Thread: How fucked was your day?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

So I wanted to pop back into this thread for some updates. A few months ago I had shared about my marriage, and a lot has transpired since then. Most notably - he has officially moved out.

I've been up and down with how I feel about things, but I found a new therapist that I really click with and I'm going weekly now. I've come to the realization that my husband always been shitty to me. I grew up in a family where every generation dealt with the most insane levels of domestic violence. As a consequence, more subtle forms of emotional abuse went totally unnoticed by me. I knew he was emotionally abusing me in the last few months, but that stuff was always there in less direct ways. He withholds affection when he doesn't like things you've done or said, he always thinks he's the smartest person in the room (he's undeniably bright, but he doesn't know everything), he holds grudges over petty things and never lets you forget about them etc. I can count on one hand the amount of times he's sincerely apologized to me in 11 years. Meanwhile, I found myself apologizing constantly.

I felt really stupid once I figured that out. I don't tolerate anybody else treating me that way, and I usually pick up on that sort of thing in other people really quickly. But it never dawned on me that he was sort of a narcissist the whole time. I mentioned that to my therapist, and he was like "I'm literally trained to do this for my job, and I don't always pick up on it either. Don't be so hard on yourself, this can happen to anybody."

Do I miss my husband? Not at all. I miss being a wife, but I don't miss being his wife. I hate that the life I was building with him turned out to be a lie. I hate that my youngest is now confused and her life will be affected in ways I can't explain to her due to her disabilities. But do I want him back? Not even a little. It's nice to not have to check in with another adult before every little thing. It's nice that my house is always clean now. It's nice that I don't have to listen to somebody complain constantly about everything. It's nice to not have to ask somebody "are you mad at me?" once a day because they are sulking in a corner somewhere and not telling me what's wrong.

His behavior has only gotten uglier since he moved out. Just constant lies about what happened between us. We've followed each other's accounts on reddit for years, and I think he forgot that. So I see all his damn posts. He made some comment in a reddit thread the other day about how I "surprised" him with divorce by packing up all his shit. Which is obviously a lie. He was also mad that I unfriended him on Facebook. Remember - this is a man who made sure to tell me how selfish, unemotional and unattractive I am repeatedly for months on his way out the door. Why do you want to be Facebook friends with me? I didn't unfriend him as a punitive measure, I unfriended him because we aren't fucking friends.

He's getting everything he wants, so why is he so angry at me? What's with the lying to strangers on the internet? It's so bizarre.

Anyway, this whole thing will hopefully be legally concluded this fall. It has made me extremely wary of dating or remarrying again in the future. Maybe one day I'll date again, but I never want to share finances or a house with anybody again. I'm too paranoid about my daughter's safety to bring another dude into my house, and I'm too paranoid about my own judgement to trust anybody romantically since I clearly didn't recognize how awful he really was.

In conclusion, I'm actually doing ok practically speaking and no longer heartbroken. Mostly just mad at myself right now.
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 06-21-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    In conclusion, I'm actually doing ok practically speaking and no longer heartbroken. Mostly just mad at myself right now.
    I'm really glad you're doing okay. But, please don't be mad at yourself. You're a good person - that's why you didn't see what a BAD person he is.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Do I miss my husband? Not at all. I miss being a wife, but I don't miss being his wife. I hate that the life I was building with him turned out to be a lie. I hate that my youngest is now confused and her life will be affected in ways I can't explain to her due to her disabilities. But do I want him back? Not even a little. It's nice to not have to check in with another adult before every little thing. It's nice that my house is always clean now. It's nice that I don't have to listen to somebody complain constantly about everything. It's nice to not have to ask somebody "are you mad at me?" once a day because they are sulking in a corner somewhere and not telling me what's wrong.

Mad for what? Waiting this long until there was an end to it? Don't be mad. You had a life together, and with a household/house/mortgage etc. and children there are always strings attached. It's natural to try and "safe" what you have, or at least give it the benefit of the doubt.

I kind of get what you mean and what you write really reminds me of myself, although in a pretty different situation.
    I recently ended a six year relationship and came to the conclusion that I value my freedom, independence and solitude (and I mean this in a good way) more than anything else in this life. I'm not a domestic housewife. I don't want to grow roots, I'm not a tree. I don't need marriage for the sake of social compulsion. I will, for my own personal reasons, never have children. It's hard to find a guy who really is OK with my life choices. Most fake to be OK with it, those encounters usually ended quickly. Others were OK with it but eventually grew soft on me and started pressuring me into that white-picket-fence-house/marry me/plant-a-tree/have-a-kid direction. It's okay, it's what most people want out of life, I get it. My previous long-term relationship ex, who I admittedly turned down pretty badly, is happily married with two kids and a home now, we parted ways exactly because of things taking that turn..
    This latest one? Let's see where he ends up. At least there's no drama, I'm really not into drama. Just two adults splitting up a household, works for me.

As for the colonoscopy (this is a weird change of topics, man..): glad it all went well and seems to be nothing serious! I'd so insist on getting hammered with drugs. No way I'd do that consciously, haha
    Last edited by shade; 06-21-2021 at 03:25 PM.