Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I’ve had this album on repeat today. Loving it so far! “White Elephant” is one his most direct political commentaries and its masterfully done. And “Albuquerque” is a great ballad that sums up life in a pandemic. The more immediate nature of it has me giving it far more listens than I did Ghosteen when it first dropped.

How’s everybody else feeling about the new album?
    Another absolute stunner! Nick is on quite a roll musically since "Push the Sky Away". I hope we get to see him with the Bad Seeds in the sort of near future. Last concert I saw before the shit hit the fan was Red Hand Files in Seattle, November 2019. Had tickets for the cancelled tour. I've got a feeling that Trent & Atticus will be enjoying "Carnage".

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    "turning chickens into fountains..."

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The Bad Seeds died after Murder Ballads.....Everything since has just been mostly piano ballad albums with the occasional one off conventional rock record (Dig Lazarus Dig).....Everything Nick touched from 1980-1996 was fucking perfection but man I just am tired of these ballad albums. I wish he would do something back in the blues genre. Bring back the raucous Bad Seeds sound

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    The Bad Seeds died after Murder Ballads.....Everything since has just been mostly piano ballad albums with the occasional one off conventional rock record (Dig Lazarus Dig).....Everything Nick touched from 1980-1996 was fucking perfection but man I just am tired of these ballad albums. I wish he would do something back in the blues genre. Bring back the raucous Bad Seeds sound
    I could not disagree with this more. I feel like I have the exact opposite feeling. I've enjoyed everything he's put out, but I love the sound of Abattoir Blues, and anything that's in that direction atmospherically is a big hit with me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I could not disagree with this more. I feel like I have the exact opposite feeling. I've enjoyed everything he's put out, but I love the sound of Abattoir Blues, and anything that's in that direction atmospherically is a big hit with me.
    abattoir / lyre is one of my fav bad seeds albums but i haven't liked anything they've done since then. it was also their best album SINCE murder ballads.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 03-03-2021 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Same. I haven't liked anything since 2004. I appreciate the fact that the more recent albums branch out and explore, but they just don't do anything for me.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    *Bump*

This thread hasn't been touched in a while.

I jut wanted to mention the "new" song for the B-Sides & Rarities Part 2, is beautiful (i think it's a Grinderman B Side actually) and a welcome reminder of the older style before the "Push the Sky Away" trilogy...

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Nick had a nice tribute to Charlie Watts in the latest Red Hand Files.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    i think it's a Grinderman B Side actually
    Nick said it's from 2006, probably from shortly before they formed Grinderman. Which you can hear imo, as it's not as rough as the Grinderman material...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Nick said it's from 2006, probably from shortly before they formed Grinderman. Which you can hear imo, as it's not as rough as the Grinderman material...
    Yes, it sounds more like an "Abbatoir Blues" track, although Grinderman had some "mellow tracks" like "Man in the Moon", "Chain of Flowers" or "Palaces of Montezuma", so i could see the song being on both bands with no issue, but it does sound more like a Bad Seeds track.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-18-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

So far, so good, love the early versions of the Skeleton Tree tracks and i'm happy he finally released "Animal X" and "Give us a Kiss".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Fantastic!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    A bunch of Grinderman unreleased tracks leaked awhile back and a lot of them were mellow songs. Probably were from the early writing sessions since they pick up where Abbatoir Blues left off and Nick was still in balladeer mode

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Nick & Warren tickets for North America in the spring going on sale Friday. Woo hoo!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Bumping this thread just to say 'Straight To You' is such an incredible, incredible song. I've listened to Henry's Dream a few times, but for whatever reason this track never stood out to me until I watched the video last night. Now I'm obsessed and can't stop playing it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I watched the video last night. Now I'm obsessed
    Perhaps you're already familiar, but this has reminded me of the Best Of Videos DVD which includes chat from Nick and the band in between songs.

In this case they mainly talk about how drunk they got in between takes, while the stage was re-set. Very amusing indeed.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Bumping this thread just to say 'Straight To You' is such an incredible, incredible song. I've listened to Henry's Dream a few times, but for whatever reason this track never stood out to me until I watched the video last night. Now I'm obsessed and can't stop playing it.
    Henry's Dream is one of my favorites, only bad thing of it is the production, it could have been so much better!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Henry's Dream is one of my favorites, only bad thing of it is the production, it could have been so much better!
    I definitely need to spend more time with it. I've only been a fan for less than 10 years, so I've had to listen to the whole back catalog at once. I've now listened to every album 2 or 3 times (some more than others), but I'm only recently starting to really distinguish the different eras now that I've been buying them on vinyl and listening multiple times. Its just these past few weeks of relistening to everything that I've really been becoming a huge fan. Gonna have to pickup Henry's Dream next.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I saw Nick & Warren Ellis last night & it was amazing. Nick was in a great mood & did a nice, long show. Very cool lighting design. I hope we get the Bad Seeds in the US next year!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I've always loved this one. My favorite thing about it is the meta part of the lyrics where he says, "Gone are the days of rainbows And gone are the nights of swinging from the stars" in reference to "Brother, My Cup Is Empty" where he says, "I've been sliding down on rainbows I've been swinging from the stars."

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I definitely need to spend more time with it. I've only been a fan for less than 10 years, so I've had to listen to the whole back catalog at once. I've now listened to every album 2 or 3 times (some more than others), but I'm only recently starting to really distinguish the different eras now that I've been buying them on vinyl and listening multiple times. Its just these past few weeks of relistening to everything that I've really been becoming a huge fan. Gonna have to pickup Henry's Dream next.
    That's the cool thing about Nick, all his albums have great replay value and you can always find a "hidden" jewel like "Straight to You", while you are at it, check "John Finn's Wife", one of my favorite songs from "Henry's Dream", but actually the live version (from "Bad Seeds") is far superior:

Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-19-2022 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    That's the cool thing about Nick, all his albums have great replay value and you can always find a "hidden" jewel like "Straight to You", while you are at it, check "John Finn's Wife", one of my favorite songs from "Henry's Dream", but actually the live version (from "Bad Seeds") if far superior:

Live Seeds is one of my favorite records by anyone.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Live Seeds is one of my favorite records by anyone.
    It was the first Nick Cave album i ever bought!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I already planned on picking up Live Seeds from this year's RSD, after only having listened to it once. Really looking forward to spinning it a bunch now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Absolutely devastating news. Nick has lost another son. Jethro Lazenby dead at 30.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 05-09-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    This is unreal, poor guy...

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Absolutely devastating news. Nick has lost another son. Jethro Lazenby dead at 30.
    Sounds like he was a troubled soul. RIP.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    God damn.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    No parent should have to bury a child, much less two. There are no words for a pain like this.

May Jethro rest in peace and may his parents find the strenght to get through this.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Really sad.