Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Exciting news. I hope They let some of the Grinderman aesthetic remain in the band.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just dropped $200 on the deluxe boxset of Push the Sky Away. Vinylx3, CD, DVD, handbound 150 page book. Easily the best cover art to grace a Bad Seeds album too.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    whoa. intense! i'd inspect the contents of that box even further, but for some reason nick cave's official site is blocked at work? bizarre.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Push The Sky Away Super Deluxe Box Set (pre-order)

Made to order super deluxe box set. Contents encased in linen bound lift-off lid box as shown.
    Digital album delivered by e-mail 18 February 2013.
    The box set will be delivered April 2013.

Ever wanted to know how a song comes about? The very special notebook in this bespoke box set is an anatomy of the album, song by song. The multitude of written notes are painstakingly reproduced, a detailed dissection of each song, an autopsy with a runaway scalpel; dozens of unused verses, alternate song titles, rants and screeds, embarrassing digressions, photographs, drawings and scribbles that in a sane world should never see the light of day. Here Nick gives the listener an unprecedented insight into the mania of the songwriting process.

Includes:
    CD Album and vinyl album [180gm Heavyweight Vinyl]
    DVD with specially created visuals by artists Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard.
    2 x exclusive 7” vinyls containing non album bonus tracks
    Exclusive 120-page replica of Nick Cave’s handwritten, hand stamped and hand glued notebooks.
    Numbered certificate of authenticity signed by Nick Cave (original signature limited to first 300 orders)
    Exclusive liner notes

Digital download of track We No Who U R, delivered to your 'My Account' area on 3 December 2012

CD
    1 We No Who U R
    2 Wide Lovely Eyes
    3 Water's Edge
    4 Jubilee Street
    5 Mermaids
    6 We Real Cool
    7 Finishing Jubilee Street
    8 Higgs Boson Blues
    9 Push The Sky Away

Vinyl
    Side 1
    1 We No Who U R
    2 Wide Lovely Eyes
    3 Water’s Edge
    4 Jubilee Street
    5 Mermaids
    Side 2
    1 We Real Cool
    2 Finishing Jubilee Street
    3 Higgs Boson Blues
    4 Push The Sky Away

7”
    Needle Boy
    7”
    Lightning Bolts

DVD
    1 Needle Boy
    2 Lightning Bolts

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    As a huge fan of "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!" im hooked!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Nick Cave Thread

He seems to have a little more hair than usual in that video. Musically, I wonder what this album will be like. Perhaps a mellow one this time around? Seems like they might be going in a piano/drone-ish direction. We'll see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    He seems to have a little more hair than usual in that video. Musically, I wonder what this album will be like. Perhaps a mellow one this time around? Seems like they might be going in a piano/drone-ish direction. We'll see.
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds release their fifteenth studio album PUSH THE SKY AWAY on 18 February 2013
    “Well, if I were to use that threadbare metaphor of albums being like children, then Push The Sky Away is the ghost-baby in the incubator and Warren’s loops are its tiny, trembling heart-beat.” Nick Cave
    At the heart of Push the Sky Away is a naturalism and warmth that makes it the most subtly beautiful of all the Bad Seeds albums. The contemporary settings of myths, and the cultural references that have time-stamped Nick’s songs of the twenty-first century mist lightly through details drawn from the life he observed around his seaside home, through the tall windows on the album’s mysterious and ambiguous cover.
    The songs on this album took form in a modest notebook with shellac covers over the course of almost a year. The notebook is a treasured analogue artefact but the internet is equally important to Nick: Googling curiosities, being entranced by exotic Wikipedia entries “whether they’re true or not”. These songs convey how on the internet profoundly significant events, momentary fads and mystically-tinged absurdities sit side-by-side and question how we might recognise and assign weight to what’s genuinely important.
    Push the Sky Away was produced by Nick Launay and recorded at La Fabrique, a recording studio based in a 19th Century mansion in the South of France, where the walls of the main studio are lined with an immense collection of classical vinyl.
    “I enter the studio with a handful of ideas, unformed and pupal; it’s the Bad Seeds that transform them into things of wonder. Ask anyone who has seen them at work. They are unlike any other band on earth for pure, instinctive inventiveness.” Nick Cave
    On this album it’s not always apparent what instruments the band is playing: they may be traditional musical instruments but other sounds are clearly generated by objects unrelated to musical instruments. What’s being created is a collective musical language that’s rich and complex.
    Push the Sky Away has a clarity and sweet strangeness that’s built upon the refusal to accept limitations, whether they be the traditional uses and sounds of musical instruments, lyric styles, or diminished spiritual horizons.
    “I don’t know, this record just seems new, you know, but new in an old school kind of way” Nick Cave

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i really, really, really want the box set, but i have bought so many special editions and box sets recently that i can't spend the money on this.

i'm a little sad it's not getting the 5.1 treatment (as all the remasters have sounded fantastic in surround) but i guess without mick actually being in the band anymore, it makes sense that they wouldn't do that for a new album.

so...i'll probably just get the vinyl, as i have no bad seeds in that format (but i do have both grinderman albums on wax, and they sound very at home).

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    new song is decent:

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    North American Tour Dates Announced:

http://www.nickcave.com/news/north-a...tes-announced/

(PLUS: There's rumors for some South American tour dates)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    New song was ok. I think I'll like it more once the initial disappointment of the Grinderman style being absent goes away. I am so incredibly bummed out that the tour is skipping Kansas City between Chicago and Denver. So many bands skip KC, it's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Reminds me a lot of The Boatman Calls. Liking it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Reminds me a lot of The Boatman Calls. Liking it.
    that's the only album i really don't like, but i like this song quite a lot. hmmm...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's the only album i really don't like, but i like this song quite a lot. hmmm...
    I used to think the same thing about it. Eventually, I gave it another chance and fell in love with it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    With that album cover, the record should have been called The Pimpin's Ice-Cold.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    but is the album cover sexist? This is what at least 3 people are whinging about on facebook

A career pervaded by songs about murder & the suggestion of sexual menace was presumably fine though :P

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Its just a cover...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think the people who find the album cover sexist are simply looking for something to be offended by. That, or they just want an excuse to see Nick Cave naked.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, let's look at the facts, or what passes for them. The sleeve depicts a fully-dressed Cave staring daggers as he shows a cowering, naked woman the door. If this were the cover of Too $hort's latest, this conversation wouldn't be worth having, we'd know for sure that it was sexist. As it is, no one here has heard the record, and if it's full of songs about blowjobs and bawdy duets between Cave and Ellis wherein they talk about all their shared conquests, we'll have our answer. Nick Cave only just finished up ripping the piss out of Spinal Tap bro mentality via Grinderman, so I'm guessing the cover is yet another macabre joke in a career full of them. Remember, "problematic" just means "it sets my teeth on edge, but I like it anyway".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Its just a cover...
    Is it? You know for sure it's an arbitrary composition with no intent in the symbolism & that it bears no reflection & has no effect on culture at large? I have no problem with the cover but I don't think you can affirmatively say "it's just a cover", even if you're the one that put it together...

Bluecalx I think you might be right about context. My feeling is that it isn't intended to degrade women but in a very small way it adds to the tissue of female degradation that pervades our culture. But I don't think its a serious enough example to warrant any fuss. I know that sounds terribly wanky! But I think it's an interesting thing to consider.

I do wonder about some feminist positions on depictions of sexuality and women... I find it hard to accept that all depictions of submissive kinkiness are wrong somehow... I do wonder if it's a bit of cultural religious puritanism trying to rationalise its way into being expressed

Either way, it's a nice cover!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    North American Tour PreSales are happening right now at Nickcave.com
    But I got my Denver ticket! All I need to do know is figure how I'm getting from Hawaii to Denver...ugh. Debt here I come.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    pre-sales were sold out by the time my mom called me and asked if i was getting us tickets to see him (big surprise for me!) but the venue's website had a pre-sale for chase card members, so i still got great seats! WOO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got tickets for Dallas. So excited.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Jubilee Street

I'm starting to think the album is going to be closer to 'No More Shall We Part' than some of the earlier stuff, both songs are very brooding and subdued.
    I'm liking it so far - another change of pace from the the Grinderman / DLD era of Cave...
    Last edited by danebraddy; 01-14-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    oh my, is that actual...VIOLIN i hear there? bless you warren ellis, for putting down the miniature guitars and actually bringing back that dirty three-esque vibe that i loved on boatman's/no more shall we part. promising indeed. i didn't care at all for the gruff and tough of grinderman (the remnants of which appeard on dig lazarus dig) so i'm probably going to love this album...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Daaaaamn Nick is sad alright...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds confirmed for Coachella, but more interestingly so is Grinderman - is it a case of 'We're there, might as well' or is Grinderman coming out of 'retirement'?

Though the Bad Seeds is my preferred Nick Cave project, I love Grinderman and think they could keep going - as long as the lines between them and the Bad Seeds don't blur as much as they did in DLD and the first Grinderman record.

(Not that I didn't love DLD, but save a couple of tracks, it could have easily been labelled as a Grinderman album and no one would have thought it was strange)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "We No Who U Are" and "Jubilee Street" are fucking amazing. This new album is going to be ace. I'm also glad they're moving away from the Grinderman-DLD sound. I mean, DLD is one of my favourite Bad Seeds albums and the first Grinderman album has some awesome Birthday Party throwback moments, but there's only so far they can take that sound. Loving the diversity on these new tracks.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I'm really excited for the new album. Glad they changed the direction. Hopefully, there's at least a couple upbeat ones though. If not, I'm sure it'll be fine. The Seeds rarely disappoint.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Drip drip drip!!!!!!!

This album is remarkably beautiful.
    Last edited by richardp; 02-05-2013 at 12:15 AM.