Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Yeah seriously. Swinging for the fences with that one.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Very excited for the new double album. That artwork title is very...on the nose. But hopefully it will help him work through everything since his son's death.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Great news... but that album cover reminds me of Thomas Kinkade, yo.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Great news... but that album cover reminds me of Thomas Kinkade, yo.

my wife and i tried to watch this movie because we thought it would be hilariously bad (and we love jared padalecki from supernatural) but my goodness it was just too bad​ to sit through.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    About 20 min through the live premiere stream and so far it's fairly light on percussion, lots of swirling synths and I'm getting a pretty melancholy vibe from a lot of the parts I'm hearing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really needed this right now. Goosebumps. Great stuff.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    another excellent record from nick. still absorbing it. love that nick isn't coasting on past glories!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    the cd & lp for "ghosteen" came out friday. listening to the cd now. reinforces my feeling that this the best record of the year by far. stunning on all levels.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I mean, Ghosteen is good... it's fine. They have certainly locked in their sound over the last three albums. On one hand it's wonderful, but on the other I feel like there's starting to be a lack of dynamism here. The songs from Push, Skeleton and Ghosteen all could have been on each other's albums and you'd never know the difference. I think this has been growing since Mick Harvey left the band and the collaboration with Warren Ellis has grown. What they do is magnificent but it's also become very limiting to their sound. Where's a track like Do You Love Me?, Hallelujah, There She Goes My Beautiful World, anything from Dig Lazarus Dig? It's like they hate the thought of guitar and drums these days. I'm not asking for outright bangers but just something with a little more instrumentation than sweeping strings.

And listen, I get it... who am I to complain about the man, he's a legend, he's given us so much and he drew such a shitty hand recently. I love him and I realize that after 40 years in the business he can do whatever the hell he wants. Incredible respect. I'm just longing for some Bad Seeds rhythm again.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    The songs from Push, Skeleton and Ghosteen all could have been on each other's albums and you'd never know the difference.
    They're meant to be seen as a trilogy though, so I imagine that's intentional.

And once your whole world gets turned upside down, I think it would be kind of hard to go back to doing what you did before. Also, Cave strikes me as the sort of person who isn't interested in doing what he did before, but exploring other avenues. If he's not doing tracks like the ones you mentioned, it's because he's done that already, and because those tracks may have been written by someone who doesn't exist anymore.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I mean, Ghosteen is good... it's fine. They have certainly locked in their sound over the last three albums. On one hand it's wonderful, but on the other I feel like there's starting to be a lack of dynamism here. The songs from Push, Skeleton and Ghosteen all could have been on each other's albums and you'd never know the difference. I think this has been growing since Mick Harvey left the band and the collaboration with Warren Ellis has grown. What they do is magnificent but it's also become very limiting to their sound. Where's a track like Do You Love Me?, Hallelujah, There She Goes My Beautiful World, anything from Dig Lazarus Dig? It's like they hate the thought of guitar and drums these days. I'm not asking for outright bangers but just something with a little more instrumentation than sweeping strings.

And listen, I get it... who am I to complain about the man, he's a legend, he's given us so much and he drew such a shitty hand recently. I love him and I realize that after 40 years in the business he can do whatever the hell he wants. Incredible respect. I'm just longing for some Bad Seeds rhythm again.
    I get what you say, i liked "Ghosteen" just like the last 3 albums, but i also would like to hear something done on the "older style", Grinderman would be great for this.

But just like Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Dylan or Even Iggy Pop, he's doing whatever he wants and he couldn't care less to "go back" to the "older style", yet i think another album like "Dig, Lazarus, Dig" would be awesome!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I get what you say, i liked "Ghosteen" just like the last 3 albums, but i also would like to hear something done on the "older style", Grinderman would be great for this.

But just like Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Dylan or Even Iggy Pop, he's doing whatever he wants and he couldn't care less to "go back" to the "older style", yet i think another album like "Dig, Lazarus, Dig" would be awesome!

He said a few months ago in one of his Q&As on his website, that he was intrigued at the idea of bringing Grinderman back so there is still hope. Those 2 Grinderman records are the best work he's done since his mid 90s Let Love In/Murder Ballads era

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'm just longing for some Bad Seeds rhythm again.
    Regarding the drums there's this interesting tidbit from Nick in the latest Red Hand Files:

Thomas Wydler, our drummer, did some amazing work on this record, however, after a great deal of thought, we all felt that the drums anchored the songs to the ground and didn’t allow them to float. The decision was not made lightly or on a whim, rather it was a tough artistic decision determined by the needs of the songs themselves. Although there is little drumming on the first part of Ghosteen, Tommy’s absence is courageous and monumental and gives the record its amorphous sound. He is the very best there is.The decision as to what sort of record we make is largely out of our hands. We have no ‘intentions’ beyond meaning itself. The record must mean something, right? What more can we ask? The form that that expression of meaning comes in is, to some degree, beside the point. We are slaves to manifest meaning and masters to nothing at all.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Much of this album sounds to me like if Nick Cave was the lead singer of Sigur Ros. Which is kinda cool.
    Last edited by imail724; 11-11-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The Bad Seeds truly stopped being the Bad Seeds when Blixa left....They are in a mode now where they seem to be repeating themselves. Remember they already did the trilogy of slow piano ballad albums from 97-03 (which is one of the reasons Blixa left)......Nick has nothing to prove anymore, but man I wish he would go back to his rawer sound. I don't expect Tender Prey 2.0 or Let Love In 2.0 but I will settle for Grinderman 2.0....
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 11-11-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    The Bad Seeds truly stopped being the Bad Seeds when Blixa left....They are in a mode now where they seem to be repeating themselves. Remember they already did the trilogy of slow piano ballad albums from 97-03 (which is one of the reasons Blixa left)......Nick has nothing to prove anymore, but man I wish he would go back to his rawer sound. I don't expect Tender Prey 2.0 or Let Love In 2.0 but I will settle for Grinderman 2.0....
    Word is there is a new Grinderman project in the works. Hope they tour. The show I saw was phenomenal!

PS: sorry posted too soon. didnt see the Grinderman post above mine.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I would love to see Trent & Atticus do something like this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...nia-Choir.html

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit, talk about a Christmas Eve gift.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    what a man, i'm finally going through his discography, i've been slowly but surely purchasing every one of his records these past few weeks since ghosteen came out and it's a really fulfilling experience.
    I kinda prefer his later years but there is something rewarding in every single release.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    what a man, i'm finally going through his discography, i've been slowly but surely purchasing every one of his records these past few weeks since ghosteen came out and it's a really fulfilling experience.
    I kinda prefer his later years but there is something rewarding in every single release.
    interesting! i definitely prefer his early-to-middle period (honestly everything up until "dig lazarus dig", which is their first album that didn't do much for me) but it's always exciting when someone else gets into something!

have you been getting CDs, vinyl, or digital? the 5.1 mixes on the CD/DVD releases that came out about ten years ago are pretty cool (and each DVD has a little documentary about the band around the time period of each album), and the remastered vinyl (which i'm pretty sure uses the same stereo mixes from the CD portion of those releases) sounds fantastic.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    interesting! i definitely prefer his early-to-middle period (honestly everything up until "dig lazarus dig", which is their first album that didn't do much for me) but it's always exciting when someone else gets into something!

have you been getting CDs, vinyl, or digital? the 5.1 mixes on the CD/DVD releases that came out about ten years ago are pretty cool (and each DVD has a little documentary about the band around the time period of each album), and the remastered vinyl (which i'm pretty sure uses the same stereo mixes from the CD portion of those releases) sounds fantastic.
    I'm not too fussy about the medium and I have been getting back into CDs lately so I bought the 90's pressings mostly, so many bargains with these now.
    I read good things about the 09 remasters so i will have to check them out eventually.

I find his recent work to be more emotional if that makes sense but the 90s stuff is impossible to discount really, it's mostly the 80s that i am less driven to.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    From Your Funeral... My Trial to The Boatman's Call is gold.

Hate to be generic but Let Love is in so great and my favorite. Do You Love Me?, Loverman, Jangling Jack and Red Right Hand are the best.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    From Her To Eternity is still my favorite. It merges The Birthday Party with the Bad Seeds sound more than any of his other albums....Firstborn Is Dead doesn't get a lot of love (aside from Tupelo). Thats another brilliant album. Closest hes ever come to doing a blues record

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    From Her To Eternity is still my favorite. It merges The Birthday Party with the Bad Seeds sound more than any of his other albums....Firstborn Is Dead doesn't get a lot of love (aside from Tupelo). Thats another brilliant album. Closest hes ever come to doing a blues record
    first born is dead is my fav album from the 80s.
    let love in and henry's dream are tied for the 90s.
    and abattoir blues / lyre of orpheus is probably my fav album overall.

the only single song i dislike from before "dig..." is "deanna" which i could die happy without ever having to hear again. even when my mom and i saw them live and they played it i just wanted it to end hahahaha

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    None of those Firstborn songs are ever played live (other than Tupelo) But there are a few SBDs floating around from 85 where he practically plays the entire album live which is sick....Henry's Dream is a masterpiece. No idea why he hated the production so much.....Let Love In is probably his masterpiece and the definitive Bad Seeds LP....If any of my friends ask me what the Bad Seeds sound like, I always tell them to listen to that album first

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    my favorite of the 80s is your funeral, my trial.
    fav. from the 90s is let love in or the boatman's call.
    all time favorite is probably no more shall we part.
    don't really care for nocturama (has a few good songs though), grinderman, or dig lazarus dig (aside from a song or two).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    My favorite from the 80's is "Kicking Against the Pricks", i know its a covers album, but i enjoy it from top to bottom
    Favorite from the 90's is "Henry's Dream" (despite the weak production)
    Favorite from 00's is "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!"
    All time fav probably is "Let Love In", but i love "Henry's dream"
    Don't care for "Nocturama" and "No More Shall we Part" (it's a good album, but never in the mood for it...)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "No More Shall we Part" (it's a good album, but never in the mood for it...)
    this is exactly how i feel about it, too! i have a hard time with the albums that don't have any/many loud songs, and this having only one (dead man in my bed) makes it hard for it to hold my attention. the boatman's call is another one that i'm basically never in the mood for, despite liking pretty much all the songs on it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    this is exactly how i feel about it, too! i have a hard time with the albums that don't have any/many loud songs, and this having only one (dead man in my bed) makes it hard for it to hold my attention. the boatman's call is another one that i'm basically never in the mood for, despite liking pretty much all the songs on it.
    For some reason it never holds my attention, funny, 'cause for "similar" albums like "The Boatman's Call" or "Push the Sky Away" i'm usually in the mood.
    I like most of the songs on "No More Shall We Part", so yes, it's weird, maybe the lenght? I'm starting to feel similar towards "Ghosteen"...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    just watched "Distant Sky" again. IMHO, its 1 of the best pure concert films ever & gets better with every view. hopefully Nick will release it with the full on 5.1 mix at some point. I've never seen Nick in a large venue (except for Lollapalooza the year Smashing Pumpkins headlined) & I like he has managed to keep the shows intimate in an arena setting. I recently saw a "Conversations" show in a small theater & realize those days are gone for Bad Seeds shows. I will miss seeing them in smaller venues but Nick has definitely paid his dues & deserves the respect. Along with Trent, Nick is 1 of the few artists who has managed to not be chained down by his past & continued to grow. Really hope they bring the tour to the US next fall after the European run. Am excited to hear what they do with the "Ghosteen" material live. Such an amazing record!