Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Friendship Thread

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    That’s fair and certainly part of my apprehension, @klyrish.

@Erneuert Done deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I SUCK at socializing.
    I grew up with social anxiety but I'm trying to get over my "shyness". I actually get terrified that I won't be interesting enough for the people who are interesting to me.

It's so strange that I loved being in theatre in high school. I think the whole stardom disease is attractive because many people automatically like you without you having to talk to them.

Well I'd rather be a real friend to real people no matter how much "off-stage-fright" I get IRL.
    Too bad there's a pandemic going on now, because I can't wait to make friends.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've more or less detached myself from my best friend, and it's weird and it hurts.

I met the guy way back in high school, and we were pretty inseparable for a long time after that. Even after we both left home, and moved to entirely different countries, we'd still email or message each other daily, and see one another at least once a year during the holidays.

That's not so much the case anymore. He's since been hired to produce videos for a popular YouTube channel, and his girlfriend has a baby on the way. And while I'm happy for him, I don't feel like he has much space for me in his life anymore. I'll still message him occasionally, but getting a response feels like pulling teeth. I dunno, maybe drifting apart from your old friends is simply a function of getting older, as people build their own lives, but it still sucks.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    I've more or less detached myself from my best friend, and it's weird and it hurts.

I met the guy way back in high school, and we were pretty inseparable for a long time after that. Even after we both left home, and moved to entirely different countries, we'd still email or message each other daily, and see one another at least once a year during the holidays.

That's not so much the case anymore. He's since been hired to produce videos for a popular YouTube channel, and his girlfriend has a baby on the way. And while I'm happy for him, I don't feel like he has much space for me in his life anymore. I'll still message him occasionally, but getting a response feels like pulling teeth. I dunno, maybe drifting apart from your old friends is simply a function of getting older, as people build their own lives, but it still sucks.
    That's pretty much how it goes when someone's career takes off and/or they have a kid. I've been on your end of that situation myself. But take heart and be patient, because there's a decent chance that when things slow down for him, he'll miss you. I don't know how he couldn't, with how close you guys were.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    That's pretty much how it goes when someone's career takes off and/or they have a kid. I've been on your end of that situation myself. But take heart and be patient, because there's a decent chance that when things slow down for him, he'll miss you. I don't know how he couldn't, with how close you guys were.
    Maybe, I hope you're right. Even so, the halcyon days of us trading music, film and game recommendations is clearly over; he no longer has the time for these things. I'm never going to mention this this to him, of course, so I'm left to quietly mourn the new status quo of our relationship.