Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: "Find My Way" debuts on Zane Lowe (8.22.2013)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Find my Way is trending on twitter...which is cool, I guess.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's so fucking good god dammnit I want this album right fucking now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Um, if you are going to premiere a song, have some respect. Talking like an idiot during each song is not a prerequisite of being a DJ. Talking like an idiot maybe, but not during the world premiere of a song. And fuck everyone who thinks it's justified as being a watermark to protect sales. If that's what TR was really thinking then have some integrity and don't release the song until people can buy it.
    It's definitely a watermark (whether you like that or not), but not to protect sales, but to publicize Zane. This might come as a shock to you, but Zane Lowe is running a business, not a charitable organization (well, for all I know he might be running one of those too, but that's not the topic here). What would be the point of negotiating an exclusive if he doesn't get to use it to promote himself? And he's not stupid. He knows damn well that this will be ripped and put online and if he doesn't talk over any of it, nobody will know who got the exclusive which makes getting the exclusive pointless. Talking like an idiot is not a prerequisite for being on the internet either.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I got to hear the song at Lolla first; nice to hear the studio version. It sounds like a Ghosts track with words and I mean that in a good way - it a nighttime introspective piece.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    It's definitely a watermark (whether you like that or not), but not to protect sales, but to publicize Zane. This might come as a shock to you, but Zane Lowe is running a business, not a charitable organization (well, for all I know he might be running one of those too, but that's not the topic here). What would be the point of negotiating an exclusive if he doesn't get to use it to promote himself? And he's not stupid. He knows damn well that this will be ripped and put online and if he doesn't talk over any of it, nobody will know who got the exclusive which makes getting the exclusive pointless. Talking like an idiot is not a prerequisite for being on the internet either.
    Wasn't he completely silent during the entirety of "everything"?

He's a twat.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post

He's a twat.
    Everything wasn't an exclusive, so to speak, because the studio version was thrown out into the wild an hour later when it was dropped into our nin.com accounts. FMW, on the other hand, so far has been exclusive to that one airing of it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

He's a twat.
    I'm guessing because Trent was sitting right in front of him. lol
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-23-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I feel like a bunch of hardcore nin fans on a nin message board obsessively listening to (and bitching about) a radio premiere of a song are probably not the people who should be armchair-quarterbacking how to market and release a record

to add to my inevitable facepalm, am I the only person who doesn't think Zane Lowe is a total dick? He's a hyper guy, but he actually conducts pretty good interviews and tends to actually know what he's talking about most of the time. He does some research. Give me a guy like that, even with the hyper personality, over some milquetoast PR-regurgitation anyday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    nothing to see here...move along.
    Last edited by broevol; 08-23-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I feel like a bunch of hardcore nin fans on a nin message board obsessively listening to (and bitching about) a radio premiere of a song are probably not the people who should be armchair-quarterbacking how to market and release a record

to add to my inevitable facepalm, am I the only person who doesn't think Zane Lowe is a total dick? He's a hyper guy, but he actually conducts pretty good interviews and tends to actually know what he's talking about most of the time. He does some research. Give me a guy like that, even with the hyper personality, over some milquetoast PR-regurgitation anyday
    Totally agree with your post here, especially the top part. I do find Zane a little annoying but he does a great job in promoting bands and he does have a genuine love for a lot of the bands he promotes. I'll say it again, getting angry about a DJ that talks over a part of a song is like getting angry that the sky is blue. It's radio, it's what they do.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    Totally agree with your post here, especially the top part. I do find Zane a little annoying but he does a great job in promoting bands and he does have a genuine love for a lot of the bands he promotes. I'll say it again, getting angry about a DJ that talks over a part of a song is like getting angry that the sky is blue. It's radio, it's what they do.
    oh, he can totally be annoying. but so can my wife and almost all of my friends. (this isn't to say I love Zane, but I don't mind him now and then.)

but, you're right -- he does a great job of promoting bands, and moreover, he seems genuinely passionate about music, and that comes through. I appreciate that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    FMW>ZL

Despite his attempts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Totally agree with this 100%. Zane is a GREAT promoter of new music, there's no one else in the UK who does this.
    Again, I refuse to spoil the album, so I've not listened, but an article says he spoke over the last 15 seconds. Of a 4min+ track!
    Fucking wah wah wah. Grow a pair a just wait until you have the album.

Its the same whining as everyone saying 'PM me a link' for the previous tracks. Why don't you just buy the track from iTunes/amazon or better, buy the album from nin.com instead of being bitches and begging for a freebie.

it really annoyed me to see so many fair weather fans come out begging for tracks so they could avoid paying (supporting nin), just as it annoys me to see so many people bitching about Zane! He's the only DJ who's played ANY nin here in the uk, atkeast appreciate that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good way to promote yourself: pissing off the people who listen to you for the first time, and stepping all over the artists you depend on.

Way to think it through.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 08-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good way to promote yourself, pissing off the people who listen to you for the first time, and stepping all over the artists you depend on. You must work in marketing.
    Considering it's trending on twitter i'd say its worked perfectly. It seems like the only person here who is clueless about promotion is yourself.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    Considering it's trending on twitter i'd say its worked perfectly. It seems like the only person here who is clueless about promotion is yourself.
    Everything was never trending and Zane played that too.

The song is trending because it's good, if Zane didn't premere it I have no doubt someone else would and it would still be trending.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good way to promote yourself: pissing off the people who listen to you for the first time, and stepping all over the artists you depend on.

Way to think it through.
    Funny how the only person thinking the artist is getting "stepped all over" are a handful of internet drama queens and not the artists themselves.

Keep going though. This is kind of amusing. But only kind of.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

The song is trending because it's good, if Zane didn't premere it I have no doubt someone else would and it would still be trending.
    And people would be bitching about that person talking over it.

Since that's what DJs do.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    And people would be bitching about that person talking over it.

Since that's what DJs do.
    None of the DJ's where I live do that, I honestly thought that fad died off in the late 80s/early 90s because they realized how annoying it was.

EDIT: They DO skip the intros of most tracks, or will talk up until the lyrics start though - but never, ever, ever on a premier or the first playing of a notable track.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I've rarely heard premieres where the song was talked over, especially not cutting off the end.

It's amateur hour. But keep slobbing this guys knob if it makes you happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seems to work for the artist, this was the 4th? or so time he has appeared on Zane's show and theres usually a new song played at some point each time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've rarely heard premieres where the song was talked over, especially not cutting off the end.

It's amateur hour. But keep slobbing this guys knob if it makes you happy.
    Wait it was cut off? It sounded like it was going to segue into the next song, like closer into ruiner

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuckit View Post
    Wait it was cut off? It sounded like it was going to segue into the next song, like closer into ruiner
    It COULD have been a segue but I couldn't tell over mr monty pythons yammering.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    lols

But yeah, I'm willing to bet the "outro" you can make out is a part of the soundscape from this track to All Time Low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It wasn't cut off. The fuji version ends similarly with the drone at the end. But you could say it was cut off when Zane started yapping away again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Zane Lowe can be a little annoying it's true but his show is pretty solid. When you compare it with most radio programs around the world, it's definitely among the better ones. Jian Ghomeshi's interview with Trent on Q a few months ago was top notch in my opinion.

But going back to the song, it's just great. I've been listening to this in loop for a couple of weeks now and the studio version is even better! I'm surprised at the lyrics though. They seem more "Fragile"-like than "Happy guy" with wife and kids. I'm getting more and more curious about the album. Can't wait for it. It's going to be a very eclectic piece.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Goosebumps; thank you Nine Inch Nails!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think this is my favourite so far. I cannot stop listening to this.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    As with every song released so far, this one sounds even better with headphones. I went on a hike today and never noticed the little underlying bass notes during the second verse.

GAH! I'm so impressed with everything released so far!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Because you know, it's totally surprising that #EVERYTHING wasn't trending, right?

Zane did a decent job with promoting NIN, say whatever you want. Yes, he talked over it, so we couldn't have a perfect radio rip of the song instead of actually buying it, big fucking deal. Yes, he's hyper. I don't like hyper people. However, if you're gonna have someone work on the radio I think he shouldn't sound like a sleeping pill either.