Page 114 of 160 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114 115 116 124 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,420 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    The Slip is... totally unique in hearing NIN that stripped back.
    Still and With Teeth would like to have a word with you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loopcloses View Post
    The Slip is maybe my favorite NIN to listen to, full stop, if not the best album or the one I feel the most strongly about. It's this raw, tight little journey and it's totally unique in hearing NIN that stripped back. There was a very long time that it was my least favorite of the records but once it clicked, it clicked.

Though I will say Bad Witch could threaten it if it doesn't wear off; this record has a sense of real vitality to it and it goes on a similar journey from aggressive to reflective that resonates with me.
    Feeling the same way about The Slip. Though I love NTAE a lot as well in the same manner.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Still and With Teeth would like to have a word with you.
    See, I don't think With Teeth is stripped back. For example, You Know Who You Are? contains drums, bass, three-ish guitars, two synths, and a piano all playing distinct parts at once, and I may not have even counted everything as it's so dense it's hard to pick out the instruments.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don’t get the “stripped back” foment for WT. It may not be the most layered thing he’s ever done but the album/production sounds very polished IMHO. Unlike say the production of The Slip or the “rockers” from Bad Witch (which kind of sounds like slightly more polished songs from TS era).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, With Teeth is basically arena rock by way of NIN--very grandiose sounding, a lot going on. Even in the songs with less going on, they're still designed to have that "big" feel. There are exceptions, of course, but even then it's not in the same way that The Slip feels.

Still is obviously stripped back because it's a pseudo-acoustic album, a totally different animal from The Slip's aggressive garage sound.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    *steps up on soapbox* I was not too big of a fan of "Less Than" but I was willing to give it a chance if I heard it live. Heard it live at the Las Vegas show this past June while I was uncomfortably squished preventing myself from falling and getting trampled on by assholes in the pit. Completely ruined that song experience for me. *steps off of soapbox*

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OoopiDoop View Post
    *steps up on soapbox* I was not too big of a fan of "Less Than" but I was willing to give it a chance if I heard it live. Heard it live at the Las Vegas show this past June while I was uncomfortably squished preventing myself from falling and getting trampled on by assholes in the pit. Completely ruined that song experience for me. *steps off of soapbox*
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I've heard Less Than live twice. It made The Hand That Feeds feel a bit saggy in comparison. Personally, I'd put it up there with Head Like A Hole.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Not a fan of the live version of “Shit Mirror” with Robin singing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I know. That’s why I put it in this thread. I wish I liked it. In fact, most NIN songs sound better live.

This one just doesn’t work for me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Let's make a deal: I get all your future performances of Shit Mirror and you get all my future performances of Hurt.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I’m the guy that’s been begging for AATCHB to replace Hurt, though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I really believe that they should have streamed their show at Rock Werchter. Controversial or not, i don't even know anymore...

For those interested, this is a playlist which i composed about their show on Werchter. I did not film, nor upload the videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Vi8t_r5ct9fnPc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    ^That's the beauty with NIN super fans, we all have such different views. Some people love HESITATION... I dont.

I LOVE Y_Z, almost more than TF, and love it way more than TS, HESITATION, TRILOGY... I can understand how some may feel like Y_Z has a reoccurring sound; but for me I love the album, its an amazing story and LOADED with content. More than any other album IMO.

- 'TBOTE' Is a good old fashioned rock song!!
    - 'The Good Soldier' is a song I always get lost in... LOVE IT
    - Vessel makes me feel awesome
    - 'Capital G' gets me singing
    - 'My Violent Heart' makes me want to get out my eye liner and wear all black;
    - 'The Warning' Is such a good observation of humanity, I love Trents poems
    - 'God Given' is a great track
    - 'Meet Your Master' is fucking funky and powerful, the NIN that I LOVE! Come on down come on down come on doooWWWwnnnnNNn
    - 'TGD' I love the vocals, then the all out destruction at the end.
    - 'Zero Sum' - A M A Z I N G

YZ is a great album, I love how Vessel, My Violent Heart, TGD sounds, especially the end of those songs, all this noise destruction !
    Meet Your Master is pretty "meh", too easy, almost a pop song.

But I have a question, why all this compression for TBOTE ?? It sounds like a crappy mp3 and it is the only one who sounds like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Background World sounds a bit like the bridge escape scene from Escape from New York

The Background World at 2:30

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic Voyager View Post
    The Background World sounds a bit like the bridge escape scene from Escape from New York

The Background World at 2:30
    I don't know how that's controversial, but I don't hear a resemblance. Like, at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I don't know how that's controversial, but I don't hear a resemblance. Like, at all.
    we disagree... thus it is controversial.

it is a vibe thing... I thought of the bridge crossing scene in the movie when I heard that part of the song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So a friend of mine was watching the Mad Cool show on Youtube. He text me, "Is Atticus the Fletch of NIN? All I see him do is dance. Doesn't look like he's playing or pressing any buttons!" I explained to him what he does, but it was worth a chuckle.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic Voyager View Post
    it is a vibe thing... I thought of the bridge crossing scene in the movie when I heard that part of the song.
    luuuuul

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Lol. I keep wondering what Atticus really does. Even though Alessandro plays lots of bass and guitar nowadays it seems he still responsible for most of the atmosphere and backing track stuff. Is there any song where we can hear Atticus besides The Great Destroyer (which I assume he makes some of the noises in the end)?

My controversial opinion: Trent's "Heys" during the concerts are a little annoying.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    My controversial opinion: Trent's "Heys" during the concerts are a little annoying.
    =|

I don't want to go so far as to say I agree that they're "annoying" per se, but... I will say that I love when he throws in some vocal flourishes or changes at spots that aren't the usual ones. I'm not sure how common it is, but I don't think I'd ever heard "Nothing can stop me now 'cause I don't give a fuck" before the bit of the Mad Cool stream I caught the other day. It's really surprising how the tiniest alterations can breathe new life into a song when you've heard it played the same way (impeccably) a thousand times before.

I will say that the hoots and hollers from Trent did not fit the vibe in the new BW songs at all to me. But hey, if that's the biggest criticism I can come up with about NIN, I guess things are pretty fucking good.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    I really believe that they should have streamed their show at Rock Werchter. Controversial or not, i don't even know anymore...

For those interested, this is a playlist which i composed about their show on Werchter. I did not film, nor upload the videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Vi8t_r5ct9fnPc
    Thanks for sharing! That recording of Somewhat Damaged is great, even with the static and imbalance between R/L. I know he can't really or doesn't want to scream anymore, but it's just not the same hearing "broken, bruised, forgotten, sore/too fucked up to care anymore" sung.

Oh well. Still a fantastic performance and I hope hope hope it's played night 2 of Red Rocks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I LOVE "The Idea of You" and hope that it's played live this fall!!

Since people tend to forget that song, I felt that was a controversial opinion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    year zero is 10/10

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I wish they would stop playing live the songs that are 90% backing tapes and programmed loops. Things like Find My Way, Me I'm Not, The Lovers, Sanctified v2.0. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't particularly enjoy them at the shows I attended.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Fragility 1.0 was entirely superior to Fragility 2.0.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    "No, You Don't" doesn't get enough love. The screaming on the "you think that you can beat them, I know that you won't" lines are just spectacular.

I don't know who he wrote that about, but that is some weapons-grade "fuck you" to whoever.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm not a big fan of Burning Bright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Burning Bright.
    I completely slept on NTAE and suddenly "Burning Bright" is in my NIN top 10.