3. Starsuckers, Inc.

4. Hurt

5. Deep

6. Burn

7. Happiness in Slavery

8. Down In It

9. Wish

10. Came Back Haunted

11. Everyday Is Exactly The Same (Meathead's Director's Cut)

12. Everything (Animated Cartoon)

13. Less Than

14. Sin

15. Help Me I Am In Hell

16. Gave Up

17. She's Gone Away (Live From The Roadhouse)

18. Head Like A Hole

19. March of the Pigs (Unreleased version)

20. Pinion

21. March of the Pigs (Released version)

22. The Perfect Drug

23. Only

24. Survivalism

25. The Hand That Feeds

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    We're in This Together, that's a choice you don't see for #1 often, but it's a good video nonetheless. For me, it's probably Closer - I haven't really thought about it. I do really like the March of the Pigs video. It's pretty simple, but it's an awesome live performance.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    https://metalinjection.net/news/what...group-tapeworm

Charlie Clouser: "We have a lot of recordings from that time, but they're not ready, they're in no fit state to release.."

Apologies in advance for being that asshole, but..
    I call 100% bullshit on this. You had Trent, MJK, Phil, Page, Danny, Charlie, Toni Halliday, Alan Moulder, Atticus, Jaz Coleman (allegedly) and fuck knows who else working on this thing and yet virtually none of it was fit for release? But projects made on lunch breaks like Things Falling Apart, The Slip and Ghosts I-IV are? Please..

Mind you, I'm not knocking the Slip or Ghosts; they're both perfectly enjoyable and I love them for what they are. But I highly doubt there's one person on these boards that, if the Tapeworm stuff that "just isn't up to snuff" were to leak, would say "Yea, this is horrible. Was not worth the wait or the hype and I wish I'd never heard this.."

Quite the contrary, I'd be willing to bet..

One day this shit is going to leak. It has to. And we'll all be grateful to the high heavens that it did. You'll see..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    controversial opinion: i don't give a shit about tapeworm and i wish everyone would just shut the fuck up about it

TR (+AR) have given us so much music, some of which we thought we would never hear, and yet people still find things to complain about in the realm of unreleased material. if an artist (or a group of artists) doesn't feel like something they've done is finished enough for public consumption, that's 100% their prerogative.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    controversial opinion: i don't give a shit about tapeworm and i wish everyone would just shut the fuck up about it

TR (+AR) have given us so much music, some of which we thought we would never hear, and yet people still find things to complain about in the realm of unreleased material. if an artist (or a group of artists) doesn't feel like something they've done is finished enough for public consumption, that's 100% their prerogative.
    Unfortunately for you, I'll never shut the fuck up about it. But I usually don't bring it up unless, for instance, one of the actual band members involved in the project starts talking about all this unreleased stuff that's just collecting dust somewhere on a shelf, that's probably way better than they'll give it credit for. Passive and Potions and Skin of a Drum, anyone..?

Yes, Trent has given us a flood of new music in the past 15 years, to the point where people are tired of the endless stream of scores and can't discern the subtle brilliance of each. I'll never kick that shit out of bed. Dude could release a new score every week and I'd still want more..

It's totally up to them if they don't feel Tapeworm is worthy of mass consumption. If Martin Atkins will sell the PHM demo tape for $20K on Facebook, Tapeworm will leak one day. And I'm sure you'll be right there with me proclaiming it as some deep masterful shit that should have came out in 2004.. *high-five*

I've said my piece. Now I'll shut the fuck up about it. Until Charlie or Danny or someone here utters the magic word again like Candyman into the shit mirror..

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    projects made on lunch breaks like Things Falling Apart, The Slip and Ghosts I-IV...

Mind you, I'm not knocking the Slip or Ghosts; they're both perfectly enjoyable and I love them for what they are.
    I think you may have missed one.

Things Falling Apart is my favourite NIN album.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The only stuff I care about with Tapeworm are the Phil Anselmo songs and the rumored Dave Gahan songs. Maynard doing his circa 2002/2003 APC crooning doesn't get me excited.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I think you may have missed one.

Things Falling Apart is my favourite NIN album.
    It's not as terrible as people tend to make it out to be. Did we really need a remix album with three versions of Starfuckers while "lots of recordings" from an NIN/Tool/Pantera/Depeche Mode supergroup languish in a vault somewhere? And is it as exhilarating as FDTS or Fixed..?

To some, perhaps..

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    There are three versions of Starfuckers only because they were going to make a single with Halo # of it, which got killed.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    They fucked up on Things Falling Apart by leaving off the Hillebrandt remixes of 'No You Don't' and 'The Fragile' and instead those songs were relegated to mp3 purgatory

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've been revisiting all NIN releases including the remix albums, which I usually don't care for and I gotta say I actually liked most of Things Falling Apart. I liked most of the tracks featured unlike Further Down the Spiral or Fixed where I only like one or two.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    There are three versions of Starfuckers only because they were going to make a single with Halo # of it, which got killed.
    I’ve never understood why TR decided just to call all three (Version) without differentiating them in any way on the printed track listing.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    That’s just the styling of that particular record—all the remixes are just parenthetically titled “(version)”—and, I think, in some ways a germ of the Nine Inch Nails glitch/coding idiom that’s been rolling along since the Fragile era, i.e., “Fragility_1.0”, “[WITH_TEETH]”. I don’t really know what to call it, but I feel like we all know what I’m talking about.
    True. But given they are duplicates I think they should have at least been called (Version 1), 2 and 3.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    They fucked up on Things Falling Apart by leaving off the Hillebrandt remixes of 'No You Don't' and 'The Fragile' and instead those songs were relegated to mp3 purgatory
    I agree with this. The Fragile (deconstructed) is better than the original, in my opinion. La Mer (version) was also pretty good.

Would fucking love a Things Falling Apart deluxe edition with those three songs, The New Flesh (version), Even Deeper (Love Dub), and the Untitled song from the website either added in or put on a bonus disc. Give some more material to Josh Eustis and you basically have a second album right there. At the very least, the mp3 exclusives should be released in some kind of high quality format.
    Last edited by katara; 04-29-2020 at 02:39 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ....But projects made on lunch breaks like Things Falling Apart, The Slip and Ghosts I-IV are? Please...
    While The Slip was made quickly, I get the feeling it was worked quite intensely, rather than just a thing on "lunch breaks" just because something was made under certain time limit doesn't mean it got little attention, I know you are saying those albums are good the way they are but I don't reallyl ike the implication as if they were an after-thought or smaller records or something like that

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://metalinjection.net/news/what...group-tapeworm

Charlie Clouser: "We have a lot of recordings from that time, but they're not ready, they're in no fit state to release.."

Apologies in advance for being that asshole, but..
    I call 100% bullshit on this. You had Trent, MJK, Phil, Page, Danny, Charlie, Toni Halliday, Alan Moulder, Atticus, Jaz Coleman (allegedly) and fuck knows who else working on this thing and yet virtually none of it was fit for release? But projects made on lunch breaks like Things Falling Apart, The Slip and Ghosts I-IV are? Please..

Mind you, I'm not knocking the Slip or Ghosts; they're both perfectly enjoyable and I love them for what they are. But I highly doubt there's one person on these boards that, if the Tapeworm stuff that "just isn't up to snuff" were to leak, would say "Yea, this is horrible. Was not worth the wait or the hype and I wish I'd never heard this.."

Quite the contrary, I'd be willing to bet..

One day this shit is going to leak. It has to. And we'll all be grateful to the high heavens that it did. You'll see..
    A) how likely is it that it was stored in those Universal vaults that burned up?

B) if it were stored locally, like in Trent's studio, I imagine the wait will be a long time.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    C) In the dumpster with the rest of Charlie's gear from Nothing Studios

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    While The Slip was made quickly, I get the feeling it was worked quite intensely, rather than just a thing on "lunch breaks" just because something was made under certain time limit doesn't mean it got little attention, I know you are saying those albums are good the way they are but I don't reallyl ike the implication as if they were an after-thought or smaller records or something like that
    There was considerably less thought put into them.

Ghosts was spontaneous and made without overthinking anything and just evolved into what it did over the span of about two months. The Slip was banged out with the entire live band at the time involved in a matter of three weeks, start to finish. Both have a considerable amount of filler on them, even if it’s perfectly good filler..

That’s why they both go down a lot easier than his other stuff, too. If Hesitation Marks or The Ghosts6 In The Window were made on that short a timeframe, they wouldn’t be as challenging either..

Ghosts I-IV and The Slip are most definitely smaller in scale, and they sound like it as well. They’re basically a dry run for what came after as far as his score work, Hes Marks and the EP trilogy. Neither collection is bad; far from it, in my opinion. But you can definitely tell they were banged out in a few weeks time, warts and all..

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Man, I wish I'd be able to bang out a song like Head Down in three weeks.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They were first talking about Tapeworm about 1996 or so, until TR announced it was finally dead in 2004, correct? That's eight years — which is about how long it just took the Rolling Stones to do one new song. And we've heard three ("Passive", "Potions", "Starfuckers", maybe more) that had roots in the project. So that's roughly three times more productive than Mick and Keith, man!! Tapeworm > Glimmer Twins!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Never heard about "Tobacco" and I haven't even tried that song, fucks given: 0.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I think Find My Way kinda breaks the pace of Hesitation Marks, it comes little bit too early on and is little too minimal for it to appear so early on especially considering it came after two very energetic tracks. Maybe it works little more towards the end?
    I actually think that Hesitation Marks is the only album where I am not the biggest fan of it sequencing. Maybe that's just me though, I am not sure.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don't know why it matters to me, but I would love to know if Ghosts V-VI is indeed repurposed material from unreleased soundtracks or if it is original material written for the pandemic era. Why does this matter? For me, it's always about the stories, not just the music itself. And if these were just discarded tracks for Woman at the Window or something, I don't know why that would bother me... maybe because it feels more like Trent and Atticus than NIN? I guess at this point I don't want to know...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I think most of it was made specifically for the pandemic, some stuff might have been from soundtracks but was probably greartly changed to fit these albums. The records float so well together and tell a story of the anxiety people feel with the epidemic that I cannot imagine it being made for a specific movie personally, they are concept albums at a heart even though they are instrumental.

For what it's worth I hear far more Nine Inch Nails in these albums than people give it credit for, you can hear a lot of development from Bad Witch carrying over to the Locusts while Together reminds me of Still/Fragile era.

I think it is really amusing to hear NIN release full blown Ambient and Dark Ambient albums, it all kind of goes full circle, Trent's inspirations which started off from Brian Eno, Throbbing Gristle and Coil present themselves on these records clearly.
    Last edited by HWB; 08-11-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I don't know if it's soundtrack work and I doubt it matters, but I cannot believe this was made for the pandemic. It was released ten days after the country started taking things seriously—even the most cautious left-leaning folks I know weren't expecting what happened, at such an intense level, before the end of February. Do you really think nearly three hours of music this carefully composed and mixed could have been cranked out that fast, with coronavirus specifically in mind?

I'm dubious, obviously, but I'm actually asking. Do we think that's plausible?
    I don't know honestly, The Slip was also released under a very short time frame, I guess the compariosn doesn't work as these albums are far bigger/longer, we cannot really know exactly how these tracks came to be, when they were written/performed and chances are we will neever find out.

Is it possible? I honestly do not know, but until Trent or Atticuss say otherwise I will believe this was all mostly meant for the epidemic, not sure if they would be legally allowed to release soundtracks that didn't made it into the movie with the claim that it is indeed an outtake that was rejected. I really dunno.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    While I very much enjoy All The Love In The World, the live rendition leaves much to be desired, mainly because no one in the band can pull off the falsetto section. I'd be okay with that awkward transition into the end of the song being reworked completely. Maybe take a rarely-played song and do a mash-up.
    I think it’s sad because I’ve heard Trent pull off some falsettos in recent live performances so why he can’t do it for this and the ‘perfect’ in Closer I don’t know?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    so why he can’t do it for [...] the ‘perfect’ in Closer I don’t know?
    FYI, he's been doing it in Closer since 2017. Some nights are better than others, but some of them are pretty good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like Trent's falsetto bits quite a lot because they're not always perfect. I dunno I think he does a good job with them, especially because he does it sporadically save for a few songs.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I don't know honestly, The Slip was also released under a very short time frame, I guess the compariosn doesn't work as these albums are far bigger/longer, we cannot really know exactly how these tracks came to be, when they were written/performed and chances are we will neever find out.

Is it possible? I honestly do not know, but until Trent or Atticuss say otherwise I will believe this was all mostly meant for the epidemic, not sure if they would be legally allowed to release soundtracks that didn't made it into the movie with the claim that it is indeed an outtake that was rejected. I really dunno.

now that I have heard what they pulled together for The Way It Used To Be on Watchmen and how it was a totally new genre and they had a week to do it - I actually am starting to think that at least some of Ghosts V and VI Could have been put together in a few short weeks.

and I was concerned about COVID and starting to take precautions halfway through February but that might be because I work in healthcare. Just saying while we didn’t know the extent of what was coming, the creeping sense of doom was starting for some people who were watching closely in Feb.

I still think it was probably mostly stuff from previous efforts, maybe with some reworking a or a few new songs added, but maybe I’m totally wrong.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Ghosts I-IV >> Ghosts V and VI