Page 133 of 160 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sunspots does nothing for me. i want to find it sexy. i want​ to like it. but i just...don't. and it makes me sad
    What about the synth after “and nothing can stop me now, there is nothing to fear”?!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Not sure f this counts but...I like vocals on the single version of TDTWWA more than the album version.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Not sure f this counts but...I like vocals on the single version of TDTWWA more than the album version.
    Barely familiar with the vocals on that version. Can't even remember the last time I heard that version.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    sunspots does nothing for me. i want to find it sexy. i want​ to like it. but i just...don't. and it makes me sad
    Always found that song more in the "darker" territory rather than the "sexy" one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Eh. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart (I mean which one is which) in a blind test.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I like the added “oooohs” and “whoaoah!” from the live arrangements.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Always found that song more in the "darker" territory rather than the "sexy" one.
    It feels very weird to me when anyone talks mainly of NIN as "sexy" or treats Trent like an object, and it's very common among a wider sample of fans, unfortunately. Even on reddit, all the work on a track can just be wasted on someone just listening to it because it arouses them or whatever. Trent certainly played on that in the ol days, most of all on PHM, but 30 years later.. bit weird. It's really detrimental to the music imo. Certainly the reception of Closer has something to do with it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Barely familiar with the vocals on that version. Can't even remember the last time I heard that version.
    I was going through some records the other day and forgot why I never listen to the Porter Ricks remix of TDTWWA (it's shit) and remembered the original vocals Reznor re-recorded because he thought they were "too light and shitty sounding" (or something like that). I love the lightness and, well, fragility, and always thought they worked better than the new ones.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    It feels very weird to me when anyone talks mainly of NIN as "sexy" or treats Trent like an object, and it's very common among a wider sample of fans, unfortunately. Even on reddit, all the work on a track can just be wasted on someone just listening to it because it arouses them or whatever. Trent certainly played on that in the ol days, most of all on PHM, but 30 years later.. bit weird. It's really detrimental to the music imo. Certainly the reception of Closer has something to do with it.
    I've been reading the forum for 7 or so months now, and haven't seen anything objectifying TR. Maybe elsewhere or in the past, but nothing recent.

The referenced 'sexy' song even has the chorus:
    She turns me on
    She makes it real
    I have to to apologize
    For the way I feel

While TR may have been framing addiction in a sexual context I don't see how it's unusual for someone to view the song as sexy.
    Personally I don't find the song sexy, but I don't judge those who do.

I understand TR's stance on Closer through the interviews he has given, but given his willing participation in the filming of the video, one cannot deny a sexual element. And in my mind, that's ok! I don't need to take in artistry through an asexual perspective. Last I checked, it's all part of a healthy human experience in a consenting environment.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I feel that Sunspots has swagger... which can be sexy but it's more about confidence/self-assuredness as I see it. This doesn't take into account lyrics, just the vibe I get from it.... and why I like to play it loudly.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I've been reading the forum for 7 or so months now, and haven't seen anything objectifying TR. Maybe elsewhere or in the past, but nothing recent.

The referenced 'sexy' song even has the chorus:
    She turns me on
    She makes it real
    I have to to apologize
    For the way I feel

While TR may have been framing addiction in a sexual context I don't see how it's unusual for someone to view the song as sexy.
    Personally I don't find the song sexy, but I don't judge those who do.

I understand TR's stance on Closer through the interviews he has given, but given his willing participation in the filming of the video, one cannot deny a sexual element. And in my mind, that's ok! I don't need to take in artistry through an asexual perspective. Last I checked, it's all part of a healthy human experience in a consenting environment.

I agree I agree, i'm not talking about here, but if you stray on facebook groups, even r/nin, it can get weird real fast.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I feel that Sunspots has swagger... which can be sexy but it's more about confidence/self-assuredness as I see it. This doesn't take into account lyrics, just the vibe I get from it.... and why I like to play it loudly.
    I agree with this. Swagger is the word that fits.

TBH I always thought Zero Sum was sexy... mostly the voice he used, but also the self-referential phrase of 'you are the reason' from Closer; but I enjoy how it isn't 'how I stay alive,' but rather 'I am not afraid.'
    Last edited by Magnetic; 09-12-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    What about the synth after “and nothing can stop me now, there is nothing to fear”?!
    the "vacuum cleaner" solo? i actually like that, but its incorporation into the live version of sanctified that started on the 2013 tour was a better use of it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    the "vacuum cleaner" solo? i actually like that, but its incorporation into the live version of sanctified that started on the 2013 tour was a better use of it.
    Pino Palladinos bass on that version of Sanctified was amazing

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I agree I agree, i'm not talking about here, but if you stray on facebook groups, even r/nin, it can get weird real fast.
    I stumbled into some TR fanfic on Tumblr once. It was not just cringey, but actively upsetting. If you want to write a fanfic about a fictional character with intense sexual descriptions, that's one thing. But to write a fanfic about a real human being with sexual details is really fucked up IMO. I know it's make believe, but it seems like a huge violation to me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    "stumbled"

uh huh... ;-)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    "stumbled"

uh huh... ;-)
    “I, uhh, like, accidentally fell on a bullet, and it, like, got lodged in my gut.”

- Snake from The Simpsons

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    "stumbled"

uh huh... ;-)
    caught me with my pants down, damn it!
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 09-13-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: I spelled "damn" like a beaver's dam because I'm dumber than shit.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    I stumbled into some TR fanfic on Tumblr once. It was not just cringey, but actively upsetting. If you want to write a fanfic about a fictional character with intense sexual descriptions, that's one thing. But to write a fanfic about a real human being with sexual details is really fucked up IMO. I know it's make believe, but it seems like a huge violation to me.
    Jesus H.
    Ya'll kinda up tight these days. Might as well bleach your brain of any sexual fantasy you've ever had of any REAL human being - including women you've looked at naked online or in print. What's the problem here? Oh, oh because it's a dude with a name you know that you respect musically? Ok. Because it was committed to words and not thoughts you had in your mind? WHere the fuck do you draw the line? Seriously, WTF?

And if you knew it was TR fanfic and it made you 'cringey' why the fuck were you still reading?

The morality policing here just baffles my brain.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Jesus H.
    Ya'll kinda up tight these days. Might as well bleach your brain of any sexual fantasy you've ever had of any REAL human being - including women you've looked at naked online or in print. What's the problem here? Oh, oh because it's a dude with a name you know that you respect musically? Ok. Because it was committed to words and not thoughts you had in your mind? WHere the fuck do you draw the line? Seriously, WTF?

And if you knew it was TR fanfic and it made you 'cringey' why the fuck were you still reading?

I don't think the fantasizing is wrong. Everybody does that and everybody finds something attractive about a stranger at some point in their lives.

It's writing it down and posting it to the internet that I think is a mistake. You might be right: maybe this is a stupid thing to be bothered by and I don't really have any concrete reason why I think it's a bad idea.

But all I keep thinking is "what if I had a strange man write down their fantasies about me and post it to the internet with my name attached to it?" For me personally, that would scare the shit out of me. Maybe it doesn't bother him, in which case no harm no foul.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Pino Palladinos bass on that version of Sanctified was amazing
    i actually prefer the version with josh on bass, before pino joined the band, but​ i love the backing vocals that lisa and charlotte brought in later...so i'm torn.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Jesus H.

Meh for me it's bad when it hinders good discussion, nobody talks about anything good on tumblr so why not post your fanfic there

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    i actually prefer the version with josh on bass, before pino joined the band, but​ i love the backing vocals that lisa and charlotte brought in later...so i'm torn.
    Those two really added something special to the songs they sang on. I didn't even LIKE "Sanctified" until that tour. Between those two and Pino I suddenly loved a song I skipped for two decades.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Because this the controversial opinions thread and we're talking about Sanctified, let me be the dissenting voice and say that the original is so much better in every conceivable way. The cool thing about the 2013 remix is the fact that TR pulled the song out of mothballs after decades of not playing it... but unfortunately, it's not the song I know and love. It's not bad; I still like the 2013 mix, it's just not Sanctified to me anymore.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Because this the controversial opinions thread and we're talking about Sanctified, let me be the dissenting voice and say that the original is so much better in every conceivable way. The cool thing about the 2013 remix is the fact that TR pulled the song out of mothballs after decades of not playing it... but unfortunately, it's not the song I know and love. It's not bad; I still like the 2013 mix, it's just not Sanctified to me anymore.
    Out of interest, have you heard the version from the Bowie tour? It has a totally different and great intro. I love them all but I’ve never felt this massive loyalty to the original version so I’m happy for it to be mixed up a bit

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I love that version. It's basically the original with a cool intro. That particular performance is amazing; I've had the entire concert burned to a CD for about 20 years.
    It still KILLS me that my sister, my best friend from school and I, all of who were into NIN, went to New York in October 1995 because we wanted to go there on Halloween without having the slightest clue that NIN were touring with Bowie, not to mention we didn’t even see the Downward Spiral tour in the UK because it was at tiny venues. I blame the lack of internet, we just had no clue. I even looked up my diaries from those years to see what fascinating thing I was doing on the dates from ninlive - absolutely nothing of interest at all

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Out of interest, have you heard the version from the Bowie tour? It has a totally different and great intro. I love them all but I’ve never felt this massive loyalty to the original version so I’m happy for it to be mixed up a bit
    I love that version. It's basically the original with a cool intro. That particular performance is amazing; I've had the entire concert burned to a CD for about 20 years.
    The Becoming and the Eraser remix were also mindblowing on that tour. And on top of that, they played Piggy (nothing can stop me now) and Closer To God (not on that date, though). Damn, I wish I had been there.

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of remixes if they're done right. The Downward Spiral era did it right.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Those two really added something special to the songs they sang on. I didn't even LIKE "Sanctified" until that tour. Between those two and Pino I suddenly loved a song I skipped for two decades.
    You...
    You didn't like Sanctified?

I'm likelier to skip head like a hole and down in it than sanctified.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You...
    You didn't like Sanctified?

I'm likelier to skip head like a hole and down in it than sanctified.
    My husband loves Sanctified and thinks i'm nuts for that one too. PHM is my least-favorite NIN album overall, which I know is a heretical statement to make on the NINternet. My favorite songs from that album (Terrible Lie, Something I Can Never Have etc) I LOVE the live versions of, and don't really listen to the original recordings. Head Like a Hole is maybe the only song I like in its original recorded form.

I've never really understood why, and couldn't put my finger on what it is. It's not like it's a bad album, just my least favorite.

If I had to guess, it's because I was a teenager when The Fragile came out, so I tend to listen to The Fragile and all the work after that far more often than I do everything that came before it. I think a lot of people tend to connect the most with music that marked their Middle School/High School/College years, and for me that was The Fragile, WT and YZ.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I didn't want to assume, about the age, @eachpassingphase , but I figured as much. For me it was Broken and Fixed in middle school, and backtracking to PHM, and then waiting for TDS to come out, and it came out when I was a freshman in HS, you know?

So I can understand.