Page 91 of 160 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Am I in the minority when I say that "Burning Bright" doesn't transition well live?
    works a lot better than "The Lovers" IMO. The red lighting and smoke on "Burning Bright" is awesome - it actually looks like a field on fire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    You guys are nuts. The live version of Burn sounds so much better and emotionally satisfying.
    That's the thing, everything about the intro/verses/bridge in the live version is fucking incredible and powerful for me. Very satisfying.

But the live version of the choruses by the rhythm section, especially the lack of fast heavy hi-hat on the drums makes it drop down a notch instead of stepping up even more like the album version does for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I think it would be better live if instead of a megaphone, Trent used a setup like what Damon Albarn uses for Gorillaz during Feel Good Inc, Rhinestone Eyes and other songs.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up not using the megaphone anymore and instead went to his auxiliary mic he has connected to that controller for those parts. The setup he used with that for the yelling/laughing in "She's Gone Away" sounds fucking badass and achieves a similar effect to the megaphone sound and its easier to control. With how he is using that setup, it could easily be done.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Apparently this is a controversial opinion:

I think that guy shouting "Yeah you are!" in response to Trent singing "I am still right here" at Panorama is a total fucking piece of shit, just like everybody else who screams anything during any quiet song, especially "Hurt." I saw like 10 comments in the various threads here on ets talking about how funny and cool it was, but... it wasn't that funny. It was a dumb generic yell by some douchebag who can't stand to not be the center of attention for 2 minutes. That shit is always such a huge bummer and it's incredibly enraging. Screaming at the band during a quiet, emotional song isn't suddenly okay just because you scream something "funny."

In Bakersfield, during the first several lines of "Hurt" the audience was completely silent. It was absolutely amazing. I've seen NIN 4 times and I've heard "Hurt" 4 times and it was shaping up to be the absolute most insane, incredible experience ever. It was completely surreal - Trent would pause between lines and it was just complete silence, you could hear somebody cough in the back of the stadium seats, from the rail. But at a certain point, some fucking moron decided to scream "YEAHHH WOOHOO" or whatever random bullshit people scream. Once he broke the seal, it gave allll the other drunk dumbfuck pieces of shit carte blanche to start hooting and hollering as well. It ruined a very intimate, personal moment for the vast majority of people there.

Some of you guys may have seen NIN or heard certain songs enough times that the emotional effect has worn off, but the last thing anybody needs to be doing is encouraging idiots to scream during "Hurt."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What I believe to be a REALLY controversial opinion: I couldn't care less about any of the ARG.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    The live version of Burn sounds so much better.
    Yeah, this is one song I feel should be an absolute staple for NIN shows, but also it should always come with the 2009 intro, or similar.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Apparently this is a controversial opinion:

I think that guy shouting "Yeah you are!" in response to Trent singing "I am still right here" at Panorama is a total fucking piece of shit, just like everybody else who screams anything during any quiet song, especially "Hurt." I saw like 10 comments in the various threads here on ets talking about how funny and cool it was, but... it wasn't that funny. It was a dumb generic yell by some douchebag who can't stand to not be the center of attention for 2 minutes. That shit is always such a huge bummer and it's incredibly enraging. Screaming at the band during a quiet, emotional song isn't suddenly okay just because you scream something "funny."

In Bakersfield, during the first several lines of "Hurt" the audience was completely silent. It was absolutely amazing. I've seen NIN 4 times and I've heard "Hurt" 4 times and it was shaping up to be the absolute most insane, incredible experience ever. It was completely surreal - Trent would pause between lines and it was just complete silence, you could hear somebody cough in the back of the stadium seats, from the rail. But at a certain point, some fucking moron decided to scream "YEAHHH WOOHOO" or whatever random bullshit people scream. Once he broke the seal, it gave allll the other drunk dumbfuck pieces of shit carte blanche to start hooting and hollering as well. It ruined a very intimate, personal moment for the vast majority of people there.

Some of you guys may have seen NIN or heard certain songs enough times that the emotional effect has worn off, but the last thing anybody needs to be doing is encouraging idiots to scream during "Hurt."

Man, ETS sure does have a boner for Hurt. Personally I'm sick of hearing the song and tired of hearing people get so defensive over it...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Man, ETS sure does have a boner for Hurt. Personally I'm sick of hearing the song and tired of hearing people get so defensive over it...
    me too, so I leave early and beat traffic. I don't stand there and yell like an asshole.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Not everyone here saw NIN 50 times, you know.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    What I believe to be a REALLY controversial opinion: I couldn't care less about any of the ARG.
    I was really annoyed when "This Isn't The Place" came out as a single and I've seen some people ignore the song and look at the video and analyze the video itself without giving any opinion or feedback on the song itself, and I mean, just as soon the song came out.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I don't think the song is all that good and NIN has a dozen better slower songs than Hurt, but I still agree that being a jackass during a slower, quiet song (it being Hurt or not) is pretty fucking annoying.

Sure, if being a cock during Hurt would mean Trent starts playing AATCHB instead, then I'll get to work on my green card asap, fly to tha US of A with every noise-maker thingy I can buy from the black market and ruin Hurt personally. But as of right now, it's not how it goes.

On a side note: fuck The Lovers. Decent song, but playing it live as a staple.... Jesus! Whoever put together Mr. Reznor at his creation, they made sure that his kryptonite will be choosing some of the lamest tracks to play live instead of rehashing his bomb catalog. Hell, he doesn't even have to go back; there are still some dope tracks from NTAE and AV which would suit a live setting better than THE LOVERS. Hell, play some HTDA instead of it.

Trent is such a troll. Meathead would have a field day with the recent (actual) events.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm not sure about that glasses and leather jacket tbh

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post

On a side note: fuck The Lovers.
    Agreed. Along with that Bowie tribute song or whatever it is (no disrespect to Bowie). I can't stand slow songs with brutally repetitive lyrics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I still agree that being a jackass during a slower, quiet song (it being Hurt or not) is pretty fucking annoying.
    Trent singing Hurt
    Dude in audience: "Head like a hole!" "Head like a hole!"
    Trent: "OK fuck it. headlikeahole"

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Agreed. Along with that Bowie tribute song or whatever it is (no disrespect to Bowie). I can't stand slow songs with brutally repetitive lyrics.
    I think you're kinda missing the point with the Bowie cover. It's a way for TR and company to bring final closure to their loss. Cover it in the studio and then share that cover with a live audience. Personally I loved the track and felt it gave a nice break to the setlist.

On a personal note, I would love to see "The Background World" used as a closing track live. Slowly the band walks off the stage, one by one, and ends with a single light shining down on Ally while the song disintegrates on itself.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I'm not sure about that glasses and leather jacket tbh
    he's never looked better.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I think you're kinda missing the point with the Bowie cover. It's a way for TR and company to bring final closure to their loss. Cover it in the studio and then share that cover with a live audience. Personally I loved the track and felt it gave a nice break to the setlist.
    I understand the reasoning for the song, but doesn't mean one has to automatically like the tune.

::shrugs::

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I understand the reasoning for the song, but doesn't mean one has to automatically like the tune.

::shrugs::
    Did nothing for me either, but some 60yr woman in front of me at FYF went batshit insane when NIN started playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    he's never looked better.
    I'll admit to questioning my sexual orientation for a few minutes during branches/bones.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The song still carries incredible emotional power for "ousiders". Love him or hate him, Ari Shaffir cried during "Hurt" at Panorama. I enjoy hearing honest stories like that.

If you're interested, the first half of this is about Panorama (with the majority of the discussion revolving around Nine Inch Nails):

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient View Post
    Trent singing Hurt
    Dude in audience: "Head like a hole!" "Head like a hole!"
    Trent: "OK fuck it. headlikeahole"
    *The Hand That Feeds intro starts playing*

That clip is just one disappointment after another.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    While I'd love an "unplugged" tour from NIN, I prefer Still for the new songs rather than the acoustic stuff.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    While I'd love an "unplugged" tour from NIN, I prefer Still for the new songs rather than the acoustic stuff.
    Cant like this quote enough, feel the same way. Not that the acoustic remakes are bad but the new songs are better. Prefer the originals as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd much prefer it if they replaced Ally with Josh Eustis for the live shows. I thought he was an excellent addition to the band, Felt like he had a certain presence which NIN has been missing, not to mention he is an excellent musician. Loved those 2013 festival streams and seeing him nail the keyboard pre chorus in burn. Don't get me wrong, I love Ally but I feel like he just goes into auto pilot for NIN shows now he's being doing them for so long.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I like Alessandro, and he's a way better bassist than I would've expected, but I do miss the band having a dedicated bassist. Would love to see Danny, Justin or Josh in that band.

Here's one, but I'm not sure if it's controversial: I'm fucking tired of the The Only Time breakdown in Closer. It was a cool little surprise gimmick when they debuted that in 2005, but it's been 12 years! It's starting to feel like Gene Simmons breathing fire or Paul Stanley smashing a guitar that's been prepped for it.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-05-2017 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'd like to hear that Timbaland remix of The Hand That Feeds that Trent hates. Maybe it's actually really good, like the Butch Vig remix of Last.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I'd like to hear that Timbaland remix of The Hand That Feeds that Trent hates. Maybe it's actually really good, like the Butch Vig remix of Last.

Did Timbaland actually do a remix?! If so, did someone let this happen behind TR's back? I thought he hated Timbaland (or at least what he represents in pop music). Anyway, I agree that the Butch Vig remix of Last is awesome. Last is one of my favorite songs from Broken in its original state, but the remix does something interesting and different with it. I honestly don't ever listen to the rest of the remixes from that era on Fixed. Controversial opinion time: Fixed is by FAR my least favorite major NIN release. It's not because they're remixes, either. I'm quite fond of FDTS and TFA. YZR is much more hit or miss for me, though. I also wasn't impressed with most of the remixes from the Hesitation Marks era. I liked a couple of ones that were bonus tracks on the deluxe edition, but the 2014 Remix EP and the other random remixes that didn't get an official release were mostly garbage (in my opinion).

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    I think it was shortly after Chris Cornell's death that he tried to clarify that whole Chris/Timbaland diss in an interview and recalled this story from WT era. Timbaland's remix of THTF was endorsed by Interscope people who tried to convince him that his sound is now 'the thing' which would greatly help to promote the album and single. But Trent hated it and vetoed it's release.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think the band has dropped the ball with Gave Up since... forever. The small synth solo between the first chorus and the second verse really loses a lot of punch without the guitar power chords in the background, and I wonder why Trent decided it would sound good that way. It sounds half-finished to me.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-08-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ^^
    I think it was shortly after Chris Cornell's death that he tried to clarify that whole Chris/Timbaland diss in an interview and recalled this story from WT era. Timbaland's remix of THTF was endorsed by Interscope people who tried to convince him that his sound is now 'the thing' which would greatly help to promote the album and single. But Trent hated it and vetoed it's release.
    I gotta hear this someday. Add this to the list of "songs we will never hear but desperately want too" aka Love Gun and Sex Dwarf

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I gotta hear this someday. Add this to the list of "songs we will never hear but desperately want too" aka Love Gun and Sex Dwarf
    I know Sex Dwarf was played live in 1989, and was at least rehearsed for Downward Spiral era shows. I did some digging around, and found some info about Love Gun on the Steve Hoffman forums:

NINE-INCH NAILS - Love Gun
    While Trent Reznor may have intended to participate in the “KISS My Ass” project, he never recorded anything of the prospective track for the album due to other obligations.