Page 141 of 141 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 139 140 141
Results 4,201 to 4,206 of 4206

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    "I'm so lost as to why it's necessary to specifically point out the race of the artist. Yes, we know he's white. So what? Beyond being aware of that, the information is meaningless with regards to an understanding of the music. Is there any point in the history of NIN where the music needs to be contextualised by the colour of the artist's skin? No, because it doesn't matter. As I said, it's universal. This is why I stated that the phrase adds nothing to the conversation."

"Colorblind" attitudes actually perpetuate racism. It is a form of gaslighting, and it is how I used to think not that many years ago. We all see race, it is what we do with our differences. If white people can't see whiteness, and if they are going to be defensive whenever anyone even utters the word "white", then we aren't going to make any progress as a society. You have to see your own race, and see the power dynamics more broadly in society, if anything approaching equality is ever going to be achieved.

Here are some articles that speak to this issue of "what does race matter?". It's been studied extensively.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...is-form-racism
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-bad-everyone/
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...uctive/405037/
    https://www.amazon.com/Racism-withou.../dp/1442202181

And to the rest of you who are bothered by this sidetrack interrupting your enjoyment of ETS, good. You need to be bothered sometimes. People of color are bothered by racism everyday in every context from school to work to going to the store. Be bothered. Here's a fly in your soup. Enjoy.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    And to the rest of you who are bothered by this sidetrack interrupting your enjoyment of ETS, good. You need to be bothered sometimes. People of color are bothered by racism everyday in every context from school to work to going to the store. Be bothered. Here's a fly in your soup. Enjoy.
    I realize your point was ultimately defending my use of the word "white", but holy heck. Not everything is "racially driven" these days. No one is gaslighting here; me telling you I'm not gaslighting is not my subtle form of gaslighting, either.

People are upset because a random comment got turned into a college ethics class and a game of "Find The Racist".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    For talk about racism, there's a lot of white-guy debating here. Oh wait...

Back to my YZ opinion...I respect it a lot more than I enjoy the execution. I thought the album was going to be experimental in its songs' structures, but it really wasn't (which is fine, TR and AR write pop songs, generally). Guess I had my expectations unmet, whereas with other records and especially the Trilogy, my expectations were met, exceeded, or flipped.

Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Can confirm that most of the time I'm usually angry as well as white.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Can confirm that most of the time I'm usually angry as well as white.
    Coming to ETS can do that to you. Well, maybe not the white part 100% anyways- that’s your parents fault.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I hope I'm not adding more wood to the fire with this, but here's my two cents: "white guy rhyming" has more to do with comedic stereotypes than a racial thing; think Vanilla Ice level cheese. It's no different than "white guy dancing". It's more about illustrative language that paints a picture based on things you've probably seen on film or television (or, obviously, in real life). I get that you're trying to promote progression and positive language, but I think you're reaching a bit with comparing it to using "gay" and "fag" negatively. That's an entirely different thing, and I absolutely agree with that needing to stop. Besides, many white rappers have proven they're not a part of that stereotype (see: Eminem).

Edit: Eminem is probably an ironic example given his use of "gay" and "fag/faggot" in some of his songs. Sorry.
    That's exactly how I took it. Jokes in general sometimes confuse the hell out me in legit conversations though, (In terms/questions like, "Was that right or wrong? Was that even funny?") but in comedy just about anything goes.

I definitely always make use of the dictionary as much as possible when it comes to topics like these or words in general. I also suppose it just sometimes depends on who you're speaking to, especially in this case. (As I've often failed to consider the source myself along with context/content and how and what is being said.)

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    When I go onto a Nine Inch Nails forum full of 30+ year olds I really wonder what they all think about race and thankfully this thread satisfies
    I'm actually a bit surprised that it didn't happen in the Speak your mind and In the Headlines sections. (Not that it hasn't happened in the Nine Inch Nails section before, but it proves yet again that such a thing is bound to happen here. It's just guaranteed.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-24-2020 at 11:05 AM.