Page 143 of 150 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 141 142 143 144 145 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,290 of 4493

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

  1. #4261
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,127
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    Hey here’s a real controversial take! Trent and Atticus are ducking jerks for surprise releasing two albums the same day that Alessandro Cortini releases his incredible album (with Daniel Avery), stealing all his buzz.

    ok maybe not assholes but I hope people find time for another moody instrumental record because it’s really fucking good and very bright
    I actually listened to it right after listening to the new Ghosts last night. Good stuff!

  2. #4262
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    24.24.2.1633
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I want to be optimistic about new NIN, I usually love absolutely everything that comes out of the NIN camp, especially the instrumentals, but the lack of dynamics (and percussion) keeps me from being attentive to when a track starts or stops. After spending 5 hours of unsuccessfully trying to not nap through two listens at my desk, I shelved it for later. This is just not what I need right now. Hopefully this release means we get an album in 2 months with drums on it, like the last time he dropped a set of Ghosts.

  3. #4263
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,106
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    Not that it means anything, but Bad Witch is Gar more industrial then NTAE (which is maybe... industrial metal. God I hate myself right now)
    Bad Witch to me dances into the Acid Jazz territory far more than industrial

  4. #4264
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,957
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Well, considering that in 2008 we got 'The Slip' right after 'Ghosts I-IV', that's definitely not the project they were talking about, as was said, probably there's a lot of stuff from Woman In The Window they enjoyed enough to release (and they weren't gonna release it like "hey this is the score that we were making" etc).

    Btw, the new album they did mention there's gonna be collaborations on it. I don't think they were gonna do that without any promotion before release.
    Exactly. I'm taking this year in a 2008 mindset where we got an array of instrumental music prior to a "NIN proper" release. As much as I adore Bad Witch and consider it my favorite NIN album since With Teeth, I'm hoping it's at least a little longer in the tooth track list and length wise than Bad Witch was.

  5. #4265
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,199
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    Hey here’s a real controversial take! Trent and Atticus are ducking jerks for surprise releasing two albums the same day that Alessandro Cortini releases his incredible album (with Daniel Avery), stealing all his buzz.

    ok maybe not assholes but I hope people find time for another moody instrumental record because it’s really fucking good and very bright
    technically they released it on thursday, and alessandro's collab album came out on friday, but now i'm being pedantic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  6. #4266
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    1,359
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    LMAO @ the bitching and bickering in this thread. Am I the only one who readily gobbles up all this score work they keep lavishing us with? How quickly we forget the wilderness years of 1995-1999 and then the Great NIN Depression of 2000-2005. Waves, Watchmen and especially that creepy-as-all-fuck Birdbox Deluxe score were some of his best work yet, and Women In The Window Ghosts Locusts is going to climb the ranks in time too, I can feel it..

    Of course, this is my favorite musician ever we are talking about, for 27 years and counting. Fuck yes I'll take a Super Deluxe Box Set of Atticus Following Trent Around While He Does The Chores. Total fanboy here, I'm not even ashamed in the slightest..

  7. #4267
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    2,295
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    technically they released it on thursday, and alessandro's collab album came out on friday, but now i'm being pedantic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    is that not what this thread is for?

  8. #4268
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,127
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    is that not what this thread is for?
    I thought it was for intelligent conversations and polite rebuttals.

    Nah, I'm just fucking with you.

  9. #4269
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the lack of structure and drums and bass on the new Ghosts makes it hard for me to get into. some of my favorite bands like Explosions in the Sky, Octopus Project, Mogwai, Tortoise, TOE are all 'instrumental' bands that seem to be able to continue to put out interesting instrumental music without having to create endless droning sound scapes. for me, im not just going to throw on a droning soundscape to vibe out to, or even as background music. I was kind of surprised honestly, so I put on the old Ghosts album and, yep, its a lot better. More structure, more instruments, drum beats, bass lines..just sounded overall more interesting and different. Its like they tried to make these albums with just noise and a piano...It is what it is, i guess. I think its time for the Atticus/Trent relationship to be over in regards to Nine Inch Nails music. I think the band and its fans would benefit greatly from a change.

  10. #4270
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    24.24.2.1633
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If Locusts is the Woman in the Window soundtrack, is Tomorrow the Pixar soundtrack?

  11. #4271
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No, because that one is Soul and it isn't cancelled.

    What's Tomorrow anyway?

  12. #4272
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,127
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Burleson View Post
    I think its time for the Atticus/Trent relationship to be over in regards to Nine Inch Nails music.
    I can see how that conversation would go.

    Tront: "Hey Atticus, I know you've been my most trusted collaborator for almost twenty years, and we've worked on so many things together, and I made you a permanent member of my band whose sole permanent member has been me since its inception, but some guys on the internet didn't like Ghosts V-VI, so we're going to have to go our separate ways. You understand, don't you? It's nothing personal. It's for the fans!"
    Atticrust: "Uh..."

  13. #4273
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    For the record I dig TR's instrumental music. Quake and Social Network are 2 of my top 10 NIN/TR related releases. My whole argument was I think throwing vocals in some songs balances the album out. Those instrumentals on Fragile (La Mer especially) are so powerful because they are balanced out with the songs w vocals. If you had 30 instrumentals on Fragile, I don't know if songs like La Mer would stick out as much. A Warm Place sticks out wonderfully on TDS because its the lone instrumental track. If that song was on Ghosts I-IV, I don't think it would stick out as much. Pinion fits perfectly onto Broken. Half of Still is instrumental and half has vocals which is the perfect balance. Its good to have a balance. That concludes my thesis

  14. #4274
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm hoping the new album with collaborations will help with getting us some variety again, I miss the old days when each album had it's own unique sound and direction. I loved the first Ghosts release and was okay with the first couple of scores, but what are we at now, 10 or 11 scores? That's fine if Trent and Atticus want to produce score after score - but to call these new releases Nine Inch Nails is a big let down for us old school fans. Our Nine Inch Nails were way better than this. This is just noise and a piano. This is what it would be like if Jonathan Davis from Korn started making Korn albums with just his bagpipes. There is just too much greatness missing on these new releases. Hopefully that next new album with vocals isn't too far away...

    I wish I could get into the new Ghosts and appreciate that they were released for free but I didn't really get into the last 3 EP's either, so I'm really jonesing for some new quality NIN .
    Last edited by fishtifer; 03-29-2020 at 04:37 PM.

  15. #4275
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,127
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    For the record I dig TR's instrumental music. Quake and Social Network are 2 of my top 10 NIN/TR related releases. My whole argument was I think throwing vocals in some songs balances the album out. Those instrumentals on Fragile (La Mer especially) are so powerful because they are balanced out with the songs w vocals. If you had 30 instrumentals on Fragile, I don't know if songs like La Mer would stick out as much. A Warm Place sticks out wonderfully on TDS because its the lone instrumental track. If that song was on Ghosts I-IV, I don't think it would stick out as much. Pinion fits perfectly onto Broken. Half of Still is instrumental and half has vocals which is the perfect balance. Its good to have a balance. That concludes my thesis
    The problem with that is that ambient music, by design, is not meant to have lyrics attached to it. It's meant to be abstract. The listener is meant to fill in the gaps with their own feelings and emotions. It's meant to underscore their environment, not spell out how they're supposed to feel. Imagine something like Brian Eno's Ambient series with someone singing over it. It's impossible, because it's not designed for lyrics. Neither is the Ghosts series. Lyrics aren't missing because they were never part of the design to begin with.

    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    I'm hoping the new album with collaborations will help with getting us some variety again, I miss the old days when each album had it's own unique sound and direction. I loved the first Ghosts release and was okay with the first couple of scores, but what are we at now, 10 or 11 scores? That's fine if Trent and Atticus want to produce score after score - but to call these new releases Nine Inch Nails is a big let down for us old school fans. Our Nine Inch Nails were way better than this. This is just noise and a piano. This is what it would be like if Jonathan Davis from Korn started making Korn albums with just his bagpipes. There is just too much greatness missing on these new releases. Hopefully that next new album with vocals isn't too far away...
    Trent has been making instrumentals for decades. Ghosts I-IV is twelve years old at this point. To quote Disappointed: "You'd think by now you'd realize that nothing's going to change."

    Also, for those of you who think Trent & Atticus need to do things "for the fans"? You're wrong. They're at the point in their careers where they can comfortably explore ideas without having to kowtow to what one group wants. They seem quite happy charting their own paths, so why should they give in to what some people who are stuck in the past want?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 03-29-2020 at 04:42 PM.

  16. #4276
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    652
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The problem with that is that ambient music, by design, is not meant to have lyrics attached to it. It's meant to be abstract. The listener is meant to fill in the gaps with their own feelings and emotions. It's meant to underscore their environment, not spell out how they're supposed to feel. Imagine something like Brian Eno's Ambient series with someone singing over it. It's impossible, because it's not designed for lyrics. Neither is the Ghosts series. Lyrics aren't missing because they were never part of the design to begin with.
    While I agree with you, Ghosts 38 did become Demon Seed.
    Some other Ghosts I-IV tracks also had potential to become a song with vocals, especially when performed live.
    Ghosts I-IV was their first attempt at making a flat out instrumental record, and Ghosts V-VI are practically a soundtrack to current times, after 10 years of scoring experience.
    They might share the same moniker but stylistically they are quite different.

  17. #4277
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    865
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Personally, I can say two things. I like ambient/dark ambient, so I like these new volumes of Ghosts. Also, I think I'm connecting with these more than I ever really connected with the trilogy, except maybe NTAE.

  18. #4278
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    wantagh
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    They might share the same moniker but stylistically they are quite different.
    So far of what I have heard, V and VI are super intricate and well produced. They appear slightly less basic than what I-IV seems like. Thing is that simply because V and VI have titles and track names, doesn't mean they're so different from the rest of the collection. Its the same musical idea, just finally brought back for these unpredictable and uncoordinated times.

  19. #4279
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,106
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Burleson View Post
    I think its time for the Atticus/Trent relationship to be over in regards to Nine Inch Nails music. I think the band and its fans would benefit greatly from a change.
    So .. get rid of Trent? Atticus has worked with Trent since 1998, they've made music together since the ~2000 and Atticus has been on every NIN release since With Teeth. So I assume all of that is ... bad?

  20. #4280
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    At this point, there is a chunk of boomer NIN fans that dislike a bigger portion of Trent's discography than they enjoy. I do not understand these people in the slightest. There are definitely NIN albums that I don't like as much but I've never felt like he just straight up released a bad album. Trent may actually be the only artist I've ever said that about: he's just never released an album that was bad even if the album in question wasn't my personal favorite.

    I'm particularly confused by the reaction I've seen by some of the goobers in NIN Facebook groups. We get it: you want The Downward Spiral part 63 because you haven't progressed emotionally since you graduated high school in 1995. But Together/Locusts was released to encourage YOU during a time of crisis and frustration. It was given to you for free at a time when a lot of people are financially strapped. If you aren't able to appreciate instrumentals because you only like one kind of music, then that's fine. But where does the urge to openly and aggressively bitch ABOUT A GIFT FROM A GUY YOU SUPPOSEDLY ADMIRE come from?

    It's just so weird and unbalanced and exhausting and these people are fucking boring.

  21. #4281
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    652
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmpx_ View Post
    So far of what I have heard, V and VI are super intricate and well produced. They appear slightly less basic than what I-IV seems like. Thing is that simply because V and VI have titles and track names, doesn't mean they're so different from the rest of the collection. Its the same musical idea, just finally brought back for these unpredictable and uncoordinated times.
    The fact that V-VI have titles and track names has nothing to do with my opinion.
    Ghosts I-IV is more akin to The Social Network while V-VI is in the vein of Bird Box/Waves.
    As NIN evolved (The Slip to Bad Witch), so did TR/AR. It's funny how now there's even no difference between NIN and TR/AR.
    Just put two Ghosts releases together, click shuffle and play them. I could easily identify which is from 2008 and which is from 2020.

  22. #4282
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    At the moment everything possible: Either that these are completely new albums, created over the course of the last months (maybe even only since the emergence of COVID-19). Or that these are scrapped filmscores released under the NIN moniker to reach more people (similar to Bad Witch being an LP for marketing purpose).

    I just wish they would't be so sparse with information. Then we wouldn't have to play this guessing game. Go

  23. #4283
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,029
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't think it's particularly controversial that some people are finding the newest batch of music a little samey. Ghosts V and VI are clearly leftover soundtrack pieces..

    (Also, why are people getting angry at opinions they don't agree with in the thread dedicated to controversial opinions? That's the point bozos.)

    I adore > 90% of the music these two have ever released, but if you sat me down and played me something from Patriots Day, Watchmen, Ghosts VI, Bird Box and Waves, I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. Hell, even the most recent NIN album was mostly instrumental.

    What's the difference between a TR/AR score track and "Play the Goddamned Part"? Trick question. There is no difference. Maybe that shouldn't be the case...

  24. #4284
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,486
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I don't think it's particularly controversial that some people are finding the newest batch of music a little samey. Ghosts V and VI are clearly leftover soundtrack pieces..

    (Also, why are people getting angry at opinions they don't agree with in the thread dedicated to controversial opinions? That's the point bozos.)

    I adore > 90% of the music these two have ever released, but if you sat me down and played me something from Patriots Day, Watchmen, Ghosts VI, Bird Box and Waves, I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. Hell, even the most recent NIN album was mostly instrumental.

    What's the difference between a TR/AR score track and "Play the Goddamned Part"? Trick question. There is no difference. Maybe that shouldn't be the case...
    So if someone played you ‘the way it used to be’ you’d say ‘yep that’s Ghosts’?

    Last edited by WorzelG; 03-30-2020 at 06:06 AM.

  25. #4285
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Hell, even the most recent NIN album was mostly instrumental.
    Mostly. Like two songs out of six?

  26. #4286
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I appreciate these new unused soundtracks, ehm, sorry, new Ghosts, for what it is, and for the good intent as a gift from T+A to lift the spirits. I just refuse to put it into NIN category. They lack the ghost (heh ) of NIN IMHO. And Bad Witch was very uninspired, apart from a track or two. The Bowiesque vocals were a major turnoff for me. The last track was ridiculously bad and boring. I loved NTAE and AV, though.

  27. #4287
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I guess this would be considered controversial. Here goes.

    I have enjoyed most of NIN material to varying degrees over the last 28 years I've been listening. I have listened to some score work, but this thought goes to NIN specific material.

    Starting with Bad Witch, I really hate that there's now songs that are physically painful to listen to. I'm all for challenging music per se, but if I'm skipping the song because it gives me a flat out headache, or it's so painful I can't enjoy the music...that's a problem. And given some of the songs on Locusts....it looks like this is a trend that TR/AR are sticking with, which is really disappointing to me. I would like to enjoy albums in the album format, but if I'm grinding my teeth because the sounds are painful, I'm reduced to making playlists.

    For reference, Broken was and still is one of my favorites - so it isn't like I'm just a fan of Still and the quieter tracks. I feel there's a difference between hard tracks and a flat-out painful listening experience. I'd say 90% of the time I'm listening from my laptop to earbuds while I work, so it's really frustrating to feel I need to rip them out/ scramble to skip the song. I have enough sources for my headaches these days, thanks.

  28. #4288
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,486
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I guess this would be considered controversial. Here goes.

    I have enjoyed most of NIN material to varying degrees over the last 28 years I've been listening. I have listened to some score work, but this thought goes to NIN specific material.

    Starting with Bad Witch, I really hate that there's now songs that are physically painful to listen to. I'm all for challenging music per se, but if I'm skipping the song because it gives me a flat out headache, or it's so painful I can't enjoy the music...that's a problem. And given some of the songs on Locusts....it looks like this is a trend that TR/AR are sticking with, which is really disappointing to me. I would like to enjoy albums in the album format, but if I'm grinding my teeth because the sounds are painful, I'm reduced to making playlists.

    For reference, Broken was and still is one of my favorites - so it isn't like I'm just a fan of Still and the quieter tracks. I feel there's a difference between hard tracks and a flat-out painful listening experience. I'd say 90% of the time I'm listening from my laptop to earbuds while I work, so it's really frustrating to feel I need to rip them out/ scramble to skip the song. I have enough sources for my headaches these days, thanks.
    hopefully this is something that was just required for the films - what in Bad Witch was actively painful to listen to? I love Play the Goddamed Part, but to be honest I tend to skip I’m not from this world. I’ve not got round to listening to Waves, Bird Box or the new Ghosts yet even though I purchased / downloaded them all, I’m still on Watchmen! The only other painful experience is that alarm noise in Tetsuo

  29. #4289
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,199
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I guess this would be considered controversial. Here goes.

    I have enjoyed most of NIN material to varying degrees over the last 28 years I've been listening. I have listened to some score work, but this thought goes to NIN specific material.

    Starting with Bad Witch, I really hate that there's now songs that are physically painful to listen to. I'm all for challenging music per se, but if I'm skipping the song because it gives me a flat out headache, or it's so painful I can't enjoy the music...that's a problem. And given some of the songs on Locusts....it looks like this is a trend that TR/AR are sticking with, which is really disappointing to me. I would like to enjoy albums in the album format, but if I'm grinding my teeth because the sounds are painful, I'm reduced to making playlists.

    For reference, Broken was and still is one of my favorites - so it isn't like I'm just a fan of Still and the quieter tracks. I feel there's a difference between hard tracks and a flat-out painful listening experience. I'd say 90% of the time I'm listening from my laptop to earbuds while I work, so it's really frustrating to feel I need to rip them out/ scramble to skip the song. I have enough sources for my headaches these days, thanks.
    100% not trying to be an elitist, but earbuds are, by their nature, not good for your ears. because the drivers are so small and so close to your inner ear, they tend to over-accentuate high-frequencies, and because it's harder for them to reproduce low frequencies, you end up turning them up louder, so when you get sounds that are in the higher register, they're even louder. if you have any kind of hearing problems, that's going to cause you pain even if the sounds aren't inherently painful. i would recommend investing in even a decent pair of headphones that are circum-aural (around the ear) as they're going to give you the best sound quality and the least discomfort (the drivers are further from your ears and bigger, so they're better at reproducing the entire frequency spectrum).

    i know what you're talking about on ghosts V, but i'm curious what sounds you found painful on bad witch.

  30. #4290
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Play the Goddamned Part is borderline listenable for me. Midway through I'm not from this world really hurts my ears, and I like that song, but I often skip it. There's bits and pieces of Ahead of Ourselves and God Break down the door where it sounds/ feels like excess distortion that makes it grating for me to listen to.

    I know NIN is going in a new direction with all of this sorta stuff, and that's fine, that's their decision. It's just frustrating to me because I've been along for the ride for a long time, and now I'm having to cut out songs because they hurt physically.

    It's just my opinion.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions