Page 89 of 146 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 139 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 4362

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

  1. #2641
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    To me, The Slip is quality. It is actually a favorite of mine as it has a sense of urgency about it and it feels cohesive.

    And I enjoy all of the tracks (sadly I can't say the same for The Fragile or TDS - no matter how much I love the albums).

    My only criticism is the artwork. The artwork seemed like an afterthought and it just seemed like Rob had run out of ideas.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  2. #2642
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,884
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    i don't like sunspots. i don't find it sexy, like most people do. i find it kind of tedious. it's definitely my least-favorite song on With Teeth. and the vacuum cleaner solo is much better suited to the live version of sanctified that showed up in 2013.

  3. #2643
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,105
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't like sunspots. i don't find it sexy, like most people do. i find it kind of tedious. it's definitely my least-favorite song on With Teeth. and the vacuum cleaner solo is much better suited to the live version of sanctified that showed up in 2013.
    I agree with you on many things but I will fight you

  4. #2644
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,348
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    For me what makes Sunspots is that it almost gets you into a lull and you start to feel like you know everywhere it's going to go, only for that incredible climax with Trent's yelling and the blender synth kicking into overdrive, it's incredible -- it goes from this quiet and simmering flirtation with addiction to this roaring and all-consuming thing and I think it's a fantastic signal into the third act of the album.

  5. #2645
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,884
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I agree with you on many things but I will fight you
    as long as it's a sexy fight, i'm in

  6. #2646
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlGirl View Post
    "Happiness In Slavery" is a terrible, terrible song.
    what the fuck

  7. #2647
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I listen to Before the Flood more than Not the Actual Events. I think that was the better release last year.

  8. #2648
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    396
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I didn't care for Pino at all. I would much rather of had Les Claypool in that spot for bass guru.

  9. #2649
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I didn't care for Pino at all. I would much rather of had Les Claypool in that spot for bass guru.
    I understand where you're coming from with this statement but Les' bass tone would not sit in well at all with the sound of NIN. It would have to be Les not sounding like Les for it to work.

  10. #2650
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,173
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The Twin Peaks episode got me thinking that I'd take Joey Castillo over Ilan Rubin on drums. Just to change things up. New drummer = new fresh drum fills, and I wasn't a big fan of Ilan's fills ever since he joined.
    Last edited by fillow; 06-26-2017 at 03:36 PM.

  11. #2651
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    My controversial opinion based on the Twin Peaks performance: Atticus is purposely writing absurdly simple basslines knowing he'll have to play them live.

  12. #2652
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    I understand where you're coming from with this statement but Les' bass tone would not sit in well at all with the sound of NIN. It would have to be Les not sounding like Les for it to work.
    Agree about Les and I didn't like Pino either, but if TR was looking for a fat, dirty bass sound...Rush is over and Geddy Lee is still active and wanting to play!! Wishful thinking, I know, but his bass playing blows Pino out of the water AND he moves around!! Bonus!!

  13. #2653
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,884
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    Agree about Les and I didn't like Pino either, but if TR was looking for a fat, dirty bass sound...Rush is over and Geddy Lee is still active and wanting to play!! Wishful thinking, I know, but his bass playing blows Pino out of the water AND he moves around!! Bonus!!
    the problem is that, while trent allowed for pino's style to come through while he was in NIN, i doubt many other bass players who have such defined styles would be able to pull it off as the bass player in NIN. i think trent is best off having a solid player who can play the songs the way they were written, with passion and intensity. and that player is atticus, which is why i'm so glad he's finally an official member of the band.

  14. #2654
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,071
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlGirl View Post
    "Happiness In Slavery" is a terrible, terrible song.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Nice try Trent, not gonna stop people asking it to be played
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    what the fuck
    I laughed way more than I probably should've. These are probably by far some of the best posts of this thread ever as of late. That really was also a first for me as well, but that's what this thread is all about anyway.

  15. #2655
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've wanted a hard copy (CS or LP) of Fragile for a long time but now that the reissue is available I think I'm content listening to it in headphones in a digital format. I'd pay $20 for a nice copy of the tapes still.

  16. #2656
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I listen to Before the Flood more than Not the Actual Events. I think that was the better release last year.
    Strongly agree. Oftentimes I find myself with When the Sky Was Opened or Before the Flood tunes in my head and realize it's off the score. Whereas I cannot for the life of me recall how any of the new NTAE tracks go...
    Last edited by Miss.Selfdestruct; 07-06-2017 at 01:05 AM.

  17. #2657
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    799
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Pino is great but too low in the mix every performance i watched.

    My controversial opinion (TR not nin) is I don't really like a minute to breathe. Sounds like an inferior version of right where it belongs with touches of LITS. The na na ending is ok.

  18. #2658
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,560
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Jack White is one of the most overrated guitarists/songwriter/musicians in my lifetime. I liked TWS well enough, but they weren't THAT good. I'm very "meh" towards 00' and 10's music anyway, and he was supposed to be like Dylan/Hendrix of his generation. But really, how many great songs did he write that people will listen to in 50 years?

  19. #2659
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,051
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Jack White is one of the most overrated guitarists/songwriter/musicians in my lifetime. I liked TWS well enough, but they weren't THAT good. I'm very "meh" towards 00' and 10's music anyway, and he was supposed to be like Dylan/Hendrix of his generation. But really, how many great songs did he write that people will listen to in 50 years?
    Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions.

  20. #2660
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,560
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions.
    Do'oh! I just typed "controversial" in the search bar and found this thread without paying attention. My apologies.

  21. #2661
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The All Time Low demo off of the TRez conversation track is so much better than the final album version that it's not even comparable. I'd almost say that Adrian and Pino totally butchered the track

  22. #2662
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Donegal, Ireland
    Posts
    2,871
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The live version of Branches/Bones pisses all over the studio version.

  23. #2663
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I guess this counts as controversial opinion too?

    The studio version of Branches/Boens is much better and it is one of few tracks that sounds much more agressive in the studio.

  24. #2664
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't like how Trent sings in "This isn't the place", for me it's like "listen to me I'm an emo I want to die blablabla".

  25. #2665
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This Isn't The Place reminds me of The Fragile and is the only NIN track apart from The Way Out Is Through that moved me in that way to the point I felt convinced the song was flawless.

  26. #2666
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mostly the UK
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I guess this counts as controversial opinion too?

    The studio version of Branches/Boens is much better and it is one of few tracks that sounds much more agressive in the studio.
    The verses definitely lose something special with those hyped up vocals as opposed to his somber, slowly building delivery on the studio version. It probably wouldn't be a good fit for a gig opener, though.

  27. #2667
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If someone told me I could only listen to post-2005 Trent Reznor material and never hear pre-2005 Trent Reznor material for the rest of my life, as opposed to the other way around, I would gladly take that deal.

  28. #2668
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,071
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    I forgot if I already posted this here. However, I doubt that it's even that controversial on ETS from what I've been noticing. (Or even controversial at all for that matter.)

    And well, Everything just kept getting better the more I listened to it. To me, it's still one of the best songs from Hesitation Marks. (Copy Of A is still my most favorite song from that album though.) But Everything is very close.

  29. #2669
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pretty.hate.machine View Post
    I actually love Deep, and the video. Trent all gooey, yum.
    I love Deep. It was the "new" NIN video on TV while I was in high school, right after I had just went out and bought Broken and The Fragile, which changed my life.

  30. #2670
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,953
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pretty.hate.machine View Post
    I actually love Deep, and the video. Trent all gooey, yum.
    No need to be a controversial opinion ... Deep is one of my favorite Nine Inch Nails song. It's a shame it doesn't seem to get as much live love as it deserves.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions