Page 157 of 160 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 155 156 157 158 159 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,710 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    We've all been here long enough to understand there are no rules. We may have a new full length NIN album next Wednesday with no notice. They may debut a new single live in Raleigh to start a long drawn out run-up to a Sept release date. What we do know if TR rarely sits idle so that bodes well.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I listened to Broken on a mono device today (work headset while supposed to be on meeting all day)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I listened to Broken on a mono device today (work headset while supposed to be on meeting all day)
    Hmmm. Interesting opinion.

I went to buy food from the truck stop last night: a sandwich with turkey and bacon.
    On the drive, I thought about SICNH. I'd heard it earlier in the day.

The sandwich... the bread they used had cranberry and walnut.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting opinion.

I went to buy food from the truck stop last night: a sandwich with turkey and bacon.
    On the drive, I thought about SICNH. I'd heard it earlier in the day.

The sandwich... the bread they used had cranberry and walnut.
    It was more of a controversial action than an opinion since I broke Trent’s rules.

I’m just a rebel that you all should be afraid to Fuck with

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    It was more of a controversial action than an opinion since I broke Trent’s rules.

I’m just a rebel that you all should be afraid to Fuck with
    Lol ahhhh, I get it now.

And the previous post was just a bit of friendly ball breaking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't understand why they are not touring Europe this summer and just doing one festival in Europe. The reason can't be Brexit because they play one show in France. I get it if they don't want to do a EU-wide tour, but at least a show in Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, etc. would have been nice! Some big cities at least. And judging from the videos from the first show a few days ago the production isn't that sophisticated, which would make touring more complicated and costly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I don't understand why they are not touring Europe this summer and just doing one festival in Europe. The reason can't be Brexit because they play one show in France. I get it if they don't want to do a EU-wide tour, but at least a show in Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, etc. would have been nice! Some big cities at least. And judging from the videos from the first show a few days ago the production isn't that sophisticated, which would make touring more complicated and costly.
    Trent isn't a huge fan of European festivals

Summer is very geared towards festivals/stadium shows in the UK/Europe rather than tours now, a lot more than 10 years ago.
    Still holding hope they replace Massive Attack at Primavera though...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I would love to tell Kraw that color photography was in fact invented in late 19th century. Yet we have NIN apparently stuck in black-and-white-(and infinite) world ever since Rob Sheridan left. This goes for pretty much all recent live footage too (except Panorama proshot and Lovers rehearsal).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Trent isn't a huge fan of European festivals

Summer is very geared towards festivals/stadium shows in the UK/Europe rather than tours now, a lot more than 10 years ago.
    Still holding hope they replace Massive Attack at Primavera though...

I don't think that's an excuse to just not come to Europe at all. There are definitely possibilites to play gigs in summer here that are at mid-sized open air venues and not stadiums. There are also smaller festivals that have a cool, more mature crowd. There are also a lot of bands playing in Vienna this summer in normal venues. I don't really see how that has changed in the last 10 years, how do you come to this conclusion?

I do get, that the crowds at big festivals can be not that great, especially in german-speaking Europe. But I don't think Trent generalizes that onto all of Europe. For example, I saw them @ Mad Cool Festival in Madrid and they were really into it.

They could also come in Fall/Winter though, but I get how that can be too risky due to the expected new COVID wave then.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I would love to tell Kraw that color photography was in fact invented in late 19th century. Yet we have NIN apparently stuck in black-and-white-(and infinite) world ever since Rob Sheridan left. This goes for pretty much all recent live footage too (except Panorama proshot and Lovers rehearsal).
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I think the directive and love of the aesthetic has to be coming down from the top though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't think that's an excuse to just not come to Europe at all. There are definitely possibilites to play gigs in summer here that are at mid-sized open air venues and not stadiums. There are also smaller festivals that have a cool, more mature crowd. There are also a lot of bands playing in Vienna this summer in normal venues. I don't really see how that has changed in the last 10 years, how do you come to this conclusion?

I do get, that the crowds at big festivals can be not that great, especially in german-speaking Europe. But I don't think Trent generalizes that onto all of Europe. For example, I saw them @ Mad Cool Festival in Madrid and they were really into it.

They could also come in Fall/Winter though, but I get how that can be too risky due to the expected new COVID wave then.
    I do think this is a first tentative step back to touring though, there hasn’t even been new music. Hopefully there’ll be an album followed by proper tour in 2023

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This tour seems to be about slowly getting back to normal (whatever normal is these days). There's not a ton of dates, and most of the shows are outdoors at festivals. It's natural to want them to come to your neck of the woods, but I think they're playing it relatively safe at the moment for various reasons (COVID being the biggest, I'm sure). I'm sure a bigger tour is in store once new music gets released. Right now they're just doing what worked on the previous tour and going from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He'll probably announce a new album released in the next few months and then a European tour after they finish up here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    He'll probably announce a new album released in the next few months and then a European tour after they finish up here.
    Exactly. Trent is doing some cool shows now with very interesting setlists but I hope there is more to come. I hope he and Atticus are working on an incredible album which is going to blow minds away and this is just his pre-show-efforts. 2023 will be the year for the new album and a proper tour.

i just wrote to the guys of "tempelhof sounds", a festival in berlin which is about to be a mega-flop. ticketsales are really bad. they hardly sold half of their tickets. their headliners are muse, florence & the machine, the strokes, interpol and alt-j. i asked them if they could add nin to the bill since nin is near to berlin in france a few days later. but i still think "less than" is their worst song ever. its so stupid.
    Last edited by notsoprettynow; 05-31-2022 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Honesty don’t think we will see a proper album touring cycle anymore. Trent made it clear they don’t want to be on the road full time really anymore. If we get dates next year, it’ll be similar to the amount of dates we got in 2018. Metallica is the same way now. They try to cap at 50-60 shows a year.

to add a controversial opinion, I’d like for gave up to be retired from the set. I don’t feel like it hits as hard as it used to.
    Last edited by ryanmcfly; 06-01-2022 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Dunno if that's controversial, but as much as I respect the hell out of Year Zero, I just don't like it. I really love that he was doing something so different. I love that he stuck to his concept to the end (for once, alleluiacanIgetanamen). I love the whole surge of enthusiasm and passion and creativity, and in that regard this is quite a special release.

Still don't like it. I don't know, it's soulless, it never kicks in, the spark's not here. Which drives me crazy because whenever I want to make myself a "best of" playlist I get to the point where I think "ugh, gotta put a couple YZ tracks there, fuck..." because my OCD won't let me do without.

On a tangent note : I really, really, realllllllllllllllly couldn't care less about whatever sequel to whatever album. When I heard Hesitation Marks was supposed to be a follow-up to TDS I let out a "why". Same for YZ2. I don't care. Don't want it. I love this band for its ability to constantly bring new stuff to the table, and I hate when artists revisit or expand on known territory after the fact.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Dunno if that's controversial, but as much as I respect the hell out of Year Zero, I just don't like it. I really love that he was doing something so different. I love that he stuck to his concept to the end (for once, alleluiacanIgetanamen). I love the whole surge of enthusiasm and passion and creativity, and in that regard this is quite a special release.

Still don't like it. I don't know, it's soulless, it never kicks in, the spark's not here. Which drives me crazy because whenever I want to make myself a "best of" playlist I get to the point where I think "ugh, gotta put a couple YZ tracks there, fuck..." because my OCD won't let me do without.

On a tangent note : I really, really, realllllllllllllllly couldn't care less about whatever sequel to whatever album. When I heard Hesitation Marks was supposed to be a follow-up to TDS I let out a "why". Same for YZ2. I don't care. Don't want it. I love this band for its ability to constantly bring new stuff to the table, and I hate when artists revisit or expand on known territory after the fact.
    100% agree. Year Zero still remains my least favorite NIN record by a long shot. As much as I appreciate the creativity and enthusiasm, the end result in terms of story telling / song writing does nothing for me ... as did the ARG, which was surprising at the time considering the team behind The Dark Knight viral marketing was behind it.

To me, the production and just overall sound of the record sounds like GarageBand loops you get that comes with your software and its got some of my least favorite songs / Trent vocal deliveries of all time. Every time I go back to it, I just can't finish it. I appreciate those who love it, and I'm glad you do ... but I'm fine with never revisiting that era again.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    100% agree. Year Zero still remains my least favorite NIN record by a long shot. As much as I appreciate the creativity and enthusiasm, the end result in terms of story telling / song writing does nothing for me ... as did the ARG, which was surprising at the time considering the team behind The Dark Knight viral marketing was behind it.

To me, the production and just overall sound of the record sounds like GarageBand loops you get that comes with your software and its got some of my least favorite songs / Trent vocal deliveries of all time. Every time I go back to it, I just can't finish it. I appreciate those who love it, and I'm glad you do ... but I'm fine with never revisiting that era again.
    Is this Jakes heel turn?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Is this Jakes heel turn?
    LOL! If this is my heel turn, then the seeds have been set since April of 2007.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    LOL! If this is my heel turn, then the seeds have been set since April of 2007.
    Long term story telling haha

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Didn’t he record most of it on laptops while on the road? That would explain the GB loops complaint, lol.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Didn’t he record most of it on laptops while on the road? That would explain the GB loops complaint, lol.
    He did! And maybe that's why I can't unshake it, haha. I remember the photo of him and Atticus recording in a hotel room with Trent holding a bass guitar.

But even flow wise — like The Beginning of the End has so much different dynamics and production than the rest of the album that it almost feels like a With Teeth hold over before jumping right into a sharper more sleek sound with Survivalism. I don't know. It just ain't my bag, baby.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah that's not really the problem, and in my case I'm so unfamiliar with all this aspect, I don't know shit about samples and plugins. He could make a whole album with pre-programmed loops and samples and I wouldn't notice.

But the whole thing doesn't gel for me ; it's like the tracks never quite go there. The Great Destroyer tries to kick your face but merely waves its feet at it, Capital G wants to be funky with cement shoes, I have no idea what Me I'm Not is supposed to feel like...

I was so on board when I heard My Violent Heart, but emotionally it's all too restrained, or limited. I dig the sound, the concept, and I think that technically there's nothing at fault in this album. It just never sounds quite right.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’m making a beeline to the ring and hitting Stunners on all the Year Zero (the third best NIN album) blasphemers.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I’m making a beeline to the ring and hitting Stunners on all the Year Zero (the third best NIN album) blasphemers.
    "My God, King! It's The Great Destroyer!"

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I'm not sharing a ring with someone who can't even spell Broken properly. Not even close. Big L.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I let it settle for a couple days, hopefully everyone official is taking a break from the socials, but I just had to say I was pretty disappointed the Fan Day Q&A had only 2 fan questions. She said they were the output of several merged questions, but there's no way it'd boil down to those 2. It was a let down. I get culling out the "when will we see the new album" or "when is YZ vinyl going to be available", but that's ~34 years of history on stage. There was great potential for interesting responses to PHM/Broken/TDS era questions or the range of experience touring and how it's changed over the years.

Perhaps this was an easier way to reign some of them in, but it's a fan focused Q&A and that random memory bank stuff is what I was wanting to hear. We did get some of that through the individual portions of the session and I get that some folks might not be crazy about getting put on the spot or public speaking in general, but some simple roundtable type questions would have been nice. They're all pre-screened so they can have time to think up a response and not feel put on the spot.

/rant

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    I let it settle for a couple days, hopefully everyone official is taking a break from the socials, but I just had to say I was pretty disappointed the Fan Day Q&A had only 2 fan questions. She said they were the output of several merged questions, but there's no way it'd boil down to those 2. It was a let down. I get culling out the "when will we see the new album" or "when is YZ vinyl going to be available", but that's ~34 years of history on stage. There was great potential for interesting responses to PHM/Broken/TDS era questions or the range of experience touring and how it's changed over the years.

Perhaps this was an easier way to reign some of them in, but it's a fan focused Q&A and that random memory bank stuff is what I was wanting to hear. We did get some of that through the individual portions of the session and I get that some folks might not be crazy about getting put on the spot or public speaking in general, but some simple roundtable type questions would have been nice. They're all pre-screened so they can have time to think up a response and not feel put on the spot.

/rant
    I agree. I enjoyed what we got overall but there was just so much untapped potential for questions and I’m not sure if there will be another opportunity like that with them all there again.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I think the main "conversation" part took up way more time than they planned for (probably because of Danny and Robin, honestly), so the chunk of time they had reserved for fan questions got eaten into considerably. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but agree that only 2 questions at a "Fan Q&A" seems a little insufficient, so I can see why some were disappointed. They should have just "gone into overtime" and taken an extra 20 minutes to answer another handful of questions. I'd love to see a "part two" where they actually spend more time answering fan questions (moderated to ensure there's no overlapping questions, no questions about Tapeworm, etc.).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I think the main "conversation" part took up way more time than they planned for (probably because of Danny and Robin, honestly), so the chunk of time they had reserved for fan questions got eaten into considerably. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but agree that only 2 questions at a "Fan Q&A" seems a little insufficient, so I can see why some were disappointed. They should have just "gone into overtime" and taken an extra 20 minutes to answer another handful of questions. I'd love to see a "part two" where they actually spend more time answering fan questions (moderated to ensure there's no overlapping questions, no questions about Tapeworm, etc.).
    ngl, I think moderation was a bit long winded. In another life I'd plot a timeline of the speaker, but my snide attempt having watched it exactly once.

60+% moderator
    8% TR
    8% Patrick
    7% Danny
    7% Robin
    4% Atticus
    2% Charlie
    2% Ilan
    <2% Chris

Oops I missed Ally (perhaps that's telling of how much I recall him chiming in) <1%