Page 119 of 160 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,570 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Broken vibes way better/more with Pretty Hate Machine than The Downward Spiral.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I can't imagine this not being a controversial NIN opinion at all on ETS. I'm sure I never posted it here before, because I didn't think too much of it until now.

Anyway, I don't know what it is, aside from how catchy it is, but Pretty Hate Machine has always been the most fun Nine Inch Nails record of all time, out of all of them to me, even until now. And all lyrics aside, I just get a very upbeat and chill vibe from it. (As in upbeat and chill at the very same time.)
    With Teeth and Hesitation Marks are almost as fun/catchy as PHM imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sanctified studio bass >>>>>>>> Pino live bass > all other live Sanctified bass
    Heresy is the most childish and intolerable song Trent ever released.
    Just Like You Imagined is probably my favourite NIN song.
    Getting Smaller is absolutely kickass, and so is The Collector. You Know What You Are, on the other hand, sucks.
    Although I like Bad Witch, I never go out of my way to listen to any tracks from it.
    Dear World, is the best trilogy song.
    Complication is one of my favourites on TF.

Also, not sure how unpopular this is, but:

The Tension stage setup is the single most stunning live production I've ever seen, and if it were combined with the current setlist variety it could be the greatest tour in modern music history.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esperanzan View Post
    Sanctified studio bass >>>>>>>> Pino live bass > all other live Sanctified bass
    Pino bass > studio bass > other bass for me.

Heresy is the most childish and intolerable song Trent ever released.
    NO. Maybe the lyrics irritates you, but at least musically it's one of his best.

Just Like You Imagined is probably my favourite NIN song.
    One of my favorites off The Fragile too.

Getting Smaller is absolutely kickass, and so is The Collector. You Know What You Are, on the other hand, sucks.
    I like Getting Smaller. The Collector is better live with the additional lyrics. On the other hand, You Know What You Are? sound much better in the studio.

The Tension stage setup is the single most stunning live production I've ever seen, and if it were combined with the current setlist variety it could be the greatest tour in modern music history.
    Agree that Tension is one of the greatest stage production that ever was, but with almost 70 songs being played as of now, Tension-level setup would be close to impossible. Can't even imagine what the production cost would be.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 10-17-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Agree that Tension is one of the greatest stage production that ever was, but with almost 70 songs being played as of now, Tension-level setup would be close to impossible. Can't even imagine what the production cost would be.
    I don't know if you guys missed Lights in the Sky, but as amazing as Tension was, LITS was superior – so much so that people used to call Tension "Lights in the Sky Lite." LITS production + current tour's setlists = pretty much impossible, but it would be the single greatest representation of NIN live (my opinion, of course).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

The Tension stage setup is the single most stunning live production I've ever seen, and if it were combined with the current setlist variety it could be the greatest tour in modern music history .
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post

Lights In The Sky > Tension

There was way more interactive stuff going on during LITS. I think the only thing Tension had on LITS was about 5 years of technology (ie better screens).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Lights In The Sky > Tension

There was way more interactive stuff going on during LITS. I think the only thing Tension had on LITS was about 5 years of technology (ie better screens).
    Yeah actually I forgot about the interactive elements of LITS, particularly the Echoplex/Closer stuff.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Lmao remember when Trent bamboozled us over a year ago with his whole “deviations” edition of the fragile, said it was limited and charged $80 for it and it turned out to be the lowest quality packaging available and is still available over a year later?

That was stupid.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Lmao remember when Trent bamboozled us over a year ago with his whole “deviations” edition of the fragile, said it was limited and charged $80 for it and it turned out to be the lowest quality packaging available and is still available over a year later?

That was stupid.
    I literally think about it every time I see my own copy/other copies anywhere.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Do you guys think Trent would actively be that cynical and slimy? What are the odds he just severely overestimated the demand? And also that he may have a bunch of extras because the people in charge of that whole thing kept fucking it up?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Do you guys think Trent would actively be that cynical and slimy? What are the odds he just severely overestimated the demand? And also that he may have a bunch of extras because the people in charge of that whole thing kept fucking it up?
    It’s all unfortunate but I agree that he wasn’t trying to dupe us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sonically, and possibly musically, Ghosts is the best thing Nine Inch Nails have released since The Fragile.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^ And it's the last time we've had truly 'sad' Nine Inch Nails songs, IMO. (That and Lights In The Sky). As amazing as I think post-2010 NIN is, I think TR+AR have relegated too much of their very somber and contemplative sounds to their film score work, whereas they've streamlined the NIN sound to not really plumb those depths, sonically. Maybe they do want to keep it separate, but consider tracks like "A Minute To Breathe" or "Background Noise" and think about how somber they are.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Maybe they do want to keep it separate, but consider tracks like "A Minute To Breathe" or "Background Noise" and think about how somber they are.
    The Background World is one of my favorite songs period. I don't have an issue with the quality of the albums or song writing... there is just something different for post The Fragile recording. It is sort of flat sonically. With Teeth wasn't bad in that regard, but everything since with the exception of Ghosts and some of the score work hasn't had that same openness to the sound and that is what I really love about Ghosts. It just "sounds" amazing. If the best (my favorite) tracks from those sessions had been a little more fleshed out and added vocals it would hands-down be my favorite release of theirs.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    ^^ And it's the last time we've had truly 'sad' Nine Inch Nails songs, IMO. (That and Lights In The Sky).
    Way to throw "This Isn't The Place" under the bus.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

This is isn’t the place makes me feel saddest of all nin songs ever. If I listen to it in the wrong mood, I’ll cry my damn eyes out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love the Switch remix of Capital G.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    This is isn’t the place makes me feel saddest of all nin song ever. If I listen to it in the wrong mood, I’ll cry my damn eyes out.
    :: raises hand :: like every time i hear it

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    The Background World is one of my favorite songs period. I don't have an issue with the quality of the albums or song writing... there is just something different for post The Fragile recording. It is sort of flat sonically. With Teeth wasn't bad in that regard, but everything since with the exception of Ghosts and some of the score work hasn't had that same openness to the sound and that is what I really love about Ghosts. It just "sounds" amazing. If the best (my favorite) tracks from those sessions had been a little more fleshed out and added vocals it would hands-down be my favorite release of theirs.
    I meant Background Noise from GG, not TBW! Love that thing.

Also, shame on me...yes, I forgot about This Isn't The Place. It is quite sad, knowing its genesis. I do think there's something to it that still gives it more of a chill feeling. The ending when the percussion drops out is the saddest part, though.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    It is quite sad, knowing its genesis.
    I could use a reminder on this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I could use a reminder on this.
    I feel like @joplinpicasso might be confusing the inspiration for The Lovers with This Isn't the Place (which has been speculated to be a tribute to Bowie, but has not been confirmed).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    @sonic_discord No, I was thinking of the Bowie tribute factor, which I thought was in fact recently confirmed at a show during banter! Hm.. Well, either way, I definitely find The Lovers and TITP to be sad, but they still have these great grooves, which I love.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    One more: This is a controversial thread right? Yes people change and mature; but TR has lost an edge when it comes to his recent works. In the 90's we had humans being ground up into meat. I found the video for 'Help Me I'm In Hell' to be verrrryyy interesting. Then there's the SIN video and much much more. Closer vid is very intelligent.

But is TR playing it safe lately? He talks about music today being too safe yet he doesn't really do anything controversial or edgy himself.

That's totally fine, personally I've grown and have a reputation to maintain for myself so I get it.

'CBH' was a cool and interesting video, one doesn't need to include sex, guts and gore to produce something "edgy". And "How Long" video was very interesting. But they are all safe (aside from the possible seizures triggered by CBH video).

His scores are fairly safe too, aside from the awesome retaliation scene in "TGWTDT".

Does TR need to put out something "edgy"? Maybe the "Edgy/Controversial" Trent Reznor was never the real Trent and this is what he struggles with... "thats not the real me, Im actually not that into shit like that".

Maybe TR needs to get behind the camera again.

As a consumer of all of his work; scoring is becoming a bit repetitive; does he want to become an Elfman?
    They performed a new track on the new Twin Peaks in one of the weirdest TV eps in history. That's edgy to me.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    @sonic_discord No, I was thinking of the Bowie tribute factor, which I thought was in fact recently confirmed at a show during banter! Hm.. Well, either way, I definitely find The Lovers and TITP to be sad, but they still have these great grooves, which I love.
    He did say that Bowie was on his mind when writing the song. It was in an interview maybe after the second ep came out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I hadn't heard about it coming up in a recent concert, but I'm very interested in hearing what he said about it! Those are probably my two favorite songs on Add Violence. I often feel The Background World and The Lovers are tied for my second favorite, but that #1 slot definitely goes to This Isn't the Place.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    With Teeth and Hesitation Marks are almost as fun/catchy as PHM imo.
    I loved that you mentioned With Teeth and Hesitation Marks because it reminds me that I often also recommended Hesitation Marks to anybody that loved PHM and/or WT.

And I'd totally agree with you, as I also sometimes tend to switch it up between all 3 albums for that very reason alone. Specific songs in mind would be the following.

With Teeth

All The Love In The World
    The Hand That Feeds
    Every Day Is Exactly The Same
    With Teeth
    Only
    Sunsposts

Hesitation Marks
    Copy Of A
    Came Back Haunted
    Find My Way (At least for some sort of chill Something I Can Never Have type of flow/vibe.)
    All Time Love
    Everything
    Satellite
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-20-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I loved that you mentioned With Teeth and Hesitation Marks because it reminds me that I often also recommended Hesitation Marks to anybody that loved PHM and/or WT.
    How do you take into account the fact there's a lot less full-vocal singing in HzMx, half of it is either spoken or whispered, do you consider this factor at all?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    How do you take into account the fact there's a lot less full-vocal singing in HzMx, half of it is either spoken or whispered, do you consider this factor at all?
    I have actually thought about it, but I was just going by catchiness alone for the most part.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I'm with @Halo Infinity on this one.

Furthermore, I would recommend any nin record to anyone who liked any other nin record.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    This has GOT to be the last large scale NIN tour or the final tour of NIN as we know it or SOMETHING. These setlists are too fucking crazy, and the multiple nights.