Page 151 of 160 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,530 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    People tend to underrate some singles and undersell them just because they are so more known and perhaps a little overplayed, stuff like Closer/The Hand That Feeds/Discipline deserve a lot of praise (and others which I forgot), they are fantastically written songs which still have a lot of unique elements connected to NIN while having a lot of Pop sensibilities, masterfully crafted.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Comparing "Everything" to The Cure and Joy Division is a severe disservice to the entire discographies of both bands, and I mean that in the kindest and most sincere way possible.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Does Nine Inch Nails exist anymore? Its pretty obvious at this point NIN is just a side project that they do whenever they are bored or have a minute to spare and scoring work is TR and ARs main focus. Its a shame NIN will never be Trents main focus again. I get the feeling Atticus could give a fuck and would prefer to focus on score work. And we all know Hollywood doesn't give 2 shits about NIN so they will call Trent up anytime they want a score and force him to drop everything. If Trent is planning some big NIN album/tour and Fincher calls up and asks Trent to take the next 6 months out of his schedule to score his next film...You think Fincher gives a shit about NIN? He will expect Trent to drop everything and focus on the film score. And knowing Trent, who apparently never says no to a score project, he will drop everything......I was hoping after Trent resurrected NIN in 2013, that it would be his primary focus and score work would be in the background....At least until he hit 60, and then he could transition into film scoring as his bread and butter and do NIN as a secondary project. That ship has sailed. I dig the scores but I prefer NIN. I also preferred when he dropped 1 score every couple of years because they stood out more. Social Network and TGWTDT stand out. Now that hes dropping 10 scores a year, they all bleed into eachother. Does anyone even remember Waves? Or mid 90s? Can anyone tell the difference between Patriots Day and Before The Flood? What the fuck was Ghosts V/VI exactly? Bottom line is we have had 1 full length NIN in the last 11 years and 9999999999 scores in that same span of time....Scores are cool. NIN is better...I am sure Trent will shit out some 4 song NIN EP next summer and everyone will go crazy about how active NIN is....One 4 song EP every 2 years is side project material
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-08-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I also preferred when he dropped 1 score every couple of years because they stood out more. Social Network and TGWTDT stand out. Now that hes dropping 10 scores a year, they all bleed into eachother. Does anyone even remember Waves? Or mid 90s? Can anyone tell the difference between Patriots Day and Before The Flood? What the fuck was Ghosts V/VI exactly? Bottom line is we have had 1 full length NIN in the last 11 years and 9999999999 scores in that same span of time....Scores are cool. NIN is better...I am sure Trent will shit out some 4 song NIN EP next summer and everyone will go crazy about how active NIN is....One 4 song EP every 2 years is side project material
    I think you have a point for a few of the in-between scores. Patriot's Day, Bird's Box and Waves don't really stand out to me.

I will say both Watchmen and Mank are two of their finest scores and feature many styles outside of their comfort zone. Also I'm looking forward to Soul, never thought they would ever had done a Pixar movie.

They're on a good track with the scores. It wouldn't surprise me if another Oscar is heading their way.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Does Nine Inch Nails exist anymore? Its pretty obvious at this point NIN is just a side project that they do whenever they are bored or have a minute to spare and scoring work is TR and ARs main focus.
    Without delving too much into Trents personal life i'm seeing Trent being a score factory as him sort of seeing his own mortality, having 5 or 6 kids and realizing he's not gonna be able to tour and make money for them like he was in his 30s. So my hunch is he is just banking all that cash for his family and he's made NIN a merch store that sometimes puts out some new music to help keep the merch selling.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Does Nine Inch Nails exist anymore?
    Dude, it's been two years since Bad Witch came out. That's not even close to the longest wait in between albums. Quit your bitching.

The amount of vitriol that fans spew at Trent & Atticus for doing something that's not Nine Inch Nails work is disgusting. I'm not surprised that Trent doesn't interact with the fanbase as much as he used to. If you had to listen to fans whine about you doing something that you enjoyed and that has been a good creative endeavor for you, you'd tune it out too.

Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    i'm seeing Trent being a score factory...
    A score factory would be taking every job that lands on their desk. Trent & Atticus have said that they've turned down a lot of work because a lot of projects just aren't interesting to them. I don't doubt that they get paid well for their work, but the idea that they're just doing it for the money rings false.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 12-08-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    A quick google says he's worth $70-80M. Surely that's enough for one family?

Opinion: I'm getting a vibe that NIN isn't his priority, and he's fine with that. He's having too much fun being challenged by "new things" in scores. I'm bummed out about it. Guess I'll put on Year Zero again...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    NIN retired in 2009, remember? Legit complain about the output since then, and conveniently forget a few agonizing five-year waits between albums before that.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    He's having too much fun being challenged by "new things" in scores.
    Can someone explain to me why this is such a bad thing?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think if it wasn't for the score work then we wouldn't be getting material like the EP trilogy, let alone Locusts (which is top-tier nin as far as I'm concerned). TR doesn't need nine inch nails to pay the bills anymore, and so he's free to take it in more interesting directions. That's great, I think.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    NIN retired in 2009, remember? Legit complain about the output since then, and conveniently forget a few agonizing five-year waits between albums before that.
    1000 x this, we are blessed with NIN music presently compared to the droughts between albums from when I first got into them (1992) and you can just ignore the scores if they’re not your thing

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think that was just for NIN as a touring band IIRC. In Trent's original statement I think he said NIN would still exist as a studio project, but no touring.

Glad he changed his mind. Tension 2013 was one of the best tours.

And yes...those waits between albums were an eternity. Waiting for The Fragile to come out seemed like a lifetime. Newer fans really have it made.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ...and you can just ignore the scores if they’re not your thing
    Yep.

I'll never understand why fans seem to have this irrational belief that Trent & Atticus don't care about Nine Inch Nails because they're creating film scores, or that they do it as some sort of slight against the fans. If they didn't care, why would they continue to make music as Nine Inch Nails? It makes zero sense.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Can someone explain to me why this is such a bad thing?
    I didn't say it was. I like the scores somewhat, but I'd rather have more NIN material. Hence why I was bummed out.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I didn't say it was.
    I know. It was a general statement. Wasn't meant to be aimed at you directly.

Trent (and now Atticus) has been doing NIN work for over thirty years. In my opinion, he's more than earned the right to explore other creative avenues. I don't feel that doing so comes at the expense of more NIN, but that's just me. Frankly, as much as I enjoyed the EP trilogy, their score work in the past few years has been more interesting and challenging. I'm sure Trent & Atticus feel that NIN is a very specific box to be put into, and that they feel the need to express themselves in other ways that don't fit into that box, which is a totally valid thing to do. That's what real artists do. They grow and explore and discover. They don't just kowtow to what fans want or expect. Unfortunately, fans tend to treat musicians like jukeboxes rather than artists. "Here's a quarter. Play what I want and don't you dare deviate from it."
    Last edited by BRoswell; 12-08-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I'm actually kinda/sorta OK with NIN nor releasing much over the span of the last X amount of years. The output has been pretty "meh" to me (I don't care how "creative" or "different" some fans around here think it is), which is fine since many bands 30 year into their discography aren't really putting out their best stuff anyways. There's something to be said for being young(er) and hungry I suppose.

Now, I REALLY want another 50 NIN tours before we all kick the bucket- those rarely disappoint. But we all know where the world is with live shows at the moment and near future. :/ I'll be bummed if we aren't able to witness the live act anymore.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Does Nine Inch Nails exist anymore? Its pretty obvious at this point NIN is just a side project that they do whenever they are bored or have a minute to spare and scoring work is TR and ARs main focus.
    lol. It's been 2 years since Bad Witch, less than a year since his last two NIN albums.

And we all know Hollywood doesn't give 2 shits about NIN so they will call Trent up anytime they want a score and force him to drop everything.
    lol. "Hollywood doesn't like my idol's music so they keep hiring him.
    lol. "Reznor has no agency and has to do things he doesn't want to because Hollywood makes him."

If Trent is planning some big NIN album/tour and Fincher calls up and asks Trent to take the next 6 months out of his schedule to score his next film...You think Fincher gives a shit about NIN? He will expect Trent to drop everything and focus on the film score.
    lol. "TR & AR can't recorded on tour." Year Zero, The Slip, Bird Box, and mid90s apparently don't count.

And knowing Trent, who apparently never says no to a score project, he will drop everything......
    lol. TR only gets offered good movies, don't you know? Never turns anything down. Can't wait for his scores for Tyler Perry's "A Madea Family Suicide" and Adam Sandler's "The Week Of... (NIN)".

Now that hes dropping 10 scores a year, they all bleed into eachother. Does anyone even remember Waves? Or mid 90s? Can anyone tell the difference between Patriots Day and Before The Flood?
    lol. "The solo piano score sounds just like the electronic avant garde score. Watchmen and Gone Girl were indistinguishable. Patriot's Day could have had a 40s era big band score and it would have sounded exactly the same."

What the fuck was Ghosts V/VI exactly?
    lol. The albums that you wanted but are ignoring cause you didn't like them.

I am sure Trent will shit out some 4 song NIN EP next summer and everyone will go crazy about how active NIN is....One 4 song EP every 2 years is side project material
    You know what, no lol. You have a point here. I too am dismayed at the length of the individual albums that NIN has produced recently. Quality doesn't really matter so much in my eyes, quantity is the mark of a great artist. The Godfather trilogy is alright, but it totals 539 minutes, so if you want real art, you should watch Hubie Halloween 6 times in a row. That's 612 minutes! That makes it objectively better.

Seriously, I bought a bitch-o-meter recently and this post just fried it.
    I'm in awe of the level of entitlement in every post you make, but this one takes the cake.
    You're like a master swordsmen, only instead of studying the blade, you studied the book of Karen.
    It is truly such an accomplishment that you've taken what most people view as a personality flaw afflicting the most irritating members of society, and turned it into an artform so pure, so pristine, it's a shame that it can't be solidified into a physical object and displayed in the Musée d'Orsay.
    If you bottled up all of your posts and sold them at the farmer's market, you could have started an empire and run Morton Salt out of business this year.
    Teach me your ways, oh great bitch master.
    Last edited by zecho; 12-08-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For the record... NIN was suppose to be on Tour this past fall. That very well could have been a gateway to more “NIN” music releases.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I definitely prefer NIN over the score work, but I wouldn't say it's not a priority for Trent and Atticus anymore. Rather I just think it's something they do when they're feeling inspired to go that route. To me it seems like they're in a position where they don't need to keep churning out albums to keep a record label happy or to keep the funds flowing. And because of that they can return to NIN when they feel like it. This makes the releases more meaningful in way. Trent and Atticus are doing it because they felt they had something interesting to say as NIN, not because they needed another album to finish out their contract or something. And I feel it's this approach that keeps NIN fun for both of them. I would rather have that than an artist who feels obligated to tour or to releases albums if they're no longer interested. Though I will agree and say that with so many scores coming out they start to run together, but that's okay. I just don't listen to them if I'm not interested.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I know. It was a general statement. Wasn't meant to be aimed at you directly.

Trent (and now Atticus) has been doing NIN work for over thirty years. In my opinion, he's more than earned the right to explore other creative avenues. I don't feel that doing so comes at the expense of more NIN, but that's just me. Frankly, as much as I enjoyed the EP trilogy, their score work in the past few years has been more interesting and challenging. I'm sure Trent & Atticus feel that NIN is a very specific box to be put into, and that they feel the need to express themselves in other ways that don't fit into that box, which is a totally valid thing to do. That's what real artists do. They grow and explore and discover. They don't just kowtow to what fans want or expect. Unfortunately, fans tend to treat musicians like jukeboxes rather than artists. "Here's a quarter. Play what I want and don't you dare deviate from it."
    I fully respect and agree with your view. I like the score work. I think it's awesome that TR/AR are exploring that. The Watchmen score is my jam right now.
    I don't wish to pigeon-hole them at all.

I say the next section without being overly dramatic or trying to piss in someone's cornflakes:
    I guess I'm hoping for another NIN album with lyrics and vocals that cut deep. I know fundamentally that the score work doesn't interfere with that. But it's natural to wonder how many more years until you scratch that itch.
    And yes, I know it's only been 2 years since Bad Witch...but I guess when you've had to wait 5+ years for one album, one tends to get anxious. And perhaps in our society of instant gratification, we're less trained in anticipation.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Dude, it's been two years since Bad Witch came out. That's not even close to the longest wait in between albums. Quit your bitching.

The amount of vitriol that fans spew at Trent & Atticus for doing something that's not Nine Inch Nails work is disgusting. I'm not surprised that Trent doesn't interact with the fanbase as much as he used to. If you had to listen to fans whine about you doing something that you enjoyed and that has been a good creative endeavor for you, you'd tune it out too.

A score factory would be taking every job that lands on their desk. Trent & Atticus have said that they've turned down a lot of work because a lot of projects just aren't interesting to them. I don't doubt that they get paid well for their work, but the idea that they're just doing it for the money rings false.

I am getting lectured by a guy who said Pretty Hate Machine is a shit album and who thinks Puscifer is better than Tool. GTFO lmao. I respect your opinion on music as much as I respect a Lil Peep and Juice Wrld fans opinion on music. Stop stalking me and obsessing on all my posts. You're on some Lifetime movie shit bruh. But first, tell me more about how Puscifer is superior to anything Tool has done. I need a good laugh
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-08-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I am getting lectured by a guy who said Pretty Hate Machine is a shit album and who thinks Puscifer is better than Tool.
    I never said either of those things...bruh. You should know the Pretty Hate Machine thing isn't true since you've said in the past that I'm a fanboy who just likes everything Trent does. You say I'm obsessed with you, but you're the one that's obsessed with how Trent & Atticus won't bend to your will. It's all you post about. Your posts are toothless and whiny at this point. Pull up your big boy pants and get over it already.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 12-08-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Does Nine Inch Nails exist anymore? Its pretty obvious at this point NIN is just a side project that they do whenever they are bored or have a minute to spare and scoring work is TR and ARs main focus. Its a shame NIN will never be Trents main focus again. I get the feeling Atticus could give a fuck and would prefer to focus on score work. And we all know Hollywood doesn't give 2 shits about NIN so they will call Trent up anytime they want a score and force him to drop everything. If Trent is planning some big NIN album/tour and Fincher calls up and asks Trent to take the next 6 months out of his schedule to score his next film...You think Fincher gives a shit about NIN? He will expect Trent to drop everything and focus on the film score. And knowing Trent, who apparently never says no to a score project, he will drop everything......I was hoping after Trent resurrected NIN in 2013, that it would be his primary focus and score work would be in the background....At least until he hit 60, and then he could transition into film scoring as his bread and butter and do NIN as a secondary project. That ship has sailed. I dig the scores but I prefer NIN. I also preferred when he dropped 1 score every couple of years because they stood out more. Social Network and TGWTDT stand out. Now that hes dropping 10 scores a year, they all bleed into eachother. Does anyone even remember Waves? Or mid 90s? Can anyone tell the difference between Patriots Day and Before The Flood? What the fuck was Ghosts V/VI exactly? Bottom line is we have had 1 full length NIN in the last 11 years and 9999999999 scores in that same span of time....Scores are cool. NIN is better...I am sure Trent will shit out some 4 song NIN EP next summer and everyone will go crazy about how active NIN is....One 4 song EP every 2 years is side project material
    The EP trilogy is meant to be as an album of its own and the said Trilogy is some of the most fresh NIN material we've had with Trent doing some of the craziest shit in his entire NIN discography, it's clear there is still a lot of passion and focus for NIN as a project, to claim otherwise is insane seeing the quality of the material we've received from 2016 to 2018.

And he literally dropped two full albums for free under the NIN moniker which ammounts to like three hours of music, if you like that music or not that's your problem, but NIN is clearly very active.
    Last edited by HWB; 12-09-2020 at 04:02 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I am getting lectured by a guy who said Pretty Hate Machine is a shit album and who thinks Puscifer is better than Tool. GTFO lmao. I respect your opinion on music as much as I respect a Lil Peep and Juice Wrld fans opinion on music. Stop stalking me and obsessing on all my posts. You're on some Lifetime movie shit bruh. But first, tell me more about how Puscifer is superior to anything Tool has done. I need a good laugh
    This has literally nothing to do with anything he said, this just tells me you are an immature asshole who is not interested in an actual conversation and just wants to bitch

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    You all remember this is billpulsipher’s second account right? There’s zero reason to read or engage with him.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    You all remember this is billpulsipher’s second account right? There’s zero reason to read or engage with him.
    I totally forgot about billpulsipher's existence to realize this, point taken.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    lol. It's been 2 years since bad witch, less than a year since his last two nin albums.

Lol. "hollywood doesn't like my idol's music so they keep hiring him.
    Lol. "reznor has no agency and has to do things he doesn't want to because hollywood makes him."

lol. "tr & ar can't recorded on tour." year zero, the slip, bird box, and mid90s apparently don't count.

Lol. Tr only gets offered good movies, don't you know? Never turns anything down. Can't wait for his scores for tyler perry's "a madea family suicide" and adam sandler's "the week of... (nin)".

Lol. "the solo piano score sounds just like the electronic avant garde score. Watchmen and gone girl were indistinguishable. Patriot's day could have had a 40s era big band score and it would have sounded exactly the same."

lol. The albums that you wanted but are ignoring cause you didn't like them.

You know what, no lol. You have a point here. I too am dismayed at the length of the individual albums that nin has produced recently. Quality doesn't really matter so much in my eyes, quantity is the mark of a great artist. The godfather trilogy is alright, but it totals 539 minutes, so if you want real art, you should watch hubie halloween 6 times in a row. That's 612 minutes! That makes it objectively better.

Seriously, i bought a bitch-o-meter recently and this post just fried it.
    I'm in awe of the level of entitlement in every post you make, but this one takes the cake.
    You're like a master swordsmen, only instead of studying the blade, you studied the book of karen.
    It is truly such an accomplishment that you've taken what most people view as a personality flaw afflicting the most irritating members of society, and turned it into an artform so pure, so pristine, it's a shame that it can't be solidified into a physical object and displayed in the musée d'orsay.
    If you bottled up all of your posts and sold them at the farmer's market, you could have started an empire and run morton salt out of business this year.
    Teach me your ways, oh great bitch master.
    lol

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    lol..

A lot of people bitched about Hesitation Marks when it came out, but I love that album to death. It got me through a rough period at the time and I can literally feel the growth I made as a person when I listen to it, as weird as that may sound..

A lot of people didn’t care for HTDA or never even bothered to listen to it, but that’s great chill out music to me as well..

The EP trilogy showed that NIN was still a force of nature, had varying styles across all three, and it was savvy to release them over a two-year period under the impression of all three being a part of one complete piece of work. A lot of people didn’t like what they were doing on Bad Witch, but I loved it and can’t wait to see where they go next with their sound..

The score work? They’ve yet to release one I didn’t love. I remember Waves, Bird Box, and Ghosts V-VI because it’s been my primary soundtrack(s) to this shit year we’ve been having. That’s not even taking into account everything they accomplished with the Watchmen score. November ‘19 - March ‘20 was a fucking boon if you’re a fan of what NIN/TR-AR do. Mank has me feeling the same way, and who knows what Soul is going to sound like..

It all depends on what kind of fan you are. If you grew up obsessed with NIN and you remember those long, long stretches of time you had to endure between releases, then the last 15 years has been a great time to be alive. The score work is not for everyone, but as I keep stressing, spend enough time with each one and let them sink in and you’ll notice each one has its own character and sonic blueprint that reveals itself over time..

Do I really want to see Trent, Atticus and Robin up there on stage in their 60s trying to play stuff that was written in their 20s and 30s? Not really. But I’d still go if they did it, of course. The score work, Hes Marks and a good bit of the trilogy EPs are a nice way for them to ease into middle-age and add something different and unexpected to their legacy. I certainly don’t want them pulling an Al Jourgenson and playing mediocre industrial thrash metal as quinquagenarians. NIN might be a part-time thing now, but I’m glad they have no plans to put it aside any time soon..

Fuck this, I’m going to go listen to all four hours of Mank again..

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Maynard faced a lot of the same criticisms for making music with APC and Puscfier for over a decade before Tool's Fear Inoculum finally came out last year. At least we're getting something in the interim, even if it's not what you had in mind.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Hey dude. This is "controversial NIN opinions" not "Be an abrasive asshole to other forum members"

Keep that in mind elsewhere on the board. We've got enough needless negativity on the internet, you really don't need to bring it in here. I'm candidly getting tired of you being a bull in a china shop all the time on ETS. It's why you got banned the first time. I don't need to remind you of that, but I am. Publicly.