Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The complaints about no lyrics are baffling to me. There's tons of music with Trent singing words he wrote, and clearly this music is coming from a place where he and Atticus would rather let the music speak for itself. I mean, do you guys listen to Side 2 of Bowie's Low and say "gee, I like the music, but I wish he would actually SING something"? Honestly, if you can't get into a mood or headspace without lyrics telling you how to feel, I feel kind of sorry for you.

Also, if you hated Ghosts I-IV, why the fuck would you complain about Ghosts V-VI not having lyrics?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 03-27-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The complaints about no lyrics are baffling to me.
    Many most likely get into the band because of liking Trent's voice and being able to connect with and relate to his lyrics. A cool sonic backdrop may be secondary to that for those people. If we can't hear him, that connection is lost. Nine Inch Nails is a rock band first and foremost. Guy up-front sings. Simple as that.

That, plus it's coming up to two years since Bad Witch. Sure, he's released soundtrack work since then. An absolute glut of it. I'm sure the controversial vocal few are not alone in being a bit bored of instrumentals at this point. I know I am.

I can't speak for the quality of Ghosts V-VI. My depression is such that I can't even be bothered to download it. Reading the responses here, where comparisons are drawn between this and the last X number of soundtrack works, that just wants me want to skip it completely. The line, it seems, has blurred between NIN and TR&AR. However, I might be more actively interested if it had vocals. As it is, it's a shrug and a "meh".

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Nine Inch Nails is a rock band first and foremost. Guy up-front sings. Simple as that.
    Eh, that's a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at it in my opinion, especially when you consider all that's influenced Trent & Atticus. They're clearly not interested in making digestible rock anthems all the time. They like to get weird and make stuff that doesn't always conform to what people expect them to put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Fuck yes I do. Low was his best album and it would be 10 times better if he did vocals on more than 5 songs.
    Ay yi yi...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails is a rock band first and foremost. Guy up-front sings. Simple as that.
    Eh, that's a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at it in my opinion
    No, it isn't. This is what fans expect from a band that's presented itself as such for decades, playing the hits night after night. People are simple and they want simple things. Pretty obvious, if you ask me.

They're clearly not interested in making digestible rock anthems all the time. They like to get weird and make stuff that doesn't always conform to what people expect them to put out.
    That's exactly the problem. It *does* conform, but not in a way that the aforementioned fans want. The point many have made before me is that it's too similar to the soundtrack work which previously was kept somewhat at arms length from NIN. TRAR have essentially trolled the fanbase by handing us two new NIN albums for free (!), except with the caveat that it's not really NIN, it's just more of the same homogeneous soundtrack stuff that many of us have become sick of. With that in mind, it's understandable that some are disappointed.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    ...except with the caveat that it's not really NIN...
    Can I just say how annoying this "I don't like it, therefore it's not Nine Inch Nails" mindset is? People said that when the original Ghosts came out too, and it was just as ridiculous then as it is now. You're free not to like it, but to say that it doesn't count as a Nine Inch Nails release because there's no rock anthems on it is absurd. Also, it's not your call as to what a Nine Inch Nails release is, especially when there's a wide variety of stuff under that name.

And for those that say there's no real line between Nine Inch Nails and their score work: CONGRATULATIONS! You're finally getting it!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    And for those that say there's no real line between Nine Inch Nails and their score work: CONGRATULATIONS! You're finally getting it!
    Absolutely there is a huge distinction between these two things.

Nine Inch Nails is a commentary on the nature of existence, philosophical debates, sociopolitical critique, personal angst, and so on. Everything is made with artistic intent towards whatever they're interested in at the time, be it an external narrative, realisation of inner turmoil, whatever. Maybe they just want to write songs that are fun to play live. Point is, it's self-directed.

Score work is work-for-hire. They play with someone else's story and set audio to it. Fulfil a contract.

I don't think these things are the same at all.

That doesn't mean the soundtracks aren't good music, they're just... not Nine Inch Nails... and this new release is seemingly more of the same of that.

...except with the caveat that it's not really NIN...
    Can I just say how annoying this "I don't like it, therefore it's not Nine Inch Nails" mindset is? People said that when the original Ghosts came out too, and it was just as ridiculous then as it is now. You're free not to like it, but to say that it doesn't count as a Nine Inch Nails release because there's no rock anthems on it is absurd. Also, it's not your call as to what a Nine Inch Nails release is, especially when there's a wide variety of stuff under that name.
    Rubbish. Utter nonsense. I never said this, although I did admit I was a bit bored of score work. You may have missed the entire rest of that sentence, which is how TR&AR=/=NIN.

You stated earlier:
    All my replies to you have been trying to answer this query, which honestly seems pretty obvious. I'm explaining what the majority of fans want, and this is not what those fans want. Note that we on this board are not the majority.

Imagine if next tour, they only play this material. No one can deny that there'd be an uproar in the community.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Score work is work-for-hire. They play with someone else's story and set audio to it. Fulfil a contract.
    This is pretty condescending to me because I actually do score work (not bragging, just stating a fact), and you make it sound like you're on autopilot or only doing it for a paycheck when you do that kind of work. Personally, I have done work that was solely for the money, but 90% of the time its been about the spirit of collaboration and serving a story you believe in and want to see come to life. I imagine they feel the same way too.

I'm explaining what the majority of fans want, and this is not what those fans want. Note that we on this board are not the majority.
    The majority that you speak of want Closer and Head Like A Hole on repeat, and honestly, I don't think Trent & Atticus are making music for them anymore. So...fuck 'em. Also, the reception to this album has been pretty positive for the most part. Nobody's declaring it a classic, but who gives a shit?

Imagine if next tour, they only play this material. No one can deny that there'd be an uproar in the community.
    Imagine that Trent & Atticus don't create music solely to play in front of five thousand people in Poughkeepsie. Imagine that they make music to express themselves in ways that they see fit, and that might resonate with people in different ways. Imagine that not everything they make is about pleasing YOU, the perpetually disappointed. Maybe then you'll understand why they do what they do.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I mean, do you guys listen to Side 2 of Bowie's Low and say "gee, I like the music, but I wish he would actually SING something"?
    Fuck yes I do. Low was his best album and it would be 10 times better if he did vocals on more than 5 songs. My good friend is a hardcore Bowie fan and owns every album, demo and bootleg and it drives him crazy that Low and Heroes are half instrumental.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Seriously, I don't know why it bugs me if there're no lyrics. I don't really care at this point it my life why I'm not into instrumentals. I mean, I listen to Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or Echoes, or all of the new Tool. And it's more than 75% instrumentals!! But there are still lyrics somewhere to get me back into it, ... and keyboard/guitars/bass/drums, but that might be another topic. I don't hate Ghosts. I don't hate anything Trent (and Atticus) has done. But I can't seem get in the mood. It's missing something "for my personal listening pleasure". BUT, I'm really happy people are trilled about Ghosts 5-6 and all of their soundtracks. I mean, it's Trent Reznor! (and Atticus Ross).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I know this is the controversial thread but it's really fun to see people like "WHY PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING THIS??? I'M NOT ENJOYING, THEY SHOULDN'T ENJOY IT TOO!!!" or "THIS IS NOT MY NIN" as the world is centered around them.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    I know this is the controversial thread but it's really fun to see people like "WHY PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING THIS??? I'M NOT ENJOYING, THEY SHOULDN'T ENJOY IT TOO!!!" or "THIS IS NOT MY NIN" as the world is centered around them.
    where are you seeing that? Please do quote, since you’re implying people as multiple.