Page 133 of 133 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 3990

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    1. Add Violence
    2. Bad Witch
    3. NTAE

Add Violence has both This Isn't the Place and The Background World which are both in my top ten or so songs by the band. Bad Witch has Over and Out which is in that category as well. However, I think The Lovers is the most BORING track that TR has ever done. Not the Actual Events was cool, and the songs really come alive in a live setting. But I probably haven't listened to that one front to back since i listened to the trilogy front to back when Bad Witch came out.
    Last edited by ryanmcfly; 07-30-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I think The Lovers is the most BORING track that TR has ever done. Bad Witch has Over and Out which is in that category as well.
    I agree with this somewhat. I do quite like The Lovers, I just wish he did a little more with the lyrics in the chorus beyond repeating the same line. However, Over and Out just doesn't go anywhere at all; it just sort of happens and then fades away. That's probably the point, although it doesn't quite hit the right spot for me.

In spite of this, I applaud TRAR for being experimental and trying something new. I like this version of NIN where each track is completely different from the last and we don't know what to expect. As David Lynch said, I want new NIN to "make my hair stand on end".

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    However, I think The Lovers is the most BORING track that TR has ever done.
    How so?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    How so?
    Same repetitive beat, whispers, basic chorus. Nothing really happens with it. It's definitely the most boring live song for them since there's not much live stuff going on with it. I can't think of another NIN song where I legitimately thought it was boring.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I miss Trent's high-notes, I know there is nothing much that can be done, but they gave so much power to his aggressive music, With_Teeth is an album I cherish, for a lot of things, one of them being due to Trent's strong, raw vocal performance he has on it, he has never really come close to that level of performance since.

To add to this; With_Teeth's anger has always been the most effective for me, I won'tact like it is tha angriest record, but its more stripped down composition combined with very "in your face" lyricism (more than ever, even for NIN), makes it an incredibly carthatic listen which no other NIN album really comes close to. I am weirded out when people say that With_Teeth has no "teeth".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Fixed > Broken
    I have to say I enjoy it more now than I did back in the day. It makes for a good "companion" (as I think TR once called it) to Broken. I wouldn't say I like it better, but it's grown in stature with me.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Same repetitive beat, whispers, basic chorus. Nothing really happens with it.
    You should probably listen to the Song Exploder episode where Trent & Atticus break down the track, because there's a lot more going on in it than what you described. I mean, something like Zero-Sum strikes me as being more repetitive than The Lovers. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that The Lovers feels more dynamic than that.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 07-27-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    You should probably listen to the Song Exploder episode where Trent & Atticus break down the track, because there's a lot more going on in it than what you described. I mean, something like Zero-Sum strikes me as being more repetitive than The Lovers. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that The Lovers feels more dynamic than that.
    Yeah, I'll have to check that out. It sounds like there's alot underneath the layers, it just feels boring in execution to me. The beat is mega repetitive. And I'm not a fan of the tape recorder thing from the live shows.

I think Zero-sum is significantly more interesting than the Lovers. That may be due to the beat changing a bit in the chorus, the piano, the TR choir thing he does in the chorus is great too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Song Exploder helped me give the song another chance and a little more appreciation, but I still find the chorus to be lame and Trent sounds too nasally and whiney.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Seems like a lot of people are down on it so this seems like as good a thread as any to mention that I think The Lovers is the best song on Add Violence. The Background World comes close but the off-balance, delirious seductiveness of The Lovers, the creepy and abstract lyrics married with the dueling tensions of hesitance and longing...it just hits me in the right spot. I find it very beautiful and particularly haunting. The Song Exploder feature on it only deepened that sense for me, and confirmed what a personal song it is for Trent. The fact it got played so often on Cold & Black & Infinite - probably more than any other Add Violence track - further evidences that it's a work he's pretty proud of, at least to me.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Starfuckers, Inc is fucking awesome. Am I alone in this?
    When I consider the fans that aren't on ETS, I'd certainly hope so. (It's happened to me before on forums, seeing reactions and opinions one way or another, but in real life, it's not always the case, and sometimes anything but such, even with NIN.)

But yes. Starfuckers is still by far one of my most favorite songs from The Fragile. Starfuckers and Into The Void are what also got me into The Fragile altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I never understood the hate for it.
    Me neither. I always thought it would've down great by fans that loved Head Like A Hole and Down In It. (I thought Down In It as far as the way the vocals flowed, but even the live version of Down In It packs quite the punch.)

As for the Add Violence, I've actually liked This Isn't The Place more than The Lovers. (As far as comparing the 2 soft/slow songs out of the rest of Add Violence.)

The Background World is still my most favorite song on it though, perhaps followed by Less Than (The catchy parts still won me over.) and Not Anymore very near it. Not Anymore got me to feel some Wish and Ruiner vibes in it as well, as well as Year Zero vibes in general. Since the trilogy has been completed, Add Violence is still my go-to release most of the time whenever I listen to it.

I also forgot to mention that No, You Don't is also one of my most favorite songs from the Right disc as well. I don't know what else to say, aside from how I just even able appreciated the instrumentals on their own.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-30-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I never understood the hate for it.
    Seriously, is this kind of a snobby ETS thing? Song is a banger, and every time Ive seen it live the crowd the crowd loves it.
    Last edited by Krazy; 07-30-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I also forgot to mention that No, You Don't is also one of my most favorite songs from the Right disc as well. I don't know what else to say, aside from how I just even able appreciated the instrumentals on their own.
    I thought No, You Don't was from the left disc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    People really underrate the stripped down, rawer rock songs (The Collector, Getting Smaller, most of The Slip).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I miss Trent's high-notes, I know there is nothing much that can be done, but they gave so much power to his aggressive music, With_Teeth is an album I cherish, for a lot of things, one of them being due to Trent's strong, raw vocal performance he has on it, he has never really come close to that level of performance since.
    I miss this too. It bugs me whenever I watch videos from recent shows that Trent sounds so deep nowadays, then I feel like an asshole for blaming him for a totally natural biological process. We gotta get Trent on some estrogen for some All The Love In The World shenanigans

Seriously though, I really do wish for this perfect NIN reality where we could get the high notes of Young Trent, and the overall composed-ness and consistency of Older Trent. Then I wonder why I care so much, especially since it's not like the recordings of Trent's higher voice have disappeared or anything. It's just a weird hang-up I have that prevents me from enjoying the music to the extent that I otherwise could.
    Last edited by KarenLeslie; 08-01-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeslie View Post
    I miss this too. It bugs me whenever I watch videos from recent shows that Trent sounds so deep nowadays, then I feel like an asshole for blaming him for a totally natural biological process. We gotta get Trent on some estrogen for some All The Love In The World shenanigans

Seriously though, I really do wish for this perfect NIN reality where we could get the high notes of Young Trent, and the overall composed-ness and consistency of Older Trent. Then I wonder why I care so much, especially since it's not like the recordings of Trent's higher voice have disappeared or anything. It's just a weird hang-up I have that prevents me from enjoying the music to the extent that I otherwise could.
    During the last tour he managed to get to some high notes that he hasn't been able to sing for maybe more than a decade. Like the "I can try to get away" part of The Becoming.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    During the last tour he managed to get to some high notes that he hasn't been able to sing for maybe more than a decade. Like the "I can try to get away" part of The Becoming.

This actually reminds me; what note is Trent hitting in the verses of Shit Mirror? I don't remember such high notes even in studio, for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post

His voice sounds really good here! I am praying for some shows at the end of 2019. Or hell, I'll settle for 2020 too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    His voice sounds really good here! I am praying for some shows at the end of 2019. Or hell, I'll settle for 2020 too.

I'Ll say this entire video is awesome in terms of Trent's performance (and everything else, of course).

It seems like his voice has someone improved recently, I am not sure what it is. The recent records kinda reflect this too
    Last edited by HWB; 08-01-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeslie View Post

OH MY GOD karen! i've missed you!!!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    I thought No, You Don't was from the left disc.
    I somehow forgot and messed up, as I kept thinking about Starfuckers, Inc. while writing that. I also tend to sometimes listen to both songs back-to-back. I can't believe that I did that either, especially as a long-time fan. Whoa. (Yeah, that pretty much sums it up right there.)

Anyway, No, You Don't and Starfuckers, Inc. are still among my most favorite songs from The Fragile altogether. I also always enjoyed hearing Pilgrimage segue into No, You Don't as well. The flow always seemed just right to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I kind of like Not So Pretty Now. *ducks*

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    I do too. Bring on the stoning!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    I always make sure that after Getting Smaller this song plays afterwards-

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    'Closer' could be better live, its too rushed and under-produced live.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    'Closer' could be better live, its too rushed and under-produced live.
    I love how much of a statement it is on record, but I'd imagine they'd have to make it more 'fun' for them live, though.

Um, my Controversial opinion is: IDNWT is one of the best songs on TDS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know we have a ton of soundtracks to enjoy (and I do), but I also secretly hope for another Ghosts album.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I love how much of a statement it is on record, but I'd imagine they'd have to make it more 'fun' for them live, though.

It is, especially the second part, on par with the best parts of the album. But the "don't you tell me how I feel" always throws me off.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes, that and NIN plays what... 20 songs live? Picking up the tempo on 'Closer' and shortening the end/outro will shave off two minutes and allow for more songs!!

For a while I was really into IDNWT; it's got such a different vibe than any of the other tracks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I dunno how that's controversial. That makes me really sad if people don't like that song. It was one of the songs that immediately grabbed me upon first hearing TDS 25 years ago. It was also one of the easier songs to "edit" the naughty words out on playback since my stereo at the time allowed me to pan the speakers. Oh, to be 13 again lmao.