Page 149 of 160 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 147 148 149 150 151 159 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,470 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My D-tier list is pretty bad. I do not think WT or TS are good albums at all (though both have a few good tracks - the title track of WITH_TEETH or "Echoplex", for instance). Conversely, I think Broken and The Fragile are two of the greatest records of all time, for very different reasons - Broken is amazing, straightforward industrial metal; The Fragile is incredibly varied and complex. There are times I think Trent is close to turning into muzak - Hesitation Marks is real muzaky in places - but times he approaches brilliance.
    Last edited by Einzige; 09-02-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    There are times I think Trent is close to turning into muzak
    ... waiting for teitan to appear with another hilarious "suck my entire cock" comment.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Is this muzak? I'm not familiar with the term (really).
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Muzak
    "carefully calibrated to the demographics of the target audience so that every age, sex, and ethnic group will be equally unhappy and unsatisfied"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Is this muzak? I'm not familiar with the term (really).
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Muzak
    "carefully calibrated to the demographics of the target audience so that every age, sex, and ethnic group will be equally unhappy and unsatisfied"
    I always thought muzak was like cheesy elevator music.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    People are not ready for my NIN ranking

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I'm 100% serious.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    o_O

-_-

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    All S-Rank

I'm 100% serious.
    R.I.P. Ghosts V and Ghosts VI.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    R.I.P. Ghosts V and Ghosts VI.
    The site didn't have them but I can assure you they'd be on the same place as the rest

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Try this one with all of the halos: https://tiermaker.com/create/nine-in...35-halos-18554
    Nobody asked, but here's my list. Don't know if it's controversial or not.
    I don't think any NIN release deserves a C or D, so outside this tier list they're actually S/A+/A-/B+/B-.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Try this one with all of the halos: https://tiermaker.com/create/nine-in...35-halos-18554
    I'll bring in updated tier list soon, this will surely shock everyone!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Bit weird to rate singles along with albums, apples and oranges

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, that's exactly what it is. Many big-name stores have yearly muzak mixtapes that are played on a loop. You can some of them on youtube.

I don't think Einzige knows what 'muzak' is. None of TR's work resembles it in the slightest.
    Muzak is industrial music (actual industrial - music constructed by and for industry) that is often pieced together from external sources and from stock music for the purpose of being inoffensive. I think this describes a lot of the score work and instrumentals TRAR have come up with in the last decade.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don't give a fuck about the Quake soundtrack being released on vinyl.

I just...don't. I owned the game, I played the game a lot, I put the soundtrack on occasionally, but it's just...really nice background noise.

And I do not give a fuck about its vinyl release.

The only thing about the vinyl I'm excited for is that we can stop talking about its impending release.

Going off that: I cannot WAIT for the rest of the NIN catalog to be released on vinyl so it can stop being a thing.

/fuckrant.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    My tier. I only added the singles because they were listed as options, but I’ve never been a completist so frankly I just haven’t looked into them much. Maybe I would rank all the remixes/reimagining higher if I had spent more time with them.

Keep in mind that I truly don’t think Trent has ever released anything bad, so my two lowest tiers are still positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Looking through older music today and listening to some recent as well.

I miss when Nine Inch Nails was just Trent. I've liked material from Hesitation Marks onwards but now it just feels like a family affair with Trent, Mariqueen and Attitcus in the band and it's not as good because of it to me.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yah, except that Atticus has been involved since With Teeth.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Yah, except that Atticus has been involved since With Teeth.
    I meant to type this in the Controversial Opinions thread. [Mod note: posts moved]

Yeah, he has but no where near the capacity he is now. His role in NIN feels 50/50 now.
    Last edited by TheBang; 09-28-2020 at 02:38 AM. Reason: moved

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    But what about the Trilogy, mist-ah Wick? Flawless IMO!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Looking through older music today and listening to some recent as well.

I miss when Nine Inch Nails was just Trent. I've liked material from Hesitation Marks onwards but now it just feels like a family affair with Trent, Mariqueen and Attitcus in the band and it's not as good because of it to me.
    Mariqueen doing some ethereal backing vocals on a couple tracks has just really sunk the NIN brand, hasn't it?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    But what about the Trilogy, mist-ah Wick? Flawless IMO!
    I don't like Add Violence much. I like the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Mariqueen doing some ethereal backing vocals on a couple tracks has just really sunk the NIN brand, hasn't it?
    No but it's still an element that was never present to NIN. That's what How To Destroy Angels is for.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    *stares in The Fragile*

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    No but it's still an element that was never present to NIN. That's what How To Destroy Angels is for.
    It's barely present in it now. She's officially credited on two NIN tracks: "She's Gone Away" and "Shit Mirror", and I dare anyone to say that her vocals on the latter make that track worse, or are even that noticeable to begin with. Honestly, this is such an odd complaint to me.

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    *stares in The Fragile*
    Yeah, but Mariqueen didn't sing on that, so it's totally different...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I suppose I meant more in a live sense for the majority of my statement. I know she isn't super prevalent on the albums studio recorded form. The band still isn't what it used to be to me, personally.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I suppose I meant more in a live sense for the majority of my statement.
    In a live sense? She's done a handful of guest appearances when the band played HTDA tracks, and she was on the Twin Peaks appearance. Aside from that, she's not been involved when the band performs live. Again, that's a really weird complaint to have. It sounds to me like you just don't care for a lot of the new music, and that's fine, but it seems strange to bring her into it when her involvement has been incredibly minimal.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I meant to type this in the Controversial Opinions thread. [Mod note: posts moved]

Yeah, he has but no where near the capacity he is now. His role in NIN feels 50/50 now.
    I kind of get what you're saying. The whole "Trent messes around, leaves the studio for 20 minutes, and Atticus arranges stuff" might be...I don't know...making Trent lazy? As opposed to him sitting there, creating and crafting every single thing by himself. I get that they both have kids and lives and everything else, and I love Atticus and what he's brought about in Reznor and brought to NIN, but I wouldn't mind Trent making something without him once in a while, just to see if he's evolved as a single entity.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    The whole "Trent messes around, leaves the studio for 20 minutes, and Atticus arranges stuff" might be...I don't know...making Trent lazy?
    I think you're mischaracterizing that quote. I don't think Trent meant that he just fucks around for a bit and lets Atticus figure out how it all fits together. Based on that quote, it sounds like Atticus is there to give some perspective to the work when Trent maybe gets too wrapped up in what he's creating or goes into his head too much. He's there to make some sense of the chaos.

And considering that they've done their most interesting and challenging work as a duo in the past couple years, I would say Atticus' involvement is definitely not making Trent lazy.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    In many ways Atticus is doing what Podboy did when he was there and what Charlie and Danny did on The Fragile

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think you're mischaracterizing that quote. I don't think Trent meant that he just fucks around for a bit and lets Atticus figure out how it all fits together. Based on that quote, it sounds like Atticus is there to give some perspective to the work when Trent maybe gets too wrapped up in what he's creating or goes into his head too much. He's there to make some sense of the chaos.

And considering that they've done their most interesting and challenging work as a duo in the past couple years, I would say Atticus' involvement is definitely not making Trent lazy.
    I get you. Didn't mean to imply Reznor kicks a guitar around the studio then goes jet skiing while Atticus makes the record. Now, it feels more like a collaboration, rather than Reznor in a room with just himself, and part of me misses that and is curious if he's still able to do that. That's all.

Although I could totally see the downside to Reznor working alone again would be his becoming a lot less productive.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    ...rather than Reznor in a room with just himself...
    I think there's a romantic notion to that idea, but has that ever really been true of Nine Inch Nails? As much as it has been Trent's project, he's had many, many collaborators over the years. It may have started with Trent creating demos on his own, but it definitely evolved beyond that in a relatively short amount of time. Trent is talented, but he's not exactly a one man band.