Page 133 of 150 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 4498

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeslie View Post
    I miss this too. It bugs me whenever I watch videos from recent shows that Trent sounds so deep nowadays, then I feel like an asshole for blaming him for a totally natural biological process. We gotta get Trent on some estrogen for some All The Love In The World shenanigans

Seriously though, I really do wish for this perfect NIN reality where we could get the high notes of Young Trent, and the overall composed-ness and consistency of Older Trent. Then I wonder why I care so much, especially since it's not like the recordings of Trent's higher voice have disappeared or anything. It's just a weird hang-up I have that prevents me from enjoying the music to the extent that I otherwise could.
    OH MY GOD karen! i've missed you!!!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    I thought No, You Don't was from the left disc.
    I somehow forgot and messed up, as I kept thinking about Starfuckers, Inc. while writing that. I also tend to sometimes listen to both songs back-to-back. I can't believe that I did that either, especially as a long-time fan. Whoa. (Yeah, that pretty much sums it up right there.)

Anyway, No, You Don't and Starfuckers, Inc. are still among my most favorite songs from The Fragile altogether. I also always enjoyed hearing Pilgrimage segue into No, You Don't as well. The flow always seemed just right to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I kind of like Not So Pretty Now. *ducks*

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    I do too. Bring on the stoning!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    I always make sure that after Getting Smaller this song plays afterwards-

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    'Closer' could be better live, its too rushed and under-produced live.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    'Closer' could be better live, its too rushed and under-produced live.
    I love how much of a statement it is on record, but I'd imagine they'd have to make it more 'fun' for them live, though.

Um, my Controversial opinion is: IDNWT is one of the best songs on TDS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know we have a ton of soundtracks to enjoy (and I do), but I also secretly hope for another Ghosts album.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I love how much of a statement it is on record, but I'd imagine they'd have to make it more 'fun' for them live, though.

It is, especially the second part, on par with the best parts of the album. But the "don't you tell me how I feel" always throws me off.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes, that and NIN plays what... 20 songs live? Picking up the tempo on 'Closer' and shortening the end/outro will shave off two minutes and allow for more songs!!

For a while I was really into IDNWT; it's got such a different vibe than any of the other tracks.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I dunno how that's controversial. That makes me really sad if people don't like that song. It was one of the songs that immediately grabbed me upon first hearing TDS 25 years ago. It was also one of the easier songs to "edit" the naughty words out on playback since my stereo at the time allowed me to pan the speakers. Oh, to be 13 again lmao.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I would download an entire album worth of Ashley O NIN covers.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    I know we have a ton of soundtracks to enjoy (and I do), but I also secretly hope for another Ghosts album.
    I know this would be anything but another Ghosts, except for being instrumental, but I'd actually love it if the songs to were be more akin to the likes of Driver Down, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man Theme, Appendage and Hello, Everything Is Not OK.

(Or perhaps pretty much like some parts of The Fragile: Deviations 1 in some ways as well, but just all new/non-The Fragile material.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-18-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: N/A

Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I know this would be anything but another Ghosts, except for being instrumental, but I'd actually love it if the songs to were be more akin to the likes of Driver Down, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man Theme, Appendage and Hello, Everything Is Not OK.

(Or perhaps pretty much like some parts of The Fragile: Deviations 1 in some ways as well, but just all new/non-The Fragile material.)
    driver down is still one of my favorite pieces of music that trent has ever created. it's so fucking good.​ especially once the saxophone comes in. ungh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hearing Trent pick up the sax again for the trilogy is actually what brought me back here. No joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe it's been said before but I actually greatly prefer the live arrangement of "1,000,000" from 2013-2018 over the one they played in 2008/2009... not as heavy without the guitar but the synth just makes it sound a bit weirder, in a good way. Same goes for "Sanctified" from that period; preferable to the version from the PHM tours and 1995/1996.

Oh and I miss Pino's bass intro on "March of the Pigs" from 2013... loved the sludgy-ness of it.

Also, semi-related, but I've always thought that "Memorabilia" would make for amazing live show closer... long and meandering with that pulsating beat running throughout, plenty of room for improv, strobe lights, each member walking off stage at the end, reminiscent of "In This Twilight" circa 2008/2009. I've loved all the show closers I've seen but this would be very different than I think anything they've done before ("Head Like a Hole", "Hurt", "Happiness in Slavery", "In This Twilight", etc.)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVirtualMemoryOfficial View Post
    Also, semi-related, but I've always thought that "Memorabilia" would make for amazing live show closer... long and meandering with that pulsating beat running throughout, plenty of room for improv, strobe lights, each member walking off stage at the end, reminiscent of "In This Twilight" circa 2008/2009. I've loved all the show closers I've seen but this would be very different than I think anything they've done before ("Head Like a Hole", "Hurt", "Happiness in Slavery", "In This Twilight", etc.)
    I don't know about closing out the show, but I would absolutely love to see it get performed at some point, precisely because there's a lot that could be done with it in a live setting. Plus, we could finally hear Robin say "What do your nipples look like?" LIVE!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Memorabilia would work very well in the Me I'm Not/The Warning/Vessel/The Great Destroyer style with everyone on synths. Trent also sometimes sings something resembling Memorabilia melody during Survivalism (before the last verse)

Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    sunspots does nothing for me. i want to find it sexy. i want​ to like it. but i just...don't. and it makes me sad

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sunspots does nothing for me. i want to find it sexy. i want​ to like it. but i just...don't. and it makes me sad
    What about the synth after “and nothing can stop me now, there is nothing to fear”?!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Not sure f this counts but...I like vocals on the single version of TDTWWA more than the album version.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Not sure f this counts but...I like vocals on the single version of TDTWWA more than the album version.
    Barely familiar with the vocals on that version. Can't even remember the last time I heard that version.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Always found that song more in the "darker" territory rather than the "sexy" one.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Eh. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart (I mean which one is which) in a blind test.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I like the added “oooohs” and “whoaoah!” from the live arrangements.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Always found that song more in the "darker" territory rather than the "sexy" one.
    It feels very weird to me when anyone talks mainly of NIN as "sexy" or treats Trent like an object, and it's very common among a wider sample of fans, unfortunately. Even on reddit, all the work on a track can just be wasted on someone just listening to it because it arouses them or whatever. Trent certainly played on that in the ol days, most of all on PHM, but 30 years later.. bit weird. It's really detrimental to the music imo. Certainly the reception of Closer has something to do with it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Barely familiar with the vocals on that version. Can't even remember the last time I heard that version.
    I was going through some records the other day and forgot why I never listen to the Porter Ricks remix of TDTWWA (it's shit) and remembered the original vocals Reznor re-recorded because he thought they were "too light and shitty sounding" (or something like that). I love the lightness and, well, fragility, and always thought they worked better than the new ones.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    It feels very weird to me when anyone talks mainly of NIN as "sexy" or treats Trent like an object, and it's very common among a wider sample of fans, unfortunately. Even on reddit, all the work on a track can just be wasted on someone just listening to it because it arouses them or whatever. Trent certainly played on that in the ol days, most of all on PHM, but 30 years later.. bit weird. It's really detrimental to the music imo. Certainly the reception of Closer has something to do with it.
    I've been reading the forum for 7 or so months now, and haven't seen anything objectifying TR. Maybe elsewhere or in the past, but nothing recent.

The referenced 'sexy' song even has the chorus:
    She turns me on
    She makes it real
    I have to to apologize
    For the way I feel

While TR may have been framing addiction in a sexual context I don't see how it's unusual for someone to view the song as sexy.
    Personally I don't find the song sexy, but I don't judge those who do.

I understand TR's stance on Closer through the interviews he has given, but given his willing participation in the filming of the video, one cannot deny a sexual element. And in my mind, that's ok! I don't need to take in artistry through an asexual perspective. Last I checked, it's all part of a healthy human experience in a consenting environment.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I feel that Sunspots has swagger... which can be sexy but it's more about confidence/self-assuredness as I see it. This doesn't take into account lyrics, just the vibe I get from it.... and why I like to play it loudly.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I've been reading the forum for 7 or so months now, and haven't seen anything objectifying TR. Maybe elsewhere or in the past, but nothing recent.

The referenced 'sexy' song even has the chorus:
    She turns me on
    She makes it real
    I have to to apologize
    For the way I feel

While TR may have been framing addiction in a sexual context I don't see how it's unusual for someone to view the song as sexy.
    Personally I don't find the song sexy, but I don't judge those who do.

I understand TR's stance on Closer through the interviews he has given, but given his willing participation in the filming of the video, one cannot deny a sexual element. And in my mind, that's ok! I don't need to take in artistry through an asexual perspective. Last I checked, it's all part of a healthy human experience in a consenting environment.

I agree I agree, i'm not talking about here, but if you stray on facebook groups, even r/nin, it can get weird real fast.