Page 140 of 145 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 4326

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

  1. #4171
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wait, what's wrong with Sunspots? That song bangs.

  2. #4172
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tap3worm View Post
    Wait, what's wrong with Sunspots? That song bangs.
    Agree to disagree y'all. The lyrics are cringe white guy rhyming.

  3. #4173
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Agree to disagree y'all. The lyrics are cringe white guy rhyming.
    Why exactly is race important here?

  4. #4174
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    526
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Agree to disagree y'all. The lyrics are cringe white guy rhyming.
    You must love "Down in It".

  5. #4175
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,720
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    I <3 Down In It. It’s what got me into NIN, specifically the hard hitting bass and bass drops. I was around 14 at the time and started getting into audio equipment (HUGE SUBWOOFERS!!!) and was cool to hear something like that rather than all the rap I was listening to.

  6. #4176
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Sunspots is a quintessential WT era song. It takes a while to prove it’s worth. But the...I think I could have been someone part more than speaks for itself...

  7. #4177
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,975
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Sunspots is nice because one can sing it along start to finish and not look like a complete weirdo, contrary to majority of nin songs revered among the hardcore fanbase such as Ruiner or Somewhat Damaged

  8. #4178
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Why exactly is race important here?
    Really? It's a figure of speech, nothing more. I don't like the song, I used a descriptor you didn't like.

  9. #4179
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tap3worm View Post
    Wait, what's wrong with Sunspots? That song bangs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Agree to disagree y'all. The lyrics are cringe white guy rhyming.
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Why exactly is race important here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Really? It's a figure of speech, nothing more. I don't like the song, I used a descriptor you didn't like.
    Really.

    Regardless of whether it's a figure of speech or some crappy meme, it's toxic, perpetuating our differences while adding nothing to the conversation. Homophobic words like "gay" (and "fag"; see Bill & Ted) were used as derogatory terms to describe anything (or anybody) bad in the '90s (something which continues to this day). That was just a "figure of speech" at the time. Does that mean it was okay? I don't think so.

    Race is irrelevant to Nine Inch Nails (aside from that one line in God Given). Trent could be any race on the planet and it wouldn't matter; the lyrics are universally relateable.

    I honestly don't care whether you like the song or not. This is a thread for controversial opinions, after all. However, I find it absolutely bizarre that you have over 1800 posts on here and yet you call out Sunspots of all songs for "white guy rhyming".

  10. #4180
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never want to hear Hurt or Head Like A Hole ever again. They are so played.

  11. #4181
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,071
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That vacuum noise always reminded me of a blender or can opener. I like to imagine Trent was blending a smoothie while making this song.
    http://reznormix.ytmnd.com/
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-16-2020 at 02:30 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention it sooner. =P

  12. #4182
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    I never want to hear Hurt or Head Like A Hole ever again. They are so played.
    You're right. Thing is, every NIN show is going to be someone's first, and these songs are expected to be played.

    I'd like it if they rotated them. Every tour, pick a couple of similar songs and switch them out. Instead of HLAH, they could play Less Than one night, then maybe THTF, then back to HLAH, etc. Instead of Hurt, it could be The Great Below, SICNH, Lights In The Sky. The back catalogue is pretty huge. Except... people just want to hear these old songs they've played a thousand times before (HLAH currently has been played 940 times according to setlist.fm). It's fine, but it's boring. Personally, I love HLAH. Hurt is a sing-along... which I don't enjoy all that much.

    Trent has said in the past that he never wants to become a nostalgia act. This is somewhat at odds with how they tour, where the setlist is mostly kept the same (last USA tour notwithstanding). That said, there is a decent mix of old and new in there. I suppose with such a massive list of songs to pull from, some inevitably fall to the back of the pile if they're difficult or not fun to play.

    But fuck it, I don't give a shit if Trent hates The Perfect Drug. I want to hear that (please).

  13. #4183
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Really.

    Regardless of whether it's a figure of speech or some crappy meme, it's toxic, perpetuating our differences while adding nothing to the conversation. Homophobic words like "gay" (and "fag"; see Bill & Ted) were used as derogatory terms to describe anything (or anybody) bad in the '90s (something which continues to this day). That was just a "figure of speech" at the time. Does that mean it was okay? I don't think so.

    Race is irrelevant to Nine Inch Nails (aside from that one line in God Given). Trent could be any race on the planet and it wouldn't matter; the lyrics are universally relateable.

    I honestly don't care whether you like the song or not. This is a thread for controversial opinions, after all. However, I find it absolutely bizarre that you have over 1800 posts on here and yet you call out Sunspots of all songs for "white guy rhyming".
    I added to the conversation, you didn't like it, called me toxic, and proceeded to give me a history lesson about the word gay and fag using Bill & Ted. I'm white, Trent is white, I accurately called it "white guy rhyming". The only person trying to perpetuate our differences is you with your sermon.

    Take some time off the Internet and stop trying to find things to be offended about.

  14. #4184
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I added to the conversation, you didn't like it, called me toxic, and proceeded to give me a history lesson about the word gay and fag using Bill & Ted. I'm white, Trent is white, I accurately called it "white guy rhyming". The only person trying to perpetuate our differences is you with your sermon.

    Take some time off the Internet and stop trying to find things to be offended about.
    I didn't call you toxic, I called the figure of speech toxic.

    It's important to learn from history.

    Please note that you're the one who originally posted the comment (that does perpetuate our differences by forcing the dialectic, by the way!). I merely posted a response questioning why you'd said it.

    Trent's skin colour has nothing to do with anything and I'm still confused why you think this phrase is an accurate way to describe the way that Nine Inch Nails works or the way that... anything works. Would you describe Jane Austen's books as 'white girl writing'? I'm so lost as to why it's necessary to specifically point out the race of the artist. Yes, we know he's white. So what? Beyond being aware of that, the information is meaningless with regards to an understanding of the music. Is there any point in the history of NIN where the music needs to be contextualised by the colour of the artist's skin? No, because it doesn't matter. As I said, it's universal. This is why I stated that the phrase adds nothing to the conversation.

    When I first started listening to the band, I didn't know what Trent looked like or what race he was, only that he was based in America somewhere. Heck, I didn't even know what his speaking voice sounded like, but did that matter? No, because the music was the thing I was interested in. Everything else was irrelevant.

  15. #4185
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,313
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I dislike Sunspots because the lyrics are pretty bad (although the delivery is fine) and because that vaccuuming section just has...nothing going on.

  16. #4186
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I dislike Sunspots because the lyrics are pretty bad (although the delivery is fine) and because that vaccuuming section just has...nothing going on.
    Build and climax, baby. Build and climax.

  17. #4187
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,168
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ok, I'll bite

    the worst songs are:
    Not So Pretty Now
    I Would for You
    Disappointed

  18. #4188
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Trent's skin colour has nothing to do with anything and I'm still confused why you think this phrase is an accurate way to describe the way that Nine Inch Nails works or the way that... anything works. Would you describe Jane Austen's books as 'white girl writing'?
    That Jane Austen thing has actually been a joke in the black comedy circuit for a while.

    But I digress, I posted the comment not expecting the response. While I don't personally see anything wrong with it, I see your point. The Bill & Ted thing irked me because my father is gay. C'est la vie.

  19. #4189
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    526
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I hope I'm not adding more wood to the fire with this, but here's my two cents: "white guy rhyming" has more to do with comedic stereotypes than a racial thing; think Vanilla Ice level cheese. It's no different than "white guy dancing". It's more about illustrative language that paints a picture based on things you've probably seen on film or television (or, obviously, in real life). I get that you're trying to promote progression and positive language, but I think you're reaching a bit with comparing it to using "gay" and "fag" negatively. That's an entirely different thing, and I absolutely agree with that needing to stop. Besides, many white rappers have proven they're not a part of that stereotype (see: Eminem).

    Edit: Eminem is probably an ironic example given his use of "gay" and "fag/faggot" in some of his songs. Sorry.
    Last edited by Triggermine; 02-18-2020 at 02:12 PM.

  20. #4190
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Panel K, Simulation
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I didn't call you toxic, I called the figure of speech toxic.

    It's important to learn from history.

    Please note that you're the one who originally posted the comment (that does perpetuate our differences by forcing the dialectic, by the way!). I merely posted a response questioning why you'd said it.

    Trent's skin colour has nothing to do with anything and I'm still confused why you think this phrase is an accurate way to describe the way that Nine Inch Nails works or the way that... anything works. Would you describe Jane Austen's books as 'white girl writing'? I'm so lost as to why it's necessary to specifically point out the race of the artist. Yes, we know he's white. So what? Beyond being aware of that, the information is meaningless with regards to an understanding of the music. Is there any point in the history of NIN where the music needs to be contextualised by the colour of the artist's skin? No, because it doesn't matter. As I said, it's universal. This is why I stated that the phrase adds nothing to the conversation.

    When I first started listening to the band, I didn't know what Trent looked like or what race he was, only that he was based in America somewhere. Heck, I didn't even know what his speaking voice sounded like, but did that matter? No, because the music was the thing I was interested in. Everything else was irrelevant.
    I like Sunspots, but being offended and calling "white guy rhyming" "toxic" is offensive in itself, because it somehow equates racism against white people as somehow just as bad or damaging as that to people of color. Context is everything.

    White people haven't suffered centuries of laws and policies and social structures designed to destroy and drive out their communities. White kids aren't sitting in cages at the border. White kids aren't shot for wearing a hoodie or just standing around in the wrong place.

    If you feel persecuted as a white person, you ought to ask yourself who is convincing yo oof this truth.

    I think Sunspots is just fine, I think "white guy rhyming" is way too dismissive of a really solid track - but toxic? Offensive? No way, not in this era. No.

    Also, this isn't the first time you have had issues regarding race on ETS.

  21. #4191
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,275
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Fuck y’all, year zero is a fuckin bop.

  22. #4192
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    being offended and calling "white guy rhyming" "toxic" is offensive in itself, because it somehow equates racism against white people as somehow just as bad or damaging as that to people of color. Context is everything.
    You're right. However, prejudice is prejudice. Intolerance against others because of their differences is wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Also, this isn't the first time you have had issues regarding race on ETS.
    Also, note that the other time this happened, you were the one who brought up racism and threw me the 'racist' hot potato when I said I didn't like Old Town Road.

  23. #4193
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,872
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    You're right. However, prejudice is prejudice. Intolerance against others because of their differences is wrong.



    Also, note that the other time this happened, you were the one who brought up racism and threw me the 'racist' hot potato when I said I didn't like Old Town Road.
    you can't be racist against white people because of the inherent dynamics present in our society. you can be prejudiced against them, but NOT racist.

  24. #4194
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,720
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Cleanup on isle controversial!!!

  25. #4195
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    you can't be racist against white people because of the inherent dynamics present in our society. you can be prejudiced against them, but NOT racist.
    Ugh.

    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/racism
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...english/racism
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/racism
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...english/racism
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Cleanup on isle controversial!!!
    Hear, hear!

  26. #4196
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,348
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    When I go onto a Nine Inch Nails forum full of 30+ year olds I really wonder what they all think about race and thankfully this thread satisfies

  27. #4197
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,282
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    When I go onto a Nine Inch Nails forum full of 30+ year olds I really wonder what they all think about race and thankfully this thread satisfies
    Exceptional grasp and understanding displayed! FIVE dictionary definitions linked with no analysis whatsoever!! If you didn't agree with me reading the first one, read the second one, maybe the third one, and the fourth one, by the fifth one you will REALLY REALLY agree!!!

  28. #4198
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,070
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Before I was a fan, I used to call Nine Inch Nails "angry white boy music". I'll still jokingly refer to it as such if people ask me what kind of music I'm into. I even made a remix of Closer called the "Angry White Boy Remix". Not sure what the big deal is or who exactly is getting harmed by saying it. If a white person hears that and gets offended, they need to get over themselves.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 02-19-2020 at 11:46 PM.

  29. #4199
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,385
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Ok, I'll bite

    the worst songs are:
    Not So Pretty Now
    I Would for You
    Disappointed
    While I donít care much for NSPN and Disappointed, I Would For You is probably one of my top three tracks from Skid Marks.

  30. #4200
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    You're right. However, prejudice is prejudice. Intolerance against others because of their differences is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    you can't be racist against white people because of the inherent dynamics present in our society. you can be prejudiced against them, but NOT racist.
    Please note that I specifically used 'prejudice' here rather than 'racism' in relation to intolerance to white people.

    This thread has spiralled out of control. All I did was question why Trent's race is relevant to the art he makes. That's all.

    It's frustrating that I continuously have to defend the points that skin colour doesn't (always) matter in relation to art, and that intolerance against others is wrong.

    Maybe my example of another kind of intolerance was crap. Maybe I'm entirely in the wrong here. I apologise if I've offended anyone here.

    Last edited by katara; 02-20-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions