Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Less of an opinion and more of random and slightly morbid speculation: to what extent was Trent's issues with depression in the 90s exaggerated for press, to capitalize on the unusual trend of extremely depressing music selling lots of units or promote the overall "dark" image of NIN? We have a random blog post from Charlie Clouser wondering if Trent really is the guy from the songs, after working with him. We have Trent speaking about his suicidal thoughts or tendencies, but for awhile there it seemed that everyone in rock was talking about that. And if it was (mostly) real or only slightly exaggerated ... do you think he's really OK now?
    I cannot speculate, but I’ve suffered from depression and severe anxiety, and I can definitely see how on some level that many people - even close to you - can never really realize how bad it is. It’s easy to hide, or fake a good day, etc, even for years at a time.

Maybe there is some insight there we will never know. Since we weren’t there, but from the outside looking in I have no trouble believing he really was that low.

His music still has “troubling” themes, I think he’s a lot better now, he’s said as much, but you always carry those feelings and memories with you, that inner looking narrative might shift but you’ll always have reminders and feelings like you did before. I think he’s fine, but has a lot of the same things floating around in his head, now they’re just from a different perspective
    Last edited by Sandy Phimester; 09-25-2017 at 01:42 PM.