Page 39 of 160 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tracksfade View Post
    oh, also, i don't get why everyone hates on 'everything'. i think it's a great track, particularly, the last minute and a half is classic nin build-up

Because it it has some super generic up tempo electronic drum beat to start the song, followed by Trent attempting to sing "I've surviieeved..." while his voice cracks and can't reach the highs, soon followed by some guitars that sound like a Cure rip off.

The song could've been actually decent if he would've approached it with something off With Teeth- more of a rock arrangement with actual drums and a bit of ferocity to the vocals (hopefully that made some sense).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Because it it has some super generic up tempo electronic drum beat to start the song, followed by Trent attempting to sing "I've surviieeved..." while his voice cracks and can't reach the highs, soon followed by some guitars that sound like a Cure rip off.

The song could've been actually decent if he would've approached it with something off With Teeth- more of a rock arrangement with actual drums and a bit of ferocity to the vocals (hopefully that made some sense).
    Said track has been removed from my iTunes library. The album flows much better without it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost in the machine View Post
    Seems as though Atticus, Trent and Alan are pulling from the same bag of tricks on every record these days. Programming, Delays, Commercial Pop Structures, Auto-Tune!!, etc...
    What tracks on Ghosts I-IV are Auto-Tuned?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

I've always thought this song sounded very much like a song by The Cure -- which I have no problem with, because I like the influence and I like the NIN take on the structure/song arrangement. Although, it really does not fit the mold of the album at all. It seems really out of place and awkward.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    After reading a few interviews from The Fragile era, Everything seems to reflect that false optimism before relapse

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    After reading a few interviews from The Fragile era, Everything seems to reflect that false optimism before relapse
    That's a really great connection to make.

"All the walls begin to dissolve away,
    Feel your hands begin to shake
    And just who you think you used to be
    All begins to bend and break . . .
    But this thing that lives inside of me
    will surely rise and wake
    And his seed that bleeds right through to me
    As it comes to grab and take."

The whole song seems like it's about there being something just beneath the surface that you don't want to acknowledge and you're trying to ignore, and ironically it seemed like a lot of people did ignore it at first.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 03-14-2014 at 05:57 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

The whole song seems like it's about there being something just beneath the surface that you don't want to acknowledge and you're trying to ignore, and ironically it seemed like a lot of people did ignore it at first.
    The last paragraph of this interview in particular is very depressing, from 1999

http://www.theninhotline.net/archive.../xart130.shtml

"I sincerely don't believe that I'm on the verge of another travel down that horrible road, which would prevent me from doing anything. I feel very optimistic right now"
    6 years later With Teeth is released

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The last paragraph of this interview in particular is very depressing, from 1999

http://www.theninhotline.net/archive.../xart130.shtml

"I sincerely don't believe that I'm on the verge of another travel down that horrible road, which would prevent me from doing anything. I feel very optimistic right now"
    6 years later With Teeth is released
    So much of that era sounded like TR in denial, and sad as it is it really makes that album so much stronger to me. Lyrically the whole thing seems so insistent on pushing through, persevering and surviving, and even when Trent wasn't willing to admit that things were so dismal he still managed to do just that. "Everything" definitely seems reminiscent of that frame of mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    What tracks on Ghosts I-IV are Auto-Tuned?
    That's cute but a better argument would have been The Slip... They are quoted as not using it on that record to give it a more "raw" feel.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Speaking of which, i kinda want Trent to alter his vocals in studio more freely, because Autolux remix left, like, real fresh impression

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That's cute but a better argument would have been The Slip... They are quoted as not using it on that record to give it a more "raw" feel.
    I was wondering about that also, but I was trying to be cute, too. I could also ask what NIN album did *not* contain programming. But I think the fact that the examples don't support the claim is clear.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    The setlists have been absolutely terrible since this touring cycle has started.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    The setlists have been absolutely terrible since this touring cycle has started.
    Which touring cycle? Tension?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "The Perfect Drug" sounds... dated! I love the song but the electronics sounds a little to mid-90s drum n bass. Very '96-'98.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's ridiculous NIN is playing HTDA tracks on the current tour. If I wanted to see HTDA live, I'd see HTDA live. They're two separate entities to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    I was wondering about that also, but I was trying to be cute, too. I could also ask what NIN album did *not* contain programming. But I think the fact that the examples don't support the claim is clear.
    To be a bit more clear.. I think most of the work that has come out of the NIN camp since TF has sounded pretty much the same on a production level. Broken, TDS, TF all had their own ground breaking kind of sound. With the use of Dave Grohl "With Teeth" has a sound of it's own. That said, the programming on the album sounds the same as the programming they have been using ever since. They are using drum sounds that just about anybody can pull up on a computer instead of recording new sounds like they used to. The productions all sound generally the same to me (including HTDA) and this comes from a guy who makes records for a living... The Slip has a bit of a live feel but overall doesn't stray that far from the other albums. Ghosts is obviously the odd man out in this context and is one of my favorite NIN albums to date.

My gripe is simply this. They seem to have fallen into a groove and/or template and can't shake it. They aren't generating new/exciting sounds anymore. The records are pretty much all great and still inspire me as a writer and producer. Trent set a bench mark in the early 90s that continued through 2000. It is my Opinion that they haven't reached that benchmark since.

And Auto-Tune is so incredibly stupid. I can't stand listening to records and hearing it all over the lead and harmonies. It takes the life out of the performance for me..

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    "The Perfect Drug" sounds... dated! I love the song but the electronics sounds a little to mid-90s drum n bass. Very '96-'98.
    I wish I had the press release for TPD handy. It sounds even more dated. "The world's first ever industrial drum n' bass song!" Some ridiculous shit like that.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trazcure View Post
    I think it's ridiculous NIN is playing HTDA tracks on the current tour. If I wanted to see HTDA live, I'd see HTDA live. They're two separate entities to me.
    And you feel the same for TRAR scores?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    To be a bit more clear..
    Thanks for explaining. Makes sense.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trazcure View Post
    If it became a regular thing for every show, it would be a little much, but bear in mind they're doing this in countries that HTDA will most likely never tour in. A lot of NIN fans have at least heard of HTDA and there are certainly fans of them in places other than the US, so they're doing just a couple of songs out of the set as a way of semi-making up for the lack of touring. No real harm done.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 03-15-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The HTDA tracks sound better as instrumentals, and I prefer early HTDA's sound over the actual released cd (the one with "On the Wing"), and "Speaking in Tongues" should've been on there.

And they spent most of that new CD trying to be Fleetwood Mac...which no one can do, but Fleetwood Mac.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think that Deep from the With_Teeth rehearsals is the best version of the song. I guess I just like it because of how fucking raw Aaron's guitar was. In fact, I would love to see Aaron to do something for NIN in the future, sadly I don't see that happening since his mental health is fucked.
    Last edited by GlitchyFlame; 03-15-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I really, really love Running and consider it one of my favorites from HM. It was an absolute thrill to see live, and had some of the best visuals out of all of Tension. The amount of layers to the song, the callback to Hurt ("I had a friend, I think who knew me; I couldn't seem to make him stay" connecting to "My sweetest friend; Everyone I know goes away in the end"), the way the vocals are layered and the constant sense of movement as if the song itself is running, it's absolutely fantastic and the Cold Cave remix isn't half bad, either. I remember this being one of the least loved songs on the album, and I just don't get what's not to like about it.

Oh, and as long as I'm mentioning songs I think get underrated or overlooked, then I've got to mention Underneath It All. One of the defining tracks from the Fragile to me. I wouldn't want to imagine the album without it, and it would've served as a completely fine closing track if Ripe (With Decay) hadn't made the cut.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really, really love Running and consider it one of my favorites from HM. It was an absolute thrill to see live, and had some of the best visuals out of all of Tension. The amount of layers to the song, the callback to Hurt ("I had a friend, I think who knew me; I couldn't seem to make him stay" connecting to "My sweetest friend; Everyone I know goes away in the end"), the way the vocals are layered and the constant sense of movement as if the song itself is running, it's absolutely fantastic and the Cold Cave remix isn't half bad, either. I remember this being one of the least loved songs on the album, and I just don't get what's not to like about it.

Oh, and as long as I'm mentioning songs I think get underrated or overlooked, then I've got to mention Underneath It All. One of the defining tracks from the Fragile to me. I wouldn't want to imagine the album without it, and it would've served as a completely fine closing track if Ripe (With Decay) hadn't made the cut.

These two tracks are probably in my personal top 5!

I really think they should play Underneath it All live with this incarnation of the band.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Slip Rehearsals are far better than the finished album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tracksfade View Post
    i've never questioned an album's tracklist order until hesitation marks. i think the flow is really off with too many jarring cuts from song to song. that said, the flow of the last four tracks is stellar.

oh, also, i don't get why everyone hates on 'everything'. i think it's a great track, particularly, the last minute and a half is classic nin build-up

Along with just kind of being a subpar song on its own, its awful in context. As you say with the flow of the album, that song cuts the album in half.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

I always saw Everything as a song about addiction, and didn't understand why people called it the happy song. It's pretty obvious there's nothing actually happy about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    The Slip Rehearsals are far better than the finished album.
    Where can I find the rehearsals?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Where can I find the rehearsals?
    Disc 2 of The Slip. Or NIN's official youtube channel.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    The real sad thing is that Trent is still so insecure, that he pussies out from playing Everthing, because it had been criticized by the more vocal people (I won't even say "fans", because people who want Trent to be on drugs again are a fucking disgrace to the NIN community, though I know it's not only them who dislike that particular song). That guy recorded Everything and made the decision to include it in his newest album without having any pressure to do so. He obviously thinks it's decent otherwise he would've left it out. This guy has overcome so many things during his career, yet he's afraid to play his own song.

What the fuck?