Page 123 of 160 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Nope and i also think JLYI is overrated
    Now that's just straight blasphemous! haha!

Keep in mind that Complication is the only main song i have such a strong dislike of, I'm not even sure why really, something about it bugs me...that whole BUWUAWUAUWUWAUMWA synth riff just pisses me off for no reason, something about it makes me think "god this sound so 1999"...
    My best friend would totally agree with you on this (he's not a fan of NIN).

Speaking of fragile era stuff i don't like, that Porters remix of TDTWWA is god awful.
    That we can definitely agree on!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Not sure how you can think it's great and also not see what's so special about it, but okay...

Like, compared to the other songs on The Fragile, to me, IMO, it just doesn't really stand out to me. I think its a good song, but compared to Somewhat Damaged, TDTWWA, La Mer, The Great Below, 10 Miles High, The New Flesh, I'm Looking Forward To Joining You Finally and Ripe (with Decay).....I just dont see it. I'm sure there are plenty of songs that you love and you think are special that other people on here dont think are. Hurt is one of my favorite songs and people are tired of it. Im not, i still get all of its full emotional attachment from it everytime i hear it.

Like I said, I dont think the song is bad, i'd give like a 7.5 out of 10 so i still think its good. I could honestly give you my opinion on all the songs on the main albums and ep's if i really wanted too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I cant stand the mixing on the trilogy, I don't care if it had a purpose, i still think its horrible.
    Certainly with Bad Witch I find Shit Mirror and Ahead of Ourselves difficult to listen to because the live versions eclipse them so much, the Madrid festival video stream is my go to for the run of shit mirror, aoo and gbdtd, just amazing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Shit Mirror and Ahead Of Our Selves remind me of old Atari Teenage Riot... That was my go to music to piss people off with.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Perhaps this thread could be the place to continue this discussion of this particular opinion. I thought it would fit in here, because there's nothing more controversial then speaking against The Downward Spiral and The Fragile on ETS, even if one isn't necessarily shitting all over those albums altogether. Hell, it doesn't have to be on ETS either. Telling that to NIN fans in general will have them look at you like, "What? Seriously?". Me included, even as somebody that tries his best too hear absolute disagreements out.

Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Like the guy in the previous few videos. No explanation as to why he didn't like it, just that it was "art trash".
    It was hard me to listen to. Like, I understand if it wasn't his thing and all, but trash? He also considered The Fragile to be forgettable, and I understand he meant to just him, but it just didn't click with me at all. He seemed to really love Pretty Hate Machine though, and as great as that album is, there are just so many amazingly awesome moments on TDS and TF. I know it was just for the reaction, but will also admit that NIN is more for a long-term experience with headphones. At least to me, headphones are indeed a must for NIN.

I know I'm also biased in my own ways too, as TF was my first favorite NIN album ever. When I listened to NIN for the very first time, as much as I instantly loved PHM, Broken and TDS, it was TF I kept playing on constantly on repeat.

Ah, but as a NIN fan, deeming TDS and TF as trash in any capacity, even in a facetious and playful manner is still a smack on the face to me. The Fragile was also anything but forgettable. Say what you will about The Fragile, but forgettable, it is so not.

To help put it into context for those that see this post and are unaware, or have just never even heard of YouYouYou!!! on YouTube before, here it is. Granted, I'll still admit that I can accept that it's also just not his cup of tea/bag, and that at least he tried. But gave up.

Hell, it's even mild compared to a podcast called "Nine Inch Nails sucks." by Your Favorite Band Sucks, but then again, that video just shit on Nine Inch Nails altogether. If I were to post it anywhere on ETS, I think I'd rather post it here above any other thread, since all of them are obviously meant to be pro-NIN anyway. Perhaps this place can be a place to discuss and share anti-NIN opinions from external sources such as YouTube channels, podcasts, online articles and other Internet forums in general as well, considering how you sometimes just can't get any more controversial than anti-territory.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-04-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: To help put the post in context and post another very controversial NIN opinion from the podcast Your Favorite Band Sucks.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Im sick of hearing Somewhat Damaged live, 4 of the 5 times ive seen NIN play its been performed. Twice as an opener.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Im sick of hearing Somewhat Damaged live, 4 of the 5 times ive seen NIN play its been performed. Twice as an opener.
    Oooooooh, now that's a controversial one!

I'd take SD over Hurt any day. Nowhere near being sick of hearing that song live (I think my count is 3 of 6 for SD. 6/6 for Hurt.)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Here is how 9/10 posts on this thread go:
    1. I hate this NIN thing!
    2. What?! How could you hate the NIN thing, I love the NIN thing.
    3. I’m not saying you shouldn’t love the NIN thing, I just don’t like this particular NIN thing.
    4. Here is why you should like the NIN thing/ or /here is a worse NIN thing.
    5. Repeat.

Not saying stop. Just saying it’s always funny how it goes a similar way each time.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Here is how 9/10 posts on this thread go:
    1. I hate this NIN thing!
    2. What?! How could you hate the NIN thing, I love the NIN thing.
    3. I’m not saying you shouldn’t love the NIN thing, I just don’t like this particular NIN thing.
    4. Here is why you should like the NIN thing/ or /here is a worse NIN thing.
    5. Repeat.

Not saying stop. Just saying it’s always funny how it goes a similar way each time.
    That's literally every conversation on a message board.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Blasphemy.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post

Hell, it's even mild compared to a podcast called "Nine Inch Nails sucks." by Your Favorite Band Sucks, but then again, that video just shit on Nine Inch Nails altogether. If I were to post it anywhere on ETS, I think I'd rather post it here above any other thread, since all of them are obviously mean to be pro-NIN anyway. Perhaps this place can be a place to discuss and share anti-NIN opinions from external sources such as YouTube channels, podcasts, online articles and other Internet forums in general as well, considering how you sometimes just can't get any more controversial than anti-territory.

I would love to know what bands these guys actually like because looking at their channel they hate every popular/successful band from the last 40 years. It seems like it's a lot easier to tear down and shit on bands instead of opening yourself up and revealing what you like.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well, in their defense, about 90 percent of the subject matter in this podcast is not fantasy, it's mostly quite realistic factual description of how nine inch nails started, how it progressed and how it endures to this day.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Ouch, that hurt. XD

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This is the hot take to end all hot takes. Somewhat Damaged is arguably the GOAT NIN song and is my go to that I show people that have never heard of the band. I love it as an opener, but I will agree at Night 2 in Irving, i was realllyyyyyyy hoping for Now I'm Nothing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    This is the hot take to end all hot takes. Somewhat Damaged is arguably the GOAT NIN song and is my go to that I show people that have never heard of the band. I love it as an opener, but I will agree at Night 2 in Irving, i was realllyyyyyyy hoping for Now I'm Nothing.
    It's a song I will never get sick of hearing live but I like it a bit better as the transition between slower and heavier songs than as an opener, but I'll take either

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    It's a song I will never get sick of hearing live but I like it a bit better as the transition between slower and heavier songs than as an opener, but I'll take either
    I think as an opener, it's the perfect one for a club show. Saw them open with it at Webster Hall last year and it was the first time I saw it as the opener. I lost my shit completely. But I agree with it being better as a transition, especially at bigger shows like Tension and Made in America in 2013.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think as an opener, it's the perfect one for a club show. Saw them open with it at Webster Hall last year and it was the first time I saw it as the opener. I lost my shit completely. But I agree with it being better as a transition, especially at bigger shows like Tension and Made in America in 2013.
    Original version or 2006+ "tick" version, I think it's the perfect NIN opener--and with Robin being back in the band and playing the song properly, it's even better (sorry, Aaron. Your version was terrible). The build is slow and perfect and (for me at least) gets my energy up through the roof. The lyrics are so satisfyingly angry to scream along with and the music matches intensity with them. If Somewhat Damaged was the only song on a 21-song set, I'd be ecstatic.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Original version or 2006+ "tick" version, I think it's the perfect NIN opener--and with Robin being back in the band and playing the song properly, it's even better (sorry, Aaron. Your version was terrible). The build is slow and perfect and (for me at least) gets my energy up through the roof. The lyrics are so satisfyingly angry to scream along with and the music matches intensity with them. If Somewhat Damaged was the only song on a 21-song set, I'd be ecstatic.
    Tick version? Like the ticking intro they've been using since 2006 right? So good. I would be interested to see if they can do the album version live now though.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tick version? Like the ticking intro they've been using since 2006 right? So good. I would be interested to see if they can do the album version live now though.
    Right. I don't know how else to refer to the current version.

I would LOVE to hear the original version again in 2018. I miss the layering and slow build. I repeat the December 1, 1999 FM version a few times a day to get my fix.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I would LOVE to hear the original version again in 2018. I miss the layering and slow build. I repeat the December 1, 1999 FM version a few times a day to get my fix.
    Amen to this...I made the same point here last year post Webster Hall:

Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    Last night's show reminded me of an old lament: I love Somewhat Damaged on record and as performed , but the ticking synth intro that has (exclusively?) been employed since WT really doesn't do it for me. The former's progressive layering of guitar, then drums, then the massive synth line has a power that dissipates to a surprising degree in the latter.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    This is the hot take to end all hot takes. Somewhat Damaged is arguably the GOAT NIN song and is my go to that I show people that have never heard of the band. I love it as an opener...
    Yes! I never get tired of hearing it. That song sets up the mood of the show so damn well.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    Amen to this...I made the same point here last year post Webster Hall:
    I love that video despite the fact it's got elements of the studio version dubbed over the December 1, 1999 performance. The video portion is great...Trent's energy, especially at the end, is amazing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Well, in their defense, about 90 percent of the subject matter in this podcast is not fantasy, it's mostly quite realistic factual description of how nine inch nails started, how it progressed and how it endures to this day.
    Let's not kid ourselves, it's purely entertainment. Not much critical value.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I love that video despite the fact it's got elements of the studio version dubbed over the December 1, 1999 performance.
    Perhaps. But to be fair, most (if not all of) AATCHB is overdubbed.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Nope and i also think JLYI is overrated
    Oh and i still can't stand Complication
    Why am I not surprised?
    Not sure how you can think it's great and also not see what's so special about it, but okay...
    I don't know why I still find this rather amusing, but I still do, and this is coming from somebody that is of the opinion that Just Like You Imagined and Complication are among some of the best moments on The Fragile, ever. I'm sure it's just how it was worded, along with the outcomes.

It wasn't until I saw this post that helped me understand it a bit more, as @Dryalex12 used to hate NIN. (I'm not picking on you, but it really helped me finally understand. I already accepted you not being a fan of those songs though, but that post just really made it all click for me. That also seems like an ultimate NIN confession post as well. If anything, you're still one of my favorite posters to follow, so I always try my best to see where you're coming from.)

I'm also absolutely not trying to say/imply that would be your end-all and be-all reasons to not like songs that I like either, but if I used to hate a band or just not like a band, I could see how that would actually increase my chances of not being into songs/albums/videos that the majority of the fan-base actually likes or even adores.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...978#post440978
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-09-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just like you imagined and Complication owe much of the respect/disrespect to their placement directly after The fragile and Starfuckers inc. - the centerpieces to both sides of the record. I have zero doubt that people will deny that connection, but that's what this topic is for anyway...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This probably isn't controversial for fans but I wish Trent would release more videos, I just don't personally believe every video has to make some massive artistic statement. Some of my most memorable videos from my youth are Duran Duran ones or Ultravox' Loves great adventure. They weren't making some big political (or artistic) statement.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @WorzelG - I totally see what mean there. Perhaps simplicity and/or minimalism are the words? As much as I love the visuals and special effects on Closer and The Perfect Drug, I'm also able to actually sit through the entirety of Gave Up (The non-Broken version.), March Of The Pigs (The version that ended up on Closure.), The Hand That Feeds and the first Came Back Haunted.

I suppose those videos can speak for themselves in regards to what you just said. Oh, and now that you just reminded me, if only Every Day Is Exactly The Same and Everything saw the light of day. If only. Anyway, I'm in complete agreement with you all the way on that.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Now here's somebody that totally loathes and abhors Bad Witch, Add Violence and Not The Actual Events, and goes as far as to say that Nine Inch Nails went downhill since With Teeth, all while defending Quantum550. I'll understand if you're also wondering if Mr Kray is also Quantum550, as do I.

I also thought I'd post this before 2018 ends, since this is still the year of the whole "Quantum550: suck my entire cock." incident, and it turns out that this video was actually uploaded on October 18, 2018. He also disabled the comments on his video, and it has more dislikes than likes so far. And yes, aside from "nowhere", I figured this type of video would at the very least belong here in terms of "archival purposes/reasons", since the very tone and words used in this video would stir controversy anyway while potentially derailing the Bad Witch thread and even the NIN Spotting 2018 thread.

Anyway, I obviously disagree, considering how I love With Teeth, Year Zero, Hesitation Marks and Add Violence, but I'm always interested in ETS's general reactions/responses/opinions to such things.

And assuming that Mr Kray is actually Quantum550, or just knows about ETS, I could see why he also disabled the comments. (I'm also not necessarily implying that's the absolute only reason for disabling the comments, but it's still very much possible.)

This also seems to be the only video Mr Kray uploaded on his YouTube channel so far. I almost forgot to mention that as well.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-15-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I can't be arsed to look at some dude's rant video when he shoots the damn thing in portrait mode.