Page 150 of 160 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 148 149 150 151 152 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I kinda get where the romantic notion of Trent writing *everything* comes from though...
    For me the iconic Just Like You Imagined rehearsal on youtube illustrated that the song was Trent's vision...and he had to guide everyone else through it. I realize that other players may have contributed, but that rehearsal made it feel like every note was 100% TR.

I don't presume to know how much others contributed to any album. I've always believed there was always some amount of collaboration...
    But, I'll say that post-Year Zero, things have felt a little less....fulfilling as albums for me. I enjoyed the Slip/ Not the Actual Events/ Add Violence. The rest have consistently fallen flat in the vein of "I want a nin album with vocals that takes me on a journey."**

** Yes I'm being grumpy/ cranky. Come at me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would like to hear Everything live in a post-COVID world.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enola View Post
    I am still AMAZED at how divisive that song is. I've loved it since it first came out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I am still AMAZED at how divisive that song is. I've loved it since it first came out.
    Yeah I was pretty surprised by it when it came out. It wasn't my favourite track but I didn't hate it with the same passion as some people seem to. But this year has changed the meaning of that song for me a bit. I imagine it could be pretty cathartic screaming the lyrics with the band and everyone else after all this is over. And can you imagine how much a live band version would kick ass!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yeah I was pretty surprised by it when it came out. It wasn't my favourite track but I didn't hate it with the same passion as some people seem to. But this year has changed the meaning of that song for me a bit. I imagine it could be pretty cathartic screaming the lyrics with the band and everyone else after all this is over. And can you imagine how much a live band version would kick ass!
    Christ yes.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    It's divisive because it's a Dinosaur Jr. song haha

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Not sure if that's a good idea based on this quote from Tront:

"At first listen, it might seem to be in praise of life but it's supposed to come off as an arrogant, 'Fuck you. I've survived!' It also gets less triumphant and more reflective and melancholy towards the end."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    It's divisive because it's a Dinosaur Jr. song haha
    Of all the bands I could imagine it being compared to, that's not one of them.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Of all the bands I could imagine it being compared to, that's not one of them.
    I mean, to me it sounds like Trent was listening to Just Like Heaven on repeat for 2 weeks before he wrote it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I mean, to me it sounds like Trent was listening to Just Like Heaven on repeat for 2 weeks before he wrote it.
    Yeah, by The Cure, one of the bands I would compare it to.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    The Head on the Door was my favorite album for so long, and I see that influence more than than Wish. Or hell, Wild Mood Swings begs more to the melodies of Everything IMO.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    The Head on the Door was my favorite album for so long, and I see that influence more than than Wish. Or hell, Wild Mood Swings begs more to the melodies of Everything IMO.
    "sinking" is such an underrated Cure song. one of my favorite album-closing tracks of all time. honestly, every song on The Head On The Door is perfect except "six different ways" which just feels slightly out of place on the album.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    'Everything' sounds like Blink 182 or Sum 41 circa 2003 teenybopper Warped Tour trash. It sounds like a song that belongs on the Not Another Teen Movie soundtrack. It could be the theme song for that show iCarly...Trent's vocal on that song is probably the worst vocal take he has ever put to tape (aside from the godawful Bowie impression on God Break Down The Door)....Its to the NIN discography what Bowie's 'Dancing In The Streets' is to his discography.....A horrible mistake that should be deleted from future pressings.....What blows my mind is a perfectionist like Trent can shelve countless Fragile era songs and shelve the entire Tapeworm and Bleedthrough projects because he felt they weren't good enough.......yet he deemed 'Everything' worthy of release

As for THOTD....How 'The Exploding Boy' did not make that album yet something like 'Screw' did is beyond me.
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 11-20-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    'Everything' sounds like Blink 182 or Sum 41 circa 2003 teenybopper Warped Tour trash.
    I don't want to say this is straight up wrong, but...as someone who used to listen to those bands, this is straight up wrong.

Also, I don't think Trent was trying to do Bowie on GBDTD. If anything, he might have been channeling him on Over And Out, but I'd hardly say it's awful.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-20-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    'Everything' sounds like Blink 182 or Sum 41 circa 2003 teenybopper Warped Tour trash. It sounds like a song that belongs on the Not Another Teen Movie soundtrack. It could be the theme song for that show iCarly...Trent's vocal on that song is probably the worst vocal take he has ever put to tape (aside from the godawful Bowie impression on God Break Down The Door)....Its to the NIN discography what Bowie's 'Dancing In The Streets' is to his discography.....A horrible mistake that should be deleted from future pressings.....What blows my mind is a perfectionist like Trent can shelve countless Fragile era songs and shelve the entire Tapeworm and Bleedthrough projects because he felt they weren't good enough.......yet he deemed 'Everything' worthy of release
    My take on Everything is one of those blips that every artist makes at some point. They branch out, and either it's lauded or demonized by the rabid fans. My first reaction was "dear god what is this?" I listened a few times, and fine. Sure whatever. I get where he was going with it. Yes. Do I want to listen to it? No. Do I think he should be crucified for it? No.
    As for the vocals on Over & Out...I have a similar take. I get, don't care for it, but I'm not going to piss in someone's cornflakes over it.

What is interesting to me about both songs, and why I don't care for them, is that it feels like the influence has drowned out the NIN. If I wanted to listen to a song like Everything, there's plenty of Cure to scratch that itch. Similar to Over & Out. I'm not saying I want to pigeon-hole NIN. Not at all...there's plenty of new avenues that TR & AR/ NIN have gone down that have been wonderful. But occasionally there's the derivative fluke that I just ignore.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

As for THOTD....How 'The Exploding Boy' did not make that album yet something like 'Screw' did is beyond me.
    ready for a hot take? as much as i love "the exploding boy", alkaline trio's version is better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I think RS claimed he originally wanted 'The Exploding Boy' to be the lead single but when 'In Between Days' ended up becoming the lead single, 'the exploding boy' got dropped from the album entirely because he thought it was too similar

I don't even mind the music for 'Everything' that much. Its that vocal take which sounds like American Idol which is cringe as fuck......He should have screamed and shouted the vocals which would have played into the dichotomy of the lyrics and music being more upbeat.

And Dinosaur Jr is one of my favorite bands.....Parente, pleeeeeeeeease do not insult the great J Mascis by comparing 'Everything' to Dino Jr. The only comparison I would make is the Dino Jr song 'Take a Run at the Sun' (regarded as J's worst song ever by many including Lou Barlow)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Its that vocal take which sounds like American Idol which is cringe as fuck...
    I dare you to show us an American Idol contestant who sounds anything like how Trent sounds on that track. Seriously, YouTube that shit and find it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I dare you to show us an American Idol contestant who sounds anything like how Trent sounds on that track. Seriously, YouTube that shit and find it.

You disagreed with something I said????? AS IFFFFFFF

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    You disagreed with something I said????? AS IFFFFFFF
    If you're going to make a claim like that, back it up with some examples. Otherwise, you just sound like you're pulling comparisons out of your ass because you don't like the song.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I could not disagree more strongly. Everything reminds me of Joy Division and the Cure and so many early influences and I wish he would do a whole album that explores this more.

Secondly, God Break Down the Door is AMAZING and the "Bowie Impression" is his own and it's moving. It's one of the best NIN tracks. Like top 20 for me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Mentioning tapeworm is like this board’s special version of Godwin’s law. The minute it’s brought up, you’ve lost, discussion over.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    The Tapeworm stuff has already been released if you’re open-minded and know where to look..

Maybe some of us just enjoy bringing it up because it burns a certain sector’s biscuits every time it’s brought up, for virtually no discernible reason at all..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    The Tapeworm stuff has already been released if you’re open-minded and know where to look..

Maybe some of us just enjoy bringing it up because it burns a certain sector’s biscuits every time it’s brought up, for virtually no discernible reason at all..

Wait? What?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Probably referring to the NiggyTardust instrumentals that are floating around, some of which aren't even related to Tapeworm.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Hope this isn't controversial but just the thought of Mumford & Sons doing "Hurt" makes me physically ill.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

TR played “Screw” a lot in the live pre-show music. He seems to dig that one a lot.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    TR played “Screw” a lot in the live pre-show music. He seems to dig that one a lot.

Its a fine song but feels out of place on THOTD. Woulda fit better as a B side since a lot of the weirder songs from that era got relegated to B side status

I would bet at least a couple instrumentals on Deviations are Tapeworm songs

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Probably referring to the NiggyTardust instrumentals that are floating around, some of which aren't even related to Tapeworm.
    Wrong.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Wrong.
    Prove it.

Like I said in another thread...

Also, it should be noted that not every track on NiggyTardust was formed out of Trent outtakes. Some of the tracks were ones that Saul already had and that were later tweaked by Trent & Atticus, and some were Frankenstein creations made out of different pieces from different people.
    "Raw" and "Scared Money" were Saul tracks (although Trent did contribute a wind sound to "Raw", but I highly doubt he snagged that from a Tapeworm session when he could just make that himself). "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was a new arrangement by Trent. That's at least three tracks that have no basis in Trent outtakes.

And if you're not referring to the NiggyTardust instrumentals, I'd love to know where you found this stash of Tapeworm outtakes.

I would bet at least a couple instrumentals on Deviations are Tapeworm songs
    Based on what?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-29-2020 at 04:32 PM.