Page 59 of 160 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 159 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    If they performed the Autolux version (minus the crazy voice pitching), it would be fantastic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Trent's onstage moves were stolen from Gary Numan. That is all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Not enough drums means not enough actual instruments? How do you feel about The Slip or Year Zero?
    Right, not enough actual instruments.

On the albums in question here, I find The Slip definitely more in the vein of what I enjoy with production and instrument choice (fuzzy guitars, acoustic drums, etc.). However, the content and actual songwriting is a little lacking and not as fleshed out as some of the previous albums. Feels kind of thrown together, to me at least.

Year Zero: this particular album is actually very focused conceptually, and I feel that it thematically fits the mold of an electronic sound base. So, to an extent, I grant it a handicap on use of actual instruments. With that said, it sounds like it may have been idealized with real instruments in mind during the songwriting stage--and actually features some real instruments on select tracks... whereas Hesitation Marks sounds like it was written entirely with a drum machine using minimal settings.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    If they performed the Autolux version (minus the crazy voice pitching), it would be fantastic.
    Exactly! This remix trumps the album version so much, in my opinion. The acoustic drums drive the groove so much more than the electro-beat on the album track.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think if he opened the song in a much lower and more subdued vocal octave it would work really well live.
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Or drag it out, make the whole song ugly and slow.
    Yup, make it unrecognizable at first, until it dawns on people and somebody yells "Oh my God it's the rainbows song LOL" (yes, actually says "LOL") and he gets beaten to death by the people around him.

Then we can get serious about enjoying it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Controversial NIN Opinion:

Further Down the Spiral
    is pretty awesome (I like Things Falling Apart better)...however, with that said, it seems kind of heavy on remixes of "Mr. Self Destruct" (which is one of my favorite all-time NIN tunes)....I honestly can't find a terribly noticeable difference between "Self Destruction, Final" being a combination of the first two ("The Art of Self Destruction, Part I" and "Self Destruction, Part II").

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinata89 View Post

Further Down the Spiral
    is pretty awesome (I like Things Falling Apart better)...however, with that said, it seems kind of heavy on remixes of "Mr. Self Destruct" (which is one of my favorite all-time NIN tunes)....I honestly can't find a terribly noticeable difference between "Self Destruction, Final" being a combination of the first two ("The Art of Self Destruction, Part I" and "Self Destruction, Part II").
    oooh. saying that there are a lot of remixes of Mr. Self Destruct on FDTS? very controversial. careful with that opinion or you might get banned. sorry, just joking. just doesn't sound very controversial.

personally, i don't exactly mind having a lot of similar remixes, but i won't exactly choose to listen to something like the HLAH single over and over. *but* i totally did do that when i was in high school.

EDIT: I just listened to Part One, Part Two, and Final in a row. Actually, I feel like there's definitely enough variety to make it worth listening to. I don't know about Part Three, though. Not really sure why it was included instead of Part Two.
    Last edited by m15a; 09-10-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinata89 View Post

Further Down the Spiral
    I feel you, though I guess I found the Self Destruct remixes more interesting than the Starfuckers remixes on TFA. (ignoring Clouser's.)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I feel you, though I guess I found the Self Destruct remixes more interesting than the Starfuckers remixes on TFA. (ignoring Clouser's.)
    They just shouldn't have make so many of them. There is a Part One, and then there is Part Two which sounds pretty much the same as Part Three which sounds pretty much the same as Final (more or less of course). Too much repetition in the latter three.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Nah, I like the deconstructed Mr Self Destruct(s) better than the original.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    oooh. saying that there are a lot of remixes of Mr. Self Destruct on FDTS? very controversial. careful with that opinion or you might get banned. sorry, just joking. just doesn't sound very controversial.

personally, i don't exactly mind having a lot of similar remixes, but i won't exactly choose to listen to something like the HLAH single over and over. *but* i totally did do that when i was in high school.

EDIT: I just listened to Part One, Part Two, and Final in a row. Actually, I feel like there's definitely enough variety to make it worth listening to. I don't know about Part Three, though. Not really sure why it was included instead of Part Two.
    Sorry it wasn't controversial enough...

I never said I didn't like the remixes...I really like them quite a great deal, actually. I've been in the air all day for work and Further Down the Spiral is all I've listened to...awesome album. And I agree, Things Falling Apart has a lot of less likable "Starfuckers, Inc." remixes. I guess I'm just impartial to The Fragile era, so those remixes are more interesting to me.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Regarding "Everything" played live in recent posts: give it the "hard rock" treatment ala WT (drums instead of shit generic beat like tony pointed out already with HM, etc.) and it might be a decent tune in concert, and maybe have had Robin do his own thing with the guitar parts along with Trent having his "angry voice" at the beginning rather than barking it out and his voice crack right away from a note he can't hit.

Just my opinion, but the song broken down isn't horrible- was just executed/produced poorly/whatever in the studio and ended up in the middle of HM making fans think "WTF is this?"

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I think fans who refer to releases by Halo number rather than title are being deliberately elitist dicks (not aimed at anyone in this forum) (yet)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    You're lucky, trust me. Halo this, halo that is nothing compared to reading nin album titles spelled in another language! Спиралька, Фрагила, Госты...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The Sam Fog vs. Carlos D mix of Everyday Is Exactly the Same makes the original look poor in comparison. The El-P mix of Only from the same single does the same, too. But seriously, that Everyday remix is absolutely stunning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Regarding "Everything" played live in recent posts: give it the "hard rock" treatment ala WT (drums instead of shit generic beat like tony pointed out already with HM, etc.) and it might be a decent tune in concert, and maybe have had Robin do his own thing with the guitar parts along with Trent having his "angry voice" at the beginning rather than barking it out and his voice crack right away from a note he can't hit.

Just my opinion, but the song broken down isn't horrible- was just executed/produced poorly/whatever in the studio and ended up in the middle of HM making fans think "WTF is this?"
    Agreed! Everything live has potential! Not that I ever think it's going to happen. Que sera, sera.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I think fans who refer to releases by Halo number rather than title are being deliberately elitist dicks (not aimed at anyone in this forum) (yet)
    There are people who do that?

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    But seriously, that Everyday remix is absolutely stunning.
    Realizing I still haven't heard that one. YouTube to the rescue …

Eh. The vocal manipulations are a bit much.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i didnt realize how "thick" and "deep" HM was until i listened to it really loud on a good car stereo.
    you might try that.
    Oh, I thought you said this in the Random NIN Thoughts thread. Anyway, yeah, I certainly had a lot more pleasure listening to Hesitation Marks on better headphones this time around. I'm not a headphone expert by any means, but it sounds pretty sweet on Sades. "Thick" and "deep" is right.

http://sades.us/

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The Sam Fog vs. Carlos D mix of Everyday Is Exactly the Same makes the original look poor in comparison. The El-P mix of Only from the same single does the same, too. But seriously, that Everyday remix is absolutely stunning.
    In that case, I thought you'd love this.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Not specifically Nine Inch Nails, but related nonetheless.

I have been of the opinion for quite a while now that the Quake Soundtrack was done by not only Trent Reznor, but Peter Christopherson as well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have been of the opinion for quite a while now that the Quake Soundtrack was done by not only Trent Reznor, but Peter Christopherson as well.
    so TR made music with one of his heroes/influences/friends and didn't credit him? just felt like being a dick?

actually more like: it takes Sleazy to push TR into making incredibly dark ambient music? ("Corona Radiata," among others, would have words with thee.)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    so TR made music with one of his heroes/influences/friends and didn't credit him? just felt like being a dick?

actually more like: it takes Sleazy to push TR into making incredibly dark ambient music? ("Corona Radiata," among others, would have words with thee.)
    Whoa there, hold on. No malicious intent was intended.

Peter Christopherson may have been simply lumped in with the "Nine Inch Nails" portion of the Quake credits. Perhaps Sleazy didn't want to be credited directly. I don't know, and I don't want you to think I take this as fact—just a feeling.

I find the second part of that to be offensive to TR and myself. Corona Radiata has been my favorite song on The Slip since my first full listen. TGWTDT is my favorite piece of work since The Fragile. TR has absolutely no problems putting on his big boy pants and making some unsettling, even beautiful, dark music.

Again, I never meant to imply there was anything "screwy" going on.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    PC was never in NIN, his only major NIN contribution was the Broken Movie, for which he got the credit, why on Earth would he not get it for Quake? And what makes you think that anyway?

Also, there's the fact this is in the game credits:
    Titles of songs or themes (C) 1996 TVT/Interscope Records.
    Written by Trent Reznor (C) 1996 Leaving Hope/TVT Music. ASCAP
    Special thanks to Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails for sound effects and music.

Sleazy wasn't signed to either, he was BMI iirc, not ASCAP. And his name wasn't spelt "R-E-Z-N-O-R"

Is this the new Josh Wink. Because I hope so.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Welcome Oblivion > HM > The Slip

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This question sort of feels like it's a bit controversial for me to ask, but did anybody else feel like Nine Inch Nails could've toured until winter of 1996 after The Downward Spiral came out and until winter of 2001 after The Fragile came out?

(And considering how there wasn't as much going on between The Fragile and With Teeth, it seems like that tour could've easily gone until late 2002, or mid to late 2003. However, I could also see how Trent's struggles and problems outside of music could've also interfered and prevented that from ever happening since even he admitted that his mind was on anything but music just right after he finished touring for The Fragile in mid 2000.)

I understand if it was just impossible considering what has happened behind the scenes and all, but looking back, it sort of looked feasible at the time. I'm also guessing that's why it's possible that there was a run from 2005-2009 to make up for lost time. (Not that being the only reason, as albums were put out at a much faster than usual, but I could see that being one of them.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-25-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    Welcome Oblivion > HM > The Slip
    I'd just rearrange the first two, HM > Welcome Oblivion > The Slip, although I love them all (although the Slip has most filler or songs I don't care for)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    This question sort of feels like it's a bit controversial for me to ask, but did anybody else feel like Nine Inch Nails could've toured until winter of 1996 after The Downward Spiral came out and until winter of 2001 after The Fragile came out?

(And considering how there wasn't as much going on between The Fragile and With Teeth, it seems like that tour could've easily gone until late 2002, or mid to late 2003. However, I could also see how Trent's struggles and problems outside of music could've also interfered and prevented that from ever happening since even he admitted that his mind was on anything but music just right after he finished touring for The Fragile in mid 2000.)

I understand if it was just impossible considering what has happened behind the scenes and all, but looking back, it sort of looked feasible at the time. I'm also guessing that's why it's possible that there was a run from 2005-2009 to make up for lost time. (Not that being the only reason, as albums were put out at a much faster than usual, but I could see that being one of them.)
    Eh? That would mean touring for a full 3 years for The Downward Spiral wouldn't it which would have been crazy? And considering he overdosed and pulled out of a London show I was due to go to (The Lost Weekend) in 2000 I was very surprised he actually played a few European festivals after that.

Anyway I think the making up for lost time is more about not doing enough albums, I think a year of touring is as much as any band needs to do, before going back into the studio and recording new material

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quake soundtrack does sound like Coil, sounds a lot like coils later ambient work. in 1995 when Trent was recording Quake , Jhonn and Peter were living with Trent in New Orleans working on what would become The New Backwards (which didnt get released till 2008). they may have had minor input or influence.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Eh? That would mean touring for a full 3 years for The Downward Spiral wouldn't it which would have been crazy?
    It would seem to be almost 3 years by at least a 3 to 4 month difference.

And considering he overdosed and pulled out of a London show I was due to go to (The Lost Weekend) in 2000 I was very surprised he actually played a few European festivals after that.
    That's what I've also figured, which also helped me understand why that tour seemed to be the shortest tour he ever did.

Anyway I think the making up for lost time is more about not doing enough albums, I think a year of touring is as much as any band needs to do, before going back into the studio and recording new material
    I must've been mistaken then, as I thought that tours lasted around 2-3 years if the gaps between albums were around the 4+ years mark. I've also thought about that as well.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

Because drugs and alcohol and falling out with everyone like a moody little bitch.