Page 90 of 120 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 3580

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

  1. #2671
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pretty.hate.machine View Post
    I actually love Deep, and the video. Trent all gooey, yum.
    No need to be a controversial opinion ... Deep is one of my favorite Nine Inch Nails song. It's a shame it doesn't seem to get as much live love as it deserves.

  2. #2672
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,006
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    No need to be a controversial opinion ... Deep is one of my favorite Nine Inch Nails song. It's a shame it doesn't seem to get as much live love as it deserves.
    Deep is amazing. It's like the anti-tension.

  3. #2673
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,568
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Deep is amazing. It's like the anti-tension.
    wh...what?

  4. #2674
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,276
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wh...what?
    Tony continues to think that the coolest live show I have ever seen was a colossal failure

  5. #2675
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    - The Fragile, like pretty much every double album, would be better as a single album.
    - Hesitation Marks is excellent and is unfairly maligned. I suspect it's one of those albums that's due for reassessment in the future.
    - Everything ain't bad, it just feels out of place on HM. It would have been better as a single or B-side
    - The Slip is a great little album. Not NIN's best, but for a free "Thanks" it's goddamn awesome.
    - NIN is... not a great live band. Maybe that's too, strong. They're just a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong they perform well, the visual elements are great, and the songs sound amazing and intense, but there's just no real connection with the audience and very little deviation from the studio versions of the songs. When I see a band live I want to hear something I would never hear at home. Like alternative versions or variations of an existing tracks. (I might be alone in this though, please don't throw things at me!)
    - I like the remix albums, particularly Things Fall Apart and Year Zero Remixed.
    - Came Back Haunted is the best NIN music video by far.

  6. #2676
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Deep is amazing. It's like the anti-tension.
    Loloololol. I feel like the end result wasn't that bad ... but STL totally got jipped in regards to the song selection.

    Though the Tension version of Even Deeper I hope I never hear again.

  7. #2677
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    7,568
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Though the Tension version of Even Deeper I hope I never hear again.
    whoa, what? why? that vocal solo is AMAZING

  8. #2678
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,441
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthejimbob View Post
    Don't get me wrong they perform well, the visual elements are great, and the songs sound amazing and intense, but there's just no real connection with the audience and very little deviation from the studio versions of the songs. When I see a band live I want to hear something I would never hear at home. Like alternative versions or variations of an existing tracks. (I might be alone in this though, please don't throw things at me!)
    I won't throw anything at you, but I have to wonder what you mean by alt/variations since the live arrangements change with practically every tour...

  9. #2679
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    whoa, what? why? that vocal solo is AMAZING
    It ain't for me honestly. It takes away from the ambience of that portion and I get easily distracted by it and borderline laugh at it. I get why some people dig it ... but boy, it's rough for me.

  10. #2680
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm probably not explaining myself very well but that wasn't my experience when I saw them in Boston. Maybe I didn't notice the variations but they just sounded like really slick live versions of the album tracks. There also weren't any unreleased songs played. Once again I had a great time and I was glad to finally see them live after waiting for so many years, but it felt more like a very well rehearsed theatrical production than a raw live show.

    Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe my expectations were too high? I was expecting a wild transcendent experience.
    Last edited by Jamesthejimbob; 07-28-2017 at 01:53 PM.

  11. #2681
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Safe Distance
    Posts
    3,619
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I fully understand that, as most people on ETS do. However if someone gives the whole NIN discography to the average person without knowing the background to it they really don't care what the intent was- only the final product.

    Personal opinion- if TS was the first NIN album an average music aficionado had with the band they would be left scratching their head wondering what all the fuss was about.
    This is also why I for quite some time have always felt and thought that Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth are usually the best options whenever it comes to recommending Nine Inch Nails albums to new or casual listeners. (Since those are technically the greatest hits as far as peaks and being in NIN's prime go.)

    However, I still could definitely understand and accept how you sometimes just never know and that it's still possible for new fans and casual listeners to end up enjoying anything after With Teeth.

    I like to also think of it as an imaginary box set whenever I've gotten those albums as birthday and Christmas presents, as if it were Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile and With Teeth as a bonus album.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-28-2017 at 11:05 PM.

  12. #2682
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,006
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    This year has been the worst year to be a NIN fan since the beginning of the band. Minus the music.

  13. #2683
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    mushroom festival in hell.
    Posts
    2,081
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    No need to be a controversial opinion ... Deep is one of my favorite Nine Inch Nails song. It's a shame it doesn't seem to get as much live love as it deserves.
    So, do people actually dislike "Deep"? Or do people just act like it's bad, or act like other people dislike it, just because Trent has expressed dissatisfaction for it? Because it's a great song and I think if people weren't aware of Trent's opinion or the fact that it's on a movie soundtrack, they would think it fits right in NIN's discography. It could slide right into The Fragile and feel totally natural and fitting. Plus it sounds like a sequel/sibling/spin-off to "The Perfect Drug" lyrically and thematically. I could understand the opinion if it obviously stuck out or was noticeably different, but I honestly just think people feel the need to play off of what Trent's said about it.

  14. #2684
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthejimbob View Post
    - The Fragile, like pretty much every double album, would be better as a single album.
    No. That may be the case for some double albums, but The Fragile and Mellon Collie are two of my favorite albums of all time and both earn their extended length and put it to good use. Too many amazing songs would be left on the cutting room floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthejimbob View Post
    - Hesitation Marks is excellent and is unfairly maligned. I suspect it's one of those albums that's due for reassessment in the future.
    Yes, I'm with you on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthejimbob View Post
    - Everything ain't bad, it just feels out of place on HM. It would have been better as a single or B-side
    Agreed, although it's flow in context of the album has grown on me over time. It was a jarring/unexpected first listen, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthejimbob View Post
    - The Slip is a great little album. Not NIN's best, but for a free "Thanks" it's goddamn awesome.
    Trent said in an interview at one point that it was originally intended to be an EP, but they wound up with an album's worth of material. Sometimes I wonder if an EP length would have worked better for it, but at the same time, I'll take as much NIN as I can get as often as I can rather than complain about a song or two that I'm not as fond of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthejimbob View Post
    - NIN is... not a great live band. Maybe that's too, strong. They're just a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong they perform well, the visual elements are great, and the songs sound amazing and intense, but there's just no real connection with the audience and very little deviation from the studio versions of the songs. When I see a band live I want to hear something I would never hear at home. Like alternative versions or variations of an existing tracks. (I might be alone in this though, please don't throw things at me!)
    WHAT. Have you been to many of their shows? Were you ever on the floor? Gotta say I very strongly disagree on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthejimbob View Post
    - I like the remix albums, particularly Things Fall Apart and Year Zero Remixed.
    Yeah, they're great. Not as great as Further Down the Spiral (particularly v2). I can't get into Fixed though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesthejimbob View Post
    - Came Back Haunted is the best NIN music video by far.
    FALSE. The Perfect Drug is the best NIN video by far. Followed closely by Closer. I wish Trent would hire Mark Romanek again...

  15. #2685
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    So, do people actually dislike "Deep"? Or do people just act like it's bad, or act like other people dislike it, just because Trent has expressed dissatisfaction for it? Because it's a great song and I think if people weren't aware of Trent's opinion or the fact that it's on a movie soundtrack, they would think it fits right in NIN's discography. It could slide right into The Fragile and feel totally natural and fitting. Plus it sounds like a sequel/sibling/spin-off to "The Perfect Drug" lyrically and thematically. I could understand the opinion if it obviously stuck out or was noticeably different, but I honestly just think people feel the need to play off of what Trent's said about it.

    I think it mostly has to do with the fact that it had the misfortune of coming out after a mostly flawless string of the band's best material and by comparison seemed a little on the mediocre side at the time. To be fair, a LOT of songs would be a tad disappointing after PHM, Broken, TDS, Dead Souls, Burn, The Perfect Drug, and The Fragile. The video was polarizing as well (not terrible, but not great either). It also appeared on the soundtrack for the Tomb Raider movie, which was not very good at all.

  16. #2686
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    This year has been the worst year to be a NIN fan since the beginning of the band. Minus the music.

    What makes you say that? We have a new EP and another due by the end of the year (hopefully), TR is popping up left and right in interviews, and there are a handful of live shows (along with the knowledge that a full tour is coming next year). It's a hell of a lot better than 2003, 2004, 2010, and 2015 when NOTHING happened.

  17. #2687
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,006
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    What makes you say that? We have a new EP and another due by the end of the year (hopefully), TR is popping up left and right in interviews, and there are a handful of live shows (along with the knowledge that a full tour is coming next year). It's a hell of a lot better than 2003, 2004, 2010, and 2015 when NOTHING happened.
    Product roll outs, distribution nightmares, the actual products, the setlists of the shoes, the visuals of the shows, the zero trust in the nin.com store anymore, etc.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 07-29-2017 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Haha shoes

  18. #2688
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    So, do people actually dislike "Deep"? Or do people just act like it's bad, or act like other people dislike it, just because Trent has expressed dissatisfaction for it? Because it's a great song and I think if people weren't aware of Trent's opinion or the fact that it's on a movie soundtrack, they would think it fits right in NIN's discography. It could slide right into The Fragile and feel totally natural and fitting. Plus it sounds like a sequel/sibling/spin-off to "The Perfect Drug" lyrically and thematically.

    You could replace "Where Is Everybody?" with "Deep" and it would fit extremely well. Similar groove and he practically used the exact same guitar/bass sound on both songs. It's like he recorded the instrumental parts on the same day without changing some of his gear up.

    No one can seriously tell me that "Where Is Everybody?" is really that much better than "Deep."

  19. #2689
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Product roll outs, distribution nightmares, the actual products, the setlists of the shoes, the visuals of the shows, the zero trust in the nin.com store anymore, etc.
    I get the feeling most of that has to do with your disappointment in Deviations 1 (much of that is understandable), but you haven't gotten any enjoyment out of the new EP? As for the setlists, they're playing festivals, so you can't expect them to play deep cuts that most of the audience won't know or care about. They ARE playing 4 new songs plus their David Bowie cover/remix that we've never seen before, which I for one am excited to see.

  20. #2690
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,097
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I was surprised to see how much everyone seem to hate Not So Pretty Now.

    A fucking B-side track that screams With Teeth and has the lyrical depths of No You Don't. It's a fun little track and I wouldn't even be mad if he still pulled it out live as it has a groove to it, though there are much better live tracks for that now (Discipline, Less Than).


    And Deep is fucking great and I can't understand the hate. Yes-yes, I read it many times that the video (which of course, I've seen) sucks, but that is like the lamest reason to dislike a song. Especially in hindsight, when we got such classic videos as the one for Came Back Haunted.

  21. #2691
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    530
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    This year has been the worst year to be a NIN fan since the beginning of the band. Minus the music.
    It was 2002 or 2003 for me, no doubt.

  22. #2692
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Even if I get the point, it feels sorta stupid to make that statement and take the music out of the equation. Sure, cause first and foremost, I was always a NIN fan because of the t-shirts.

  23. #2693
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post

    Agreed, although it's flow in context of the album has grown on me over time. It was a jarring/unexpected first listen, though.
    Interesting point. I tend to skip it as I find it's placement really jarring, but maybe I should just embrace it.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Trent said in an interview at one point that it was originally intended to be an EP, but they wound up with an album's worth of material. Sometimes I wonder if an EP length would have worked better for it, but at the same time, I'll take as much NIN as I can get as often as I can rather than complain about a song or two that I'm not as fond of.
    I'm glad he didn't shorten it. It's perfect the way it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post

    WHAT. Have you been to many of their shows? Were you ever on the floor? Gotta say I very strongly disagree on this one.
    Yes and yes. I saw them in Boston during the TENSION tour. I knew this point would be contentious! I'm not really explaining myself well with this one and I tried to clarify in a later post. It's not a question of ability or skill or anything like that. Thing is, I grew up in Africa so the possibility of seeing NIN live was always pretty much unattainable for me, but It was a little dream of mine that eventually I would be able to see them live. I think as a result I built it up in my mind into something that it could never possibly be.

    Beyond that though, I still stand by my belief that a live show should be or have something special that you wouldn't hear anywhere else. That wasn't my experience. They came on, played their set and left. I don't think Trent said a damn thing the whole time apart from "hello". There were no unique tracks or versions. It just felt perfunctory. That being said, I wouldn't trade the experience of seeing them live for anything and I will see them again if the opportunity presents itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Yeah, they're great. Not as great as Further Down the Spiral (particularly v2). I can't get into Fixed though.
    Yeah, same. Fixed is a brick wall for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    FALSE. The Perfect Drug is the best NIN video by far. Followed closely by Closer. I wish Trent would hire Mark Romanek again...
    Hah, I do like the Perfect Drug video, but I'm a Lynch fanboy.

  24. #2694
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    This year has been the worst year to be a NIN fan since the beginning of the band. Minus the music.
    I'd argue that 1994-1999 were the worst years. It was a goddamn wasteland.

  25. #2695
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    No one can seriously tell me that "Where Is Everybody?" is really that much better than "Deep."
    Hi. I'm here to prove you wrong.

  26. #2696
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Santa Mira, California
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I have an extremely controversial opinion and it's that I don't really dislike any NIN songs. Infact, most of my favorite bands I find hard to dislike. I don't find myself to be a very hateful individual as it is so I guess that's the reason? Who knows.

  27. #2697
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Why should anybody truly hate 'deep". It just is that type of more straight to the point "clean" rock which NIN also used for a lot of other songs like: Burn, Into the void, Gave up, The hand that feeds.

    It fits straight into their discography.
    Last edited by Detunez; 12-14-2017 at 02:42 PM.

  28. #2698
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Deep is fine, I think if it had been on a nin album or released on its own it would have been embraced different. As i recall, the late 90s early 2000s was the hate the "mainstream" and anything that smells like it era. The tomb raider soundtrack i think grazed "Mainstream" a lil too close, and the love mtv gave the video didn't help either. Wrong place wrong time. Thats how i remember it, but im old and senile now in my mid 30s, so .

  29. #2699
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,530
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Put me in the camp that doesn't get the hate for Deep. That main synth line gets me every single time.

  30. #2700
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Put me in the camp that doesn't get the hate for Deep. That main synth line gets me every single time.

    I think the hate for Deep is mostly the video. And a few corny lyrics. But from most of what I've seen, the musical elements of the song are definitely not hated.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions