Page 81 of 160 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Fixed is the best remix (E.P./album) released by Trent followed by Further Down The Spiral (U.K version) and then Things Falling apart.
    All the other remix albums suck, especially The Perfect Drug (for not including the original song that was remixed in the first place).
    The majority of the other remixed songs are awesome mainly: Stone Cold Crazy, Democracy, Up, and Who was in my Room Las Night.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    To me the Tension Tour (2013) remains the best musical and visual thing i have ever seen in terms of Nine Inch Nails. If i had a choice, then this would have been the only concert i would have loved to have seen in real life... sadly i only can experience it trough youtube.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Controversial with casual NIN fans: With Teeth is a genius album, in and out of context of TR's personal scope.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Controversial with casual NIN fans: With Teeth is a genius album, in and out of context of TR's personal scope.
    I agree with you, casual fans are fine and all but they may lack the sophistication to appreciate what makes that album great.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Year Zero is an awesome concept, but the album itself doesn't pay off. It sounds like one train of thought, not just lyrically, but musically as well. I know it's a favorite for many, but I really don't get what people see in it. I get bored about half way in. I much prefer Year Zero Remixed, it has more fun and variety.

It irks me when people look down on Pretty Hate Machine because it sounds "dated". Let's face it, all music will sound dated eventually. It sounds dated in the same sort of way that Dark Side of the Moon does. You can tell it's a product of it's time, but it was so far ahead of everything else. Very few albums from the 80s sounded that good.

The first few tracks on The Slip, are easily Trent's weakest works.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if PHM is dated so much as, whisper it, imperfectly produced. It's very sparse and lacking in texture for something that's lyrically and vocally so raw and aggressive.

That's why it felt like such a wasted opportunity that they didn't do more with the remaster a few years ago - some of those tracks are dying for more guitars, a dirtier mix, more differentiation from phrase to phrase, more pronounced melody or just more stuff going on. The songs sound amazing live, having been heavily revised from their album performances.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    ... The songs sound amazing live, having been heavily revised from their album performances.
    Heavily revised? Any particular example besides Sin (Fragility 2.0 with theremin)?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Heavily revised? Any particular example besides Sin (Fragility 2.0 with theremin)?
    Sanctified 2013/14

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Sanctified 2013/14
    Hmmm, that one didn't jump to mind 'cause it didn't seem to fit the above description ("...dying for more guitars, a dirtier mix, more differentiation from phrase to phrase...")

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I mean... I just started listing the changes, but there's rather a lot of them. The songs have additional or more prominent guitar sections, they have more metal-style guitar effects, more elements during a lot of sections, backing vocals, restructured openings and finales, physical drums with fills and cymbals...

HM-tour Sanctified is obviously the most heavily changed PHM song, but pretty much all the others that still get played are far more intense, and it's not just because of the live setting.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 11-12-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Oh come on Ben. Live guitars and live drums on HLAH, Terrible Lie, ending of The Only Time beat the living shit out of the studio versions.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Oh, these. With HLAH and TL we're facing a paradox: they were played so often that made them harder to judge.
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 11-12-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think the Modwheelmood remix of TGD is cool, but overall overrated by many of the community. It mainly smoothed off the edges of the original thus steering a strange glitchy song into melodramatic guitar territory (which there are enough of on this earth tbh).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am kind of dissapointed by the current loss of a NiN legacy, the Remix website has dissapeared since the website update.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Running from Hesitation Marks is really good. As is Dissapointed. Satellite is probably the worst track, it's not bad but its first half isn't all that great.

Pretty Hate Machine is the weakest album in NIN's discography, it has great tracks, but not for the most part. Most tracks to me are like Sanctified, kind of forgettable. I really do not like Something I Can Never Have version of PHM, probably because "Still" version beats it in every regard. It's also the album which dated poorly.

Hesitation Marks is mellow, but its concepts and ideals are very dark and it isn't an upward spiral or an happy album.

I don't think Atticus sticking around is bad.

The remix of The Great Destroyer isn't better than the original.

With Teeth is underrated and its hate is unwaranted.

Year Zero is mostly just good, nothing special, that is until the ending hits, the last three tracks is where it reaches "amazing" status.

I am really really really happy new NIN work wasn't Ghosts 2

I am really really happy new NIN work wasn't Year Zero 2.

I want to hear "Everything" live one day.

Apart from instrumentals "Wish" is the most boring track on Broken, I adore everything else. Last, Happiness in Slavery and Gave Up are amazing.

But...The version of Wish on Fixed is much better.

Gave Up on Fixed straight out sucks though.

Year Zero show would probably be a disaster or mediocre, I cannot say for certain but when I heard about it I got a really bad feeling. I can just sorta imagine bad actors and low budget being put into it for some reason. Maybe It'd work better as a movie, but I am still all around worried about that. But if there is an album I'd like to see on TV or something like that It'd probably be The Downward Spiral. Not because it is my most favorite album but because it is the most cohesive when it comes to its story.

I love instrumental openings, every single one of them, I love Pinion, 999,999, HYPERPOWER and The Eater Of Dreams.

I wish Hesitation Marks and The Slip sounded more like their "live" versions. Especially when we talk about vocal performances.

..Expect for the backsingers they used on The Tension Tour, most of the time it just didn't work in my opinion, it made the songs sound really cheesy, their vocals didn't fit Trent's voice nor NIN's instrumentals most of the time. In some tracks it worked but in stuff like "The Big Come Down, In Two" it sucked real bad. I am really happy to see Trent trying something new with his material, but this just didn't work.

Right Where It Belongs is better than Right Where It Belongs V2, like, a lot. Because of that piano at the end which slowly dies out, that is one of the most beatiful moments in NIN history, perfectly ending the album. It almost sounds uplifting at the last moment, almost like a moment of peace and happiness for that moment, no, I think "acceptance" would be much better, yes.

Not really all that happy that the remastered and Deviations stuff is exclusive on vinyl.

Quite a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by HWB; 01-05-2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added the vinyl thing

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^^ I basically agree with 90% of what you said, don't worry, you're not that controversial to me!

My own: "TFOUAD" should have had vocals. I prefer the CD order of TF to the vinyl, even though I love "TNF" and "10 Miles High".
    Last edited by joplinpicasso; 01-05-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ^^^

I like CD version more than vinyl's just because Ripe (With Decay) is far better than Ripe.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Just recently I was thinking about whether anyone would name PHM their favorite NIN record. I personally dig it, but outdated is a good word to describe it. The live performances of those songs, however, are killer. We need more Sin in our lives by daddy Trent.

Dissapointed is fucking shit though, come on man.

And yeah, Everything is cool imo. Shitting on it feels like when I run into a meme-circle on reddit. You know, those comment chains when people say the same goddamn memes and puns which were not funny years ago to begin with and you just roll your eyes, while every asshole upvotes it, because... [i stop here because this rant would end badly ] Anyway, HM has 99 problems, and Everything is hardly its biggest one. I would For You is probably the most homosexual thing I ever heard from NIN, and that says a lot, when Trent sang stuff like put things into him, and offering blowjobs.

I don't hate HM, but god, I would throw a chair, IWFY and Dissapointed at everyone who circlejerks about Everything.

Also, I think the backup singers on TBC are great. Like, on many songs they are just okay, while on some songs (cough, Even Deeper, cough) they are being way too artsy, but TBC is like a perfect mix. Yeah, I like my TBC raw and angry, but I think it was still a cool iteration of that song. They almost sound provoking to Trent on that song. The guy is singing about being sucked into this big hole of misery, and these chicks just happily go "oooh-oooh, back to the bottooOOoooommmM" funky style.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Just recently I was thinking about whether anyone would name PHM their favorite NIN record. I personally dig it, but outdated is a good word to describe it.
    Head Like A Hole is one hell of an album opener, closing in on 30 years later and probably still the best nin album opener to date. PHM is an overall great album, but the engineering/mastering (or whatever you call it) has that 80s tinny sound to it.

This makes me wonder, for those dissenters of the newer nin material, those who say stuff like YZ or HM isn’t real nin because real nin is about industrial artrock, introflection, and anger. What did those early 90s fans of PHM think when they first heard the complete paradigm shift that was Broken? Did a portion of them think, “what the hell is this metal driven nightmare fuel? This isn’t nin, nin is angsty synthpop.”

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I mean, there's pretty much no same NIN. TS, WT and now NTAE (+ Ghosts) are different enough as well. I don't think you can make a safe NIN record or EP recommendation based on just knowing that someone loved [insert one NIN EP/LP here].

And to me, it's magical.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Somewhat Damaged is the best opener. I will fight for that one.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Studio or live? I much prefer the studio version to how it's usually played live. That guitar opening in the studio version is just too awesome.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Studio or live? I much prefer the studio version to how it's usually played live. That guitar opening in the studio version is just too awesome.
    Both times I got to see Somewhat Damaged live, it was in the middle of a set. I would love to see it open a show. But in terms of album openers, it's the best.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Literally nobody in the world disagrees with this, right...?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Someone will nitpick on the use of "best" eventually, someone else will argue back because the counter-example was stupid and lame, everyone will review each track individually according to a thousand metrics until someone mentions pinion, then every member of the forum will pile up on that idiot and get him banned.
    And rightly so, since the best opener is obviously A Violet Fluid.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Doesn't beat the long Pinion intro that merges into Terrible Lie, from the Self Destruct tour. That's the best.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just recently I was thinking about whether anyone would name PHM their favorite NIN record. I personally dig it, but outdated is a good word to describe it. The live performances of those songs, however, are killer. We need more Sin in our lives by daddy Trent.

And yeah, Everything is cool imo. Shitting on it feels like when I run into a meme-circle on reddit. You know, those comment chains when people say the same goddamn memes and puns which were not funny years ago to begin with and you just roll your eyes, while every asshole upvotes it, because... [i stop here because this rant would end badly ] Anyway, HM has 99 problems, and Everything is hardly its biggest one. I would For You is probably the most homosexual thing I ever heard from NIN, and that says a lot, when Trent sang stuff like put things into him, and offering blowjobs.

I don't hate HM, but god, I would throw a chair, IWFY and Dissapointed at everyone who circlejerks about Everything.

Also, I think the backup singers on TBC are great. Like, on many songs they are just okay, while on some songs (cough, Even Deeper, cough) they are being way too artsy, but TBC is like a perfect mix. Yeah, I like my TBC raw and angry, but I think it was still a cool iteration of that song. They almost sound provoking to Trent on that song. The guy is singing about being sucked into this big hole of misery, and these chicks just happily go "oooh-oooh, back to the bottooOOoooommmM" funky style.
    I agree with pretty much everything except IWFY. I love that song. It was the first one on HM that I fell in love with, followed by In Two and VMOE. I just wish he didn't fade out the yell at the end of second chorus. But the synths during the chorus, how they get more intense each section....very cool. Ends very similar to You Know what you are. Great song. Top 4 or 5 from the album.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I sort of consider The Way Out is Through as an opener. That's my number 1 followed by MSD then SD. Mr SD is an amazing way to start an album.

Sorry for double post.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I love I Would For You, it's beatiful and incredible vocal performance by Trent. Dissapointed would be much better if it was shorter, its instrumental ending goes on for too long and that is my real problem with it, its lenght has no justification, I love it otherwise though

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I think Mr. Self Destruct is better. Both very strong openings though.