Page 79 of 145 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 4326

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    I think being able to sincerely express emotions with your singing makes one a better singerv than someone who can just hit notes accurately. Same with overly fancy or clever writing, it isn't as important compared to expressing emotions that the audience can relate to in some way.
    It's the difference between being a technical singer and someone with a pleasant voice. Bob Dylan is a kinda awful singer technically, for example, but his voice carries it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Bob Dylan is just a bad singer in every sense of the word. One of the most infuriating singers of all time for me.

Either way though. I couldn't be a fan of a song just because of the music if the voice sucks to me or if I felt the lyrics were mostly groan worthy. Can't imagine why you'd consider yourself a fan if you feel that way.
    Last edited by Wolfkiller; 01-09-2016 at 05:17 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    That's exactly why I'm not as big of a NIN fan as I once was. I adore the music and loathe most of the lyrics. After Trent released those instrimentals via Itunes I spent hours trying to make a configuration of TF which kept the best instrumentals and lost the worst lyrics. It was a hard task.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    What I love about Trent is he doesn't try to put on some singy songy voice. He just expresses himself and lets it rip. It's truly his own voice: raw and unfiltered and he just lets it all out. That's why no one will ever sound like NIN (even though lame bands like linkin park try). NIN is trent and trent is NIN because of his willingness to be true to himself in every aspect.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post
    What I love about Trent is he doesn't try to put on some singy songy voice. He just expresses himself and lets it rip. It's truly his own voice: raw and unfiltered and he just lets it all out. That's why no one will ever sound like NIN (even though lame bands like linkin park try). NIN is trent and trent is NIN because of his willingness to be true to himself in every aspect.
    I don't think "controversial" means what you think it means...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Was "And All That Could Have Been" a response to "Hey Jupiter?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Are you basing that question on lyrics or the distorted beat?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Was "And All That Could Have Been" a response to "Hey Jupiter?
    If you mean lyrically, that is beyond far-fetched.

I bet TR was thinking of that beat (from the Dakota version, but it's actually from "Sugar") when he was programming swooshies in "Zero-Sum," though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Ghosts I-IV tease/release was more epic than that of Year Zero.

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Ghosts I-IV tease/release was more epic than that of Year Zero.
    10/10 controversial post would heavily disagree with again.

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    I consider Broken and The Slip EPs in my head despite them both being albums.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i have no clue what NIN's last album is called. i think i heard one song my friend played for me when the album came out. which was when? summer of 2014? i don't even fucking know. shame on me. i don't even have the ethic to find out how good it may or may not be. may echoingthesound have mercy on my soul.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    i have no clue what NIN's last album is called. i think i heard one song my friend played for me when the album came out. which was when? summer of 2014? i don't even fucking know. shame on me. i don't even have the ethic to find out how good it may or may not be. may echoingthesound have mercy on my soul.
    Why is that...?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i don't know. TR is a powerhouse, and i do have confidence in his composing. maybe timing / association? i wonder if i still relate sometimes.

i've been through the same thoughts with marilyn manson.

or musically, i'm a neophobic?
    Last edited by ldopa; 01-19-2016 at 11:34 PM. Reason: afterthoughts

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    i have no clue what NIN's last album is called...
    Clue #1: two words

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i love guessing games, but i really don't have one leg to stand on when it comes to this.
    i'm not a "googler" who pretended to earn the knowledge for myself then post something ultra poignant and act like it's my own original thoughts / opinions.
    Last edited by ldopa; 01-20-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I consider Broken and The Slip EPs in my head despite them both being albums.
    Broken is only an EP if you don't include Suck and Physical - and The Slip? Come on man, that's as long as any standard vinyl album from over the years
    Hesitation Marks

It's really not hard to google btw. Also, worth listening to. And Marilyn Manson's was the best album by him in over a decade, The Pale Emperor.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^
    Don't agree on Manson. EMDM was better in my book, but that's the subject for a different topic.

I just wonder what's next, are we gonna have ETS users who will ask 'what's a Nine Inch Nails?'

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    i'm not a "googler" who pretended to earn the knowledge for myself then post something ultra poignant and act like it's my own original thoughts / opinions.
    That didn't make any sense to me in that context.
    Or in any context actually. One could argue that just because the means to gather knowledge have changed doesn't make them any more meaningless/ful than when you had to read a book, get educated, or just gather info from hearsay.
    You care about the info or you don't. If you do then go get it, if you don't then don't "brag" about your ignorance, either way it's all from your own volition ?

And, even if I get that you would join a fan forum while not really caring for the object of the fandom itself, I don't really understand why you would drag your boots to the NIN part you don't care for and post about not knowing the name of an album you can't be bothered to listen to or to even google ? That's not controversial, that's just pointless, for everyone involved ?

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Broken is only an EP if you don't include Suck and Physical - and The Slip? Come on man, that's as long as any standard vinyl album from over the years
    I know, but I've always considered them EPs because of how small they are in general. Broken has 6 non-instrumental tracks and the slip has 7. (In before ghosts)

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    I know, but I've always considered them EPs because of how small they are in general. Broken has 6 non-instrumental tracks and the slip has 7. (In before ghosts)
    why don't instrumental tracks "count" in your opinion? trent's instrumentals are some of my favorite songs he's done. i could understand saying pinion & help me i'm in hell (and 999,999) are all relatively short and therefore potentially less impactful, but them being instrumental shouldn't matter.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ^^
    Don't agree on Manson. EMDM was better in my book, but that's the subject for a different topic.

I just wonder what's next, are we gonna have ETS users who will ask 'what's a Nine Inch Nails?'
    I may or may not own a t shirt that says "what's a nin", because people legit asked (spoiler: I do)
    Instrumentals are songs too!

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    @sheepdean and @eversonpoe
    i know I know! I didn't say there was any logic in those feelings, instrumentals absolutely DO count as songs.

Idk, I can't rationalize my feelings lol

Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    As sheepdean said, it's Hesitation Marks. Aside from simply being Nine Inch Nails, I think you might find great appeal in Hesitation Marks if Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth are also among your favorite albums. This is not only just me, but I have noticed that it usually seems to hit the spot for huge fans of those albums in Echoing the Sound, NIN.com and real life.

i love guessing games, but i really don't have one leg to stand on when it comes to this.
    Aside from the regular Wikipedia page, The Nine Inch Nails Wiki is also my place to visit whenever I'm searching for general information about NIN. I think that you also might end up liking it if you give it a try.

http://www.nin.wiki/

http://www.nin.wiki/Hesitation_Marks
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-20-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    ... I think you might find great appeal in Hesitation Marks if Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth are also among your favorite albums. This is not only just me, but I have noticed that it usually seems to hit the spot for huge fans of those albums in real life and Echoing the Sound...
    WT and PHM are my all time top nin records, but i'd never associate H.M. with those. Year Zero is the closest one.

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    As sheepdean said, it's Hesitation Marks. Aside from simply being Nine Inch Nails, I think you might find great appeal in Hesitation Marks if Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth are also among your favorite albums
    How dare you associate that masterpiece with Hesitation Marks.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I know, but I've always considered them EPs because of how small they are in general.
    The Slip is over forty minutes in length. How is that small?

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't more or less most albums about forty minutes before CDs came in and suddenly people developed a sense of "Well it can hold about eighty minutes, so we should make about eighty minutes"? That seems to have died off a lot (and in my own albeit limited experience it seems like a lot of albums from 90's and early 2000's are vastly longer than those from most other time periods).

The Slip's totally an album. In Rainbows by Radiohead is only 42 minutes and no one seems to argue about that. Ziggy Stardust is 38 minutes and is considered to be one of the all-time best albums by anyone ever. I don't really get it. Personally I kind of hate how many things are ridiculously fucking long, often unnecessarily so. I'd take a great 40 minute album where every song lands and is fantastic over something twice that length with a ton of filler or throwaway material that just blends into beige stretches of same-y songs.

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Still both EPs in my mental nin catalog even though they're not logical thoughts in any way, shape or form.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    That didn't make any sense to me in that context.
    Or in any context actually. One could argue that just because the means to gather knowledge have changed doesn't make them any more meaningless/ful than when you had to read a book, get educated, or just gather info from hearsay.
    You care about the info or you don't. If you do then go get it, if you don't then don't "brag" about your ignorance, either way it's all from your own volition ?

And, even if I get that you would join a fan forum while not really caring for the object of the fandom itself, I don't really understand why you would drag your boots to the NIN part you don't care for and post about not knowing the name of an album you can't be bothered to listen to or to even google ? That's not controversial, that's just pointless, for everyone involved ?
    it didn't make sense to you because you focused on my bottom sentence instead of the sentence i typed on top.
    i went to the NIN portion of the forum because i wanted to. i don't understand why you dragged your boots to my post only to pick it apart and talk shit about the portion that isn't even on topic. just fucking ignore me. you're annoying.