Page 77 of 160 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Also my point wasn't really that piracy is immoral, it was more about not acting allmighty about it.
    I'm very sorry for taking up to 3 months and counting just to respond, but as somebody that has thought about piracy a lot, it still occurred to me that wanting everything for free at all times can very well count as a form of selfishness and greed, and therefore being hypocritical and ironic in some ways. This was certainly covered multiple times already as it was deemed to be a form of entitlement as well. I suppose it just struck a nerve with me again, because this point seems to be incessantly forgotten, ignored, avoided and overlooked, even by myself as I was only reminded of this very point a few days ago, which compelled me to seek out this particular part of your post and respond to it.

I'm certainly not above enjoying free stuff either, and will admit that I'm also selfish and greedy in some ways too. Like the words hypocrite and liar, greed or greedy sometimes seems like something to be very cautious of when using it to the point the finger, because sometimes it's like you might as well point to yourself. It also reminded me of that, and anybody and everybody can be selfish in their own ways at any given time. It also really is no wonder why greedy and selfish can be very potent fighting words.

I understand how tired this topic is, but I suppose it still interests me because I still like to collect physical media. I still stand behind what I said though, and also still respect Trent Reznor's desire to make money. And not that it should be all about the money either, but for money not to have anything to do with it, that means that nothing of theirs' should've ever been sold in the first place, nor should it have ever been a career path. Granted, of course, I'm also still completely against the over idea and action of overcharging and unfair prices too. It was also a very nice and pleasant surprise to see even Trent Reznor himself encourage file-sharing when it came to that anyway.

I suppose I take this to heart because of the strong stigma selling out gets, aside from my remaining interest in collecting physical media as already mentioned, but I can also see why I've been told that perspectives on selling out ultimately change with maturity and life experience.

As for any specific new controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions, I don't think I actually have any as of right now, but it always seemed like merely discussing opinions, perspectives, and attitudes of piracy alongside Nine Inch Nails was controversial enough, especially on here anyway. (And I mean that with ETS as a whole, not just the NIN section, because it has been extended into other parts of the board regarding all types of media and entertainment as it's also been discussed on a general scale.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-12-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Some of Phil Collins' darker songs have more in common with NIN than anyone cares to admit.

And yet nobody would take issue with comparisons to Peter Gabriel's, say, "Intruder"
    Haha this is so true.

Also when Wall-e came out the song Peter Gabriel made for the end credits reminded me so much of a cleaner Year Zero track or something.

That being said I think these things serve as a great reminder to me how melodic, warm and rich so much of the NIN canon is, especially in certain sections of songs. Like that shit is actually so extensive and its great I think.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    charli xcx would be a fantastic and appropriate opener for nin.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    ...Because she'd cancel like Death Grips?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    I'd be down for that. Plus, she's hot.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Cold Cave were the best opening act NIN had in ages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Never saw Boris, eh?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan829 View Post
    Never saw Boris, eh?
    Were they playing the untitled monster from Smile at those shows? Mindblowing either way, really.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan829 View Post
    Never saw Boris, eh?
    I'm in Europe. Saul was the benchmark, Mew were okay and Ladytron was like watching horses being slaughtered every night for 30 minutes.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'll fight you

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'll fight you
    Someone hold my weave.

If you saw them supporting at one show, I completely understand where you're coming from, but they became fabulous over the course of all the times I saw them last year. They started acknowledging the regulars at the front. In 2007, Ladytron just sneered at those of us following the tour around.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I'm with @sheepdean here, "underwhelming" is an understatement.
    But well, I don't really find the music special, and that was in Paris and the seated crowd was shit, and the sound was crap. And also, although there are a ton of former openers I love, that's the only NIN show I ever saw, to be fair. So it's not like I'm in a position to really challenge your statement...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Someone hold my weave.

If you saw them supporting at one show, I completely understand where you're coming from, but they became fabulous over the course of all the times I saw them last year. They started acknowledging the regulars at the front. In 2007, Ladytron just sneered at those of us following the tour around.
    I'm sure they were lovely people but dear god, the music was dull

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    cold cave were the best opening act nin had in ages.
    oh my god yes

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    alright, deep breath...everyone ready?

i enjoy listening to Everything more than i have ever enjoyed Hurt.

come at me o.O

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

come at me o.O
    Yeah, but can you really ENJOY listening to Hurt? I mean, it's all in the name, isn't it? It's not meant to be a pleasant listening experience. Hurt makes me somewhat uncomfortable when I listen to it, which is why I don't listen to it very often. Everything, while dealing with the unpleasantness of denial and arrogance, still has enough energy to it to make it something worth listening to more often.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

come at me o.O
    Although I never saw the Tension tour, after watching the Vevo thing, I don't get why Trent didn't just finish the show with Black Noise rather than tack Hurt on the end

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    so like is Tension DVD still coming out spring 2014?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    so like is Tension DVD still coming out spring 2014?
    *yawn* What else you got?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Two things I'm pretty sure will never come out:

- the 2013/14 live NIN DVD
    - a new Tool album

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Two things I'm pretty sure will never come out:

- the 2013/14 live NIN DVD
    - a new Tool album
    - the stick from bill's butt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess one that I have is that I think The Slip would've been better if 999,999 was merged into 1,000,000, Corona Radiata was removed, and The Slip were considered an EP instead of a full length album.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Viper- View Post
    I guess one that I have is that I think The Slip would've been better if 999,999 was merged into 1,000,000, Corona Radiata was removed, and The Slip were considered an EP instead of a full length album.
    9s and 1M flow into each other, why would it be better if they were one track? I consider them part of the whole, like Corona Radiata and LITS, but idk if the album would be better per se.

And you'd have to remove a lot of time to make it EP length...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I still think Corona Radiata would have been better if it were shorter and a bit more stripped down. (I even took a shot at making my own version. No cat noises here!)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'd just been thinking about making a similar edit yesterday (though I'd keep the cats). Great work.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    The problem Corona Radiata has, I think, is that even though it's a great, excruciatingly slow-building track, it's placement on the album is really awkward. Hell, you've had a complete, classic album progression ending with LITS, and the thing slows down even more with a track that never really picks up, which builds up slowly on droning sounds, and eventually leads to TFOUAD which is equally uneventful. Then Demon Seeds, an awkward (imho) reworking from the Ghosts album.

I love Corona Radiata, but by the time it arrives the album progression is already done, The Slip has already shot its whole magazine of songs and it's only the beginning of a loooong serie of outros.

I think The Slip would be better off ending with Corona Radiata, personally. It closes the album with an Hurt lookalike and gives it a long instrumental outro with a classic NIN abrupt ending. Perfect.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I actually think its placement on the album is fine. Much like The Downward Spiral, the chaos of the first half of the album gives way to what could be considered a moment of clarity (A Warm Place/Lights In The Sky), but the chaos/rage/whatever you want to call it hasn't completely disappeared. It's sitting beneath the surface, boiling away, waiting for its chance to spill over again (Eraser/Corona Radiata). That's the purpose that Corona Radiata serves in my opinion. Really, my issue is that it takes too long to say what it needs to say. I like long tracks, especially instrumentals, but that track just doesn't need to be that long. It overstays its welcome in my opinion.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I don't disagree, I just think that if it was the closing track it would actually work a lot better

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The problem Corona Radiata has, I think, is that even though it's a great, excruciatingly slow-building track, it's placement on the album is really awkward.
    I could see how the album could end or be leading towards the end with LITS, but I think the organization of the tracks sets up LITS to be the start of the B part of the album. I guess Head Down is on the B side of the vinyl, but from LITS on is pretty close to half of the album in terms of time (not that the exact duration really matters in any case). Obviously, if you don't like those tracks in the "B" part as much, then you won't like the B part as much and won't think they're really worthy of having their own half of the album . . but I think there's still an overall logic to the organization of the album.

::listens to part B of The Slip::
    Last edited by m15a; 10-12-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    corona radiata is my second-favorite song on the slip. it definitely feels more in line with T&A score material, and i think that's why i enjoy it so much.