Page 71 of 160 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    When this discussion of dated or not started I was thinking that maybe the 90s/00s wouldn't sound as dated, just because the digital tools (and especially the effects plugins) of the era are widely distributed by now. As opposed to earlier sounds that relied on studio hardware that's probably big and expensive and not something you'd find in someone's bedroom in 2015.

But then I heard this and started to question which century I'm in:

Some of you youngsters might not be as quick to pick up on it, but everything on that album sounds like it was written and produced in the early 80s — totally improbable in this decade, never mind that everyone involved would still have been riding tricycles at the time.

(I happen to really like that song and one other on the album, but the rest of the songs aren't strong enough to bear the weight of the nostalgia. They're more like early-80s filler.)

So I'm just more confused than ever.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 03-20-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninmachine View Post
    Remember in early 2005 when everyone suspected Trent was bald and wearing custom designed wigs to cover it up? Was that rumor ever verified?
    He's buzzed his hair short a few times, something not really possible for people who are balding unless under very tight conditions with prosthetics, plus his father and paternal grandfather don't have male pattern baldness. So, unlikely unless he got hair plugs.

He does dye it though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think you can successfully buzz your hair short if you've had a transplant, in which they surgically remove hair follicles from the denser parts of your head and re-implant them in the thinning regions, which is by far the best way to solve baldness right now. See Jude Law or Wayne Rooney for example.
    Male pattern baldness can also occur without family precedent, and at any age (that's certainly been the case with me, which is why I know so bloody much about this shit).

That said, if this applies to Trent I'd be very surprised. Never even seen an indication of thinning. My guess is that it's a rumour started by the amazing emo-fringe period.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I think you can successfully buzz your hair short if you've had a transplant, in which they surgically remove hair follicles from the denser parts of your head and re-implant them in the thinning regions, which is by far the best way to solve baldness right now. See Jude Law or Wayne Rooney for example.
    Male pattern baldness can also occur without family precedent, and at any age (that's certainly been the case with me, which is why I know so bloody much about this shit).

That said, if this applies to Trent I'd be very surprised. Never even seen an indication of thinning. My guess is that it's a rumour started by the amazing emo-fringe period.
    And of course - who cares? Hair ain't connected to musical talent, except in the case of David Lee Roth

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    He's buzzed his hair short a few times, something not really possible for people who are balding unless under very tight conditions with prosthetics, plus his father and paternal grandfather don't have male pattern baldness.
    Fwiw I've read that hair loss is passed down through your mother's side, but we've only seen his mother's father as far as I know (and he didn't look bald).

The 2005 hair was just a dumb emo hairstyle.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-21-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I always found Bob Dylan's hair more interesting. Sometime in the 70s he started wearing hats everywhere. But every once in a while you see his uncoverd head and it looks fine. I want to give it a tug one day and see if it comes off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This song is Ariel Pink's fault.
    Fuck this vaporwave, on-hold MIDI trend!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    This song is Ariel Pink's fault.
    Fuck this vaporwave, on-hold MIDI trend!
    Why Ariel Pink? What song are you talking about?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    He does dye it though.
    I spy the day a new NIN era begins with a blurry close up photo of a greyish all natural mop of hair and scruffy mountain man beard.
    And it's the heaviest era since 1992.
    Last edited by hobochic; 03-23-2015 at 06:06 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    I spy the day a new NIN era begins with a blurry close up photo of a greyish all natural mop of hair and scruffy mountain man beard.
    And it's the heaviest era since 1992.
    Don't give me false hope... I mean, about the "heaviest era since" part, not the hair

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Talking about pure bathing culture and the link above.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Speaking of gray hair, I think it'll be kind of awesome if TR someday decides to let it all show and be a silver fox.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Okay guys, I don't know if the current state of affairs makes you all warm with nostalgia for the days of extended TR disappearances, but I, for one, am about sick of this "radio silence" shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Speaking of gray hair, I think it'll be kind of awesome if TR someday decides to let it all show and be a silver fox.
    Something tells me he'd still be somewhat of a silver ginger fox.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole View Post
    Okay guys, I don't know if the current state of affairs makes you all warm with nostalgia for the days of extended TR disappearances, but I, for one, am about sick of this "radio silence" shit.
    I'm guessing he's working on something at the moment though, considering one of his last Instagram posts even said "new music." Who knows what he's up to. More than anything I hate Rob's silence on the 2013/14 blu ray set (inb4 bill tells me I'm delusional).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole View Post
    Maybe he's legit not doing anything right now?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Something tells me you're not comforting @ComradeCornhole much here, @sheepdean
    Last edited by Khrz; 03-24-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Maybe he's legit not doing anything right now?

New places = not doing anything?

I want to believe!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @GlitchyFlame now I'm just imagining Trent posing for photos at instruments just to fuck with everyone while he binges on Breaking Bad and House of Cards on Netflix.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post

I want to believe!
    I bet Mariqueen got lyrics to Ringfinger engraved on this inside of that wedding band because she's a cool biatch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I want to believe!
    Um, I’m pretty sure that Trent is at the helm of a Cardassian ship in this one...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Um, I’m pretty sure that Trent is at the helm of a Cardassian ship in this one...
    Can we call TR Gul Reznor from now on

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Terok (Rez)Nor

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The last thing I expected in this thread was awesome DS9 references.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @GlitchyFlame now I'm just imagining Trent posing for photos at instruments just to fuck with everyone while he binges on Breaking Bad and House of Cards on Netflix.
    Oh dear goodness, does that take me back.

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatper...cartoon013.htm

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    The last thing I expected in this thread was awesome DS9 references.
    Everything needs DS9 references

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I want to believe!
    Let's just cross our fingers that none of that monkey gear fidgeting business is going to something as bland and unexciting as How To Destroy A Classic Coil Title To Push An Emo Band.
    Last edited by hobochic; 03-25-2015 at 03:54 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I know the object of this thread is to be controversial, but..

explain this for me.
    I assume you're not familiar with Coil? If so, you should check them out. They made experimental music and evolved out of Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV in the early 80's. They also collaborated later with early NIN on remixes and videos.
    How To Destroy Angels was one of their early EP's:

Look also up their more "accessible" albums like Musick To Play In The Dark volumes I & II and Love's Secret Domain.

My main opinion is that Trent's HTDA has always been underwhelming , considering Coil's and NIN's legacy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    No no, I'm well aware of Coil, and their influence on Trent.

My inquiry was asking for clarification that HTDA was an emo band.
    Hey, I thought I was recruting a new Coil fan!

My main trouble with the band is the vocal delivery, and I don't want to be rude, cause I know they put a lot of effort into the project. It just never sounds genuine to me no matter how "dark" or "sad" the lyrics are. Like emo bands, they sound "correct", hit the notes "right" and perform neatly, but with little personality.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I think her voice fits the music and the mood perfectly. And since Coil has been put on the table, Balance's vocal delivery is equally disengaged in most of the song, but it never made the songs any less sinister or haunting, on the contrary...