Page 30 of 160 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 130 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I would love if Trent took a page from mid-90's Trent and threw in a few remixes. I love most of the TDS and TF era remixes, and if they ever played the Ruff mix of THTF live, or Ally's Great Destroyer remix live, I would fucking love it.
    Ruff Mix, eh? I'll have to track that one down. I do like the Photek Straight Mix.

If it means breaking out of a rut, I'm all in favor — even if the original is better.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Ruff mix is probably what “The hand that feeds” would've sounded if it was on Hes/Marks

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    EL-P's remix of "Only" tho

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    EL-P's remix of "Only" tho
    that's one i really wish they would figure out how to play live, instead of the original.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Ruff mix is probably what “The hand that feeds” would've sounded if it was on Hes/Marks
    Sounding better and better. Now if I could only find the damn thing.

Seriously — is there a search function anywhere on remix.nin.com? And why the hell are they still using Flash? Grrr.

I second (third?) the recommendation of the Only El-P remix. It's almost like TR knew deep down inside that those two songs needed fixing.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Ruff Mix, eh? I'll have to track that one down. I do like the Photek Straight Mix.

If it means breaking out of a rut, I'm all in favor — even if the original is better.
    Ruff mix is on the Japanese version of With Teeth, bonus track.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ruff mix is on the Japanese version of With Teeth, bonus track.
    Ebay ain't gonna give me my instant gratification, man!

Sigh. Someday everything will (legally) be online in one place. No more "out of print" or "Outer Mongolian version" crap.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    You can find the Ruff Mix on the official remix site.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Seriously — is there a search function anywhere on remix.nin.com? And why the hell are they still using Flash? Grrr.
    i found it in the "Most Listens Overall" playlist.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    i found it in the "Most Listens Overall" playlist.
    Ah, finally. (Site still needs a damned search function. Grump grump grump.)

Yeah — that one would sound nice on this tour.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

The Ruff Mix is in the 'Rare and Unreleased' playlist in the 'featured' section of the featured playlists in the lower right hand corner. And yes, there is a search function, it's just kind of hidden. You click on the link in the upper left hand corner that says 'listen' and then number 1 under that heading says 'search' or 'browse by'.

EDIT: I see I'm a little late telling you where to find the mix, but I'll leave it anyway just in case you haven't seen the 'Rare and Unreleased' playlist. It's got some other cool shit in it.
    Last edited by piggy; 11-15-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think YZ was probably his least best album................................

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    The Ruff Mix is in the 'Rare and Unreleased' playlist in the 'featured' section of the featured playlists in the lower right hand corner. And yes, there is a search function, it's just kind of hidden. You click on the link in the upper left hand corner that says 'listen' and then number 1 under that heading says 'search' or 'browse by'.

EDIT: I see I'm a little late telling you where to find the mix, but I'll leave it anyway just in case you haven't seen the 'Rare and Unreleased' playlist. It's got some other cool shit in it.
    Yay search!

(But the site still needs to lose the Flash and the whole WinAmp UI aesthetic. It must have been fun for a few minutes back in 2008.)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I think Rob has been considering giving the remix site a makeover, actually.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Y'know, I'm OK with never hearing The Perfect Drug live. There are better unplayed songs to get excited about.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Y'know, I'm OK with never hearing The Perfect Drug live. There are better unplayed songs to get excited about.
    Such as? There's a few songs I'd like to hear live but most would only work in an acoustic or soft set, a normal NIN set would crush most of the unplayed songs, which is probably a reason many are unplayed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Such as?
    Underneath it All for starters.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Or Sunspots. A Violet Fluid.

Demon Seed and Where is Everybody? wouldn't get crushed any more than A Warm Place or Find My Way.

And then there's Everything.

But maybe I was being a little too narrow about it. Any number of rarely played songs would be a bigger deal to me, too. There are a couple of parts of TPD that I like, but the rest of it doesn't hold up well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    I'm sorry but NIN, especially for a band that is so conscious of design and artwork when it comes to album art and stage set up, has some of most consistently lame merchandise of any major rock band. Extremely bland, with many of the same designs being resold for 20 years straight. Many shirts barely have anything on them, the logo is quite often tiny and then they charge 40 dollars for them. Ridiculous.
    In the early 90s they had THE BEST concert shirts- I loved the embroidered logo shirts (I think the last one was on the Outside tour with Bowie... That crazy Thermal that shrunk in the worst way and was rendered unwearable. . )- even the self destruct era concert Ts without the embroidering are pretty cool. I remember being really disappointed in 2000 when the starfuckers shirt came out.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    A Violet Fluid.
    I have never, ever understood the hard-on some people have for A Violet Fluid. Even back then, it made me regret being excited to buy MotP. That's one of the most boring segues I heard, and in context of the era, it sounds especially lazy.

I just can't see the point of having it played live ; Any segue would do if you go there, even one minute of improvised "na-na-na-na-na-na-na oohoohooh COME ON na-na-na-na, YEAH !"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I have never, ever understood the hard-on some people have for A Violet Fluid. Even back then, it made me regret being excited to buy MotP. That's one of the most boring segues I heard, and in context of the era, it sounds especially lazy.

I just can't see the point of having it played live ; Any segue would do if you go there, even one minute of improvised "na-na-na-na-na-na-na oohoohooh COME ON na-na-na-na, YEAH !"
    only reason for it to work would be if it was a segue between core set and encore.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    But it's so generic, even translated live it would become unrecognizable, apart from 40 years old nine inch nerds in the audience who would cream their brand new drop crotch pants instantly. Okay, making people orgasm with a simplistic synth line is awesome in its own right, but...

But I guess I'm being a dick, because I'll totally throw my fist in the air the moment Pinion starts to play... If it's of any comfort to anybody, I don't plan to buy drop crotch pants, ever.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    no to a violet fluid, yes to pilgrimage

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Heh. I didn't think A Violet Fluid would get that big a reaction.

It is pretty damn obscure, though.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    What "violet fluid" is Trent referring to? What sort of fluid is violet?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Cough syrup? The stuff with codeine in it seems to be mostly purple.

Edit: There's a practice of mixing cough syrup and Sprite called purple drank. But I don't know how widespread it was in the mid-90s.

There's also a type of brake fluid that's purple. But maybe it's not a real-world thing, just something he saw in his head.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 11-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm not really much a huge fan of NIN's remixes but, man, the El-P remix of Only is pretty good.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    There's a song that appears to be a second attempt at remixing Only on EL-P's 2008 tour exclusive cd-r: http://www.discogs.com/EL-P-Weareall...elease/1334846

As with all of EL-P's work this cd is worth checking out. It also features remixes of The Doors and The Mars Volta as well as a lot of instrumentals and unreleased songs.

On another note: I'm almost certain Copy Of A got made by Trent after hearing Two Different Ways by Factory Floor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Copy of A also has a Silent Shout era The Knife sound.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Copy of A also has a Silent Shout era The Knife sound.
    I immediately think of old video games when it starts up. Simple synth, no chords, and arpeggios everywhere.