Page 27 of 160 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    that's a pretty hilariously simplistic way to sum up PHM.. but it kind of works
    with the exception of HLAH and Terrible Lie..

disappointed is the worst track on HM. not sure what the general consensus on that track is or whether that's a controversail opinion, but yeah.. it's a stinker
    "Disappointed" is not the strongest on the album, but I don't think it's the worst. My personal least favorite is "Satellite,"...the song is irritatingly repetitive and unimaginative (call/echo with both the verses and choruses). The only glimmer of interest to me is the outro composition. Lyrically, it's okay.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    No way, the last two albums before the hiatus were such a snore-fest for me.. Ultimately though, I think of those two The Slip was the laziest and
    most uninspired.. Even the title of the record screams...lazily moans?? "Eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh, I couldn't think of anything"

With Teeth seems more focused and deliberate.. Even if you're not into it, I think you'd have to admit that it's a much more involved album than The Slip.
    Well yeah, wasn't the slip made on the road, real quick, and for free? Dude just did it real quick as a thank you to the fans, where as WT was a "comeback record" or "the return of nine inch nails" and it just wasn't that. And when TS songs are played live - forget about it. Fire. TS wins for worst cover art though. WT is a close 2nd

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    With Teeth may not have the best front cover, but WT-era artwork in general (pdf booklet, logo, wallpapers, video teasers, dvd background imagery, tour posters) are by far the best artwork Rob has ever done.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    head like a hole maxi cover is worst. that combination of inverted photo and lyrics is something that makes me question - what could possibly be less creative?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    And when TS songs are played live - forget about it. Fire. TS wins for worst cover art though.
    Oh, but the art for the individual tracks more than made up for that.

When I go back to the album I realize how much better 1,000,000 is on stage. And I like it even more the way it sounds on this tour.

Oddly, now my favorite songs on the album are Echoplex and Discipline. Head Down seems too flat by comparison.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well yeah, wasn't the slip made on the road, real quick, and for free? Dude just did it real quick as a thank you to the fans, where as WT was a "comeback record" or "the return of nine inch nails" and it just wasn't that. And when TS songs are played live - forget about it. Fire. TS wins for worst cover art though. WT is a close 2nd
    "Don't call it a comeback"
    Seriously, don't.
    The time between it and the Fragile was pretty much par for the course as far as Nine Inch Nails records up to that point were concerned. Pretty standard wait time, with the exception of AATCHB and Still.. Yeah, they came out at the same time, but they couldn't be more different so I think of them separately.

And if I'm wrong and it was a "comeback" album, I think it achieved the goal of breathing an entirely new and different air into what Nine Inch Nails could be.
    Stripped down, Mega Distorto-bass, yes!
    I'll always defend WT, because I truly do think it was such an amazing answer to the vast/overwhelming sprawl that The Fragile was. Where else could he have taken it
    that wouldn't have seemed like he was just stumbling down familiar paths.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So, do you think trent finished more songs to release as singles, in movies, etc? From his 42 min self interview it sounded like he just took the best to completion.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    head like a hole maxi cover is worst. that combination of inverted photo and lyrics is something that makes me question - what could possibly be less creative?
    But its so perfectly early '90s. Like all artwork released until TDS.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    this: http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-564566-1186900538.jpeg

also this: http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-812616-1161356759.jpeg

(pictures doesn't seem to work unless linked directly)
    Last edited by fillow; 10-15-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I actually felt the same way about the lack of a booklet Beside You In Time. There is something else in there, aside from the DVD, but it isn't that much at all. The same can sort of be said about the paper that came with Closure and And All That Could Have Been (Live), which my copy actually did have. But at least AATCHB had a small message in it from what I recall.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    NIN2013>Tension2013 as I was lucky enough to see both

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Quote Originally Posted by gorny540 View Post
    NIN2013>Tension2013 as I was lucky enough to see both
    I agree visually. I liked some of the songs better at MIA and some better on Tension. But Visually I enjoyed the festival tour more.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    this is really more of a random thought, but its likely to be controversial ... there are a lot of great songs on HM to be on drugs to. CBH and All Time Low are... really great on a certain thing. That's all I'm sayin'

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    this is really more of a random thought, but its likely to be controversial ... there are a lot of great songs on HM to be on drugs to. CBH and All Time Low are... really great on a certain thing. That's all I'm sayin'
    This is only controversial if you have the album and no drugs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm still finding I Would for You more bothersome than Everything. Wonder if it works better live.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I'm still finding I Would for You more bothersome than Everything. Wonder if it works better live.
    funny you say that, I'm currently blaring the album on vinyl and am liking Everything less and less as time goes on -- while I'm currently on I Would For You and am only appreciating this song more and more...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    But its so perfectly early '90s. Like all artwork released until TDS.
    You actually got me there. It's also one of my favorite non-album Halos too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    funny you say that, I'm currently blaring the album on vinyl and am liking Everything less and less as time goes on -- while I'm currently on I Would For You and am only appreciating this song more and more...
    I like Everything as a single, it would have been fine as a tack-on for a Greatest Hits' release, which we all know is what it was originally written for.
    As a track on the album, it just feels so out of place. It just derails the entire album IMO.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    vocal performance on hes.marks leaves a lot to be desired (especially back to back with with teeth)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    vocal performance on hes.marks leaves a lot to be desired (especially back to back with with teeth)
    To be fair, though.. They are pretty different albums, both requiring their own style and dynamics in regards to vocals.
    Not sure if you're just commenting on the quality of TR's singing, though.

Part of me feels like TR is pretty fragile(heehee) at this point. Like he seems like an old grandpa that's come out of retirement to show all the
    young whippersnappers that he's still got it. I don't know why I feel that way..

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i felt the need to remind those saying with teeth was not good, to actually blow the dust away from it and compare, it's night and day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Oh, but the art for the individual tracks more than made up for that.

When I go back to the album I realize how much better 1,000,000 is on stage. And I like it even more the way it sounds on this tour.

Oddly, now my favorite songs on the album are Echoplex and Discipline. Head Down seems too flat by comparison.
    I find the same thing with Broken - on stage the songs sound amazing, but on the album they don't really do anything for me. Maybe I'll like The Slip more once I've heard some of the songs live.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    TS wins for worst cover art though. WT is a close 2nd
    I use that one instead :

It spell NIN, or spells |SLIP|, either way, it's a win for me.

Seriously the best Sheridan has ever come up with, to me. Each cover art is perfectly relevant to the theme or title of its associated track, and that image should have been the actual cover art. I just find it all brilliant in its elegance and simplicity.
    Last edited by Khrz; 10-18-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I beg to differ; The Slip's cover art is the best thing about The Slip.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I like Everything as a single, it would have been fine as a tack-on for a Greatest Hits' release, which we all know is what it was originally written for.
    As a track on the album, it just feels so out of place. It just derails the entire album IMO.
    I'm still undecided on how Everything works within the context of the album — I'm looking at it more as a freestanding song for the moment. On that basis, I find it works perfectly well.

I Would for You bothers me because the transition from the verses to the chorus is unmotivated (the second chorus in particular). TR has such a way with extreme contrasts (Everything included) that I'm just scratching my head over this one. The verses are great, but the chorus feels like it was dropped in from an alternate universe version of Every Day is Exactly the Same.

Probably doesn't help that my opinion of EDIETS isn't what it used to be. Need to listen to the remixes again…

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Scully View Post
    I find the same thing with Broken - on stage the songs sound amazing, but on the album they don't really do anything for me. Maybe I'll like The Slip more once I've heard some of the songs live.
    Yeah, Broken does have a thin (maybe overly compressed?) sound to it. But the ferocity of those songs makes up for most of it, and the harshness of the production can actually be a plus sometimes.

But there's nothing like Wish played live with three guitars (or better yet, with Dillinger Escape Plan).

Now that TR has publicly called The Slip "weird," I guess it's more controversial to like it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^i wish he'd explained more what he meant by 'weird' - I enjoy the Slip, but wouldn't call it weird personally. Weird to me is more The New Flesh or all those Further Down the Spiral remixes (erased over out springs to mind)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I don't think he meant weird in a bad way. It's kind of like when he was asked about Pretty Hate Machine when With Teeth was being created, and he explained that "what is coming out of my head now seems to be from a very different place than the last record". Not to delve too deeply into his personal life, but The Slip came out the year before he got married and before he had kids, so maybe his mindset was different back then, just like it was different before he got sober.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah I guess he meant weird to him, rather than objectively weird

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ^^^i wish he'd explained more what he meant by 'weird' - I enjoy the Slip, but wouldn't call it weird personally.
    "Weird" could be the way the album was recorded, maybe? The songs themselves are totally NIN, so I don't think the music or lyrics would be an issue.

Weird to me is more The New Flesh or all those Further Down the Spiral remixes (erased over out springs to mind)
    Well now, Further Down the Spiral is my kind of weird. But I'll grant you that Erased, Over, Out could have been shorter.