Page 25 of 160 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    The Nine Inch Nails experience as a fan just doesn't seem complete without NIN.com, The NIN Hotline, The Meathead Perspective, and Echoing The Sound. I've actually met NIN fans that seemed to have never heard of The NIN Hotline, The Meathead Perspective, and Echoing the Sound, and I just don't like to imagine what that's like. (And something just seems to be obviously missing whenever I try to think of what that might be like to start with.)

And not that it makes NIN less enjoyable, but they really go together like pizza and soda. On the other hand, I'm very happy to promote all of the following URLs when given the chance.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-01-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    And not that it makes NIN less enjoyable, but they really go together like pizza and soda. On the other hand, I'm very happy to promote all the following URLs when given the chance.
    Honestly, I don't know. Sometimes I wish I wasn't aware of all things surrounding the music. I nodded furiously while reading that TR interview where he mentioned how tiring it can be to be too aware of the artist behind the record (their twitter, facebook accounts etc) and everything that distracts from the mystique, to quote him.
    And I'm not really arguing that ETS, the meathead perspective and the NINhotline are invaluable on their own right, I'm glad for the experience, but I'm so happy I didn't know anything about NIN apart from the very few interviews that could pop here and there, back in the 90ies. I had the leisure to sink in the music without any context other than my own, which makes Wish and The Downward Spiral amazingly personal, compared to The Fragile or worse, With_Teeth and The Slip.
    After 2002, when I had my first very own comp and internet, I had too much knowledge about who TR was when he was drunk, too much knowledge about the various personnel breakdowns and breakups, too much opinions coming from everywhere. The context was too large and the perspective too wide to make it personal anymore.
    And sometimes I wonder how music would sound if I could part with all this noise.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Honestly, I don't know. Sometimes I wish I wasn't aware of all things surrounding the music. I nodded furiously while reading that TR interview where he mentioned how tiring it can be to be too aware of the artist behind the record (their twitter, facebook accounts etc) and everything that distracts from the mystique, to quote him.
    This might also count as yet another controversial Nine Inch Nails opinion, but I've sometimes wondered if it would have been better if Trent Reznor avoided Facebook and Twitter altogether. I could still see YouTube being used as an exception, but strictly for music and music videos with the comments section turned off. I will admit that I liked the mystique of his private and reclusive behavior. And in some cases, when it comes to your heroes, the less you know the better, and at least he wouldn't have to deal with any trolls or flamers online.

And I'm not really arguing that ETS, the meathead perspective and the NINhotline are invaluable on their own right, I'm glad for the experience, but I'm so happy I didn't know anything about NIN apart from the very few interviews that could pop here and there, back in the 90ies. I had the leisure to sink in the music without any context other than my own, which makes Wish and The Downward Spiral amazingly personal, compared to The Fragile or worse, With_Teeth and The Slip.
    I actually see what you mean there, and have been very aware of the frustration and drama that goes along with it. I also suppose that it obviously depends on the person, but some people are actually far more happy, contented, relaxed, centered, and at peace without Facebook and Twitter, or Internet forums for that matter. And like I said, he could use YouTube as an exception but just for music and music videos with the comments section turned off. And to top it off, no blogs of any kind, while having all comments off on the NIN news section of NIN.com at the home page, depending on how it's set up.

After 2002, when I had my first very own comp and internet, I had too much knowledge about who TR was when he was drunk, too much knowledge about the various personnel breakdowns and breakups, too much opinions coming from everywhere. The context was too large and the perspective too wide to make it personal anymore.
    And sometimes I wonder how music would sound if I could part with all this noise.
    Even as somebody that likes The NIN Hotline, The Meathead Perspective, and Echoing The Sound, I've often wondered about that myself. I'm still sure that I'd still enjoy listening to Nine Inch Nails regardless of any of those sites' presence or absence though.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-25-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    After 2002, when I had my first very own comp and internet, I had too much knowledge about who TR was when he was drunk, too much knowledge about the various personnel breakdowns and breakups, too much opinions coming from everywhere.
    I should like to point out that one of the big rules at the NIN Hotline is that it's the NIN Hotline, not the Trent Reznor's personal life hotline - not that you suggested otherwise. But for all those same reasons. I always appreciated this idea of Nine Inch Nails as an entity that was fairly separate from the personalities involved. In fact, I'm surprised at recent interviews, where Trent is taking pains to explain the latest album, or to explain why he wrote "Everything."

Man, if you think fandom changed by reading the Hotline & ETS, imagine the perspective I have running the Hotline & ETS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sorry but NIN, especially for a band that is so conscious of design and artwork when it comes to album art and stage set up, has some of most consistently lame merchandise of any major rock band. Extremely bland, with many of the same designs being resold for 20 years straight. Many shirts barely have anything on them, the logo is quite often tiny and then they charge 40 dollars for them. Ridiculous.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dear Trent,

It's time that you retire "Hurt" from the live sets... and epecially, it should not be the last song to end a concert on. It's a totally bummer of a track, don't get me wrong it's a great track, but a total frigging bummer live. After an immensely awesome and powerful visual experience with your live shows, "Hurt" brings that all to a hault... and not in a good way. NIN needs a new closing tracks. "In This Twilight" is nice, but they need something much more powerful and not the usual fallback "Head Like A Hole." Why does he play it so safe when it comes to the closing track live? Come Trent, you've shocked and amazed us... it's time to really bring an NIN show to a proper end. Take a chance.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    I'm sorry but NIN, especially for a band that is so conscious of design and artwork when it comes to album art and stage set up, has some of most consistently lame merchandise of any major rock band. Extremely bland, with many of the same designs being resold for 20 years straight. Many shirts barely have anything on them, the logo is quite often tiny and then they charge 40 dollars for them. Ridiculous.
    In regards to "consistently lame" and "bland", can you explain? This era is the first in which I haven't been a fan of the designs.
    The "same designs being resold for 20 years" I can only see being said about the teeth and salt design, and I can understand why. It originally came out, then stopped production, then was re-designed and printed sometime later (I believe after WT). I will agree that the newest, white reprint they have at the merch stands this tour is... off-putting. Both the visual of having it on white, and the fact that they're selling a TDS shirt at the HM tour... I see the connection, same visual artist, but it's weird.
    Many shirts having minimalistic design, in my opinion, is better than some gawdy bootleg-looking shirts like some other official band merch. The NIN logo itself is minimalistic. As for tiny logo syndrome, while I have seen some shirt designs (Closure, The Fragile) I can't say I mind it as much as you seem to. I'm not looking to be a sandwich board when I wear a NIN shirt.

The cost, if you're talking about concert merch, is reasonable. One, you're talking about a shirt, a piece of artwork you can have and look at and wear around for 20, 30, 40+ years, that costs the same as 4 beers at the same venue. Two, as someone who understands what goes in to designing, making a screen, and printing a shirt like these, $40 is reasonable. Three, everyone knows that bands make their money with shows and merch. Aside from $300 special deluxe Trent actually touched this copy you can find his skin cells on it versions of albums, musicians don't bring in sustainable money that way. They make money touring, and selling merch. I think at this point, Trent fucking deserves $40 for a shirt from me (keep in mind, he isn't getting all $40 per shirt, the venue makes a cut, people standing there selling them, the cost of production and shipping that heavy of a load, etc).
    Hell, he gave us 2 free albums.

You can have your opinion on NIN shirts, I mean this is controversial NIN opinions. I just had to respond. Especially since I've collected more NIN shirts than albums at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Half of the shirts available last night were Pretty Hate Machine shirts, which makes even less sense.

I'm sorry but when any given design by Design By Humans can be acquired for as low as 15 dollars when those shirts aren't even produced in anywhere near the quantities of tour shirts, 40 dollars for a screeenprint of a NIN logo 4 inches across simply does not cut it. Other bands have far more interesting shirts with more variety and cost half as much.

The shirts themselves look like bootlegs, because they are remarkably easy to bootleg.
    Last edited by AlanMorlock; 10-02-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I can't believe that I didn't say this any sooner, but Pretty Hate Machine helps me cope with infatuation. It's an emotion that's depressing and it hardly makes any sense because it feels like a break-up and in its full-blown state I yearn to be with somebody that never wanted to be with me. I know it's about a break-up, but I sometimes wonder if the loss from infatuation can sort of match a break-up in some ways while still being a completely different things in others.

Turns out she's going to the same NIN concert I'm going. Oh dear, bumping into her would be awkward.
    man, that was really well said. after this Burial album finishes, I'm gonna put on PHM and think of that -- suffering a bit of infatuation lately myself

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really don't understand why Trent chooses to play I'm Afraid Of Americans.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Because he likes it, and because the song is sorta part of NIN discography?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I think it being written with one of his favorite artists makes it special. Its pretty badass live, too. TR totally plays it better than Bowie does IMO. I also just spent 5 minutes thinking of taking that last part back, but no, TR really plays it better than Bowie does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Probably a little bit of hero-worship on his part. I dunno – it doesn't really sit that well in ANY setlist, as much as I like it. It suits the new touring line-up, but it's just not NIN.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I agree that TR could take more chances when it comes to the closing song live. Hurt is definetely an awesome, powerful song and a GREAT closer...but its been over done. Its too predictable. I understand he is catering to casual fans, and thats cool, but he has shown that it can be played elsewhere in the set. It still works. (wasnt the live video shot with wish after it?). I like the idea of that last note going on and on and fading and then BAM, right into something else. They can pull off whatever the fuck they want, they KILL live. Hurt has just been played out as a closer for me. When you are at a show and it comes on, its like "ok were done here, time to start planning my exit strategy from the cattle herd". Again, i love hurt, the song is amazing and totally one of his best, and its an amazing closing song with the explosion at the end, but they have done it almost every tour since its been written. I know theyve used HLAH and ITT. I loved ITT when i saw it live, great closing song. But i would love if they ended with 'while im still here' and 'Black noise'. They should have just stopped there. Or i 'would for you' would be cool with an extended outro w/ the piano.

Sorry long rant. But honestly, he can do whatever he wants and somehow, i will love it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    should close with Closer, at least try it once or twice

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I really don't understand all the love for A Perfect Drug.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by utterben View Post
    Probably a little bit of hero-worship on his part. I dunno – it doesn't really sit that well in ANY setlist, as much as I like it. It suits the new touring line-up, but it's just not NIN.
    In terms of covers, I'd rather have him do Metal instead since that is kind of orgasmic live. Or finally breaking out Memorabilia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In terms of covers, I'd rather have him do Metal instead since that is kind of orgasmic live. Or finally breaking out Memorabilia.
    Memorabilia with Danny Lohner shouting/rambling in the background. That'd make my day/month/year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I always thought Metal/I'm Afraid of Americans/Head Down mixed well, they've played it sometimes during WV tour.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Head Down should replace 1mil on the setlists, too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I got to see Metal on the NIN/JA tour and you're right, it is fucking fantastic live. He definitely needs to pull that one out more.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Head Down should replace 1mil on the setlists, too.
    If they're playing 1mil with the synth instead of the guitar; yes.

If they're playing 1mil with the guitar then absolutely not.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think Head Down would sound fantastic with Pino playing on it.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was actually thinking the same thing. And I also thought he liked to play I'm Afraid Of Americans the same way he liked to play Get Down, Make Love or Dead Souls, but with the fact that he actually worked with David Bowie on it. And speaking of which, I'd like to see Dead Souls or Get Down, Make Love live. Didn't some people also ask for Sex Dwarf too? (That also occurred to me.)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Josh Freese is not the best drummer Nine Inch Nails has ever had-I still think that honor belongs to Jerome Dillon.

The drums sound terrible on the Beside You in Time DVD. They don't even really sound like actual drums, more like wet cardboard boxes being slapped with dead trout.

Aaron North is probably my favorite guitar player they've ever had.

I love Trent's version of Dead Souls... I can't stand the original Joy Division version. Trent did it the way I feel it should have been done in the first place.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The ending trifecta of With Teeth ranks among NIN's best, lyrically, musically and conceptually.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    The drums sound terrible on the Beside You in Time DVD. They don't even really sound like actual drums, more like wet cardboard boxes being slapped with dead trout.
    Try the stereo 2.0 mix one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Welcome Oblivion" was an 'angrier' NIN album than Hesitation Marks.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    The ending trifecta of With Teeth ranks among NIN's best, lyrically, musically and conceptually.
    That's exactly one of the biggest reasons why I've found With Teeth to have been a very solid release.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    "Welcome Oblivion" was an 'angrier' NIN album than Hesitation Marks.
    it's not a NIN album...though it is "angrier"