Page 156 of 160 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I am still trying to grasp the concept of a NIN fan not liking PHM.....
    The beats are shitty compared to later albums.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    PHM is quite schitzophrenic, Didnt the record company call it an abortion, PHM, they were expecting something like Depeche Mode, New Order, The The.
    The songs are all really really strong, but with regards to the sound, his voice was not his own yet,
    Sometimes felt you had these gorgeous synth pop tracks with pointless distortion added to them making them needlessly aggressive and difficult.
    I love the record but I have never held in as high regard as some do, it oddly sounds a lot older than it is, it sounds like something from 1984 or 85. That's What I Get I always loved.
    Something I Can Never Havecis by country mile best track the real breathtaking moment, and that sounds like This Mortal Coil, the album is a bit all over the place

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone else get that jealous feeling when you hear TR playing some sick guitar riffs on a non NIN track/project?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Ouch. My 80's child heart just stopped beating for a second there, lmao.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Anyone else get that jealous feeling when you hear TR playing some sick guitar riffs on a non NIN track/project?
    I wouldn't say that I feel "jealous" exactly but I just keep wishing the next NIN release has some sick guitar riffs like NUN WITH A MOTHERFUCKING GUN and the last snippet of Halsey album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Am I mishearing or wasn’t there a lot of guitar on NTAE and Bad Witch?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Why be jealous? Trent has worked on some great tracks outside of Nine Inch Nails, and there's plenty of sick riffage to be found in the NIN catalogue.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Am I mishearing or wasn’t there a lot of guitar on NTAE and Bad Witch?
    Most NIN have a lot of guitars, even Year Zero has some killer guitar riffs and solos which people overlook.

The Slip also is pretty underrated in this regard, I mean c'mon, listen to Letting You, that guitar is so good!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    How so? Listen to Down In It with a speaker with a proper woofer, or better yet subwoofer, and it’s better than most rap/hip hop songs from that era. PHM is criminally underrated as far as production goes considering this is a new band/artist/musician that hardly got any support from the label.

Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    and solos
    Heh?…

And please don’t say Capital G lol.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    And please don’t say Capital G lol.
    The Good Soldier outro, Meet Your Master..I guess "guitar solos" is not a good thing to say but I do feel like it has some great ass guitars! I love the ones on Survivalism.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The new Ghosts didnt have much guitar from what i remember. HM also had a noticeable absence of distorted guitars. Off the top of my head, CBH (one or two parts), everything (throughout) and VMOE (outro being the big moment, but chorus as well) are all I can think of. IWFY outro as well. Not that that matters, just makes those moments more powerful for having them. But TR is an underrated guitar player. Not technically complex, but can write a catchy riff and process it to fit perfectly. Sometimes layers upon layers of riffage, all doing different things, which provide a powerful build up, like the end of Wish or Burn. I know it's not just a staple of NIN, it's a staple of TR as well, but i cant help but hear it on Halsey and wish it was reserved for the main act. Is that selfish... yes.

For context, not a big Halsey guy over here but same thing happened when "we want it all" came out, along with NUN from Watchmen. Fuck, even that prick album has some obviously TR written guitar parts that were too good to give away imo. Wasn't a huge Bad witch fan aside from SM & ahead and the newest Ghosts has not pulled me in yet. Nothing really stood out aside from the beat entrance midway through the last song on Together. Strange how those songs are named but still have less identity to me than the first Ghosts, where every song is unique yet sort of faceless. Sorry, ranting...avoiding work.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I hope NIN never play another amphitheater or club show ever again - only arenas with fully GA floors for the rest of their career. Clubs and seated only venues only benefit scalpers. Getting a GA ticket in an 2000 capacity arena floor is infinitely easier than trying to get a reserved seat in a 19000 capacity amphitheater.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I hope NIN never play another amphitheater or club show ever again - only arenas with fully GA floors for the rest of their career. Clubs and seated only venues only benefit scalpers. Getting a GA ticket in an 2000 capacity arena floor is infinitely easier than trying to get a reserved seat in a 19000 capacity amphitheater.
    Last time they played in my hometown, they did an arena show and a club show, i loved both, but they were very different experiences and getting tickets to the club show was a bitch (but not impossible...).
    I like the idea of the band giving fans two options, scalpers are huge over here too, but NIN is more popular in USA and seeing them live in a small venue, seems to be impossible over there from what i heard...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    IIRC Club shows have been almost entirely GA.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    IIRC Club shows have been almost entirely GA.
    Most clubs are <2000 capacity thus making them more attractive to scalpers.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I ONLY want to see NIN in small venues. Festivals are not for me. Honestly my ideal music listening experience would be seeing them live in a small club with everyone shutting the hell up during songs and just sitting in quiet rapture.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I ONLY want to see NIN in small venues. Festivals are not for me. Honestly my ideal music listening experience would be seeing them live in a small club with everyone shutting the hell up during songs and just sitting in quiet rapture.
    The problem is those tickets aren’t available at retail, so you’ll never get in without paying a scalper.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This Isn't The Place gives me more feels than Hurt.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    This Isn't The Place gives me more feels than Hurt.
    hard same. on the right day, it can reduce me to an emotional mess.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Perfect Drug Versions was the last great remix album.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The Frail + The Wretched is the worst show opening song that NIN ever did. Followed closely by Me, I'm Not.
    If you wanna start slow, at least play something short like Home. But these two just drag for too long for the opening song.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The Frail + The Wretched is the worst show opening song that NIN ever did. Followed closely by Me, I'm Not.
    If you wanna start slow, at least play something short like Home. But these two just drag for too long for the opening song.
    Hard disagree. One of the most exciting things I've ever seen was at the second 2005 club show in Toronto when the house lights went out to that instrumental "Beside You in Time" drone going straight into "The Frail". It built the tension marvellously, and the whole crowd was screaming along with the words to "The Wretched". By the time we got to "Piggy" three or four songs later TR was so amped up by the crowd response, he did a massive stage dive. The previous night, they opened from the time-stretched "Pinion" into "You Know What You Are?", which was also fun, but not as theatrical or as intense of a payoff.
    Last edited by botley; 03-21-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've never been a fan of mashing up Closer with The Only Time. The Fragile-era performances of Closer in its entirety just sound so much more moodier when the entire back-half is played. The interlude with The Only Time's synth line playing above the brooding lyrics that are whispered in Closer clashes way too much for me to enjoy.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_echo View Post
    I've never been a fan of mashing up Closer with The Only Time. The Fragile-era performances of Closer in its entirety just sound so much more moodier when the entire back-half is played. The interlude with The Only Time's synth line playing above the brooding lyrics that are whispered in Closer clashes way too much for me to enjoy.
    I was cool with it during the WT period and I thought it was a clever idea, but it probably should have been retired after that touring cycle. I'd rather see "The Only Time" brought back in full, TBH.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Me, I'm Not remix by Olof Dreijer is a top 3 remix

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don't get it. I've tried. I've got excellent headphones and 2-channel systems and I just do not get it.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Replace Me, I’m Not with Screaming Slave and I’ll agree.

Controversialish? - I’d like to see Complication back in the set lists, with some weird The New Flesh / Complications Of The Flesh electronic weird bit added to it by TR and AR.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Trent has been far too quiet with NIN. I respect that he has other projects, humans need variety.... but traditionally TR/NIN has leaked stuff, and given us hints or updates or samples of whats to come.

Well maybe thats not true... Broken and The Slip came out of nowhere.

But I think we can all agree that The Fragile, W_T and Y_Z releases were a lot of fun leading up to the actual release. It gave NIN life and gave people a chance to shit on the album before it was even released... I mean build excitement.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    no you are correct. give us the goods, trent. we’ve waited. it’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Trent has been far too quiet with NIN. I respect that he has other projects, humans need variety.... but traditionally TR/NIN has leaked stuff, and given us hints or updates or samples of whats to come.

Well maybe thats not true... Broken and The Slip came out of nowhere.

But I think we can all agree that The Fragile, W_T and Y_Z releases were a lot of fun leading up to the actual release. It gave NIN life and gave people a chance to shit on the album before it was even released... I mean build excitement.
    Seems to me the last 2 Ghosts records came out of nowhere, too.