Page 141 of 160 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I’ve not cared about any of the scores for a while other than Watchmen which mixed it up more sonically and I’m disappointed how so much of this new stuff feels like a step back from that. The original Ghosts releases were full of diverse instruments and odd choices and this all blurred into one thing. V especially didn’t grip me one bit. I get some people want more relaxing stuff while stressed but I find it impossible to relate to or connect with at the moment. It’s cool they put it out but I’m really hoping this is a neat side thing and not the “new NIN album” they mentioned before. It’s just not for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The complaints about no lyrics are baffling to me.
    Seriously, I don't know why it bugs me if there're no lyrics. I don't really care at this point it my life why I'm not into instrumentals. I mean, I listen to Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or Echoes, or all of the new Tool. And it's more than 75% instrumentals!! But there are still lyrics somewhere to get me back into it, ... and keyboard/guitars/bass/drums, but that might be another topic. I don't hate Ghosts. I don't hate anything Trent (and Atticus) has done. But I can't seem get in the mood. It's missing something "for my personal listening pleasure". BUT, I'm really happy people are trilled about Ghosts 5-6 and all of their soundtracks. I mean, it's Trent Reznor! (and Atticus Ross).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    It’s cool they put it out but I’m really hoping this is a neat side thing and not the “new NIN album” they mentioned before. It’s just not for me.
    Well, considering that in 2008 we got 'The Slip' right after 'Ghosts I-IV', that's definitely not the project they were talking about, as was said, probably there's a lot of stuff from Woman In The Window they enjoyed enough to release (and they weren't gonna release it like "hey this is the score that we were making" etc).

Btw, the new album they did mention there's gonna be collaborations on it. I don't think they were gonna do that without any promotion before release.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I know this is the controversial thread but it's really fun to see people like "WHY PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING THIS??? I'M NOT ENJOYING, THEY SHOULDN'T ENJOY IT TOO!!!" or "THIS IS NOT MY NIN" as the world is centered around them.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    I know this is the controversial thread but it's really fun to see people like "WHY PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING THIS??? I'M NOT ENJOYING, THEY SHOULDN'T ENJOY IT TOO!!!" or "THIS IS NOT MY NIN" as the world is centered around them.
    where are you seeing that? Please do quote, since you’re implying people as multiple.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Nine Inch Nails is a rock band first and foremost. Guy up-front sings. Simple as that.
    Eh, that's a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at it in my opinion
    No, it isn't. This is what fans expect from a band that's presented itself as such for decades, playing the hits night after night. People are simple and they want simple things. Pretty obvious, if you ask me.

They're clearly not interested in making digestible rock anthems all the time. They like to get weird and make stuff that doesn't always conform to what people expect them to put out.
    That's exactly the problem. It *does* conform, but not in a way that the aforementioned fans want. The point many have made before me is that it's too similar to the soundtrack work which previously was kept somewhat at arms length from NIN. TRAR have essentially trolled the fanbase by handing us two new NIN albums for free (!), except with the caveat that it's not really NIN, it's just more of the same homogeneous soundtrack stuff that many of us have become sick of. With that in mind, it's understandable that some are disappointed.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm really enjoying the new Ghosts so far. But outside of nine inch nails I don't really listen to or enjoy songs - it's all music without lyrics (not necessarily without vocals). These releases overlap with a lot of other stuff that I enjoy, which might be described as drone, dark ambient, modern classical, etc. I think if you're not used to listening to this kind of stuff then perhaps these albums, and the soundtrack work, might all sound like just the same homogeneous dirge over and over again. But that's really not the case. One thing I'd recommend is that, if - as some people seem to be - you're actually bothered by the fact that you're not into this new material, then maybe try poking around these other, non-song-based, kinds of music, and acquiring a taste for them. There's a wealth of excellent ambient and minimal music to explore, and if you can get into it then there's a lot of pleasure to be had. If you're able to get attuned to this kind of music then the TR+AR's recent work will start to sound a lot less homogeneous and dirgey.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Oh good. We’re complaining about FREE MUSIC. That you didn’t pay for. That you can delete or not download to begin with. I get some don’t care for the soundtrack work and prefer their NIN with vocals. There’s room in my ears for both.

Can we agree this was a kind gesture to release a bunch of music for free? It made my day during a REALLY tough week.

I like Together much more than Locusts and I’m with @ltrandazzo in thinking Locusts is The Woman In The Window score.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It’s the controversial opinion thread, I don’t see people complaining that they gave out free music as much as just saying they’re not connecting with it. There’s this insane attitude that free of charge = free of criticism or something and that’s so weird. I wish I loved all this, I just don’t, if this isn’t the thread to say you didn’t like something then what is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it can be a great exercise for your mindset to see that your beloved artist xyz has—maybe even for the first time—put out music that you don't like or can't resonate with, and then twist it in a way where you make something positive or at least neutral of it. I can remember really clearly, when I started listening to (and buying) music passionately years ago, I had these OCD-like thoughts of "I can only listen to/support/buy stuff of artists, whose work I love without exception"... I still can feel that a bit, but it's a lot easier now to let go, tolerate, accept...

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I did criticize it. I said Together is better than Locusts. I just didn’t whine that it exists.

There’s a difference. I believe I covered that in my last post.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    ...except with the caveat that it's not really NIN...
    Can I just say how annoying this "I don't like it, therefore it's not Nine Inch Nails" mindset is? People said that when the original Ghosts came out too, and it was just as ridiculous then as it is now. You're free not to like it, but to say that it doesn't count as a Nine Inch Nails release because there's no rock anthems on it is absurd. Also, it's not your call as to what a Nine Inch Nails release is, especially when there's a wide variety of stuff under that name.

And for those that say there's no real line between Nine Inch Nails and their score work: CONGRATULATIONS! You're finally getting it!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I'm really enjoying the new Ghosts so far. But outside of nine inch nails I don't really listen to or enjoy songs - it's all music without lyrics (not necessarily without vocals). These releases overlap with a lot of other stuff that I enjoy, which might be described as drone, dark ambient, modern classical, etc. I think if you're not used to listening to this kind of stuff then perhaps these albums, and the soundtrack work, might all sound like just the same homogeneous dirge over and over again. But that's really not the case. One thing I'd recommend is that, if - as some people seem to be - you're actually bothered by the fact that you're not into this new material, then maybe try poking around these other, non-song-based, kinds of music, and acquiring a taste for them. There's a wealth of excellent ambient and minimal music to explore, and if you can get into it then there's a lot of pleasure to be had. If you're able to get attuned to this kind of music then the TR+AR's recent work will start to sound a lot less homogeneous and dirgey.
    This seems like a really appropriate start if you want to dive fully in to the fusion:

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    And for those that say there's no real line between Nine Inch Nails and their score work: CONGRATULATIONS! You're finally getting it!
    Absolutely there is a huge distinction between these two things.

Nine Inch Nails is a commentary on the nature of existence, philosophical debates, sociopolitical critique, personal angst, and so on. Everything is made with artistic intent towards whatever they're interested in at the time, be it an external narrative, realisation of inner turmoil, whatever. Maybe they just want to write songs that are fun to play live. Point is, it's self-directed.

Score work is work-for-hire. They play with someone else's story and set audio to it. Fulfil a contract.

I don't think these things are the same at all.

That doesn't mean the soundtracks aren't good music, they're just... not Nine Inch Nails... and this new release is seemingly more of the same of that.

...except with the caveat that it's not really NIN...
    Can I just say how annoying this "I don't like it, therefore it's not Nine Inch Nails" mindset is? People said that when the original Ghosts came out too, and it was just as ridiculous then as it is now. You're free not to like it, but to say that it doesn't count as a Nine Inch Nails release because there's no rock anthems on it is absurd. Also, it's not your call as to what a Nine Inch Nails release is, especially when there's a wide variety of stuff under that name.
    Rubbish. Utter nonsense. I never said this, although I did admit I was a bit bored of score work. You may have missed the entire rest of that sentence, which is how TR&AR=/=NIN.

You stated earlier:
    The complaints about no lyrics are baffling to me.
    All my replies to you have been trying to answer this query, which honestly seems pretty obvious. I'm explaining what the majority of fans want, and this is not what those fans want. Note that we on this board are not the majority.

Imagine if next tour, they only play this material. No one can deny that there'd be an uproar in the community.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Score work is work-for-hire. They play with someone else's story and set audio to it. Fulfil a contract.
    This is pretty condescending to me because I actually do score work (not bragging, just stating a fact), and you make it sound like you're on autopilot or only doing it for a paycheck when you do that kind of work. Personally, I have done work that was solely for the money, but 90% of the time its been about the spirit of collaboration and serving a story you believe in and want to see come to life. I imagine they feel the same way too.

I'm explaining what the majority of fans want, and this is not what those fans want. Note that we on this board are not the majority.
    The majority that you speak of want Closer and Head Like A Hole on repeat, and honestly, I don't think Trent & Atticus are making music for them anymore. So...fuck 'em. Also, the reception to this album has been pretty positive for the most part. Nobody's declaring it a classic, but who gives a shit?

Imagine if next tour, they only play this material. No one can deny that there'd be an uproar in the community.
    Imagine that Trent & Atticus don't create music solely to play in front of five thousand people in Poughkeepsie. Imagine that they make music to express themselves in ways that they see fit, and that might resonate with people in different ways. Imagine that not everything they make is about pleasing YOU, the perpetually disappointed. Maybe then you'll understand why they do what they do.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Imagine that not everything they make is about pleasing YOU, the perpetually disappointed. Maybe then you'll understand why they do what they do.
    You know, I have this policy where if someone starts calling me names, I block them. At that point, the debate ceases to be a discussion.
    I'm not interested in playground behaviour. Sorry. You're blocked.

For what it's worth, I've listened to both albums and enjoyed them thoroughly, especially Locusts. How's that for being "perpetually disappointed"?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    You know, I have this policy where if someone starts calling me names, I block them. At that point, the debate ceases to be a discussion.
    I'm not interested in playground behaviour. Sorry. You're blocked.
    I was using "you" in the third person (the collective "you"). I wasn't talking about you specifically. Oh well. I'm blocked now. Guess you'll never know.

Also, enjoying the albums while complaining that it's not what the majority wants or that it doesn't fit into the box you've placed Trent & Atticus in is just complaining to complain. Sorry to call you on your bullshit, but it's true.

Oh. Right. I'm blocked. Gotta remember that...
    Last edited by BRoswell; 03-28-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, I've listened to both albums and enjoyed them thoroughly, especially Locusts. How's that for being "perpetually disappointed"?
    i feel like you (and @BRoswell ) would have both saved each other a lot of grief if you had simply listened to the music before you came into the thread to comment on it. i'm a little confused about that. but i'm also really glad you liked them both so much! i know you said you've been having a tough time and sometimes music is the best cure for feeling horrible. hope things get better for you soon.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Not The Actual Events and Locusts are the only Industrial albums in the entire NIN studio album lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Not The Actual Events and Locusts are the only Industrial albums in the entire NIN studio album lineup.
    I've no clue what the specific genre definitions are (for most genres, bc why really give a fuck?), but imagined industrial to sound metal-y with more mechanical sounds... like those that sometimes appear on Broken and TDS.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Not that it means anything, but Bad Witch is Gar more industrial then NTAE (which is maybe... industrial metal. God I hate myself right now)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hey here’s a real controversial take! Trent and Atticus are ducking jerks for surprise releasing two albums the same day that Alessandro Cortini releases his incredible album (with Daniel Avery), stealing all his buzz.

ok maybe not assholes but I hope people find time for another moody instrumental record because it’s really fucking good and very bright

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    Hey here’s a real controversial take! Trent and Atticus are ducking jerks for surprise releasing two albums the same day that Alessandro Cortini releases his incredible album (with Daniel Avery), stealing all his buzz.

ok maybe not assholes but I hope people find time for another moody instrumental record because it’s really fucking good and very bright
    I did not know that, thanks for the info. I also need to give the New Regime album a listen

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

I actually listened to it right after listening to the new Ghosts last night. Good stuff!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I want to be optimistic about new NIN, I usually love absolutely everything that comes out of the NIN camp, especially the instrumentals, but the lack of dynamics (and percussion) keeps me from being attentive to when a track starts or stops. After spending 5 hours of unsuccessfully trying to not nap through two listens at my desk, I shelved it for later. This is just not what I need right now. Hopefully this release means we get an album in 2 months with drums on it, like the last time he dropped a set of Ghosts.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Not that it means anything, but Bad Witch is Gar more industrial then NTAE (which is maybe... industrial metal. God I hate myself right now)
    Bad Witch to me dances into the Acid Jazz territory far more than industrial

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Well, considering that in 2008 we got 'The Slip' right after 'Ghosts I-IV', that's definitely not the project they were talking about, as was said, probably there's a lot of stuff from Woman In The Window they enjoyed enough to release (and they weren't gonna release it like "hey this is the score that we were making" etc).

Btw, the new album they did mention there's gonna be collaborations on it. I don't think they were gonna do that without any promotion before release.
    Exactly. I'm taking this year in a 2008 mindset where we got an array of instrumental music prior to a "NIN proper" release. As much as I adore Bad Witch and consider it my favorite NIN album since With Teeth, I'm hoping it's at least a little longer in the tooth track list and length wise than Bad Witch was.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

technically they released it on thursday, and alessandro's collab album came out on friday, but now i'm being pedantic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    LMAO @ the bitching and bickering in this thread. Am I the only one who readily gobbles up all this score work they keep lavishing us with? How quickly we forget the wilderness years of 1995-1999 and then the Great NIN Depression of 2000-2005. Waves, Watchmen and especially that creepy-as-all-fuck Birdbox Deluxe score were some of his best work yet, and Women In The Window Ghosts Locusts is going to climb the ranks in time too, I can feel it..

Of course, this is my favorite musician ever we are talking about, for 27 years and counting. Fuck yes I'll take a Super Deluxe Box Set of Atticus Following Trent Around While He Does The Chores. Total fanboy here, I'm not even ashamed in the slightest..

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    technically they released it on thursday, and alessandro's collab album came out on friday, but now i'm being pedantic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    is that not what this thread is for?