Page 140 of 160 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Hurt has never been a huge favorite song of mine. Occasionally I'll listen to it if I'm watching other video archives.

But I HATE how a ton of people cover the song, and everyone thinks it's a Johnny Cash song.
    Can't stand it. Yes, the Johnny Cash version is good, but I've only listened to it maybe 2-3 times total since it came out.

Strangely enough, I never really liked Something I Can Never Have when I was younger, but over the last few years it's started to really grow on me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Hurt has never been a huge favorite song of mine. Occasionally I'll listen to it if I'm watching other video archives.

But I HATE how a ton of people cover the song, and everyone thinks it's a Johnny Cash song.
    Can't stand it. Yes, the Johnny Cash version is good, but I've only listened to it maybe 2-3 times total since it came out.

Strangely enough, I never really liked Something I Can Never Have when I was younger, but over the last few years it's started to really grow on me.
    I agree. Hurt isn't bad, but it isn't my favorite either. My brother is a huge Johnny Cash fan, and he hates NIN, and he won't believe me that Hurt was a NIN song.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    That's just bullshit. He can look it up anywhere on the internet to see that Trent wrote that song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's just bullshit. He can look it up anywhere on the internet to see that Trent wrote that song.
    Exactly. Interestingly, my brother used to like Nine Inch Nails and Nirvana, but then when I start listening to them, suddenly he doesn't like them anymore. He's younger BTW, I'm the older sibling.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzalovingnerd View Post
    I agree. Hurt isn't bad, but it isn't my favorite either. My brother is a huge Johnny Cash fan, and he hates NIN, and he won't believe me that Hurt was a NIN song.
    Nope. Completely wrong. Josh Wink wrote it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I can't get into Ghosts 5. I can't care about it. I'm happy it exists, I'm happy it's out. New NIN is always welcome. Between this and any other soundtrack they made, I just can't.... wow Still Right Here just changed to something else....

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    I can't get into Ghosts 5. I can't care about it. I'm happy it exists, I'm happy it's out. New NIN is always welcome. Between this and any other soundtrack they made, I just can't.... wow Still Right Here just changed to something else....
    I’ve yet to listen to it, but pretty sure that’s going to be my feeling on this as well. Kind of over the Trent/Atticus moody soundtrack stuff at this point.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Exactly. Interestingly, my brother used to like Nine Inch Nails and Nirvana, but then when I start listening to them, suddenly he doesn't like them anymore. He's younger BTW, I'm the older sibling.

did he jump off back around Broken or something? because if he did like them and now he hates them, there's a specific point in time where that break had to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    did he jump off back around Broken or something? because if he did like them and now he hates them, there's a specific point in time where that break had to happen.
    He liked Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Not controversial....I dig all these instrumental albums....But man I miss the songs where Trent would actually SING.....The dude is one of the best vocalists out there and he doesn't utilize it. I can't help but think a lot of these instrumentals on the new Ghosts or especially Watchmen would have made killer NIN songs w vocals

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, what a day - My boss brings me a big slice of leftover pizza (since he knows how much I love pizza) and we get 2 new NIN releases! Unfortunately the pizza was better than the NIN - What is this, leftovers from their soundtrack work? The cancelled Women in the Window score? This release does not come close to what the first Ghosts was, I cannot believe the elitist NIN fans are praising it in the new Ghosts forum. What's next, Atticus will follow Trent around his house one day recording him doing chores and the fans will be all "oh, I love track 5 - I feel like I'm right there doing the dishes with Trent".
    Last edited by fishtifer; 03-27-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    Wow, what a day - My boss brings me a big slice of leftover pizza (since he knows how much I love pizza) and we get 2 new NIN releases! Unfortunately the pizza was better than the NIN - What is this, leftovers from their soundtrack work? The cancelled Pixar movie soundtrack? This release does not come close to what the first Ghosts was, I cannot believe the elitist NIN fans are praising it in the new Ghosts forum. What's next, Atticus will follow Trent around his house one day recording him doing chores and the fans will be all "oh, I love track 5 - I feel like I'm right there doing the dishes with Trent". Honestly, it seems that everything I used to love sucks now - the world can go ahead and end already....
    Maybe this is more your speed:

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Honestly, it seems that everything I used to love sucks now - the world can go ahead and end already....
    Hang in there man. We still have... PIZZA!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Wow, what a day - My boss brings me a big slice of leftover pizza (since he knows how much I love pizza) and we get 2 new NIN releases! Unfortunately the pizza was better than the NIN - What is this, leftovers from their soundtrack work? The cancelled Pixar movie soundtrack? This release does not come close to what the first Ghosts was, I cannot believe the elitist NIN fans are praising it in the new Ghosts forum. What's next, Atticus will follow Trent around his house one day recording him doing chores and the fans will be all "oh, I love track 5 - I feel like I'm right there doing the dishes with Trent". Honestly, it seems that everything I used to love sucks now - the world can go ahead and end already....
    cancelled Pixar movie? you mean the one coming out (ostensibly) this year?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought I read somewhere that one of their upcoming soundtracks got cancelled - I can't keep up with them all anymore. Sorry guys, I was sooo excited for more Ghosts albums and was disappointed that it's just more of the same soundtrack stuff they've been doing for the past few years. I'm also getting worried that NIN has been my favorite band for the past 25 years but I haven't liked any of their albums since Hesitation Marks in 2013 even though that one had some real stinkers, but it was the last time I heard some songs that knocked my socks off...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm also getting worried that NIN has been my favorite band for the past 25 years but I haven't liked any of their albums since Hesitation Marks in 2013 even though that one had some real stinkers, but it was the last time I heard some songs that knocked my socks off...
    Maybe it's time to move on then?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Maybe it's time to move on then?
    If only it were that easy - I don't want to miss out on a great album or tour (I was lucky to see them on the last tour!).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Play The Goddamned Part and I'm Not From This World are fantastic tracks and while it's possible my opinion may change, I presently feel that they have more identity and staying power than anything on Ghosts V-VI.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I’ve yet to listen to it, but pretty sure that’s going to be my feeling on this as well. Kind of over the Trent/Atticus moody soundtrack stuff at this point.

Yeah... this is NOT good.

I was afraid to post in the actual Ghosts V-VI thread and get shit on, so I came here to see if anyone had posted anything "controversial" about this release yet. I'm glad I am not alone here. My Instagram feed was cluttered with everyone fanboying about great of a day this is, and all I saw was "Ghosts V to VI" to know I wasn't gonna like it.

I'm glad Trent is still being productive and doing what he does best, making music... but as @Helpmeiaminhell said, would it kill the man to throw in a couple songs with lyrics into these long instrumental albums.
    I for one, don't like his soundtrack work. There, I said it. I can't stand it. I try to get into it, but I can't. This is more of the same. I feel bad saying it too, but man... this isn't for me. I'm disappointed.

I don't even think these should be classified as part of the Ghosts series. I can't help but get the feeling these are just scrapped soundtrack cuts edited a bit and re-released under NIN for a quick project for them to do while under quarantine. Hopefully a real NIN release with lyrics and crushing beats comes out later this year too. Oh well...

I sound angry lol, but at the end of the day I'm not gonna lose any sleep over not liking these records. I gave them a spin, not for me. Just wanted to quickly say my piece. Plenty of other music other there for me to digest. Happy to all that the surprise release of these made their day and got them through the day.

Just glad to see I'm not the only one here who just feels kinda "meh" about these.

He could have been referring to the cancelled Women in the Window score.

https://collider.com/trent-reznor-at...ore-cancelled/
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-27-2020 at 02:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Free or not, the ghosting of the Ghosts download is a total shit show. Several hours-long "Authorizing Payment" sessions, and each time...nothing.

I would have paid $20 for better service.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Yeah... this is NOT good.

He could have been referring to the cancelled Women in the Window score.

https://collider.com/trent-reznor-at...ore-cancelled/
    Yeah - that's the one I was talking about. At least before they would have the soundtrack work separated as "Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross" and you didn't have to rush to listen to it because you knew what you were going to get. Calling this release Nine Inch Nails??? There is nothing here I would want to listen to in my car and I wouldn't want to annoy my coworkers with it at the office either - they would be all like "what the fuck are you listening to?" - It's the new NIN - they used to be really good. #NOTMYNIN

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Damn, you can not like the music. That's fine.

Calling people who do enjoy this type of music ("praising it") elitists while participating in your own circlejerk is fucking hilarious, though.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Damn, you can not like the music. That's fine.

Calling people who do enjoy this type of music ("praising it") elitists while participating in your own circlejerk is fucking hilarious, though.
    seriously. there's nothing wrong with not liking something, there's nothing wrong with being critical of it, but berating or putting down people who like it is so unnecessary.

unless a thing someone likes is deeply problematic (i.e. racist, homophobic, transphobic, sexist, classist, etc.) you have no call to make them feel bad for liking it. yeah, nickelback sucks, and i might jokingly make fun of someone for liking it, but acting like i'm better than them? nah, we just have different taste.

sorry you don't like the new, free, 2.5 hours of music we got out of nowhere. that sucks, because i wish you liked it! but don't make me feel like i'm stupid for liking it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    People, seriously: R-E-L-A-X.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    People, seriously: R-E-L-A-X.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The complaints about no lyrics are baffling to me. There's tons of music with Trent singing words he wrote, and clearly this music is coming from a place where he and Atticus would rather let the music speak for itself. I mean, do you guys listen to Side 2 of Bowie's Low and say "gee, I like the music, but I wish he would actually SING something"? Honestly, if you can't get into a mood or headspace without lyrics telling you how to feel, I feel kind of sorry for you.

Also, if you hated Ghosts I-IV, why the fuck would you complain about Ghosts V-VI not having lyrics?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 03-27-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I was about to say the same thing. We got ambient music at this particular juncture, because ambient can be very calming. I use it all the time when I need to chill.
    Last edited by piggy; 03-27-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The complaints about no lyrics are baffling to me.
    Many most likely get into the band because of liking Trent's voice and being able to connect with and relate to his lyrics. A cool sonic backdrop may be secondary to that for those people. If we can't hear him, that connection is lost. Nine Inch Nails is a rock band first and foremost. Guy up-front sings. Simple as that.

That, plus it's coming up to two years since Bad Witch. Sure, he's released soundtrack work since then. An absolute glut of it. I'm sure the controversial vocal few are not alone in being a bit bored of instrumentals at this point. I know I am.

I can't speak for the quality of Ghosts V-VI. My depression is such that I can't even be bothered to download it. Reading the responses here, where comparisons are drawn between this and the last X number of soundtrack works, that just wants me want to skip it completely. The line, it seems, has blurred between NIN and TR&AR. However, I might be more actively interested if it had vocals. As it is, it's a shrug and a "meh".

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I mean, do you guys listen to Side 2 of Bowie's Low and say "gee, I like the music, but I wish he would actually SING something"?
    Fuck yes I do. Low was his best album and it would be 10 times better if he did vocals on more than 5 songs. My good friend is a hardcore Bowie fan and owns every album, demo and bootleg and it drives him crazy that Low and Heroes are half instrumental.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Nine Inch Nails is a rock band first and foremost. Guy up-front sings. Simple as that.
    Eh, that's a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at it in my opinion, especially when you consider all that's influenced Trent & Atticus. They're clearly not interested in making digestible rock anthems all the time. They like to get weird and make stuff that doesn't always conform to what people expect them to put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Fuck yes I do. Low was his best album and it would be 10 times better if he did vocals on more than 5 songs.
    Ay yi yi...