Page 134 of 150 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 136 144 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4498

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

  1. #3991
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I feel that Sunspots has swagger... which can be sexy but it's more about confidence/self-assuredness as I see it. This doesn't take into account lyrics, just the vibe I get from it.... and why I like to play it loudly.
    I agree with this. Swagger is the word that fits.

    TBH I always thought Zero Sum was sexy... mostly the voice he used, but also the self-referential phrase of 'you are the reason' from Closer; but I enjoy how it isn't 'how I stay alive,' but rather 'I am not afraid.'
    Last edited by Magnetic; 09-12-2019 at 06:05 PM.

  2. #3992
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,703
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    What about the synth after “and nothing can stop me now, there is nothing to fear”?!
    the "vacuum cleaner" solo? i actually like that, but its incorporation into the live version of sanctified that started on the 2013 tour was a better use of it.

  3. #3993
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,608
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the "vacuum cleaner" solo? i actually like that, but its incorporation into the live version of sanctified that started on the 2013 tour was a better use of it.
    Pino Palladinos bass on that version of Sanctified was amazing

  4. #3994
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I agree I agree, i'm not talking about here, but if you stray on facebook groups, even r/nin, it can get weird real fast.
    I stumbled into some TR fanfic on Tumblr once. It was not just cringey, but actively upsetting. If you want to write a fanfic about a fictional character with intense sexual descriptions, that's one thing. But to write a fanfic about a real human being with sexual details is really fucked up IMO. I know it's make believe, but it seems like a huge violation to me.

  5. #3995
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    4,343
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    "stumbled"

    uh huh... ;-)

  6. #3996
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    "stumbled"

    uh huh... ;-)
    “I, uhh, like, accidentally fell on a bullet, and it, like, got lodged in my gut.”

    - Snake from The Simpsons

  7. #3997
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    "stumbled"

    uh huh... ;-)
    caught me with my pants down, damn it!
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 09-13-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: I spelled "damn" like a beaver's dam because I'm dumber than shit.

  8. #3998
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    I stumbled into some TR fanfic on Tumblr once. It was not just cringey, but actively upsetting. If you want to write a fanfic about a fictional character with intense sexual descriptions, that's one thing. But to write a fanfic about a real human being with sexual details is really fucked up IMO. I know it's make believe, but it seems like a huge violation to me.
    Jesus H.
    Ya'll kinda up tight these days. Might as well bleach your brain of any sexual fantasy you've ever had of any REAL human being - including women you've looked at naked online or in print. What's the problem here? Oh, oh because it's a dude with a name you know that you respect musically? Ok. Because it was committed to words and not thoughts you had in your mind? WHere the fuck do you draw the line? Seriously, WTF?

    And if you knew it was TR fanfic and it made you 'cringey' why the fuck were you still reading?

    The morality policing here just baffles my brain.

  9. #3999
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Jesus H.
    Ya'll kinda up tight these days. Might as well bleach your brain of any sexual fantasy you've ever had of any REAL human being - including women you've looked at naked online or in print. What's the problem here? Oh, oh because it's a dude with a name you know that you respect musically? Ok. Because it was committed to words and not thoughts you had in your mind? WHere the fuck do you draw the line? Seriously, WTF?

    And if you knew it was TR fanfic and it made you 'cringey' why the fuck were you still reading?

    The morality policing here just baffles my brain.
    I don't think the fantasizing is wrong. Everybody does that and everybody finds something attractive about a stranger at some point in their lives.

    It's writing it down and posting it to the internet that I think is a mistake. You might be right: maybe this is a stupid thing to be bothered by and I don't really have any concrete reason why I think it's a bad idea.

    But all I keep thinking is "what if I had a strange man write down their fantasies about me and post it to the internet with my name attached to it?" For me personally, that would scare the shit out of me. Maybe it doesn't bother him, in which case no harm no foul.

  10. #4000
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,703
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Pino Palladinos bass on that version of Sanctified was amazing
    i actually prefer the version with josh on bass, before pino joined the band, but​ i love the backing vocals that lisa and charlotte brought in later...so i'm torn.

  11. #4001
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Jesus H.
    Ya'll kinda up tight these days. Might as well bleach your brain of any sexual fantasy you've ever had of any REAL human being - including women you've looked at naked online or in print. What's the problem here? Oh, oh because it's a dude with a name you know that you respect musically? Ok. Because it was committed to words and not thoughts you had in your mind? WHere the fuck do you draw the line? Seriously, WTF?

    And if you knew it was TR fanfic and it made you 'cringey' why the fuck were you still reading?

    The morality policing here just baffles my brain.
    Meh for me it's bad when it hinders good discussion, nobody talks about anything good on tumblr so why not post your fanfic there

  12. #4002
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i actually prefer the version with josh on bass, before pino joined the band, but​ i love the backing vocals that lisa and charlotte brought in later...so i'm torn.
    Those two really added something special to the songs they sang on. I didn't even LIKE "Sanctified" until that tour. Between those two and Pino I suddenly loved a song I skipped for two decades.

  13. #4003
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,257
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Because this the controversial opinions thread and we're talking about Sanctified, let me be the dissenting voice and say that the original is so much better in every conceivable way. The cool thing about the 2013 remix is the fact that TR pulled the song out of mothballs after decades of not playing it... but unfortunately, it's not the song I know and love. It's not bad; I still like the 2013 mix, it's just not Sanctified to me anymore.

  14. #4004
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,608
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Because this the controversial opinions thread and we're talking about Sanctified, let me be the dissenting voice and say that the original is so much better in every conceivable way. The cool thing about the 2013 remix is the fact that TR pulled the song out of mothballs after decades of not playing it... but unfortunately, it's not the song I know and love. It's not bad; I still like the 2013 mix, it's just not Sanctified to me anymore.
    Out of interest, have you heard the version from the Bowie tour? It has a totally different and great intro. I love them all but I’ve never felt this massive loyalty to the original version so I’m happy for it to be mixed up a bit


  15. #4005
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,608
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I love that version. It's basically the original with a cool intro. That particular performance is amazing; I've had the entire concert burned to a CD for about 20 years.
    It still KILLS me that my sister, my best friend from school and I, all of who were into NIN, went to New York in October 1995 because we wanted to go there on Halloween without having the slightest clue that NIN were touring with Bowie, not to mention we didn’t even see the Downward Spiral tour in the UK because it was at tiny venues. I blame the lack of internet, we just had no clue. I even looked up my diaries from those years to see what fascinating thing I was doing on the dates from ninlive - absolutely nothing of interest at all

  16. #4006
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,257
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Out of interest, have you heard the version from the Bowie tour? It has a totally different and great intro. I love them all but I’ve never felt this massive loyalty to the original version so I’m happy for it to be mixed up a bit
    I love that version. It's basically the original with a cool intro. That particular performance is amazing; I've had the entire concert burned to a CD for about 20 years.
    The Becoming and the Eraser remix were also mindblowing on that tour. And on top of that, they played Piggy (nothing can stop me now) and Closer To God (not on that date, though). Damn, I wish I had been there.

    For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of remixes if they're done right. The Downward Spiral era did it right.

  17. #4007
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,768
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Those two really added something special to the songs they sang on. I didn't even LIKE "Sanctified" until that tour. Between those two and Pino I suddenly loved a song I skipped for two decades.
    You...
    You didn't like Sanctified?

    I'm likelier to skip head like a hole and down in it than sanctified.

  18. #4008
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You...
    You didn't like Sanctified?

    I'm likelier to skip head like a hole and down in it than sanctified.
    My husband loves Sanctified and thinks i'm nuts for that one too. PHM is my least-favorite NIN album overall, which I know is a heretical statement to make on the NINternet. My favorite songs from that album (Terrible Lie, Something I Can Never Have etc) I LOVE the live versions of, and don't really listen to the original recordings. Head Like a Hole is maybe the only song I like in its original recorded form.

    I've never really understood why, and couldn't put my finger on what it is. It's not like it's a bad album, just my least favorite.

    If I had to guess, it's because I was a teenager when The Fragile came out, so I tend to listen to The Fragile and all the work after that far more often than I do everything that came before it. I think a lot of people tend to connect the most with music that marked their Middle School/High School/College years, and for me that was The Fragile, WT and YZ.

  19. #4009
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,768
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    I didn't want to assume, about the age, @eachpassingphase , but I figured as much. For me it was Broken and Fixed in middle school, and backtracking to PHM, and then waiting for TDS to come out, and it came out when I was a freshman in HS, you know?

    So I can understand.

  20. #4010
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,608
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ugh, sadly I’m too old to have ever listened to NIN at high school, I got into them right from the first album in 1991/92 and I was already 19.

  21. #4011
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,071
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    My husband loves Sanctified and thinks i'm nuts for that one too. PHM is my least-favorite NIN album overall, which I know is a heretical statement to make on the NINternet. My favorite songs from that album (Terrible Lie, Something I Can Never Have etc) I LOVE the live versions of, and don't really listen to the original recordings. Head Like a Hole is maybe the only song I like in its original recorded form.

    I've never really understood why, and couldn't put my finger on what it is. It's not like it's a bad album, just my least favorite.

    If I had to guess, it's because I was a teenager when The Fragile came out, so I tend to listen to The Fragile and all the work after that far more often than I do everything that came before it. I think a lot of people tend to connect the most with music that marked their Middle School/High School/College years, and for me that was The Fragile, WT and YZ.
    I was also a teenager when The Fragile came out and it actually held my attention and interest much more than Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and The Downward Spiral. I have also thought about that as well, with Nine Inch Nails and music in general. People in general tend to be fans of music that came out before they were born, during their childhood or adolescence, or their early 20s and not a day over 25 at the latest.

    And while this is common sense in some ways, I think that's why it was nearly impossible for me to find Nine Inch Nails fans born any time beyond 1995 or 1999. From the looks of it, the youngest Nine Inch Nails fans as of the 2010s are usually still older than The Downward Spiral. And not that they don't exist, as I've seen a few fans here admit that they were younger than The Fragile, but it's still just much more rare, since the majority of fans on ETS seem to have been born in the 1970s and 1980s. Even then, it also seems like most of the fans born in the 1980s were also born before 1985, and it's even much more likely to find fans born before 1970 than after 1990-1993 as well.

    As for Pretty Hate Machine, it's still one of my favorite albums of all time, but I could still very much understand and accept why it would be far from a fan favorite for some. The lion's share of fan love still goes to TDS and TF anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I didn't want to assume, about the age, @eachpassingphase , but I figured as much. For me it was Broken and Fixed in middle school, and backtracking to PHM, and then waiting for TDS to come out, and it came out when I was a freshman in HS, you know?

    So I can understand.
    There's just a thought that I could've been a fan if I had a chance to listen to The Downward Spiral when it came out from any friends if such a thing every happened around ages 9 to 11 at the very least. I'm sure I would've loved it back then in elementary school, but no such chance ever occurred to me. Most people I knew used cassettes more than CDs so I sometimes like to imagined what it would've been like to have checked out TDS on cassette back then. (And then Broken and PHM.)

    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Ugh, sadly I’m too old to have ever listened to NIN at high school, I got into them right from the first album in 1991/92 and I was already 19.
    That was almost the case with me as I was also very late to the game. I even had a chance the check out The Fragile when it first came out, or at least any time during 2000. I wish I had the chance and was encouraged by the very same friend that got me into NIN in 2002 as I just turned 17. He admitted he just wasn't to sure if I would be into it, but I'm so thankful he gave me a chance to know about NIN after he knew that I ended up like Marilyn Manson in 2002.

    But the thought of it yet again, just like with my imaginary younger self when TDS came out at the time ironically fills me with regret and imaginary joy/delight at the same time. Back in 2000, I had many fond memories listening to Korn, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock and Eminem a lot. The Fragile would've been easily the perfect album to have me put through into that year, just knowing how much I'd have a blast checking out the discography in reverse with PHM, Broken and TDS. It would've been absolutely and unequivocally more than ideal for my 14 year old self.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-15-2019 at 01:40 PM.

  22. #4012
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    There are younger fans on the NIN subreddit. I think single-topic message boards like ETS tend to skew older, while places like Reddit have a more diverse age range. But yeah, the fanbase seems to predominately be folks born in the late 70's/early 80's (people who would have been teens/young adults during TDS).

    I definitely saw a lot of older teenagers at the Memphis show for most recent tour. I was REALLY excited for that, because when I saw them in KC for the With Teeth tour, I was one of the youngest people there and I was 18 at the time. I remember waiting in the early-entrance waiting area for Spiral members and feeling like a dopey little kid. There weren't as many girls/women then as there seems to be now either.

    I'd be interested to see if the audience continues to morph with Trent's recent influx of pop cultural influences (Black Mirror,

  23. #4013
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,768
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post

    I'd be interested to see if the audience continues to morph with Trent's recent influx of pop cultural influences (Black Mirror,
    I THINK it will, in terms of age, at least, what with NIN becoming more visible.

    I also think it's already happening to some extent.

    Like, I'm pretty sure there are middle schoolers who are the weird kids listening to Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana and NIN, thinking they were born in the wrong generation, in the same way that, in the early nineties, I was INSANELY obsessed with Led Zeppelin and Rush, and listening to old Heart and The Police and whatnot.

  24. #4014
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    674
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    There are younger fans on the NIN subreddit. I think single-topic message boards like ETS tend to skew older, while places like Reddit have a more diverse age range. But yeah, the fanbase seems to predominately be folks born in the late 70's/early 80's (people who would have been teens/young adults during TDS).

    I definitely saw a lot of older teenagers at the Memphis show for most recent tour. I was REALLY excited for that, because when I saw them in KC for the With Teeth tour, I was one of the youngest people there and I was 18 at the time. I remember waiting in the early-entrance waiting area for Spiral members and feeling like a dopey little kid. There weren't as many girls/women then as there seems to be now either.

    I'd be interested to see if the audience continues to morph with Trent's recent influx of pop cultural influences (Black Mirror,
    r/nin seems to be quite varied yeah, too bad the mods there don't organize anything within the community, there's a lot that could be done with all those types of people in one place. A weekly sticky goes a long way to make people.. talk.

  25. #4015
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    r/nin seems to be quite varied yeah, too bad the mods there don't organize anything within the community, there's a lot that could be done with all those types of people in one place. A weekly sticky goes a long way to make people.. talk.
    It was unofficially T-Shirt Time for a while there.

    *it’s t-shirt time*

  26. #4016
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    4,343
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

  27. #4017
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,257
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    It was unofficially T-Shirt Time for a while there.
    What the fuck is the world coming to?

  28. #4018
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    just came from the future and just wanted to tell you that tomorrow's post at nin.com about the fragile turning 20 years was/is a little plain

  29. #4019
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    In this twilight
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Because this the controversial opinions thread and we're talking about Sanctified, let me be the dissenting voice and say that the original is so much better in every conceivable way. The cool thing about the 2013 remix is the fact that TR pulled the song out of mothballs after decades of not playing it... but unfortunately, it's not the song I know and love. It's not bad; I still like the 2013 mix, it's just not Sanctified to me anymore.
    Come on, tell me you at least love that bass.

  30. #4020
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, this is the controversial NIN opinions, so here goes... 20 years ago when The Fragile was released, I remember a very strange mixed feeling of "Yeah... this sounds awesome (I was an aspiring sound engineer at the time) but it kinda misses the point..." I found at the time - and my opinion hasn't really changed - that the songs had really good production but didn't talk to me on any level like the three previous records did. TDS, PHM and Broken had a huge influence on my life (TDS is the reason I became a sound engineer), those records helped me through some nasty personal stuff. But somehow, I always felt disconnected when listening o The Fragile. I understand some of the themes, but a lot of this record seems too "obvious" lyrically and the layering of sounds lacked the poetry and forceful impact of TDS. I really didn't want TR to repeat the same record, don't get me wrong, and I didn't have special expectations : I was just really happy to listen to new NIN material. But somehow I could never click with The Fragile as a work of art - although I still recognize all of its musical and technical merits.
    Then a few years ago, I discovered the instrumental versions (Deviations) and suddenly I felt deeply impacted by the music and sound layers, the profound madness behind the "production" (a word still strangely used to talk about the construction of the emotional impact of a song). Of course, the passing of time and the experience of growing up plays a role in the change of perception, but I also realized that I thought the record was better to me without lyrics, as if TR's discourse hit me way more musically than lyrically.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions