Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1404

Thread: "Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    People are talking about it being in a major key - I really don't know anything technically about music - what does this mean?
    I'm not formally versed with music theory firsthand, but with enough knowledge and experience in playing in bands with classically trained musicians, I realize it really can be much more complicated than major = happy & minor = sad. That's the beauty of music, straight up. But, songs completely in major can be more easily directed to a clearly happy spectrum of emotions. In a little shell, that's my take on that. Music still lends to be too complicated to be broken down though, particularly with the emotional reception aspect. That's why lyrics act as a sail for a certain direction, when they're present.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-20-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    In a nutshell, youve got it.^^^

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    People are talking about it being in a major key - I really don't know anything technically about music - what does this mean?
    Wikipedia, of course, has all kinds of technical details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_and_minor

For a pretty dramatic idea of how they differ sonically, the videos here are pretty excellent: http://vimeo.com/majorscaledtv (they digitally re-tuned some famous minor-key songs into major)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I'm going to have to listen to it in FLAC, and I'll want to read the lyrics. But at the moment I'm as shocked as anyone. And my gut reaction is a sort of dislike—the same sort of feeling I had for The Decemberists' The King Is Dead: This is just fine, but it's not what I come to this band for. Which is to say, I wouldn't go to Arby's and bitch about the broiled fish they served that day. I've never bought a bottle of scotch and complained it wasn't tequila, but I would be vaguely disappointed if I bought a bottle of scotch and found it only contained plain Irish whiskey. If y'all catch my drift. I'm confused and not as initially ecstatic as I was with "Copy of A." But I don't hate it.

EDIT: I should actually also mention here that, once I figured out what it was supposed to be, so to speak, I came to quite like The King Is Dead. The artist challenged me by doing something relatively unpredictable and once I caught up, it turned out to be something totally respectable even if it wasn't my personal favorite composition.

And, for whomever it was who said we heard this out of context of the album, I think that's probably a sensible thing to keep in mind. It might be worth noting that, assuming "The Eater of Dreams" and "Black Noise" are intro/outro instrumentals and everything else is a vocal track, this is the shortest song on the album, and in its dead center. I honestly don't see Trent releasing what would, in critical analysis terms, be called a comedy (i.e., Merchant of Venice is technically a comedy because everything ends just wonderfully even though it's kind of grisly and bleak in a number of places and doesn't smack of the Jim Carrey shit most people associate with the word "comedy"), I suspect this might be a wonderful contrapuntal eye of the storm type thing. I haven't heard "Disappointed," but sandwiched between something that sounds so positively upbeat as that and something more sour and lonely (which a song called "Satellite" could very well be), it might not be one's favorite Nine Inch Nails song, but it might serve a damned good purpose. Or I could be totally wrong. The song titles before "Everything" seem much more undeniably bleak than the ones after it. So, maybe it will be an LP that ends happily. Which in itself would be an interesting idea to close out the Nine Inch Nails career.

Of course, I'm going on nothing but pulled-from-ass speculation, a very basic idea of dramatic structure, what I know of the way Trent seems to like to structure things, and a number of single-word song titles here.

For all we know, maybe he wrote it as a big "fuck you" to Interscope for that Greatest Hits LP. Like "Cocksucker Blues." "Yeah, Interscope, I've got your new track right here, assholes. Enjoy it. The kids over at the Death Cab for Cutie camp said it was a bit too chipper." However, I doubt that. And suspect that, given a little while, I'll like it just fine. It may never be "And All That Could Have Been" in my book but, hell, I genuinely enjoy "Maybe Just Once" and "Purest Feeling." And it's neat to see Trent do something that's really ballsy considering his fanbase. An album with no guitars, or no synth, or no layers, or live drums might all be different, but none of them inherently defy pretty much everything his long-time devotees have come to see as sine qua non of Nine Inch Nails. Something earnest and possibly even optimistic is maybe the biggest risk he could take with the audience he's got.
    Very well written. Have to say, I pretty much agree. I actually love the track, I just expect something like that to come from Duran Duran or The Cure... Got to hand it to TRez, he's has a huge set of nutz for this....

And I'm glad we got this song out of the way and can still faithfully look forward to the rest of the LP

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I gotta be honest. To the people who love this song, it makes me wonder if they are hardcore true and true NIN fans or wayward Foo Fighters/Linkin Park fans who like that "fuck you like an animal" song....The other new songs I have heard have been very impressive, but this is truly the epitome of shit. It sounds like Avril Lavigne meets bad late 80s New Order...The people defending this song are going to feel really stupid in a year or two, because this song has already taken on Metallica "Load"/Until It Sleeps" status....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's been a lot of bitching about 'Everything'.... Truth is, most of us would love the tune if it were written and sang by Robert Smith and The Cure.. Fact that it's coming from TRez shows he has a tremendous set of balls, shows diversity, and shows he really does what he wants, regardless of possible impact..

That said, it's not one of my favorite NIN tunes, but it certainly doesn't suck. And I'm glad we got that toothache out of the way so we can all enjoy our candy in a couple weeks

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I bet he specifically recorded this song and named it everything so everyone would say "I hate everything"
    and thus the true purpose of his band is revealed, to make everyone hate everything.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I gotta be honest. To the people who love this song, it makes me wonder if they are hardcore true and true NIN fans or wayward Foo Fighters/Linkin Park fans who like that "fuck you like an animal" song....The other new songs I have heard have been very impressive, but this is truly the epitome of shit. It sounds like Avril Lavigne meets bad late 80s New Order...The people defending this song are going to feel really stupid in a year or two, because this song has already taken on Metallica "Load"/Until It Sleeps" status....
    I can't deal with you right now.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv > your post.

Quote Originally Posted by True Fallacy View Post
    There's been a lot of bitching about 'Everything'.... Truth is, most of us would love the tune if it were written and sang by Robert Smith and The Cure.. Fact that it's coming from TRez shows he has a tremendous set of balls, shows diversity, and shows he really does what he wants, regardless of possible impact..

That said, it's not one of my favorite NIN tunes, but it certainly doesn't suck. And I'm glad we got that toothache out of the way so we can all enjoy our candy in a couple weeks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    To the people who love this song, it makes me wonder if they are hardcore true and true NIN fans or wayward Foo Fighters/Linkin Park fans who like that "fuck you like an animal" song....
    Dude, take a deep breath and repeat after me: "Different people like different music." I'm not going to feel stupid in a year or two because my initial reaction to a poppy-sounding NIN track was one of enjoyment, and I don't need your seal of approval to consider myself a "hardcore true and true NIN fan." I totally dig the track, you totally don't. Somehow both of us are NIN fans, even though we have different reactions to the same track. So just chill and try to stay away from the character attacks, k?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, I've listened to NIN and considered them my favorite band for 15 years now, since I was 11. Been to see them in concert 5 times. I'm surely not a "real fan."

Get the fuck over yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Guys, stop bitching and look at this setlist

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    In the grand scheme of things, I think its one bad song, its no big deal, I still have high hopes for the album...There are people who seem to be suicidal over this song, which is crazy. Go read the fb comments or youtube comments. My only point was people defending this song are going to be looked at the same way as people who still defend Al Jourgensen and Ministry's new albums or the people who defend St Anger and Load....

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Funny that you bring up Closer in an example of wayward fans, cause that's what I feel like quite a few of the people who hate Everything look for in a Nine Inch Nails track.

I can recall people acting the same way when Year Zero came out. "What the fuck? This is too this. This is too that. If you like this, then you can't be a TRUE Nine Inch Nails fan." As if being a fan is some sort of religion where you have to abstain from liking certain things. I didn't buy into it then and I sure as hell am not going to buy into it now.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 08-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"hardcore true and true NIN fans" ... you're fucking with us, right?

EDIT: "this is truly the epitome of shit" -- my god, this is the funniest post I've ever read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you're complaining about people who like the "fuck you like an animal" song, maybe I should complain about the people who like corn starch and leather pants and fishnet leggings. It goes both ways. You're the caricature of a Grateful Dead roadie at this point.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If you think "true fans" exist, you're a cunt and your opinion on all things is invalid.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The fact that you're even aware of "eras of Metallica" means everyone who likes Everything has better taste than you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ive been a nails fan since like, '93. By fan i mean, my favorite band. I havent like EVERY song. I just posted in the least favorite songs thread. But EVERYTHING is not one of them and its nowhere even close. In fact, I love it, and ten years down the road it will be nowhere near as bad as bad metallica territory.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post

EDIT: Come to think of it, does anyone have access to that plug in? What does this song sound like if you make it minor key??? Curious! haha.
    How many semi-tones down do you want me to tweak it? I tried -2.5 and it.. sort of worked... it's .. I dunno.... odd. I think there's probably a better number and I know nothing about trying to convert keys like this. I only found ideas on how to convert within minor or major and not shift to the opposite.

Also.. I didn't stretch it at all, so it was the same duration, different pitch. Slowing it down will probably take off some of the happy edge too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I hate Metallica, but I am well aware of their history. I remember when they put out Load, how Phil Anselmo called them "sell out faggots" onstage and how they abandoned their fans etc....who cares man, this song has a ton of haters, Im not gonna wave the flag and be the leader for all the haters. I take it all back...its the best song TR has ever written. Its better than EVERYTHING on The Fragile and Downward Spiral....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    How many semi-tones down do you want me to tweak it? I tried -2.5 and it.. sort of worked... it's .. I dunno.... odd. I think there's probably a better number and I know nothing about trying to convert keys like this. I only found ideas on how to convert within minor or major and not shift to the opposite.

Also.. I didn't stretch it at all, so it was the same duration, different pitch. Slowing it down will probably take off some of the happy edge too.
    thanks for trying, but sadly, it's not going to be about turning it down semi-tones, that's still going to preserve the scale relationship. a group online has done it with a few songs (including, ironically metallica). It appears that it was done with melodyne and it looks like a bitch:

http://evolver.fm/2013/01/24/how-maj...gion-was-made/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    There's been a lot of bitching about 'Everything'.... Truth is, most of us would love the tune if it were written and sang by Robert Smith and The Cure..
    No, because it doesn't do a good job being a good Cure rip off.

It's a bad song, end of story.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I hate Metallica, but I am well aware of their history. I remember when they put out Load, how Phil Anselmo called them "sell out faggots" ....
    The fact that you're aware of Metallica's history, somehow approve of that horrendously offensive quote, or like Pantera, means everyone who likes Everything has better taste than you.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Yep.

"Everything" is like the ugly girl in the hot girl posse - only there to make everyone else look that much better.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MY ANTI-EVERYTHING POSSE IS BACK. I guess ya'll stopped cutting yourself in the bathroom while listening to "Eraser" for the 973985739857943 time.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quick update: Looks like the band will be doing a promotional tie-in with Pepsi. Collect the caps off 400 bottles of Pepsi and you can enter for a chance to win a signed copy of the Everything single!

Also, glad to know that the TRUE fans of Nine Inch Nails aren't falling for this malarky. I hope you guys made sure you signed the e-petition to keep it off the album. After all, the TRUE fans have to stick together to keep the poseurs out. Together we can make a difference!

EDIT: I think a hunger strike is in order. It's not enough to just spew our hatred on a message board like diarrhea. We have to show them we mean BUSINESS.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 08-20-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    The fact that you're aware of Metallica's history, somehow approve of that horrendously offensive quote, or like Pantera, means everyone who likes Everything has better taste than you.
    whoa there, Pantera is pretty cool. let's not throw the baby out with the bath water

that said, I ALSO think some of the "bad era" Metallica is pretty cool. FUCK I guess I have bad taste! But I'm also not crazy about Everything! FUCK - I'M TOO MUCH OF AN INDIVIDUAL FOR THIS SHIT

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I fucking LOVE Pantera. ZOMG, someone who likes metal bands is a NIN fan!

::shrugs::

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ITT we have pop leaning NIN fans and metal leaning NIN fans. At least we got a more diverse group than fourtheye.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Bill - are you more hardcore than me? I mean, you're using the avatar I made from the Fragility Europe tour itinerary. I'm willing to bet you've never held a European tour itinerary in your hand. You're using that avatar on the board I rebuilt from scratch a couple of years ago, after the board I helped administrate for almost a decade gave up the ghost. I mean, how do you define hardcore? Is it how many shows you've been to? Is it how many albums you own? How many times you've met Trent Reznor? How many NIN shirts you have? How many twitter followers you have? Is it just your age?

Just shut up dude. We get it. You don't like the song, and now you've got some superiority complex about it. That no hardcore true NIN fans (or 'just' true NIN fans) could like the song.

You really have no idea where you are, do you? You're in the wrong neighborhood, amigo.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    ITT we have pop leaning NIN fans and metal leaning NIN fans. At least we got a more diverse group than fourtheye.
    I actually think it's pretty diverse over there. Most of the "fans" (heh) seem to hate their favorite band at the time though. :P

I like Fourtheye, post from time to time but mostly lurk.