Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1404

Thread: "Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Has the Autolux Remix been uploaded anywhere yet from the Japanese edition?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I keep on asking because maybe it's an improvement on the album version and people will replace it with the remix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aside from 'Everything', I think this is a pretty dark album. Definitely not as dark as TDS, Broken, or even With Teeth, but I mean...if you were a brand new fan whose first NIN listen was this album, you'd probably find it dark.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 420swaglord69 View Post
    trent's wife defends this music in studio
    i know it god damnit
    "yo trent, this song blows assholes"
    "don't listen to atticus honey, sing your heart's song"
    I laughed, hard. I should probably feel bad. Still kinda hilarious. And it's 2 AM.

Sorry.

NOW WHERE'S THA MOTHA EFFIN' VIDEO DAMMIT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is this song about relapse? I like how Trent made it ambiguous, its not quite so sweet after all.
    Its like he is saying fuck everything i wanna get high. And he is happy about it. And im not ashamed.

It reminds me of that song by The La's - There She Goes,... everyone thought it was a lovely little pop ditty about a sweet blonde girl, infact it was about junkie Lee Mavers shooting Heroin,, and it pulsing through his veins.
    Towards the end of this track Trent says 'i am free' and this sort of hazy euphoric distortion comes in like he is sinking into something. 'Ive become something else', being in a narcotic state thinking your jesus etc.
    It goes both ways its not preachy, i think its one of the best track's on the album. Its does what With Teeth and The Slip were trying to do production wise but it does it better.
    Fucking Beautiful, sounds like something from record label 4AD.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is this video gonna suffer the EDIETS fate? I wonder.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I'm wondering if the reaction to the song has changed his mind on anything. I hope not.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm wondering if the reaction to the song has changed his mind on anything. I hope not.
    Doubtful. He intended to push some buttons and get people talking, and that's what he got.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    In the NPR interview though he sounded kinda taken aback and surprised by the reactions though.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    as with "came back haunted," i like this song more and more every time i hear it (i liked it the first time, anyway), and i think it fits perfectly on the album. i really don't get what everyone's gripe is.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Man, even Trent thinks Everything is not okay.

Ba dum ts.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Everything is a great song.
    No one would say a word if it was on With Teeth, it fits there just perfectly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    His voice crack in the beginning is one of the best things about this song, you crazies. A favorite off HM. In the style of "NSPN", "Getting Smaller", etc. but arguably more dynamic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    His voice crack in the beginning is one of the best things about this song, you crazies. A favorite off HM. In the style of "NSPN", "Getting Smaller", etc. but arguably more dynamic.
    This! I love that little bit of fire in his throat as the "survived" lyric stretches out.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Heh.

Have you heard the autolux remix yet? Because I have no problems with the vocals in this song or really anything else about the song. But the beginning of that remix, I cringed a little on the inside. (If you haven't, there's a youtube link for it on here somewhere. I think on the HM thread)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Man, even Trent thinks Everything is not okay.

Ba dum ts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDeathMachine View Post
    Aside from 'Everything', I think this is a pretty dark album. Definitely not as dark as TDS, Broken, or even With Teeth, but I mean...if you were a brand new fan whose first NIN listen was this album, you'd probably find it dark.
    So it's Dark, Lite. The Diet Cola of Dark...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyrifts View Post
    So it's Dark, Lite. The Diet Cola of Dark...
    It's Downward Spiral One. Crystal Spiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDeathMachine View Post
    It's Downward Spiral One. Crystal Spiral.
    Broken Zero.
    TDS Max.
    [With_Splenda]

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I have a friend who, when we would make jokes he didn't think were funny, would retort with "not enough hyperbole".
    That's what Everything is lacking, to me. Reznor's explanation is fine, I'm okay with another bipolar song like that, but the chorus doesn't emphasize this at all. If you don't know what Reznor had in mind when he wrote it, it just sounds like the song goes from pop rock to power pop, then pop rock again. The chorus doesn't really sound broken, or foreboding, or whatever Trent meant it to be, if you take the song at face value. And in my opinion, you shouldn't have to rely on extra info to "get" what a song is about.
    I like Everything just fine, but it misses its mark to me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I have a friend who, when we would make jokes he didn't think were funny, would retort with "not enough hyperbole".
    That's what Everything is lacking, to me. Reznor's explanation is fine, I'm okay with another bipolar song like that, but the chorus doesn't emphasize this at all. If you don't know what Reznor had in mind when he wrote it, it just sounds like the song goes from pop rock to power pop, then pop rock again. The chorus doesn't really sound broken, or foreboding, or whatever Trent meant it to be, if you take the song at face value. And in my opinion, you shouldn't have to rely on extra info to "get" what a song is about.
    I like Everything just fine, but it misses its mark to me.
    I understand what you're saying but respectfully disagree.

Maybe it's because I'm a NIN superfan and I know what he meant without the explanation...I don't know. When I first heard it, the first chorus had me *think* as it was fairly jarring sounding. I was definitely whipped around enough. In essence, I think the verses are so out in left field in every way that they make the choruses even darker than if they were a part of a whole menacing sound.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-07-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Today I had a friend say the verses are autotuned.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    Today I had a friend say the verses are autotuned.

Thoughts?
    What's their evidence?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    What's their evidence?
    Based on hearing the song.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Hm, the NIN Hotline just tweeted something which referenced the "now-mythical @SHYNOLAfilms video for Everything." Do we know if the video's been officially canned, or were we just assuming that based on the lack of any video?

Relatedly, I do hope we get to hear this live - I think it could be a real monster.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    Hm, the NIN Hotline just tweeted something which referenced the "now-mythical @SHYNOLAfilms video for Everything." Do we know if the video's been officially canned, or were we just assuming that based on the lack of any video?

Relatedly, I do hope we get to hear this live - I think it could be a real monster.
    Sony/Columbia put out a press release for Hesitation Marks a few weeks ago stating that a video for Everything produced by Shynola would be released the week the album came out. That was the first and last official word seen about the topic.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Listened to the album last night for the first time. I don't get why this track caused such a furore. Sounds okay to me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I hope the video isn't canned but it wouldn't surprise me after all the shit it got. I'm still surprised though that people thought it was that cheesy, or different from other NIN tracks. It's the perfect pop song in the way that THTF and Discipline failed IMO, and without losing NIN's identity and integrity. It also feels like Trent really needed to write this song contrary to "needed to write a commercial track" (hint: discipline/thtf).

Well, if he does can this video, I think he should hire Chris Cunningham to direct videos for In Two and Copy of a.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Shame too. Shynola did a great job with HTDA. TBH, I was not crazy about "How Long" at first. The video made me like the song more.
    I liked "Everything" a lot right off the bat. It was just a bit jarring to hear at first. A shock. Its really easy to have a knee-jerk reaction when you have been conditioned to expect something for 20 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel that the 'rejuvenation' work he did on PHM took him back a few years and you can really hear the early NIN on this new record. I like.