Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1404

Thread: "Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    reminds me of neon trees.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I'm not referring to the music at all, only the fanbase. Honestly, I'm just surprised. Before I joined ETS I thought NIN fans leaned waaaaaaaay heavier (y'know, given the whole industrial rock break shit thing in the 90's); clearly I was wrong.
    It's certainly reasonable to assume that a NIN fan is going to enjoy "leaning heavier," so to speak, but the thing is that musical tastes can be diverse. Sure, I love NIN. They're my #1 band played on the things I use to track my listening habits (last.fm plus some homegrown stuff). The rest of my top 10, though, includes stuff like They Might Be Giants and The Fiery Furnaces. You don't have to dig down too deep to get stuff like MC Frontalot and Mike Doughty and Regina Spektor. Just because someone loves heavier music doesn't mean that they've got no ability to appreciate stuff that's NOT heavy. I mean heck, even in NIN's camp you've got stuff like A Warm Place showing up in the midst of the heaviest shit imaginable, and that's been considered a NIN-fan live show holy grail for ages. And that's even before we got six discs of Ghosts+soundtrack work.

Liking (or even loving) Everything doesn't mean that you've somehow forsaken the rest of what makes up NIN, it just means that you're into other stuff, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying, Krazy. My hangup really has to do with it being chosen as a single, therefor assigned its own Halo. That puts it out on a different level than just being an exploratory album track - which until "Everything" there has never been one that I straight up didn't like or skip on an album. That is not true, I do skip the Adrian Sherwood mix of Starfuckers on TFA

My favorite album of all time happens to be "Pet Sounds" but I am not a fan of "Everything" at all. I am also not limited to angry/dark music and I never expect dark/angry music from each new NIN, but he has carefully created a color palate that has always been of certain shades. To me "Everything" is more shocking that TR would release it as NIN and as a single, but that doesn't make it a great track in my humble opinion especially with the always brilliant production.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm not referring to the music at all, only the fanbase. Honestly, I'm just surprised. Before I joined ETS I thought NIN fans leaned waaaaaaaay heavier (y'know, given the whole industrial rock break shit thing in the 90's); clearly I was wrong.
    You think Everything sounds like a track by One Direction. Who gives a rat's ass what you consider "heavy"?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rboggs View Post
    After coming home and listening to it again after locking myself in my work bathroom and getting the shit shocked out of me, I gotta say, I like it.

Better than "How Long"
    strange. I love "How Long'.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    You think Everything sounds like a track by One Direction. Who gives a rat's ass what you consider "heavy"?
    sorry my opinion offended you so much. you should just add me to your ignore list.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 08-20-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    If TR thought much of the song, he would be playing it live.....which he isn't...and i am guessing it will NEVER be played live...record company BS is the reason its a single

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    If TR thought much of the song, he would be playing it live.....which he isn't...and i am guessing it will NEVER be played live...record company BS is the reason its a single
    I wouldn't say "never", but was shocked it wasn't played in London tonight. I would've bet at least a hundred bucks twenty four hours ago it would've been played at that gig.

Time will tell I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't really like it. Something about the vocal processing bothers me.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    sorry my opinion offended you so much. you should just add me to your ignore list.
    I'm not offended by you. I just think its hilarious how you made such a connection. I also think its hilarious how you don't have the time to properly defend your opinion, but you sure can give people shit about not being "true fans" and being too soft.

And ignore lists are for quitters.

Ah yes. THAT must be why. It's not the fact that there's already FOUR songs from the new album on the setlist most nights.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I also think its hilarious how you don't have the time to properly defend your opinion, but you sure can give people shit about not being "true fans" and being too soft.
    Yeah I just don't care anymore. I could defend my opinion, but then I'd get 20 people responding to it calling me a hater or w/e and then I'll want to respond and blah blah blah. fuck that, don't give a fuck. you're not gonna change my mind i'm not going to change yours.

However, I have never claimed anyone is or is not a true fan, nor have I claimed any fan is too soft. I merely stated my surprise that this forum didn't lean heavier.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 08-20-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I survived everything
    I have tried everything
    Everything, everything, and anything

All the walls begin dissolve away
    Do/till your hands begin to shake, to shake, to shake, to shake, to shake
    And just who you think you used to be
    All begins to bend and break and break and break and break

Wave goodbye, wish me well
    I've become something else
    Something else, something else, it's just as well

But this thing that lives inside of me
    Will surely rise and wake and wake and wake and wake
    And its seed that bleeds right through to me
    And it comes to grab and take and take and take

I am home
    I believe
    I am home
    I am free

I am whole
    I can see
    Always here
    Finally

I am home
    I believe
    I am home
    I am free
    Someone added these different lyrics to the ninwiki page:

I survived everything
    I have tried everything
    Everything, everything, and anything

All the walls begin dissolve away
    Do your hands begin to shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    And just do what you think you used to be
    All begins to bend then break, break, break, break

Wave goodbye, Wish me well
    I've become something else
    Something else, something else, it's just this world

But this thing that lives inside of me
    The sound that rock awake, awake, awake, awake, break
    And if he depletes what's owed to me
    And it comes to grab and take and take and take and take

I am whole
    I believe
    I am whole
    I am free
    I am whole
    I can see
    Always here
    Finally

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I did not like how long, this song is miles ahead of that one.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Jumping in: I love How Long and Everything.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Man Trent must hate Memorabilia, AATCHB, Where is Everybody, Sunspots, My Violent Heart, most of Ghosts..

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    However, I have never claimed anyone is or is not a true fan...
    Yep.
    See that? That's you agreeing about the true fans post.

I merely stated my surprise that this forum didn't lean heavier.
    What does that even mean? Are we not supposed to enjoy both ends of the spectrum that Trent and the band deliver just because of the general consensus that they're a hard rock band? Fuck that shit. I've got La Mer and Happiness In Slavery in my Top 5 NIN songs list. I couldn't give a fuck about "leaning heavy".

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    @Leviathant.., or other admin/mods

Does this forum have poll capabilities? It was brought up before in one of these threads today but haven't seen an answer to it. Just a thought if you guys/gals can do it. Close this thread and have users vote, with replies disabled (will cut out the bitching) and only forum members can vote (what you vote for can be seen however). Have 5 votes:

- Liked it from the beginning
    - Took a few spins, but like it now
    - TBD
    - Heard it, still don't like it
    - Hate it, won't change my mind

Just a thought on this end. Like I said above it'll stop the bitching from people that feel one way of another- and could be fun. We need some of that around here at the time being. :P

ive been on other forums that have this type of vote- just wondering.
    Last edited by Krazy; 08-20-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

"Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Quote Originally Posted by tiempo View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying, Krazy. My hangup really has to do with it being chosen as a single, therefor assigned its own Halo. That puts it out on a different level than just being an exploratory album track - which until "Everything" there has never been one that I straight up didn't like or skip on an album. That is not true, I do skip the Adrian Sherwood mix of Starfuckers on TFA

My favorite album of all time happens to be "Pet Sounds" but I am not a fan of "Everything" at all. I am also not limited to angry/dark music and I never expect dark/angry music from each new NIN, but he has carefully created a color palate that has always been of certain shades. To me "Everything" is more shocking that TR would release it as NIN and as a single, but that doesn't make it a great track in my humble opinion especially with the always brilliant production.
    But, see, I was around when singles from "Pet Sounds" was released. And I no longer see the value of "singles." I actually own a lot of real, traditional "singles" in the form of 45 RPM records. These "singles" were marketed differently than "albums" (33 RPMs); we could buy one "single" (which included a bonus "flip side") without having to buy the entire album, and the single was not necessarily marketed as an "intro" or "teaser" to the entire album. Singles and albums were marketed as separate entities.

This is true TODAY more than before; is anybody here old enough to remember buying an ENTIRE ALBUM just for ONE SONG because that song was played on the radio but you couldn't find it anywhere as a single and THEN THE WHOLE REMAINDER OF THE ALBUM SUCKED???? AND YOU WERE STUCK WITH A SHITTY ALBUM WITH ONE GOOD SONG??

Now that we can buy any individual song on Amazon or iTunes, the "single" means nothing more than "leaking" one song at a time from an "album." Like it or not, the Halos include shit you may or may not like; Halos = fancy catchy word for "part of a catalog."

And in that line of historic thought, I like this song a lot because I think Reznor finally wrote a genuine Beatle-esque "pop" song (yet totally Reznor). And I'm pleasantly surprised. This is Reznor's Sgt Pepper's moment.

Yeah, I just said that. LOL.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-20-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    See that? That's you agreeing about the true fans post.
    so you agree, i never said it

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    But, see, I was around when singles from "Pet Sounds" was released. And I no longer see the value of "singles." I actually own a lot of real, traditional "singles" in the form of 45 RPM records. These "singles" were marketed differently than "albums" (33 RPMs); we could buy one "single" (which included a bonus "flip side") without having to buy the entire album, and the single was not necessarily marketed as an "intro" or "teaser" to the entire album. Singles and albums were marketed as separate entities.

Now that we can buy any individual song on Amazon or iTunes, the "single" means nothing more than "leaking" one song at a time from an "album."
    Like it or not, "singles" are the ones that still make it to local radio stations. And yes, people still tune into FM stations along with having interviews with band members on local airwaves/twitter links. It still makes an impression.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Like it or not, "singles" are the ones that still make it to local radio stations. And yes, people still tune into FM stations along with having interviews with band members on local airwaves/twitter links. It still makes an impression.
    Only for marketing reasons, In the 70s, AOR stations played entire albums; and terrestrial radio is going the way of the dinosaur; and, like it or not, "singles" are now (still) played to sell: Singles.

Reznor is back on a major label, now: They pick and choose potential revenue sources, marketing channels and methods, and -- like it or not -- the ( dreaded by fans) crossover. Columbia could eventually release every song on this album as a "single" and it would not cost them anything since it's entirely digital.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-20-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Did Columbia pressure TR to give them a poppy radio hit? Still kinda sorta like it except the chorus. Also big ups to whomever it was that posted the link to the TR/Josh Wink collab, I have no idea how that slipped past me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Singles have always been a way to sell an album, even when albums were only put together to repackage the single. The Beatles obviously were the ones who changed that and The Beach Boys followed suit, for a time. I am 40, so I remember spending my allowance each week on 45 singles and later 12" remix 33 1/3. A single still means something the same way the concept of an album means something, even if the record industry doesn't exist in the same way as it always has in the history of most of popular music.

The industry has been back into the "Pre Sgt Pepper" mentality of just selling the single every couple of months, even if the band is album oriented. There is also the topic of music licensing - which other than touring (and upcoming streaming) is about the only way a band can make any income these days. I am a starving musician but I still have issues with licensing for commercials (not films), because so many artists I admire said it was wrong to let someone else use your work to sell something unrelated. Like the issue with the Singles, just because in the current and shifting times in the industry of popular culture make certain things relevant or not as unhip, there is close to 75 years of history that said differently. Trent grew up worshiping Kiss and Pink Floyd, among many other bands. I guarantee the artist in him see's a Single in the classic sense, even if the wiser businessman he had to grow into knows the reality.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "Pop" doesn't really mean anything other than popular. Which is to say, if you hate something for sounding pop, you're hating it for how you think OTHER people are going to react to it. Which I really don't get. I've seen people reference Avril, Hannah Montana, Bieber, One Direction, and Hilary Duff in this thread. If a fan of any of those acts happened to hear Everything on the radio and like it... I still have no fucking clue what that has to do with Nine Inch Nails fans. If you hate the song, totally cool, but I don't understand the reasoning of hating it because it sounds "popular."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiempo View Post
    Singles have always been a way to sell an album, even when albums were only put together to repackage the single. The Beatles obviously were the ones who changed that and The Beach Boys followed suit, for a time. I am 40, so I remember spending my allowance each week on 45 singles and later 12" remix 33 1/3. A single still means something the same way the concept of an album means something, even if the record industry doesn't exist in the same way as it always has in the history of most of popular music.

The industry has been back into the "Pre Sgt Pepper" mentality of just selling the single every couple of months, even if the band is album oriented. There is also the topic of music licensing - which other than touring (and upcoming streaming) is about the only way a band can make any income these days. I am a starving musician but I still have issues with licensing for commercials (not films), because so many artists I admire said it was wrong to let someone else use your work to sell something unrelated. Like the issue with the Singles, just because in the current and shifting times in the industry of popular culture make certain things relevant or not as unhip, there is close to 75 years of history that said differently. Trent grew up worshiping Kiss and Pink Floyd, among many other bands. I guarantee the artist in him see's a Single in the classic sense, even if the wiser businessman he had to grow into knows the reality.
    Okay but Kiss, pre "Alive," had only ONE hit single; I'm way older than 40 and from Detroit, trust me, I saw them at Cobo, I was there. Kiss and Pink Floyd are examples of how singles are NOT important.

Anyway, note that this album has not yet "leaked." We are being spoon fed individual songs, via radio, Internet, videos, live performance; this is marketing of the future, to audiences beyond NIN "fans." While still carefully satiating the appetite of fans.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-20-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Personally, I think it's the latter. Everyone knows that Nine Inch Nails really died in 1988, during the drumstick intro to "Sanctified" after "Slate" wrapped up. I'm OG. Everyone else is a poseur.
    Fucking hipster poser. All of Purest Feeling was awesome. They started sucking after they released Down In It on TVT. Record labels are so mainstream.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    It was on the setlist for lollapalooza but was scratched at the last minute. If I was the type to bet with strangers over idiotic things, I'd bet that it would be played before the festival tour is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just a quick question - why does the twittertweettwat say "If you pre-ordered #HesitationMarks from http://nin.com , check your account at http://store.nin.com/login.php to download "Everything" free."?
    If you bought the frickin album, you paid for the track. It's NOT FREE.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    "Pop" doesn't really mean anything other than popular. Which is to say, if you hate something for sounding pop, you're hating it for how you think OTHER people are going to react to it. Which I really don't get. I've seen people reference Avril, Hannah Montana, Bieber, One Direction, and Hilary Duff in this thread. If a fan of any of those acts happened to hear Everything on the radio and like it... I still have no fucking clue what that has to do with Nine Inch Nails fans. If you hate the song, totally cool, but I don't understand the reasoning of hating it because it sounds "popular."
    Totally spot on.

Reznor has been writing and selling pop since Day One. Even "Closer" is pop, albeit with the FUCK word in it (not entirely an original event).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Just a quick question - why does the twittertweettwat say "If you pre-ordered #HesitationMarks from http://nin.com , check your account at http://store.nin.com/login.php to download "Everything" free."?
    If you bought the frickin album, you paid for the track. It's NOT FREE.
    Ackkk!!!- I'm gonna try to understand what you posted...

if you purchased HM in advance (meaning you already paid for it) you can DL those singles immediately as they become available as singles. You can't purchase them as singles without that a NIN.com/itunes log in. Gotta wait until the album drops (again, that's the last time I checked on it so could be wrong)
    Last edited by Krazy; 08-20-2013 at 11:32 PM.