Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: "Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    holy shit, you're right -- we don't have time for snarky internet comments! Frankly, what the fuck are we even doing listening to music? we should be listening to the news! Only then can we save the Egyptians!
    Take it easy on the latest world news- we're still trying to figure out what to blame the Bush family on for things that haven't happened yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PM please.

11.28.2008 Rapid City SD
    09.28.2013 St. Paul MN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    In the words of my people, "no1curr".
    No one cares? You care. You have something invested in this, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    To add, Reznor's lyrical motifs are nauseating at this point. Put the "wave goodbyes" to rest, will ya? Who gives a shit?
    Help me understand the logic. If you dislike everything he is doing these days, why even come to this board? I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to be here or making any type of assertion as to where you can or cannot go but whats the point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineismine View Post
    Help me understand the logic. If you dislike everything he is doing these days, why even come to this board? I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to be here or making any type of assertion as to where you can or cannot go but whats the point?
    He's a bright guy. Why speak in rehashed generalities constantly? You think he sits on his patio, looking at LA's atmospheric gradient of pollution, thinking, "wave goodbye, i survived, nothing can stop me now"? Probably not.

The man needs a producer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He's a bright guy. Why speak in rehashed generalities constantly? You think he sits on his patio, looking at LA's atmospheric gradient of pollution, thinking, "wave goodbye, i survived, nothing can stop me now"? Probably not.

I'd love to see Flood back....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I was startled by the major chord pop progression of the verse at first, then the noisy chorus was cool. I lost it when the second verse came in double tracked. Ha! Love it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Well, he's got two producers on this album (apart from himself). And I'm not THAT invested in the song. It's a nice piece of pop fun. I'm just fascinated by all these naysayers crying doom and gloom that there is no doom and gloom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Btw I think all of you guys who are exploding about "HOW FUCKING BAD THIS FUCKING SONG FUCKING SUCKS" should probably go listen to disappointed like 1,000.. no until you can't anymore.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think there's a good reason Trent released CBH and Copy of A and hasn't played this live. I think this was held back to avoid instant negative attitudes against the album. He's smart enough to know what the reaction would be like.

Personally, I like the song, i'd like to think I get the point of it and the irony and the meaning/message behind it. Trent didn't make this song because he's trying to make accessible poppy songs to appeal and sell to the masses. The tone and sound of the song is as much a message as it's lyrics.
    Last edited by voidnz; 08-19-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Alright after a few more listens and I still don't know what I'm thinking. It starts out like the other two songs and I'm bopping my head and then the vocals come in and I'm like what the hell? Is this real? Then I'm kind of digging it and then the chorus kicks in and I'm rocking. Then we get The Cure bridge and its cool. Then the second verse hits and I'm really like WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON? But I'm still digging it weirdly. And the chorus comes in and I'm rocking again. This is certainly not what I was expecting but it's growing on me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    He was the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oy. Not understanding the desire to say "well, at least it's not as bad as [some other track poster assumes everyone hates]." There is no one track everyone hates, so then more fap erupts about what is a RIGHT AND TRUE NIN song...

I'd love to read more thoughtful discussion of the track instead of endless fighting on which posters are RIGHT AND TRUE, but I gather that's a conversation to be had someplace that isn't here.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Immediately this song is the best I've heard so far from Hesitation Marks. I've always wanted to hear Trent go positive. Man. The dream has come true..... Nine Inch Nails style positive... I really like it. In fact, this is the best NIN I've heard since the With Teeth album.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 08-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm just surprised that more people are annoyed at the really cool new nine inch nails song than Trent's response to what album he's into lately.

(Really cool album, definitely cool that Trent's been listening, but I figured nin fans would get arsey about it haha)
    Last edited by The Reason Being; 08-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That could prove exciting. The quality of great producers lies in their ability to navigate an artist into waters uncharted. We laugh about struggling as a fan base to handle the affect of the new material, when in reality, I would rather Reznor walk out of recording an album saying that it shook him to the bone, not, "frankly, it's fucking amazing", or whatever he was jazzed on.

The shock should come from him, manifested in us. Not i'm great, here's my jam, deal with it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    heh what a buncha whiners.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-19-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Well, he's got two producers on this album (apart from himself). And I'm not THAT invested in the song. It's a nice piece of pop fun. I'm just fascinated by all these naysayers crying doom and gloom that there is no doom and gloom.
    Yes, but you're invested in his story. Tell me why this single is important. And if you say that I need to listen to it in the context of the album, I then say, why release it now?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    People who feel the need to actually complain and bitch about a song are not true fans of music. If you don't like the song, that's fine. Critique it. I don't understand the argument that it's bad because it doesn't sound like prior material or what you think it should sound like. It's your own thoughts and preconceived ideas about the music getting in the way of being able to like it on it's own merits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Late to the party. Anyone wanna PM me? Please? It can't be as bad as people are making it out to be

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I hate this song, too but the production on it is very, very nice. However bad Trent's music get's some times the production is usually the best around.

This is such an obnoxious thing to say. the quality of music is peaks and valleys. to suggest that because he doesn't like the music now means that he wont like future material is so bizarre. Not to mention the whole mentality of exclusion that this represents. Furthermore, Clint illustrated a very concrete thing he doesn't like about the music. An understandable thing not to like, it seems crazy to me but the debate seems to be like this:

"I don't like the album because of reasons x, y, and z"

"you are a baby. You should just like the album because not liking it is immature" - Rob Sheridan

Am I crazy or were disagreements in the past or at least in other sections of the board hashed out more reasonably than this?

Quote Originally Posted by voidnz
    I don't understand the argument that it's bad because it doesn't sound like prior material or what you think it should sound like. .
    please show me where this argument is being made, because I haven't seen any posts like that.
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 08-19-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I just listened to it again. It's sticking in my head.

Maybe it's a grower?

I still love Copy of A best though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just don't want nine inch nails to become the nascar of the record industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    I think there's a good reason Trent released CBH and Copy of A and hasn't played this live. I think this was held back to avoid instant negative attitudes against the album. He's smart enough to know what the reaction would be like.

Personally, I like the song, i'd like to think I get the point of it and the irony and the meaning/message behind it. Trent didn't make this song because he's trying to make accessible poppy songs to appeal and sell to the masses. The tone and sound of the song is as much a message as it's lyrics.
    I remember reading somewhere that Trent didn't decide which song would be the first single, that it was the record company. A lot of posts back someone mentioned that there was another song Trent had in mind(possibly everything), but they thought CBH was a better choice.
    Everything would have been an interesting first single, after such a long break, would have shocked a lot of people. I am excited to see how this one fits on the album.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I just don't want nine inch nails to become the nascar of the record industry.
    What the fuck does that even mean?

All these comparisons to Nascar and Metallica and Radiohead are driving me crazy. I feel like you guys are speaking some cryptic code that I don't understand.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    I'm just surprised that more people are annoyed at the really cool new nine inch nails song than Trent's response to what album he's into lately.

(Really cool album, definitely cool that Trent's been listening, but I figured nin fans would get arsey about it haha)
    Disclosure is great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it will make sense in the context of the album, sound right, make the story flow. Also, I think he is trying to show how multidimensional the album will be!! Once again, I like it the more I listen to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    What the fuck does that even mean?

All these comparisons to Nascar and Metallica and Radiohead are driving me crazy. I feel like you guys are speaking some cryptic code that I don't understand.
    Knuckle-dragger singles and 40oz soda albums. Mediocrity and an excess of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denim Chicken View Post
    Alright after a few more listens and I still don't know what I'm thinking. It starts out like the other two songs and I'm bopping my head and then the vocals come in and I'm like what the hell? Is this real? Then I'm kind of digging it and then the chorus kicks in and I'm rocking. Then we get The Cure bridge and its cool. Then the second verse hits and I'm really like WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON? But I'm still digging it weirdly. And the chorus comes in and I'm rocking again. This is certainly not what I was expecting but it's growing on me.

This ^^^^^

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yes, but you're invested in his story. Tell me why this single is important. And if you say that I need to listen to it in the context of the album, I then say, why release it now?
    His "story"? Da fuq? Also, the point of a single is to raise awareness of the album, to shift copies. This is a very poppy track. It'll bring in sales. That's it.

Put down the purple drank.