Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47
Results 1,381 to 1,404 of 1404

Thread: "Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Curious thing about NIN and "Everything" in Brazil.

Well, let me situate things first: NIN is pretty much unknown down here. Few records were released here and the singles never got some distinguished airplay. "Closer" and "The Perfect Drug" got some heavy rotation on our MTV during the 90s, but since then the band is mostly known and respected by critics and indie followers. They headlined an indie festival in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro in 2005 ( amazing concerts, btw ). And they end up cancelling two solo concerts here in 2008, allegedly due to technical dificulties - though low selling tickets weren't out of question.

And the end note: guess which song has been getting some damn high rotation in our one and only rock radio ( 89FM ) here in Sao Paulo? Yeah... "Eveything" may be the first contact a lot of people will have with the band in Brazil.

As NIN are one of the headliners for our Lollapalooza chapter next year, I'd suggest TR and co to seriously think about putting the song in the setlist... ;-)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I like that idea.

Especially because Lolla Brazil and Chile usually do pro-shot videos of the headliners. So, you know...

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    How do we feel about Everything in 2023 reading back on our initial reactions?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I survived

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I have always liked that song.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I knew it would be polarizing and I was proven correct: "This is exactly the kind of track that divides Reznor’s audience along lines of pro-and-con, lovers and haters." I'm glad they finally played it live last year, the attitude broadly seems to have softened.
    Last edited by botley; 05-22-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It remains a morbid curiosity of the NIN catalogue and nearly always gets a skip from me dawg.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    It’s not my favorite but I always understood it was transparent and obvious that it isn’t this light hearted positive song that so many misunderstood it to be.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The double whammy of getting Sunspots followed by Everything at Red Rocks was sure a very memorable few minutes for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    The double whammy of getting Sunspots followed by Everything at Red Rocks was sure a very memorable few minutes for me!
    I was going to say the same thing...I really disliked Everything when it came out, grew to appreciate it a little more...but I lost my mind when they played it at Red Rocks.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The first time I heard it, I was JUST leaving a shit job I had had for a decade to go full time with the career I was put here to do.
    So...call me biased, but I like it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I still like the song, and I still laugh at some of the responses to it from back then. In my opinion, there's nothing in it that Trent hadn't already flirted with before it came out. He just decided to put it front and center for once. Is it my favorite track? Nope, but I've not buried it away like some fans have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Was a good song in 2013,still a good song in 2023.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    My favorite song on Hesitation Marks. I don't say that to be contrarian; it's just one of the few songs on the album I find interesting. I don't dislike any song on the album (though the dissonance of Disappointed can be a bit grating at times), but a lot of the songs are kind of simple in a way that gets old after several listens. Everything is fun and dynamic and complicated and has a cool emotional payoff at the end.

Release the video, Trent!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Still the worst NIN song.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    Still the worst NIN song.
    Shares the crown with God Break Down the Door for me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I can see what he was going for and I've always thought the choruses were pretty sick but it's never going to be one of my favorites. It's the grating, pop-punk-y vocals during the verses that just don't really work for me. As I've said before, the fact it was written to be included on a contractually obligated Greatest Hits release has made me appreciate how jarring and incongruous it is among NIN's catalogue of songs and ultimately I'm glad TR got over whatever insecurities he had about its reception and played it a few times live. I certainly would have been happy to see it live, it seemed like it was really fun and translated well to the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Oh man, I'm glad for you that you got to experience that! I would have been ecstatic, especially after Sunspots - I've been an extremely lucky NIN fan but I don't know if I'll ever get over probably missing my only shot to see that song after waiting so long. When they started playing AATCHB after the 2018 shows I went to, I refused to listen to any recordings of it in the hopes I'd eventually get to see it and eventually I got my chance in Philadelphia last year. I still haven't listened to Sunspots live in the vain hope I get another miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Release the video, Trent!
    The snippets we got of it in that Snynola video reel were really interesting and intriguing, definitely a cool kind of Tetsuo: The Iron Man vibe with that distinctive, almost stop-motion camera work and TR running around in a suit and glasses. Would be really cool for it to somehow see the light of day but it seems very unlikely, I'm not even sure it was finished! In any case as far as unreleased videos go, it seems worlds more promising than the original, scrapped version of The Hand That Feeds and the abandoned EDIETS one that inspired Meathead's own ridiculous version.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 05-28-2023 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo blergh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember being shocked when i first heard Everything, but definitely not put off. Like most NIN songs, there are deeper layers upon further listens, and Everything definitely isn't a clear cut "positive, happy" song when you really dig into it. Not to be a contrarian, but it's legit one of my favorite NIN songs along with God Break Down The Door lol.

It's a long shot if not an impossibility, but I'd love to see the release of the video for Hesitation Mark's tenth (!!!) anniversary.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    I remember being shocked when i first heard Everything, but definitely not put off. Like most NIN songs, there are deeper layers upon further listens, and Everything definitely isn't a clear cut "positive, happy" song when you really dig into it. Not to be a contrarian, but it's legit one of my favorite NIN songs along with God Break Down The Door lol.

It's a long shot if not an impossibility, but I'd love to see the release of the video for Hesitation Mark's tenth (!!!) anniversary.
    Seems like it was just yesterday we were getting hyped for the album release.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    The snippets we got of it in that Snynola video reel were really interesting and intriguing, definitely a cool kind of Tetsuo: The Iron Man vibe with that distinctive, almost stop-motion camera work and TR running around in a suit and glasses. Would be really cool for it to somehow see the light of day but it seems very unlikely, I'm not even sure it was finished! In any case as far as unreleased videos go, it seems worlds more promising than the original, scrapped version of The Hand That Feeds and the abandoned EDIETS one that inspired Meathead's own ridiculous version.
    Picture it...an audio/video release with ALLLLL the unreleased stuff from over the years called FAILED AND FORGOTTEN.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    I can see what he was going for and I've always thought the choruses were pretty sick but it's never going to be one of my favorites. It's the grating, pop-punk-y vocals during the verses that just don't really work for me. As I've said before, the fact it was written to be included on a contractually obligated Greatest Hits release has made me appreciate how jarring and incongruous it is among NIN's catalogue of songs and ultimately I'm glad TR got over whatever insecurities he had about its reception and played it a few times live. I certainly would have been happy to see it live, it seemed like it was really fun and translated well to the stage.

Oh man, I'm glad for you that you got to experience that! I would have been ecstatic, especially after Sunspots - I've been an extremely lucky NIN fan but I don't know if I'll ever get over probably missing my only shot to see that song after waiting so long. When they started playing AATCHB after the 2018 shows I went to, I refused to listen to any recordings of it in the hopes I'd eventually get to see it and eventually I got my chance in Philadelphia last year. I still haven't listened to Sunspots live in the vain hope I get another miracle.

Every Day is Echoing the Sound?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    People probably reacted to Bowie's "Ashes to ashes" in a similar way. Like, what is that farewell ballad is doing in the middle of the record, why is he so obviously self-referencing, we can't decide if it's gem or rubbish.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's a very well written song that's pop savvy, yet still has an edge.

Hesitation Marks is a classic.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I feel like this belongs here...probably way better than the official video anyway...