Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Interstellar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Interstellar

Chris Nolan's new film to incorporate worm holes (HULLLOOO TIME TRAVEL) and contemporary theoretical physics.

Release date : November 7th 2014

http://io9.com/heres-the-first-synop...k-i-1124335531

"The new script chronicles the adventures of a group of explorers who make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage."

"
    Renowned theoretical physicist Kip Thorne is consulting on the film as well as serving as executive producer"

This is my most anticipated for the next few years by miles and miles. Im obsessed with theoretical physics (on an amateur level of course). Worm holes! Black Holes! Multiverses! Time Travel! *passes out
    The things I'm most excited about:

1). The fact that when Nolan does high concept he allows the concept to distort the narrative appropriately. (ie. Inception and The Prestige). This film will most likely not have a linear narrative, and judging by the concept I think it will be even less linear than Inception. He clearly does not give a fuck about whether an audience is confused. He treats his audience like god damn adults even though he's an extremely mainstream director now.

2). Can you imagine what this man will do with Time Travel?

3). Can you imagine how this man will direct space?

4) Jessica Chastain.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    5) Anne Hathaway.

I love Christopher Nolan. The dude is definitely one of the best filmmakers working today.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Been waiting for this for years, it was meant to go into production way back in 2004 or something but has been in development hell, Ridley Scott was involved then i remember Steven Spielberg was about to start directing this at one point too at Pinewood studios.
    It sounds mindblowing would rather Spielberg as other than the Batman pictures am not a big fan of Nolans work, i hated Inception overall , however a few scenes were really well done. However do think he has potential to make a masterpiece. Just am huge fan of Spielbergs underrated recent Science Fiction work from past decade or so, A.I, Minority Report, War of the Worlds. But still am hopeful Nolan brings something cool.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Spreading like wildfire that Matt Damon has joined the cast.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Trailer comes out with the Hobbit tonight apparently. fuuuckkk

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    In my opinion Nolan's one of the most overhyped directors working today. I understand the appeal of his movies, but to me they're just all over the place posing to be something they're not. They appear to be intelligent and deep, touching "important" aspects of society and whatnot, while in reality they're just simple action movies backed by a big budget that sacrifice their narratives for shock value and action scenes that don't ever contribute to the story. This can be pretty entertaining, of course, but he's in no way in the same league as, say, Kubrick, Lynch, Cronenberg, Fincher, De Palma and the likes...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Cronenberg? lol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Cronenberg? lol
    Yes Cronenberg, Fincher?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Well, Fincher may be a stretch, but I think Zodiac's one of the best movies of the last 10 years, so I may be biased here...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Cronenberg? lol
    Yes, Cronenberg indeed. His last two movies were average (at best) but he's the guy who gave us Scanners, Videodrome, The Fly, Naked Lunch, eXistenZ (very underrated in my opinion) and A History of Violence. He's ace in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    Yes Cronenberg, Fincher?
    Come on now. Fincher's filmography is nearly flawless. If you watch the director's version of Alien 3 (which was put together by someone else following his vision since he wouldn't have anything to do with it after the treatment the studio gave his cut) you see a very different movie; a far superior movie without glaring plot holes and silliness. Se7en? Fight Club? Zodiac? He's ace in my book too.

As for Nolan, I love him for messing with my mind. I love him for thinking that those watching his movies are intelligent enough not to be spoon fed all the answers. I hate the little clan of his fans who worship him as a god. But he's also ace in my book.

Now I'll go listen to the trailer again just to hear Matthew McConaughey Southern drawl.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I think Nolan is aiming for something that is similar to the works of Terrence Malick with this film. I'm fucking seeing this.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    For realz? So much cliche, so much cheese in that trailer I feel like I gained several pounds just watching it.

As for Nolan, I went with Inception and dug the shit out of it.
    Thought the two Batman movies I sat through were fucking awful, and gave the third a miss. I simply do not understand why anyone raves about those movies.
    The Prestige was pretty silly.
    Memento was cool at the time, can't imagine it having any replay value.

I guess Nolan stands out because the standard for Hollywood movies is so damn low: he has a bit of flair, a bit of style, and... good self-promotion/networking skills?
    So far, he's no Gilliam/Lynch/Cronenberg not even close. His style is too mainstream bland, at least so far.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 12-14-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Well, Fincher may be a stretch, but I think Zodiac's one of the best movies of the last 10 years, so I may be biased here...
    Along with There Will be Blood most definitely.

After Inception and the last batman movie, i just couldn't care less about Mr Nolan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Im amazed at how bad that clip was. It reminded me of fucking Apollo 13.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    …how? Just because it shows stock footage from real life space travel? You know how many movies have shown stock footage like that before? A LOT. The actual footage shown in the teaser looks NOTHING like Apollo 13. If anything it looks like Star Trek and Looper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    What this teaser did was make people aware that Christopher Nolan has a new movie coming out. This was the definition of a "teaser". Sure, people like us all knew that a movie called "Interstellar" was being released by Nolan sometime in the future but the general public had no idea it was happening.

Christopher Nolan has serious cred since the Dark Knight movies/Inception and now people recognize the name. The simple announcement of a new movie from him is sufficient to who this teaser was marketed to. Brilliant move, imo. I'll wait for more but like everything this guy does, it has me interested. I watch this and I think: Christopher Nolan + Space = ... and that's all I need.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Armageddon would have been my go-to. Apollo 13 still stands up. Not that the teaser is bad (the post above me has it right), just saying that Apollo 13 isn't.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    People bitching about how bad the teaser was... Seriously? It shows maybe 2 seconds of actual movie footage. Yes, it doesn't tell anything about the movie, but as someone said, its purpose is just to notify people that something is coming.
    Last edited by fillow; 12-15-2013 at 04:45 AM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I actually can't think of a worse teaser. Awful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been a big fan of Nolan since I was able to view a Memento prior to DVD release. His weakest film was, imo, The Dark Knight Rises.Memento always struck me as a really good meditation on grief, loss, and guilt. One might argue that the greatest weakness in Nolan's work is the commonality of these themes (used in smaller films like The Prestige, Memento, and Following as well as the already mentioned big budget films like Inception and the Dark Knight series). Despite the big budgets, he's largely kept to films that resonated for me on an emotional level (Rises excepted).Overrating and underrating are meta concerns: they say nothing of the quality of the films themselves and more about the quality of criticism at play.As for Interstellar, I'm curious as to how it'll work.

He's got a great new cast and crew on this:
    Last edited by dpeters; 12-15-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I got goosebumps watching that teaser yesterday before The Hobbit. Thought it was brilliant.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    O shit so my dad is working at the LA Convention Center right now and he came home from work last night like "oh man I saw incredible spaceships today. They had the whole thing set up with tons of spaceships from a new movie coming out I think its called Interstellar or something." I was like....

Anyways he says they look incredible and that most of the planes were one man fighter ships "like Star Wars". Color me even more intrigued!
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 12-18-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The Dark Knight Rises was garbage. Inception, Begins, and Memento I think are his best movies. The trailer was nothing but "Yawn".. wake me up when we get some actual movie footage.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I think the Prestige is my favorite of his.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I absolutely love The Prestige...
    Not just my personal fave from Nolan, but up there with my all time favorite movies.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Has it become cool to hate Chris Nolan yet? Or are we past that and now in the phase of ironically liking his movies? This thread confuses me on Nolan's current 'coolness' factor...

(I enjoy Nolan's work for what it is now at this point in his career. Large, loud, blockbusters that will try and stretch your mind a bit. They are fun.

Now only if Wes Anderson saw this much hate for making the same movie but in a different universe every 2 years.)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    New trailer with Godzilla tomorrow.

Also was trying to think of more reasons why I'm so obsessed with his work, pretty much he's the only Hollywood guy whose films remind me of anime. lol

A lot of anime that I like has this tendency to not worry about whether exposition is classy in order to look at a narrative and fuck. shit. up. I just like the man's priorities. (obviously the batman films don't really count structure wise, but they were all excellent in my opinion.)

I think he is really the only blockbuster director actually subverting formula, and our marriage to what makes a good narrative from a mainstream standpoint. Or rather, he saw what he could do on a smaller scale (The Prestige and Memento) and decided to apply that system of writing to his blockbusters, and so Inception was birthed. I assume Interstellar will follow the same fuck shit up mentality.

Anyways my point is I will gladly take what people consider to be his flaws (obvious exposition, some minor characters who seem less human and more like plot devices etc.) if it means abandoning classic structure, letting high concept define the narrative style and allowing a thematic idea to reach its most "out there" possible conclusion. I just don't see anyone else doing this shit right now when it comes to really mainstream movies.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 05-15-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I saw the new trailer yesterday at work and it's REALLY good. Tons of footage on earth and really only goes into Space during the last like 30 seconds, but man was I blown away. The space suits look suuuuuper retro. I am really hyped for this movie.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I really like Nolan and think the backlash is stupid. Man of Steel sucked bad but now that it's common knowledge any input he had, which amounted to some phone calls, was shut down by Snyder and Goyer, let the silly Nolan hate be done with! Oh, you hated TDKR? That's ONE of his movies. So fucking quit it already...