Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Interstellar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just saw it yesterday. Real tear jerker at times. Loved it!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Pros - Great concept, very interesting ideas, huge emotional moments, very satisfying visual effects

Cons - Poor dialogue at times, some plot holes, wasted characters, feels like certain things were not fleshed out

also... Topher Grace? Don't put that guy in your movie unless you want people to stop and go "oh hey thats topher grace"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Soundtrack on vinyl is coming up March 16: http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/...r#.VOXXa_mG-yq

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    watched this again last night. it's really a mediocre film dressed really nicely and accompanied by a fantastic score from zimmer (even though Nolan almost ruins it with the damn mix). I really appreciate his attempt at making the focus on the science and all that but he then ruined it with all the bullcrap fluff love talk.

it's time for the fanboys to jump off the nolan hype train
    Last edited by Rabbit; 03-19-2015 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    watched this again last night. it's really a mediocre film dressed really nicely and accompanied by a fantastic score from zimmer (even though Nolan almost ruins it with the damn mix). I really appreciate his attempt at making the focus on the science and all that but he then ruined it with all the bullcrap fluff love talk.
    A few of his movies live up to all the hubbub, but YES to everything you just said about Interstellar.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I just saw that this movie is #22 on iMDB best movie of all time list and Jesus fuck, can this movie be even more overrated? I saw it three times (once in a theatre, twice on dvd/bluray) and each time I find more and more flaws in it.

The love transcends time and space crap was so incredibly cheesy. When Brand was saying that line about love I genuinely felt bad for Anne Hathaway to say something so stupid. And what a fucking crutch for the story this is? Well we don't need to explain anything, it's LOVE! It transcend EVERYTHING! And one would say, that when love and relationship between father and daughter was such important part of the premise, their final reunion would have at least some emotional impact. But nope, hey dad glad to see you, now fuck off so I can die with my real family... And why did Cooper go after Brand in the end? Were they supposed to be in love with each other? When that happened? I thought she was in love with that guy from the third planet? What if he was still alive when Cooper get there? "So um.. whatcha guys doin, eh?".

Anyway, the most overrated movie of my lifetime

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I just saw that this movie is #22 on iMDB best movie of all time list and Jesus fuck, can this movie be even more overrated? I saw it three times (once in a theatre, twice on dvd/bluray) and each time I find more and more flaws in it.
    His fanboys are RABID dude.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    IMDB ranking is always unbalanced in favor of newer films. The older they get (and the more people rate them), the better the ranking.

Actually, I would never understand why do people need to give some films more and more chances to "get it", if they didn't like them from the start. In my life I had never saw a film which I hated at first but liked later (complicated films seen in childhood don't count).
    Last edited by fillow; 03-20-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Anyway, the most overrated movie of my lifetime
    You've clearly never seen The Big Lebowski yet.
    I enjoyed the Interstellar but it was very overrated. I had high hopes for it because I've really enjoyed much of his prior work, but wasn't very impressed with this.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    You've clearly never seen The Big Lebowski yet.
    I enjoyed the Interstellar but it was very overrated. I had high hopes for it because I've really enjoyed much of his prior work, but wasn't very impressed with this.
    Oh, yeah. But I always assumed that Cohen humour isn't for everybody and I'm just tedious fuck

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    I think the Nolan hype has really been out of control since everyone had their mind blown by Inception... The guy makes clever action films (clever as in, not pants-on-head stupid), he's no Kubrick. I liked Interstellar, only because I reminded myself that I wasn't going to see 2001 all over again. The guy uses interesting premises, twists a subject, and makes an action film around it, it doesn't go much farther than this. Treating any of his movies like it reinvents social commentary and existentialism is just idiotic...
    And I love Zimmer, but someone hide the HORN button from the guy, please...

Oh, yeah. But I always assumed that Cohen humour isn't for everybody and I'm just tedious fuck
    I think their humor is quite simple really : "Everyone's a fucking idiot. Here's their story". They have the most misanthropic filmography I've ever seen. People running around trying to make sense of things, trying to find worth, trying to prove themselves, trying to make it... But they're as doomed as any imbecile can be, and surrounded by other idiots, which makes any prospect and plan an exercise in futility. "Y'all dumb as fuck" is the fundamental message of any Coen movie...
    Last edited by Khrz; 03-20-2015 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just saw that this movie is #22 on iMDB best movie of all time list and Jesus fuck, can this movie be even more overrated? (...) Anyway, the most overrated movie of my lifetime
    This only really supports the already ironclad case for ignoring movie placement on the IMDB 250. Don't even worry about 'overrated', discard the word from your vocabulary; no justice is done by complaining about others' tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I think their humor is quite simple really : "Everyone's a fucking idiot. Here's their story". They have the most misanthropic filmography I've ever seen. People running around trying to make sense of things, trying to find worth, trying to prove themselves, trying to make it... But they're as doomed as any imbecile can be, and surrounded by other idiots, which makes any prospect and plan an exercise in futility. "Y'all dumb as fuck" is the fundamental message of any Coen movie...
    Not misanthropic, but deeply humanistic, and never so simple. From your reductive reading it isn't clear which ones you're talking about.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    I know this wasn't a very popular film around here, but wanted to update on the "sound issues".

As with the Bane audio issues in TDKR, this was simply a matter of the theater not having their surround sound properly "balanced". The movie IS loud, but you are able to pick out dialogue in the middle of the rising and swelling of Zimmer's score no problem. The balance and separation on the surround is actually quite impressive, though they probably should have gone with 7.1 instead (I think Blu-ray.com was of this opinion, too).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I still don't get the hate and disdain around this movie. I was balling my eyes out during the last 20 minutes. People can dislike movies all they want, and even hate them. I'm not above that. But focus that energy towards something that deserves it, like the latest Ninja Turtles or Transformers movies. This was a movie that made lots of interesting choices, and some of them left me slightly puzzled, but I think it all tied itself together nicely.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    I still don't get the hate and disdain around this movie. I was balling my eyes out during the last 20 minutes. People can dislike movies all they want, and even hate them. I'm not above that. But focus that energy towards something that deserves it, like the latest Ninja Turtles or Transformers movies. This was a movie that made lots of interesting choices, and some of them left me slightly puzzled, but I think it all tied itself together nicely.
    Dude I was almost crying like 20-30 minutes into it. Still not done, just watching for the first time right now.
    *edit* Cooper checking his messages after the water planet. Crying. Even ETS April Fools fart sounds can't stop it.

*edit* last 20-30 minutes were tough but Coops messages after the water planet were what really killed me. I pretty much cried my eyes right out of their sockets watching him see those videos, I honestly can't think of any other film or TV show that had such a profound effect on me as that.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 04-01-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Got my Blu-ray/DVD combo in the mail yesterday. Loved seeing this movie in the theater, can't wait to watch it again.

Just to throw in my two cents on the quality of Interstellar: I agree that it's overrated on IMDB and elsewhere (I love Nolan's movies, too, but come on, people, let's be realistic here), but I also feel it doesn't deserve all the hate it's gotten either. At the very least, it's an ambitious, above-average sci-fi flick, definitely worth seeing at least once.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    The one thing that really gets me with pretty much every sci-fi movie is that no matter how advanced all of their equipment is, they still have shitty crackly radios for voice communication, which at this point is just a plot device. Right now we can transfer a pretty-fine audio signal wirelessly from a fucking cellphone to pretty much every other device that's made these days, albeit with a limited range, but still every single fucking sci-fi movie has everyone doing radio contact through an auditory cheese-grater that works just as shitty no matter if you're 30 feet or 30 light-years from the source.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    /\/\/\/\
    Good point

also, this...

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    The one thing that really gets me with pretty much every sci-fi movie is that no matter how advanced all of their equipment is, they still have shitty crackly radios for voice communication, which at this point is just a plot device. Right now we can transfer a pretty-fine audio signal wirelessly from a fucking cellphone to pretty much every other device that's made these days, albeit with a limited range, but still every single fucking sci-fi movie has everyone doing radio contact through an auditory cheese-grater that works just as shitty no matter if you're 30 feet or 30 light-years from the source.
    I completely get what you are talking about here...

This movie was not realistic, but the amount of Hawking radiation a black hole emits would probably effect radio frequencies.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I completely get what you are talking about here...

This movie was not realistic, but the amount of Hawking radiation a black hole emits would probably effect radio frequencies.
    True, but it's not just this movie, it's pretty much every movie set in the modern day or beyond, or even before. Sci-fi tech in every movie is always so insanely incredible and yet voice communication is always still sketchy at best. It's almost a trope at this point and I've yet to see a movie that tries to challenge it.

Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    /\/\/\/\
    Good point

also, this...

Every time I watch one of these, I say "this one is their best". But this is is definitely their best. "Hey, you stole that one from Event Horizon!" "Anne Goaway" "MURPH!" "Christopher Nolan's Contact".

The farts even make it better.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Anybody else trying to collect good IMAX film cells from their releases?

I bought three copies today (I know, wtf) hoping to get an IMAX scene, and only got three 35mm to 70mm Scope scenes that are all fairly uninteresting. Boooo.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Interstellar reminds me a bit of Prometheus - fine movies, but we were just expecting something... more. :-)

Anne Hathaway is cute and all (see Devil Wears Prada), but here, I don't know, maybe she was so intimidated by Matthew's professionalism she gave up on trying, like she's just on autopilot or something.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Finally saw it last night. Really cool. A wet dream for someone whos into theoretical physics like myself. Of course there are a few holes but it didnt ruin it for me. Great film. Couldnt sleep afterwards, mind was racing. Worst part was the kid from the 70's show. WTF is he doing in this movie, i thought. But whatever, he had like 4 lines. It held my attention the entire 3 hours. Visuals were amazing. Wish i wouldve seen it in the theatre or IMAX. Fucking awesome movie.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Dude I was almost crying like 20-30 minutes into it. Still not done, just watching for the first time right now.
    *edit* Cooper checking his messages after the water planet. Crying. Even ETS April Fools fart sounds can't stop it.

*edit* last 20-30 minutes were tough but Coops messages after the water planet were what really killed me. I pretty much cried my eyes right out of their sockets watching him see those videos, I honestly can't think of any other film or TV show that had such a profound effect on me as that.
    You cried? really? I sighed and was thoroughly annoyed.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Of course there are a few holes but it didnt ruin it for me.
    I only noticed one hole in the movie and it was big and black.

But seriously, I really did like the film as well but agree with most that there was so much that was lacking from it. I suspect Nolan was way over his head, budget, time constraints on this one. I can only imagine that he was doomed to try to make a much bigger (and longer film) than what had to go to print (as most big shot directors/producers usually are). The movie, as edited, already runs at 169 minutes (just under 3 hours). Sure there have been film releases in the 5-7 hour range but most typical audiences won't pay to sit in a theater longer than 3 hours. Could he have made this a 2 parter? I doubt it. Unlike Lord Of The Rings or Hunger Games, it doesn't wrap nicely into little parts that have enough entertainment value to make separate films. There was some flawed logic here and there and I do agree, after seeing it the second time, that he uses way too much exposition (why didn't he learn this style of storytelling from Kubrick instead of just the visual?).

I love Interstellar for what it is but also think it had so much more potential. I hope Nolan both sees this and learns from it because I do think he has some real skill but just doesn't know how to pull it off in the end.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I only noticed one hole in the movie and it was big and black.

But seriously, I really did like the film as well but agree with most that there was so much that was lacking from it. I suspect Nolan was way over his head, budget, time constraints on this one. I can only imagine that he was doomed to try to make a much bigger (and longer film) than what had to go to print (as most big shot directors/producers usually are). The movie, as edited, already runs at 169 minutes (just under 3 hours). Sure there have been film releases in the 5-7 hour range but most typical audiences won't pay to sit in a theater longer than 3 hours. Could he have made this a 2 parter? I doubt it. Unlike Lord Of The Rings or Hunger Games, it doesn't wrap nicely into little parts that have enough entertainment value to make separate films. There was some flawed logic here and there and I do agree, after seeing it the second time, that he uses way too much exposition (why didn't he learn this style of storytelling from Kubrick instead of just the visual?).
    Something to keep in mind, he "limits" himself storytelling-wise because of the technical limitations of IMAX film. I actually can't believe they got all 169 minutes; I guess that's why the platters weigh 50 pounds.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-03-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Ah yes! Good point! He has insisted to keep out of the digital format. Those reels are massive!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I saw Interstellar at the movies when it came out, and I watched it at home today and I would rate it higher now, 95%, honestly.