Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Music T-Shirts etc: The Merch Thread

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Music T-Shirts etc: The Merch Thread

I recently moved and had to get rid of a lot of my band t-shirts. This made me aware of how attached I am to some of them, even ones I don't wear anymore. I have accumulated several hundred of them: when I see a band I like these days I try to support them by buying a shirt. Not easy, as most merch is unimaginative and boring/something I just won't wear.

Lately I've been into white t-shirts or understated ones, or ones with no visible band logo: something a little different than the usual black shirt with obvious logo up front.

Also, some of my favourite t-shirts are bootlegs: I have two Tool 10,000 Days-era shirts I can't find internet images for, that are among my most cherished.
    Share yours/discuss merch etc...

Here are some of my favourite band t-shirts over the years:

^Word glows in the dark

^Shiny embossed logo

^I dig this ott contemporary neon style, but it's hard to find shirts in this style for bands I actually like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I also collect band shirts. For sentiment, sure, but as far as collectibles go, tees consistently retain value. 'Wish' (ahem) I still had my NIN shirts from high school. The 'Broken' and 'Ninetynine' ones are on eBay for $100+ ...so they're cost prohibitive to replace.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I just picked up this bad boy!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Picked up the QOTSA 'Succubus' shirt the other day at Squamish Festival

I wanted a Gogol Bordello shirt but only had enough cash on hand for 1. I want to order this one, but I'm moving in a couple of weeks so it has to wait:

I lost my Mastodon 'Crack The Skye' shirt, might replace it with this one soon:

And, of course, my favorite semi-band-related tee:

I'm slowly turning my t-shirt collection into entirely band tees. I'll take some of my own pics next time I've got them all out for laundry or something.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 08-13-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My favorites from my "collection":

And my most recent acquisition:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    @aggroculture I love that Tool shirt. It's one of my favorites also. I just wore mine yesterday.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    my favs:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've heard of websites/businesses where they'll make a quilt out of your t shirts. One side has the fronts and the other the backs, or however you want it. A friends wife did it with a bunch of Harley shirts. Turned out dope

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I made the mistake of selling alot of my tour shirts from when I was younger because they din't fit anymore, then I lost a bunch of weight. Including my white Fragility 2.0 shirt with the flower on the front and dates on the back, and a Lateralus tour shirt with dates (I did keep my long sleeve "Inside the Outside" Tool shirt though, thats a nice one.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    one of my recent purchases which i really love

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post

This Meshuggah black tee is fucking incredible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Love the Peeping Tom & Mr. Bungle shirt, aggroculture.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Always wanted this thing but you can only get sweat-stained, beat-up oldies on ebay.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    My favorites from my "collection":

I like and own this t-shirt.
    But it kind of falls into the category I was mentioning about black shirts with band logos: I've come to feel that they are kind of a bit aggressive: that there's something confrontational about walking down the street in one, in the way that it puts you in the category of "metalhead" or "goth" or "punk" or whatever. I used to find strength and community in this act, but now I feel it makes me something of an outsider, and I don't always want to call attention to myself in that way. I could be over-analyzing this, but I am now more wary of wearing black band shirts.

Recently I bought:

and...feel free to laugh:

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Hey you're a literature professor, right? You should wear this while lecturing.