Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Killing Joke

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    It's getting to be that time again:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Been listening to Killing Joke for the last three months. One of the best bands I've ever listened to. I think my favorite album is Pandemonium.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Been listening to Killing Joke for the last three months. One of the best bands I've ever listened to. I think my favorite album is Pandemonium.
    One of the few bands who actually get HEAVIER and MORE interesting as their career progresses. Pandemonium was a BIG step in that direction for sure. Though I love a good bit of their earlier post-punk and new wave output too!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    All eras of KJ have been great. From the early post punk stuff, to the more new wave/synth poppy albums, to the later more industrial metal stuff, they really haven't put out a bad record. The two self titled albums are probably my favorites, and they're such totally different sounds from one another.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Forgot to menton, KJ 2003 and Pylon recently got reissues. Pylon benefited from it a ton, the mix feels less muddy and the drums have more punch. I hesitated before jumping on it as it felt like it only came out yesterday (2015! How?!). But it was worth it. The original version of Snakedance is a fun, groovy track.

Jury's out still for me on the 2003 rerelease. Maybe a bit more balance, less loud. Not sure.

Picked up the the 2020 Pandemonium reissue last month, same deal, less muddy. Only thing is the CD has "front cover" printed in the middle of the artwork and 'back cover" on the rear page of the booklet. At least it comes in a slipcase

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

This performance might be the most intense performance I have ever seen from any band. Jaz looks like he's about to explode. It makes me actually want to start a band.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So I'm looking around to find a mint copy of Fire Dances, and I've noticed there's quite a number of test pressings. Aren't test pressings generally rare? How are there so many and reasonably priced?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    fucking hell.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    That one hurts. Geordie's been one of my most favorite guitarists out there and eventhough I'm not following the band as much as I used to they released some kick ass tunes once in a while over recent years.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Absolutely gutted at this news. A true original from one of my favourite bands who I've been lucky enough to see twice.

Especially sad as they were working on a new album I believe, and would have been back on tour next year.

RIP Geordie.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Heartbreaking. RIP Geordie. You legend among the greats.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Absolutely crushed by the loss of Geordie. One of my favorite guitarists of all time and a wholly unique ingredient to Killing Joke's sound over its forty year existence as a band. As with the band in general, he may not be a household name but he had a profound influence on those household names that cannot be understated. Was lucky enough to see the original lineup perform three times - the first time in 2008 when the then newly reunited original four played all of the self-titled debut and What's THIS For...! plus more at Irving Plaza in NYC, and the final time at an unbelievably tiny and intimate show at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn - and they rank among the best shows I've ever seen. Very little beyond NIN compares. And now those memories are even more treasured in my heart.

The bandmates and his family are in my thoughts. He leaves behind an incredible body of work, was active and kicking ass for decades (they released a great single just this year around the time of what is now sadly Geordie's last performance at Royal Albert Hall) and all the same was taken far too soon. Certainly an unprecedented time for Killing Joke. Jaz and Geordie have been the only constant members throughout its existence so I'm not even sure Killing Joke exists anymore, especially because he was so instrumental to the band's sonic quality. When I consider that the original lineup got back together when they were reunited by Paul Raven's death, I consider that maybe they will want to make something of this and move forward in some fashion. But whatever happens from here, Killing Joke will never be the same if it has a future at all.

Selfishly hoping that this year's single, Full Spectrum Dominance, was a tease of an album and that there is at least some finished material we haven't heard. When they were scheduled to play Sick New World last year I was hoping they'd book a few other US dates while they were stateside but then they dropped out. When they were scheduled to appear at next year's Sick New World I got up the same hope and I do believe they were gearing up to tour again but sadly it is not to be.

RIP Geordie. When it comes to your art you are irreplaceable. Thanks for all the music and memories. I'm gonna miss you.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Just found out. All I can say is FUCK. I'm sufficiently miserable that I'm angry, and I echo the above thoughts.

Their show here in 2013 or so was one of the greatest by any band I've ever attended. I only knew a select few songs at that time, and I was instantly converted overnight. They absolutely pummeled me to oblivion.

This is a tremendous loss, and I can't fucking compute it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Drug was my first one, off the More Kombat soundtrack. Still one of my favorites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sanity(The Insane Mix)no one will ever play guitar like that again,RIP Geordie.