Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Next NIN Album Speculation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Next NIN Album Speculation

What does everyone think the next NIN album will have? I'm hoping for some material like the Tetsuo theme or Year Zero. Not in a thematic sense, but musically and stylistically

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Every time I thought I knew what the new album would sound like I was completely wrong. Which is one of the many reasons NIN is my favorite band...er artist...er whatever. So who knows? It'll probably be something that will catch all of us off guard (while still sounding like NIN somehow).

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    More cowbell. That's all I ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    More cowbell. That's all I ask.
    I emphatically second this motion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm kinda hoping for something that's very different from Ghosts, The Slip, TSN and HTDA. Lots of aggression. And hopefully better lyrics than usual.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    ^ Emil said it. There's not much else I could ask for. I want another Terrible Lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well, if you guys want cowbell, there had damn well be a healthy dose of Vibraslap as well. I, I, I think we can all agree on this one. fingers crossed. lets get it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Terrible Lie with cowbell & vibraslap!
    That doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamanexit View Post
    Terrible Lie with cowbell & vibraslap!
    That doesn't seem like too much to ask for.
    Man, once I have the time to remix again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a strong feeling the next NIN LP is going to be Ghosts V-VIII.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It'll be a cover album. You've heard it here first, folks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    It'll be a cover album. You've heard it here first, folks!
    perfect. Captain and Tennille's Song of Joy has been begging for a remake. Trent doing Muskrat Love would be mind blowing, keeping in mind the copious cowbell and vibraslap.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i'm not expecting a groundbreaking release ala TDS, more probably it'll follow The slip's design and tone, something as brief and brutal, but more electronic ala YZ

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Nine inch nails, how to destroy angels... its all the same band to me. Its simply the semantics of nomenclature. I have similar feelings about omar rodriguez and the mars volta. Sometimes a band name or a record label becomes so restrictive and confining that simply going by a different name allows you more freedom and changes expectations.

As far as im concerned the last NIN album was The Social Network. The next one is the Girl With the Dragon tatoo. Its some og the best work of his career and it blows crap like the Slip out of the water. This is NIN at full potential.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love instrumental ambient NIN of Ghosts and TSN, but i'd love a modern NIN that's more heavy industrial, along the lines of The Bullet Man and shit. Also, as much as I love his instrumentals, I'd be nice to hear Trent take the mic again.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Nine inch nails, how to destroy angels... its all the same band to me. Its simply the semantics of nomenclature. I have similar feelings about omar rodriguez and the mars volta. Sometimes a band name or a record label becomes so restrictive and confining that simply going by a different name allows you more freedom and changes expectations.

As far as im concerned the last NIN album was The Social Network. The next one is the Girl With the Dragon tatoo. Its some og the best work of his career and it blows crap like the Slip out of the water. This is NIN at full potential.
    So, Atticus and Mariqueen are in NIN?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

As far as im concerned the last NIN album was The Social Network. The next one is the Girl With the Dragon tattoo. Its some of the best work of his career and it blows crap like the Slip out of the water. This is NIN at full potential.
    Seconded!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    Seconded!!!!
    yeah I sorta feel like whatever Trent does so does NIN. but it seems like NIN has become such a monolith, Trent feels like it's gotta be something beyond the beyond. To me, Trent and NIN are synonymous. I put out music under 'black-clad', but it's just me doing everything, just wanted to give it a name. Wasn't that a phrase in the movie Things to do in Denver while you're dead?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    So, Atticus and Mariqueen are in NIN?
    Hasnt Atticus always been in NIN in some form or another? Not always, but for a long time. And Nine inch Mails has always been a revoling door of cast members with trent at the center... so yeah mariqueen is easily a part of that in my eyes. The style of HTDA isnt very different from NIN you know? You could show someone TDS, Ghosts, and The Slip, and theyd be reasonable in suggesting that they might all be totally different bands.. again trent is at the center.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Hasnt Atticus always been in NIN in some form or another? Not always, but for a long time. And Nine inch Mails has always been a revoling door of cast members with trent at the center... so yeah mariqueen is easily a part of that in my eyes. The style of HTDA isnt very different from NIN you know? You could show someone TDS, Ghosts, and The Slip, and theyd be reasonable in suggesting that they might all be totally different bands.. again trent is at the center.
    Atticus has never been "in" NIN, except for Ghosts, which was a great departure musically anyway. And having a different lead singer really says this isn't NIN at all. Do you consider The Beatles and Travelling Wilburys the same because they shared a member?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Producing and prpgramming is a huge part of music like this! He may not be credited as in the band, but he was a major contribution to how that music was made.
    The Beatles are different, too, because they were a mostly fixed set of musicians. Nine Inch Nails ahas been a revolving door from the start. So adding just one person as a vocalist while maintaing the same style of music, similar instrumentation, and just changing the name doesnt really mean "new band" to me. Adding a new singer doesnt seem much different from getting a new drummer. How many drummers has NIN had?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I wait for Ghosts Cowbell Edition. 36 cowbelled songs with Mariqueens voice.
    But I hope for a second PHM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Honestly, I bet Trent is so over NIN and that it'll take some time until there will be a new album. That's why he's always so keen to call his albums "old friends".

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Producing and prpgramming is a huge part of music like this! He may not be credited as in the band, but he was a major contribution to how that music was made.
    The Beatles are different, too, because they were a mostly fixed set of musicians. Nine Inch Nails ahas been a revolving door from the start. So adding just one person as a vocalist while maintaing the same style of music, similar instrumentation, and just changing the name doesnt really mean "new band" to me. Adding a new singer doesnt seem much different from getting a new drummer. How many drummers has NIN had?
    A new songwriter, in the form of Mariqueen, a permanent music writer in Atticus and an overall different direction really says this isn't the same.And you really can't compare a drummer to a vocalist/lyricist, it's a very different job in this genre

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Sure. To each his own, thats just my thoughts on the state of nin related things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I noticed some TSN tracks in the movie Drive. Took me by surprise.

I'd really love to see another Double-Album... The Fragile gets better every listen.

Twiggy

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    I noticed some TSN tracks in the movie Drive. Took me by surprise.

I'd really love to see another Double-Album... The Fragile gets better every listen.

Twiggy
    There were no Social Network tracks in Drive. That copy you found online was a work print version of the movie.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    From Twitter:

@trent_reznor: Button pushing will commence in 4 hrs, 6 min.

That makes it midnight eastern for me. . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know that the next NIN album would be Ghosts V-VIII simply because Trent's been working on so much instrumental stuff lately. I concur with those of you that say you'd love for him to pick up the microphone again. I'd like to hear something new, yet recognizably NIN. I think that's what makes NIN great. TR doesn't just rehash old albums, but changes sounds from album to album. If I had to choose one that I'd like to hear more of, I'd say Broken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm still desperately hoping for YZ part 2 but I need to accept the fact that it's never gonna happen
    for sure I'm grateful as fuck for all the excellent soundtrack output lately... But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want "the old" NIN back