Page 1 of 64 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Ministry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Ministry

I really thought that Ministry was done for good back in 2008. From what I noticed, it has been announced that Relapse will come out on March 3, 2012. Aside from that, what do you think about Ministry's return? Do you think that Al Jourgensen should've just stopped altogether like he said he would back in 2008?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_(band)

http://www.thirteenthplanet.com/ministry/

https://www.facebook.com/Ministry

https://www.facebook.com/alienjourgensenofficial

http://www.youtube.com/MINISTRYMUSIC

https://twitter.com/alfknjourgensen
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-05-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, he should've stopped. Another whatever metal album by a guy without a clue. He's a mess... He's been releasing making-of videos on YouTube. Here's the first one (out of five):

And, for good measure, a video with al discussing marketing strategy...

There's your indicator of what kind of album he's shitting out. And he released the Buck Satan album which isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. And here's the kicker - HE CAN ACTUALLY STILL SING!!! He needs to swallow his pride (what pride there is left) and make amends with the "book club" (barker, Connelly, and Rieflin. "clever" insult Al used to reference them).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Al Jourgenson has disgraced his legacy. However Paul Barkers solo projects, Flowering Blight, USSA, have shown who the true mastermind in Ministry was. Pauls projects still sound like the classic ministry sound that we all love. Its just missing Al on vocals. Which I do miss sometimes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Al Jourgenson has disgraced his legacy. However Paul Barkers solo projects, Flowering Blight, USSA, have shown who the true mastermind in Ministry was. Pauls projects still sound like the classic ministry sound that we all love. Its just missing Al on vocals. Which I do miss sometimes...
    I agree, there needs to be Paul Barker in the equation. Also, there needs to be more Lard: the Jourgensen side-project that never went downhill. All that said, HotM had some absolute killers on it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extar View Post
    I agree, there needs to be Paul Barker in the equation. Also, there needs to be more Lard: the Jourgensen side-project that never went downhill. All that said, HotM had some absolute killers on it.
    Max Brody was still on board on that album. After that is when everything Ministry just wilted. Plus the drummer at that time was pretty cool. If the dude would just say fuck being heavy and screaming all the time it would open more doors for him. Too bad he's too drunk to figure it out.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't think I've not despised a Ministry album since Houses of the Mole.
    But I saw them live a couple of years ago and it was fun: very loud and psychedelic.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    There's your indicator of what kind of album he's shitting out. And he released the Buck Satan album which isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. And here's the kicker - HE CAN ACTUALLY STILL SING!!! He needs to swallow his pride (what pride there is left) and make amends with the "book club" (barker, Connelly, and Rieflin. "clever" insult Al used to reference them).
    I really wish that Al would do just that. I'm sure that's one of the huge reasons as to why I preferred both In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up and Sphinctour far more than Adios... Puta Madres. (Aside from the songs.) I just hope Ministry performs some songs from The Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste this time around. He just seemed to be more focused on Houses of the Mole, Rio Grande Blood and The Last Sucker. I actually liked those albums, but I still find myself preferring songs from Psalm 69 and Filth Pig live, along with every other album that came out before Psalm 69.

I'd also like to see if he might play any songs from Dark Side of the Spoon. Then again, I could understand how such requests might seem far fetched. I think Al even mentioned that the "Bush Triology" was among the most favorites of his works by far. And by the way, did Al also ignore playing anything from Animositisomina during the previous tour as well? I also made a mistake and noticed that Relapse is actually coming out on March 30, 2012. It's also interesting that you mentioned Al's singing. I completely agree with you there. I've liked his singing voice, especially in With Sympathy and Twitch. He's still got it. I also checked out the episodes for Relapse, and I suppose I'm just okay with what I've heard so far.

I'm partially not surprised that Ministry has returned either. Even when Ministry was supposedly "retired", he just didn't seem to go away with all the releases he put out after The Last Sucker.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-05-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New album? meh, I was hoping for a couple more cover and reMIXXX albums
    j/k

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Saccia's a guitar god, so I can at least expect the guitars to be amazing. I think HOTM is great (last album Saccia did, not counting great Satan). If it's another HOTM, then we at least have something better than the last few things he's done.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Wow. That is awful...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post

Well, that's as horrid as I thought it was going to be. Seems like a rehash of the previous albums exactly. I love their trash metal sound but I've grown bored of it. I know a main stay of their lyrics ever since Psalm 69 has been politically driven but it's grown tired from my attention and mindset. Time for something new already? Please?

I also don't care for the album art.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    why does anybody give a half % of a crap about this drivel?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    One of my favorite groups of all time. They dont need to reform. It does not bother me. But just seems odd. I hope Al is OK.

Also Twitch is criminally underrated. Once saw them in a really small club, with terrible acoustics and a sound system that was not being monitored properly. It was the loudest gig i have ever been to. The people running the club looked like dangerous drug dealers. I had actual pains in my ears like i had an infection for about a week after. Like someone has slapped my head hard.
    Strobes were so strong is you were epileptic you would probably have died. It did not seem macho either like they were trying to overdo everything, it just went with their music.

It was fucking amazing.
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 02-18-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ministry is like an ex-wife that got real ugly and keeps coming back for more maintanance.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Only Ministry release I can get 100% behind.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Ministry is like an ex-wife that got real ugly and keeps coming back for more maintanance.
    Well spoken.
    Edit: a cheap looking ex-wife...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    More like someone who's hit rock bottom but you can't help but watch. And I agree about Twitch. Amazing album that doesn't really get the respect it deserves.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Haha, that album cover made me laugh, am I going to hell?

Has anyone seen ministry live within the last few tours? Is it worth going to this one or have the past shows sucked ass? I'd like to see Al live but if it's not worth it then I'll find a better way to spend my money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    If the last tour is any indicator, I'd say it depends. If you plan on expecting to hear the hits, no. If you expect a set list with the new album, the bush albums, and a classic song or two - go for it. The bush trilogy is very more miss than hit with me. So paying for overpriced tickets to see that stuff isn't exactly ideal. You could always get the titanium package with a "chance" of meeting Grampa Jourgensen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The last 3 tours have kicked ass & with all-star lineups too. Never had a clue about animositisomina goin on around here.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    were you part of the old boards? because the old ministry thread was chok-a-blok full of complaints and musings on the band's former glories and current atrocities.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not many defenders of nu-ministry. If you enjoy it, good for you. I, personally, think it's a trainwreck for Al to continually try to thrash when he doesn't even listen to the genre. And it's debatable on your term of "all-star". Campos is probably the more successful of the lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I was. With all the metal crap out there, I'm not sure how Ministry's trifecta doesn't measure up against any of it or atleast pass it all with ease. Out of his prime smime, Al's used the vocoder forever so what's the fucking difference. It feels to me the hate goin on is manufactured out of something different than the content on those last 3 albums, they're massive albums that have the same if not greater effect on me than LORAH, PSALM69, TMIATTTT whatever.. it's all different.. but the opinion here is old. The same people are in here that hated them for the last 5 years. What are we doing in here? Cuz they're re-releasing the old shit for $$$ so we'll bitch about that. hah. Any time someone new walks in here, the trilogy is passed off as an ill recommendation based not on fact, but loose opinion. I'd call HOTM & TLS complete epic pieces, but then again... that's just me. Power in numbers don't really supercede personal taste or a chance at some new music, but no one's ever going to change the minds of those already made up. Dunno. Just my opinion.

Has any one here even seen a show lately since the nu-stuff is 'crap'? Campos is the least integral in my opinion of the lineup last 3 tours. If you don't really see the significance of what the rest have had to offer I'd say you're missing out again.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally View Post
    Yeah I was. With all the metal crap out there, I'm not sure how Ministry's trifecta doesn't measure up against any of it or atleast pass it all with ease. Out of his prime smime, Al's used the vocoder forever so what's the fucking difference. It feels to me the hate goin on is manufactured out of something different than the content on those last 3 albums, they're massive albums that have the same if not greater effect on me than LORAH, PSALM69, TMIATTTT whatever.. it's all different.. but the opinion here is old. The same people are in here that hated them for the last 5 years. What are we doing in here? Cuz they're re-releasing the old shit for $$$ so we'll bitch about that. hah. Any time someone new walks in here, the trilogy is passed off as an ill recommendation based not on fact, but loose opinion. I'd call HOTM & TLS complete epic pieces, but then again... that's just me. Power in numbers don't really supercede personal taste or a chance at some new music, but no one's ever going to change the minds of those already made up. Dunno. Just my opinion.

Has any one here even seen a show lately since the nu-stuff is 'crap'? Campos is the least integral in my opinion of the lineup last 3 tours. If you don't really see the significance of what the rest have had to offer I'd say you're missing out again.
    Dude no. These last few years have been nothing but half-assed. Nothing different. All he's been doing is milking psalm 69. He did HOTM, which I like. The problem comes after that. He decided to do the same exact thing. Only difference, is that he had Victor and Raven contributing. Nothing new about it other than the guitars Then he did The Last Sucker with yet another guitarist and yet again, does the same exact thing. And the production, far worse than before. And the introduction to that shitty drum machine he's used ever since.

You can honestly say that garbage is better than anything Slayer or any band has ever done? He's ruined ministry, ruined the Cocks. His "final tour" was the ultimate "fuck you". Advertise that they would play the hits that made him famous throughout the years. What we ended up getting was an entire show of the bush albums, shitty covers, and FOUR classics (if you were lucky).

He's a drunk old has-been who doesn't give a shit, writes music than I could probably write in less than an hour. No originality. You posted at Piss Army, didn't you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ old hairball I guess needed come up. Would like to see the new board be more about personal taste than the atrocity that it sometimes was in certain threads before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I really thought that Ministry was done for good back in 2008. Do you think that Al Jourgensen should've just stopped altogether like he said he would back in 2008?
    I'll say what I used to say - Exactly who... was? 'The Last Sucker' anyway?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Every band that says 'I'm done, this is it, the final tour/album' is usually telling a boldface lie. I don't even know why they bother stating that sentence or a variation on it. Though some bands, a small select few, actually do hold true to that sentence.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Every band that says 'I'm done, this is it, the final tour/album' is usually telling a boldface lie. I don't even know why they bother stating that sentence or a variation on it. Though some bands, a small select few, actually do hold true to that sentence.
    After always seeing musicians renege on such claims most of the time, I'd have to agree with you. Final tours/albums are akin to making goodbye threads at a forum in the music world. As for Relapse, I'm sure I'm not going to hate it or dislike it, but I'm not denying that Ministry hasn't been the same in a long time coming, and while changes can be great, some things are just better off left alone.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-21-2011 at 11:23 AM.