Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Ministry

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Blah!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's awful. Thankfully, I didn't pay for it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Eh, it's ok. Same typical sound and fashion of the last albums. I like their thrash sound and I adore Rio Grande Blood but I'm not digging the sound much anymore. It's not that I don't like progression in terms of sound from 90's to now but the sound and themes have been stagnant for the past 3 albums. Grown tiresome.

In recent news, TLS's "Watch Yourself" was remixed by danny Lohner (aka Renholder) for the new Underworld soundtrack coming out next month. Video for it on Danny's facebook.

P.S. I know you are a member and will probably read this, Danny. Shed some light and insight on it!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Musically it's pretty cool imo. Lyrically it's fucking terrible.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    99 percenters is private and I can't find the renholder remix. someone help please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea I posted a bit on the pissarmy, Piko

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Listened to Dark Side and Animositisomina a lot more than any other Ministry album this year. Can't get enough of them (though I have to sew me some new ears after every listen)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I welcome new Ministry material, but he needs to stop rehashing the same sound. What made Ministry a classic band was the awesome progression of their sound. I loved the variety of the great Ministry albums from the 80s...new wave, dance, industrial, experimental, ambient/collage, metal. Filth Pig and Dark Side of the Spoon brought some of this back, but for the most part he seems to be obsessed with making his music and image as "Psalm 69: Bigger and Badder" with every new album.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    its obvious he doesn't care what we think.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He's at least always stayed true to what he wanted and vice versa. And he's always been like that. His song selections while touring are a perfect example of that. When he was touring for Filth Pig, he wanted to play nothing but Psalm 69 and that album. But thankfully snuck in a few "oldies". But unlike them, he's not getting tired of the same old thing. By the time Psalm 69 came around, Twitch was just a mere afterthought. If only he would do that with the new album and stick to that routine.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Early Trax compilation has been on heavy rotation of late. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So I think Crumbs is one of their best songs from the 90's (and overall to me). Listened to Filth Pig again after some time, kind of a screwy and dark album that is. Lurve it.

Also for the record, I hate and don't know why Jesus Built My Hotrod is such a popular song. I think it sucks a lot. Never did like it. Also, With Sympathy is the shit. I've giving old Ministry albums a spin last night and this morning for fun. been awhile since I've had a proper listen.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 12-31-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    The Early Trax compilation has been on heavy rotation of late. Good stuff.
    Early Trax has easily become on of my favorite Ministry compilations. Some of my favorite songs from Early Trax would be Nature of Love, He's Angry and Overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    So I think Crumbs is one of their best songs from the 90's (and overall to me). Listened to Filth Pig again after some time, kind of a screwy and dark album that is. Lurve it.
    As do I. Did you also find yourself loving Dark Side of the Spoon as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Also for the record, I hate and don't know why Jesus Built My Hotrod is such a popular song. I think it sucks a lot. Never did like it. Also, With Sympathy is the shit. I've giving old Ministry albums a spin last night and this morning for fun. been awhile since I've had a proper listen.
    While I didn't think it sucked, I also had a hard time understanding that myself. I also agree with you on With Sympathy as well. I loved songs such as Effigy (I'm Not An), Work For Love, Here We Go, Say You're Sorry and She's Got A Cause. (That's a whole lot of With Sympathy anyway, and I've also had that the album on heavy rotation as well.)

As for 99 Percenters, here's a URL on YouTube that actually works.

I just don't see why it would have to be set to private if it would've inevitably leaked anyway.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-04-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My current favorite Ministry track is WHAT ABOUT US which is not on youtube, it was in Artificial Intelligence by Steven Spielberg, very odd but cool seeing Ministry in that film, works perfectly.*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    My current favorite Ministry track is WHAT ABOUT US which is not on youtube, it was in Artificial Intelligence by Steven Spielberg, very odd but cool seeing Ministry in that film, works perfectly.*
    I've always loved that song. It's also on their 'Greatest Fits' album.

RE: the new song... it's like TLS, the lyrics, while never Ministry's strong suit, are horrible.

It's all been downhill since The Dark Side of the Spoon... Animositisomina had some moments, Rio Grande Blood was fun in parts too.

The Last Sucker was embarrassingly bad, I know Al has abandoned his industrial roots in favor of punk/thrash/speed/metal but I wish he'd go back the 'old' sound. Maybe Paul was the reason I loved Ministry... since he left they haven't been half as 'interesting'.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Pauls current music is excellent. its everything i loved about ministry. with the exception of Al's vocals. I miss those in pauls music. maybe he can work with connelly again. or ogre. since they contributed lots of vocals to ministry back in the day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    99% sucked. That was horrible. I can't believe Al thought that is was good enough to put out.
    I love all of their albums, including the last trilogy, but that was song is bad. Mostly the vocals and lyrics. It sounds like a bad frat house song, that frat boys would sing not even knowing what they are saying.
    If that is how the rest of the cd is going to sound, then this will be the first album of theirs I don't buy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Pauls current music is excellent. its everything i loved about ministry. with the exception of Al's vocals.
    I just listened to some Flowering Blight - you are 100% correct - it's EVERYTHING Ministry is sorely missing these days... I guess in the Paul/Al split a backed the wrong horse and kept following Al when Paul was the one I should have been paying attention to.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'll have to check out the Flowering Blight. I've heard a lot about it. I love the With Sympathy era...there's also a good number of great unreleased tracks that were played live during this era. I like that 99% is bringing back some melody, the intro reminds me of their song "Overkill" from 1980. Al is still my hero.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    In other news, the documentary Fix comes out in April. http://www.fixtheministrymovie.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    About fucking time.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    That's a relief. I was a bit worried that it would never come out. I'm definitely going to make sure that I save up for both Relapse and Fix this year.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Extremely positive review.
    MINISTRY manages to prove that they are not immune to the trappings of releasing one of an album's worst tracks as a single on 99 Percenters. A protest song for the "Occupy Movement," 99 Percenters falls flat musically, and from a lyrical perspective feels unfinished.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I think there's about a total of four reviews out there. All of which are horrifyingly positive. 99% is pretty mediocre, and one review I've read actually calls that one the only weak track off the album. These all seem like metal reviewers though. But who knows? Maybe this one's gonna be alright... Have to hear it for myself.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So this review tells me Filth Pig and Dark Side were bad albums and Relapse is gonna be much better? Did Al write this bullshit himself?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    In some circles, it's ok to hate the 90s stuff. Psalm 69 is te best thing ever and so on. Personally, Filth Pig is in my top 3. Certainly above Psalm 69.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Relapse > Filth Pig and Dark Side of the Spoon

Haha, all righty then.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's a safe bet that nothing he will do will ever even come close to Filth Pig. And as erratic and chaotic as Spoon is, that too. Strung out Al = Creative Al.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    listen to barkers work. I think its more like Strung out Al = Paul gets to do what he wants because Al is strung out....

Its become painfully obvious to me that Al Jourgenson was NOT the mastermind in Ministry. He was just an outspoken assface that got the band notoriety because a label signed him to make synth pop once.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Yeah, Paul contributed ALOT to the sound and took a lot with him when he left. But I remember seeing an interview with Paul saying that it was mostly 50/50. Think their partnership's been mostly a "keep the other in check" kind of thing. Paul was surely more than "just the bass player".